166mph biker jailed for nine months

blondejamtart

Miller Jambo 60
If the former actually came to court then he got a light sentence in my opinion.

With the latter, so what if his bike was designed to go umpteen mph. The law is quite clear on what the speed limits for certain stretches of road are. Also, surely this man would know that 166mph is excessive. He decided to go for it anyway and run the risk of being collared. If he gets it felt then tough.

He was lucky he never got life, he was 176.6% OVER the speed limit.

Selfish bassa IMHO.

Thing is as we all know, you come off a bike at that speed and its curtains.

Doug.

He was lucky he never got life, he was 176.6% OVER the speed limit.

Selfish bassa IMHO.

Thing is as we all know, you come off a bike at that speed and its curtains.

Doug.

I see what you're saying Doug, but the point is the kid never hit anybody.

If he did cause an acciennt, hit a predestrian, came off the bike and did himself or anyone else an injury, or god forbid worse, then by all means throw him in jail and chuck away the key.

But he didn't.

Rightly or wrongly people escape jail for violent crime. People get less of a custodial sentence for causing death by dangerous driving. People don't get jailed for running the barrier at a level crossing, IMHO the worst and most selfish offence possible on our roads - the Selby disaster showed what can happen if a train his a car yet it still happens with alarming regularity and people get 3 points, a fine and a slapped wrist.

Based on our judicial system as a whole, that makes kids sentence way OTT.

I have driven at 143mph (verified by GPS) on the Autobahn in Germany. Perfectly legal and more than a little scary. I agree with the earlier poster that at these speeds you are at 100% concentration, which is a lot more than you have when plodding along at 60 or 70mph on a familiar road.

I am not condoning his behaviour, but funny how this can be legal in some countries, and punishable by jail in others.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

You've got to love motorcyclists and the absolute dross they come out with.

As for the guy's sentence? Nine months seems fair enough to me.

I have driven at 143mph (verified by GPS) on the Autobahn in Germany. Perfectly legal and more than a little scary. I agree with the earlier poster that at these speeds you are at 100% concentration, which is a lot more than you have when plodding along at 60 or 70mph on a familiar road.

I am not condoning his behaviour, but funny how this can be legal in some countries, and punishable by jail in others.

It's not legal to drive at such speeds on a single carraigeway road in Germany. I too have driven very fast on the Autobahn ( 125mph ) in my car but it's not something I'd recommend or do again tbh. :th_o:

It's not legal to drive at such speeds on a single carraigeway road in Germany. I too have driven very fast on the Autobahn ( 125mph ) in my car but it's not something I'd recommend or do again tbh. :th_o:

Even the Autobahns are becoming more and more restricted, but the newer sections of road in the old GDR are superb. BTW - The lane discipline of the drivers in Germany is very good, i.e. no 'fast' lane dawdlers!!

Doctor FinnBarr
Of course the car driver has the far greater survival chances. I'm not arguing that, nor am i defending a guy doing 166mph. It's suicidal on a public road.

I know another biking poster, Therapist, shares this view. If everyone that drives a car was made to learn to ride a motorbike our roads would be a safer place.

I think it was Lawrence of Arabia (another biker) that reckoned that car drivers should be made to drive with a blade sticking out of the steering wheel. This in the days before seatbelts would have reduced the accident rate big style!

:th_o:

Even the Autobahns are becoming more and more restricted, but the newer sections of road in the old GDR are superb. BTW - The lane discipline of the drivers in Germany is very good, i.e. no 'fast' lane dawdlers!!

It's bit scary when you are in the fast lane in Germany and you see some headlights about a mile back and 3 seconds later they are on your tail. :th_o:

And you have some evidence to substantiate that using a mobile at 30mph is more dangerous than riding a bike at 166mph?

That's not what I said Dave. I said there is evidence that someone using a mobile whilst driving is more dangerous than a driver who is over the limit by one or two drinks.

However I will also say that a rider travelling at 166 mph on the right bike, on a straight road, in good conditions (dry and good visibility) and with no other traffic around, is safer than both.

