166mph biker jailed for nine months

blondejamtart

More than fair. What a selfish tube.

So it's harsh?

I'd say it's pretty fair although he will only spend about 3 months in prison.

The Mighty Thor
Selfish clown, pity he didny crash :smiley2:

Oh dear. That's not the most intelligent thing i've read on here. Have you any concept of the aftermath of a motorcycle accident? It's usually fatal and never pretty.

The guy was caught bang to rights and has been dealt with through the court system. That's what it's there for.

Sadly guys like this vilify bikers overall and we all end up being tarred with the same brush.

Personally speaking I hope the courts and the police start to impose more severe penalties on people who still use mobiles whilst driving as to my mind they are a far greater danger to other road users.

So it's harsh?

I'd say it's pretty fair although he will only spend about 3 months in prison.

No - it's fair to the point of being overly generous. He could have killed innocent people with his recklessness.

jambojackbilly
Oh dear. That's not the most intelligent thing i've read on here. Have you any concept of the aftermath of a motorcycle accident? It's usually fatal and never pretty.

The guy was caught bang to rights and has been dealt with through the court system. That's what it's there for.

Sadly guys like this vilify bikers overall and we all end up being tarred with the same brush.

Personally speaking I hope the courts and the police start to impose more severe penalties on people who still use mobiles whilst driving as to my mind they are a far greater danger to other road users.

Having lost my Brother in Law to some drivers selfishness and down right stupidity i am well aware of the realities

I just wish those that care little and are totally indifferent to others safety when on the road, paid the ultimate price when it comes to it and not some innocent who was in the wrong place

166 MPH not on no excuse

The Mighty Thor
Having lost my Brother in Law to some drivers selfishness and down right stupidity i am well aware of the realities

I just wish those that care little and are totally indifferent to others safety when on the road, paid the ultimate price when it comes to it and not some innocent who was in the wrong place

166 MPH not on no excuse

Not being defended by me. 166mph is suicidal.

Glib remarks about crashes. Not on.

jambojackbilly
Not being defended by me. 166mph is suicidal.

Glib remarks about crashes. Not on.

When i mentioned crash i never asked for a fatality

Anyone who thinks he has nothing better to do than drive at that reckless speed will never merit any sympathy from me

Poor him eh, well i say f *** him and i hope he rots because i believe had he not been caught he may have done a lot more damage

Miller Jambo 60
When i mentioned crash i never asked for a fatality

Anyone who thinks he has nothing better to do than drive at that reckless speed will never merit any sympathy from me

Poor him eh, well i say f *** him and i hope he rots because i believe had he not been caught he may have done a lot more damage

Deserves all he got and as for mobile users should get an Auto 3 month ban.

No excuse

Pull over and use the phone.

Smokers as well, just as bad.

Doug.

How the hell did they catch him?

:hat2:

How are you posting from your prison cell :21:

Deserves all he got and as for mobile users should get an Auto 3 month ban.

No excuse

Pull over and use the phone.

Smokers as well, just as bad.Doug.

aw come on, smoking is not against the law, mobile use is! :stuart:

Doctor FinnBarr
How are you posting from your prison cell :21:

Fraid not, but for my bike and sidecar to reach that speed I'd need to drop it from someplace very high!

:10900:

I don't think a custodial sentence in such circumstances achieves anything, for him, the courts, or teh tax payer. All it is, is revenge. Other methods could have the same effect on him, and probably make him a better person in the long term - priosn won't do that. For example nine months community service working with the bin men, cleaning the streets and public toilets, and other hard labour tasks, with no days off. Better for him, better for the community, better for the tax payer.

I don't think a custodial sentence in such circumstances achieves anything, for him, the courts, or teh tax payer. All it is, is revenge. Other methods could have the same effect on him, and probably make him a better person in the long term - priosn won't do that. For example nine months community service working with the bin men, cleaning the streets and public toilets, and other hard labour tasks, with no days off. Better for him, better for the community, better for the tax payer.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but I think a stretch will open his eyes as well.