And Thor's right about what he said earlier about my views.

hamill the jambo

Think when u set a new speeding record and theres so much press coverage of it, if a strong message isnt sent its only going to cause more people to try these speeds. If the roads were quiet and the conditions were ok. I think a long ban and a big big fine would b enough

usual anti biker stuff from the courts, there are loads of **** who get a slap on the wrists for doing much worse, the only life at stake riding that fast was the guys own. he deserves the ban but not the prison sentance. pity they dont jail the halfwits who pullout in front of bikes or cut right across you, the usual reply is sorry mate didnt see you. had to take drastic evasive action a few years ago, so so lucky to stay on. managed to turn round futher up the road and catch him up. gave him a wee talking too:10900:.

Miller Jambo 60
usual anti biker stuff from the courts, there are loads of **** who get a slap on the wrists for doing much worse, the only life at stake riding that fast was the guys own. he deserves the ban but not the prison sentance. pity they dont jail the halfwits who pullout in front of bikes or cut right across you, the usual reply is sorry mate didnt see you. had to take drastic evasive action a few years ago, so so lucky to stay on. managed to turn round futher up the road and catch him up. gave him a wee talking too:10900:.

Quite right too mate, a lot of clowns on 4 wheels too.

A few years ago was driving down the A7 towards carlisle and the braindead tube in front of me decided to overtake on a blind hill.

I froze as he passed the car , as i was waiting for some poor sod coming the other way to hit him head on.

He got away with it, madness.

Doug.

Doctor FinnBarr

"I didn't see you" is no longer a valid excuse.

I'm not talking about accident or speeding reports, I'm talking about a Sheriff justifying a sentence.

Incidentally, exactly how many accident and/or speeding reports have you seen that resulted in the conclusion that they don't all mention "other vehicles in the vicinity"?

Quite a few when i worked 10 years at a solicitors office and spent a lot of that time going through solicitors files and High Court litigation files that involved both speeding and accident reports.

Do you ride a bike mate?

I do. It's a Honda Fireblade 1000cc. It's capable of 180mph should i choose to ride it at that speed. In fact it's derived from a long line of Honda grand prix bikes. It's designed to work incredibly well at speeds well in excess of the national speed limit.

Now your question. Who's more in control? A guy riding a bike at speeds of 100mph + or some tosser/bint with their mobile to their ear on the bypass or Queensferry road. I'll go with the guy on the bike every single time.

You see when you get on a bike and ride around you are 100% focussed on what you are doing, you can't afford not to be.

On the other hand someone in the car, a cosseted environment, comfy seat, air-con, cd on, the phone goes you answer it and you lose at least 50% of your already low concentration levels in something that weighs around 2000kg moving at 30/40/70mph.

I'm willing to bet that my reactions on a bike doing 100mph are far quicker than yours in your car doing 30mph when you're on the phone.

The reason why? normally because my arse is twitching like a rabbit's nose every time i step on the bike and ride along the bypass/major roads and come up against someone on their mobile taking that call that cannot wait, you know that life or death call.

I'd say the bint doing 30.

Correct me if i'm wrong about the geography here, but I'm fairly positive there's a notorious stretch of road in Yorkshire (long winding roads etc etc) that has claimed a few bikers over the years doing just that - speeding. As far as I'm aware it's the bikers that cause these incidents becasue more often than not it's them that are using the full width of the road as to use their supped up bikes at full pelt, so aye, you can never be in full control if you're using public raods that aren't designed to be used as speed tracks.

The Mighty Thor

Correct me if i'm wrong about the geography here, but I'm fairly positive there's a notorious stretch of road in Yorkshire (long winding roads etc etc) that has claimed a few bikers over the years doing just that - speeding. As far as I'm aware it's the bikers that cause these incidents becasue more often than not it's them that are using the full width of the road as to use their supped up bikes at full pelt, so aye, you can never be in full control if you're using public raods that aren't designed to be used as speed tracks.

And what about the thousands of bikers knocked off, many killed, on public roads observing the speed limits with headlights ablaze, whilst wearing hi-viz bibs by people that 'didnae see ye likes'? I've been in more danger on my bike through the actions of other drivers than i've ever been through my own stupidity or lack of skill.

Here's a wee thing for you next time you're in the car. look around at other drivers, watch what they do. Watch how infrequently they look in their mirrors, count how many you see in an average trip doing some of the following: using the phone, fiddling with the radio, texting, punching stuff into the sat-nav, nagging at the kids in the back, using electric razors, reading the paper, eating, drinking, smoking, kissing their partner, checking the glove box, hunting for cd's, putting on make-up etc etc etc......