I think a jail term is OTT. Ban him for life for driving and a huge fine but jail? He'll likely never work again because of it.

I seem to remember an off duty cop was caught in a Subaru or some other fast car doing around 140mph and he basically got let off.

jambojackbilly

Like a life ban would stop a Muppet like that, i agree that Jail is not always the answer but in his case i hope it sends out the right message to any other selfish piece of **** that doing such things will land up with a loss of liberty and who care if s c vm like that work again

Great if we all suited ourselves eh

Very harsh. Gixxers and other similar sports bikes are designed for that sort of speed.

Sadly, in today's world that's dominated by the PC-Brigade petrol driven vehicles - particularly extremely fast ones - are frowned upon. Let's face it, if the bloke had beaten up a one-legged WW2 veteran he would have got community service.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but I think a stretch will open his eyes as well.

A stretch will also open up another part of his body when Mr Big gets him in the showers.....:peepwall:

Very harsh. Gixxers and other similar sports bikes are designed for that sort of speed.

Sadly, in today's world that's dominated by the PC-Brigade petrol driven vehicles - particularly extremely fast ones - are frowned upon. Let's face it, if the bloke had beaten up a one-legged WW2 veteran he would have got community service.

Then he should drive his hog around Donnington instead of a public road. Not PC, just common sense.

Then he should drive his hog around Donnington instead of a public road. Not PC, just common sense.

Man hits two pedestrians. Is fined and banned for a year.

Man rides very fast on a motorcycle that is specifically designed to travel at those speeds on a stretch of very open road. Is fined, banned and sent to prison.

Seems our justice system is seriously flawed and biased in how it applies the law.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly - What a load of pish.

Are you trying yo say someone driving at 166mph has more control over his vehicle than someone driving at 30 or 40 mph using a mobile? Had there been any sort of obstruction or derbies on the road I find it hard to believe his stopping distance wouldn't have been compromised.

I'd say driving at 166mph is a little bit more foolish than using a mobile behind a wheel, unless of course you're belting along in a car whilst using a mobile too.

jambojackbilly

Seems our justice system is seriously flawed and biased in how it applies the law.

Correct :smiley2:

Why have a Car/Motorbike that can do speeds that are not allowed ??

Are you trying yo say someone driving at 166mph has more control over his vehicle than someone driving at 30 or 40 mph using a mobile?

That's exactly what he's saying. Even someone who's over the alcohol limit by a moderate amount has more control and awareness than someone who drives while using a mobile.

Why have a Car/Motorbike that can do speeds that are not allowed ??

Because the acceleration that comes as part and parcel of it can often be a life saver and because it's great fun when used appropriately.

That's exactly what he's saying. Even someone who's over the alcohol limit by a moderate amount has more control and awareness than someone who drives while using a mobile.

Nah, this isn't a highly tuned racing bike we're talking about, so i suspect the braking distances would have been a lot longer - similar to how a subaru road car isn't tuned to powerslide round dirt roads like their rally counterparts. This guy would have had no chance to make an emergency evasive manoeuvre as he had no real control over his braking distance.

i suspect the braking distances would have been a lot longer

Why is braking distance important if the road is absolutely straight and empty? I've ridden that road many times on my bike so I know exactly what it's like.

I've not read any reports that say there was other traffic around, let alone that he was scaring other other road users or overtaking irresponsibly. Neither have I read any reports that said the road was wet or otherwise dangerous.

He was caught on the Dolphinton Straight. The clue's in the name.

There are plenty of effective alternatives for sentences for speeding IMO. There is no need for anyone to be going to prison unless and until the alternative sentences have been tried and have failed on that individual.

166 miles an hour on any road that the public have access to is grossly excessive IMO, but the sentence is even more excessive and quite bizzare when you consider some of the much more deserving cases who walk away with community service etc etc.

Why is braking distance important if the road is absolutely straight and empty? I've ridden that road many times on my bike so I know exactly what it's like.

I've not read any reports that say there was other traffic around, let alone that he was scaring other other road users or overtaking irresponsibly. Neither have I read any reports that said the road was wet or otherwise dangerous.

He was caught on the Dolphinton Straight. The clue's in the name.

So just because it makes no mention of other vehicles being on the road means there was absolutely no other vehicles on the road? Unless you or someone else that you know was there at the time, then you're not really in a position to assume other vehicles weren't on the same stretch of road.

Not many accidents or speeding reports state whether there was one or two other vehicles in the vicinity, so just because they make no mention of it really shouldn't be taken as the road was completely dead when the guy was doing 166 mph.

So just because it makes no mention of other vehicles being on the road means there was absolutely no other vehicles on the road?

Correct. I congratulate you on your ability to understand the Queen's English. :2thumbsup:

If there were other vehicles around, the Sheriff would have mentioned this during the sentencing phase in order to justify the draconian punishment that he handed down.

Correct. I congratulate you on your ability to understand the Queen's English. :2thumbsup:

If there were other vehicles around, the Sheriff would have mentioned this during the sentencing phase in order to justify the draconian punishment that he handed down.

Patronise away, mate as that's what you do best, as it hides your shortcomings in other areas (or at least you seem to think it does)

I lost a family member in a car accident and whilst there was other vehicles using the same stretch of road the report made no mention of this, so again, not all accident and speeding reports pass comment on whether there were other vehicles in the vicinity.So try again with your patronising bull****.

I'm not talking about accident or speeding reports, I'm talking about a Sheriff justifying a sentence.

Incidentally, exactly how many accident and/or speeding reports have you seen that resulted in the conclusion that they don't all mention "other vehicles in the vicinity"?

i would have thought that a ban and fine would have been fair, why send someone to jail which will cost more than his fine to look after.

custodial sentences for this fills up our already full jails, how many other people are in jail where community sentances could be used more effective

The Mighty Thor
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly - What a load of pish.

Are you trying yo say someone driving at 166mph has more control over his vehicle than someone driving at 30 or 40 mph using a mobile? Had there been any sort of obstruction or derbies on the road I find it hard to believe his stopping distance wouldn't have been compromised.

I'd say driving at 166mph is a little bit more foolish than using a mobile behind a wheel, unless of course you're belting along in a car whilst using a mobile too.

Do you ride a bike mate?

I do. It's a Honda Fireblade 1000cc. It's capable of 180mph should i choose to ride it at that speed. In fact it's derived from a long line of Honda grand prix bikes. It's designed to work incredibly well at speeds well in excess of the national speed limit.

Now your question. Who's more in control? A guy riding a bike at speeds of 100mph + or some tosser/bint with their mobile to their ear on the bypass or Queensferry road. I'll go with the guy on the bike every single time.

You see when you get on a bike and ride around you are 100% focussed on what you are doing, you can't afford not to be.

On the other hand someone in the car, a cosseted environment, comfy seat, air-con, cd on, the phone goes you answer it and you lose at least 50% of your already low concentration levels in something that weighs around 2000kg moving at 30/40/70mph.

I'm willing to bet that my reactions on a bike doing 100mph are far quicker than yours in your car doing 30mph when you're on the phone.

The reason why? normally because my arse is twitching like a rabbit's nose every time i step on the bike and ride along the bypass/major roads and come up against someone on their mobile taking that call that cannot wait, you know that life or death call.

Doctor FinnBarr
Do you ride a bike mate?

I do. It's a Honda Fireblade 1000cc. It's capable of 180mph should i choose to ride it at that speed. In fact it's derived from a long line of Honda grand prix bikes. It's designed to work incredibly well at speeds well in excess of the national speed limit.

Now your question. Who's more in control? A guy riding a bike at speeds of 100mph + or some tosser/bint with their mobile to their ear on the bypass or Queensferry road. I'll go with the guy on the bike every single time.

You see when you get on a bike and ride around you are 100% focussed on what you are doing, you can't afford not to be.

On the other hand someone in the car, a cosseted environment, comfy seat, air-con, cd on, the phone goes you answer it and you lose at least 50% of your already low concentration levels in something that weighs around 2000kg moving at 30/40/70mph.