All these things i've seen while i'm on my bike concentrating 100% on what i'm doing, trying to get to where i'm going in one piece.

Reckless bikers? don't make me laugh. Bikers are the most aware people on the roads.

Doctor FinnBarr
And what about the thousands of bikers knocked off, many killed, on public roads observing the speed limits with headlights ablaze, whilst wearing hi-viz bibs by people that 'didnae see ye likes'? I've been in more danger on my bike through the actions of other drivers than i've ever been through my own stupidity or lack of skill.

Here's a wee thing for you next time you're in the car. look around at other drivers, watch what they do. Watch how infrequently they look in their mirrors, count how many you see in an average trip doing some of the following: using the phone, fiddling with the radio, texting, punching stuff into the sat-nav, nagging at the kids in the back, using electric razors, reading the paper, eating, drinking, smoking, kissing their partner, checking the glove box, hunting for cd's, putting on make-up etc etc etc......

All these things i've seen while i'm on my bike concentrating 100% on what i'm doing, trying to get to where i'm going in one piece.

Reckless bikers? don't make me laugh. Bikers are the most aware people on the roads.

The last figures I can remember reading gave 2 wheeled accidents caused by other vehicles running at 62%.

i think most bikers have far more awareness and concentration than car drivers, we have to be its the only way to stay alive. have to say we can be our own worst enemies. sometimes the frustration of sitting behind slow drivers leads you to take chances you wouldnt normally. i had two very lucky escapes on a run to the green welly (tyndrum) in september. two very stupid overtakes, my wife was on her own bike a bit further back and gave me an earfull when we parked up. as for the guy doing 166mph, it may be the fastest recorded by the police but lets be honest we all know riders who have exceeded that. i,ve met at least 3 riders who have done 200+. wouldnt recognise them again as they were wearing dark visors:smiley2:.

bike and football related, was walking up the fulham road on saturday after the chelsea (champions 09/10) and had to squeeze by somebikers outside a boozer (bull n boar ?) only when i got passed i recognised that one of them was carl fogerty. what are the chances of that??. think he may be a blackburn supporter. he was smiling and having a laugh with everyone outside.

The Mighty Thor
The last figures I can remember reading gave 2 wheeled accidents caused by other vehicles running at 62%.

Correct. The figure is 62% from the last RoSPA report in 2006.

Reckless biker though! :th_o:

• 2 weeks later...

ok, read this and you realise why so many bikers are angry at the difference in sentencing. she was ****ed and weaving all over a busy dual carriageway putting lots of lives at risk (1.30 in the afternoon) 2 year ban and a fine. the biker (not condoning his speed) only put his own life at risk on a deserted road. why the heavier sentence?? the "justice" system in this country is a joke.http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Nursing-boss-stopped-on-A9.5821463.jp

Miller Jambo 60
ok, read this and you realise why so many bikers are angry at the difference in sentencing. she was ****ed and weaving all over a busy dual carriageway putting lots of lives at risk (1.30 in the afternoon) 2 year ban and a fine. the biker (not condoning his speed) only put his own life at risk on a deserted road. why the heavier sentence?? the "justice" system in this country is a joke.http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Nursing-boss-stopped-on-A9.5821463.jp

You are correct mate, must have been some lunchtime drink:th_o:

i,ve met at least 3 riders who have done 200+.

Highly unlikely unless they're on a drag bike. The laws of aerodynamics mean it's incredibly difficult getting incremental mph gains when one reaches Hayabusa speeds of 180 mph.

The UK press have published stories about 200 mph road bikes in the past but it's an utter fallacy.

Quite close to us is the notorious Macclesfield to Buxton road which has a bad reputation for bikers driving at excessive speeds and causing accidents, also the Snake Pass between Manchester and Sheffield which may be the one you refer to

Highly unlikely unless they're on a drag bike. The laws of aerodynamics mean it's incredibly difficult getting incremental mph gains when one reaches Hayabusa speeds of 180 mph.

The UK press have published stories about 200 mph road bikes in the past but it's an utter fallacy.

Absolutely correct - I believe it was one of the anti bike Assistant Chief Constables from somewhere about Yorkshire who started this one along with the myth that very few bikers pay road tax. When asked to name 1 production bike that could do over 200mph, he was forced to admit he'd got it wrong (i.e. lied) / also had to admit the info about road tax was made up too IIRC.

The best bit was when it turned out that he'd been done for speeding on a couple of occasions. I'm sure MCN ran a campaign against this clown a while back.

fairly recently i read an article in a motorcycle magazine (cant remember which one) which claimed you could acheive 200+ for around ?6000, it involved a used busa and a few goodies. as for the drag factor, superbikes are regularly topping 200+ at the north west (the long straight up to university) and at the tt. on another note espn classic are showing loads of old motogp races, back when it was actually exciting.

fairly recently i read an article in a motorcycle magazine (cant remember which one) which claimed you could acheive 200+ for around ?6000, it involved a used busa and a few goodies.

That's stretching it. IMHO you'd need a LOT more than that.

superbikes are regularly topping 200+ at the north west (the long straight up to university) and at the tt.

No they're not. Only MotoGP bikes top 200, and they have significant power and weight advantages.

Going back to the OP, it's very harsh.

On an long straight open road, perfect conditions and visibility I'd be tempted to open it up and I'd certainly not expect, if caught to get a longer stretch than you would get for mugging an OAP.

Still, my Vespa only hits 80 on a good day and it would have to be a very very long road, downhill would be good, so it's not ever going to be an issue for me.

:10900:

It's unbelievable how many people on this thread seem to think speeding in a motor car or motorcylce is in some way acceptable "if you know what you are doing", "conditions are good", "no-one is around" etc etc.

There are innocent, law abiding people killed on our roads week in, week out thanks to these entirely selfish and deluded individuals who think they are the best drivers/riders in the world. Jail the lot of them.

It's unbelievable how many people on this thread seem to think speeding in a motor car or motorcylce is in some way acceptable "if you know what you are doing", "conditions are good", "no-one is around" etc etc.

There are innocent, law abiding people killed on our roads week in, week out thanks to these entirely selfish and deluded individuals who think they are the best drivers/riders in the world. Jail the lot of them.

A fair comment, however at what point above the speed limit should jail become the agreed punishment? Speedlimit + 5mph, 10 mph, 30 mph or ???? Also, what about the mobile users, the drunk drivers etc etc?

Don't get me wrong here, I think your point is valid, just a bit difficult to put into practice.

If the punishments were clear and applied consistently then I don't think there could be much of a complaint. The problem at the moment is that bikers have a perception that they are treated more harshly than car drivers for similar motoring offences. As already said by others, when your on a bike you do see an incredible amount of poor car driving - the mobile user weaving across 2 lanes is a particular dislike of mine. I may be wrong on this but I'm sure I read somewhere that people talking on their mobiles have less control over their cars than people over the alcohol drink drive limit.

So from a bikers point of view, if your above the speed limit, drunk / on a phone, weaving across the road but driving a car you get a fine and a ban. Even if you kill someone you don't necessarily get locked up.

On the other hand, going above the speed limit on a bike (admittedly significantly over the limit) gets you jailed possibly for longer than a car driver who's killed someone. Is that fair?

That's stretching it. IMHO you'd need a LOT more than that.

No they're not. Only MotoGP bikes top 200, and they have significant power and weight advantages.

http://www.northwest200.org/default.aspx

as it says, rutter made 201mph in 2005 at the northwest, bruce anstey recorded 206mph on the sulby straight at the 2006 tt on a gixer. wish i could remember which mag i read the article in, certainly 200+ isnt possible on a road legal bike. also you tube is full of 200+ rides but would thinlk a lot of the speedos are not accurate at those speeds.

back to the subject of bad driving, almost taken out today by a tool in car decidng that he did actually want to go down the sliproad of the motorway that i was already riding down!! no indicators or anything, an utter fud!!. then had to undertake on m8 after newbridge as 2 women in a merc people carrier were sitting in the outside lane at 65mph, despite flashing my headlite 3 or 4 times they were oblivious to anyone else on the road, when i looked back a load of cars were having to cut into the inside lane, stuff like this isnt good for the blood pressure. mind you its not as bad as watching hearts these days:10900:

Marmeladent?rtchen

OMG I know this guy as at high school.

He did a crime,,, but (although I have not seen him for over 13 years) he was never a bad person.

"seduced by speed" sounds very appt.

Archived