I'm willing to bet that my reactions on a bike doing 100mph are far quicker than yours in your car doing 30mph when you're on the phone.

The reason why? normally because my arse is twitching like a rabbit's nose every time i step on the bike and ride along the bypass/major roads and come up against someone on their mobile taking that call that cannot wait, you know that life or death call.

Hallelulah, someone sensible posting.

Your worried on the bike, I'm worried with the sidecar, they don't seem to see that either! And its a big fecker!

:10900:

Do you ride a bike mate?

not having a go at bikers, but say you are on your bike at even say 70mph and hit a spot of water, nothing much but aqua plane, who has the better chance of a non fatal crash, bike or car.

I am one of those drivers that pullls in to allow a bike go past, if you could get those mod cons into my car im laughing.

i have a lot of trust on bikers that (who may exceed the limit) but KNOW their/bikes capabilities and if they as well asroad handling should be ok

The Mighty Thor
not having a go at bikers, but say you are on your bike at even say 70mph and hit a spot of water, nothing much but aqua plane, who has the better chance of a non fatal crash, bike or car.

I am one of those drivers that pullls in to allow a bike go past, if you could get those mod cons into my car im laughing.

i have a lot of trust on bikers that (who may exceed the limit) but KNOW their/bikes capabilities and if they as well asroad handling should be ok

Of course the car driver has the far greater survival chances. I'm not arguing that, nor am i defending a guy doing 166mph. It's suicidal on a public road.

I know another biking poster, Therapist, shares this view. If everyone that drives a car was made to learn to ride a motorbike our roads would be a safer place.

And you have some evidence to substantiate that using a mobile at 30mph is more dangerous than riding a bike at 166mph?

I think both deserve punishment but I do find that hard to believe.

What about using a mobile at 30mph on the Dolphinton straight with no other traffic about? :cool_shades:

Man hits two pedestrians. Is fined and banned for a year.

Man rides very fast on a motorcycle that is specifically designed to travel at those speeds on a stretch of very open road. Is fined, banned and sent to prison.

If the former actually came to court then he got a light sentence in my opinion.

With the latter, so what if his bike was designed to go umpteen mph. The law is quite clear on what the speed limits for certain stretches of road are. Also, surely this man would know that 166mph is excessive. He decided to go for it anyway and run the risk of being collared. If he gets it felt then tough.

Not read the thread.

Incredible sentence, completely OTT by some attention seeking judge, IMHO.

In the summing up, no mention was made of other traffic, no mention was made of poor weather or visability. So we have a biker on the Doplhinton Straight who, in all fairness, had probably thought "nice day, quiet road, can see for miles, I wanna see what this baby can do". He can probably ride better than we can all drive.

He was caught. Fair cop. Ban him for 5 years. Yes. Make him re-sit his driving test. Yes. Fine him a serious wedge of cash. Yes. Sentence him to 9 months in prison (bearing in mind people convicted of GBH and common assualt often get community service). No.

By the way, I'm not a biker, have no desire to be one, and even if I did epilepsy means I'd never be allowed to be one.

Not read the thread.

Incredible sentence, completely OTT by some attention seeking judge, IMHO.

In the summing up, no mention was made of other traffic, no mention was made of poor weather or visability. So we have a biker on the Doplhinton Straight who, in all fairness, had probably thought "nice day, quiet road, can see for miles, I wanna see what this baby can do". He can probably ride better than we can all drive.

He was caught. Fair cop. Ban him for 5 years. Yes. Make him re-sit his driving test. Yes. Fine him a serious wedge of cash. Yes. Sentence him to 9 months in prison (bearing in mind people convicted of GBH and common assualt often get community service). No.

By the way, I'm not a biker, have no desire to be one, and even if I did epilepsy means I'd never be allowed to be one.

IMO best post in this thread!!

I thought the sentence was harsh. If I were him I would appeal.

You get wee neds in Niddrie nicking motorbikes every night then racing them around busy streets. I cant remember the last time one got 9 months in the poke.

It depends on the person - Jenson Button with a mobile while driving at 40mph is probably still safer than you at 30

Archived