What is the greatest individual performance by any player you have ever seen?

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop
Paul Hartley - semi-final :10900:

Was in my mind, but chose not to iclude as 2 goals were from set pieces and the team that day was magnificent as opposed to any individual imo.

Was in my mind, but chose not to iclude as 2 goals were from set pieces and the team that day was magnificent as opposed to any individual imo.
I'll give you Gerrard v Milan,but would include Carragher in that too,they both won that final with sheer guts and determination.

As far as Hearts go,cos that all that really matters to me and although we lost, Neil McCann's second half in the league cup final.

I really type too slow

mccann in the league cup final.

Definately gets my vote too.

Colin Cameron against Celtic 3-2 comes close though.

unfortunately.. laudrup against us on several occasions,..

and gazza, euro 96, against scotland.. gazza.. what a 'kin waste...

Platini at Euro 84

I would argue that not only was it one of the finest exhibitions of football by a guy who became unplayable, but his performances helped elevate the tournament to mass audience, that enabled it to become closer in appeal to the World Cup.

platini2.jpg

Of course now we know him as a pompous French tw@+.

The best performance I''ve seen by a Hearts player is Edgaras Jankauskas vs Rangers when we won 1-0.

He gave an absolute masterclass that day.

Willie Wallace again - but v Celtic in 3-2 game with 10 men for 85 mins.

He was outstanding that day!!!

Roy Keane v Juventus

Knew he would miss the final and played his heart out to get the club there

Jim Baxter v England

Class

Bobby_swing_the_bar

Beckham for England v Greece, 2001. No matter what you think of him, he was fantastic in that match.

I'm 42, season ticket holder since I was 7, McCann in the league cup final was untouchable, thats the best ive ever seen a Hearts player play in 1 game. I work beside a rangers supporter who still remembers it, that's why they bought him.

Honarable second to Mr Hartley.

& 3rd to Robbo, just coz.:10900:

Cruyff in the 74 world cup might have just shaded them all...legend

I remember John Robertson (the wee fat Notts Forest one) playing a blinder for Scotland against England at Wembley (?1979 or 1981) after Scotland had a player sent off (?Alex Mc Leish).

Maradona was pretty good against England in Mexico World Cup even though he spoiled it a bit with the handball goal.

Thierry Henry hattrick v's Roma, 2002. Back in Italy where he had a point to prove, they all thought he was gash after his time at Juventus where he was played out of position. Closely followed by his performance at Inter Milan which Arsenal won 5 - 1. Best player ever IMO.

Great goals.

Maradona V Belgium 1986

Keane v Juventus 1999

Those. And I'll add three:

Paul McGrath v Italy, New York 1994

Bobby Moore v Brazil, Guadalajara 1970

Jan Tomaszewski v England, London 1973

Do these say something about my football philosophy? :hat2:

Henry Smith v Celtic 1985 1/0 victory.

Henry Smith v Celtic 1983? 1/1 Draw J Bone for us.

Neil McCann League cup final.

Kevin McAllister 1998 Cup Semi,though N McCann showed why he was a better player in the same game.:hat2:

Maradona v Scotland at Hampden.Many other games on tv.

Gary Mackay v Dundee Utd 1986,1/1 draw but he was superb that day.

Some right winger for Dukla Prague in 1986.

Plus some of Rab Prentices games when i would be about 13 years old,cannot remember the teams but there was some games he seem to beat teams on his own.

Bobby Moore gave a master class of defending that day.:2thumbsup:

Cloughie called Jan Tomaszewski a clown the week before the game.:smiley2:

Johanes de Silentio
Beckham for England v Greece, 2001. No matter what you think of him, he was fantastic in that match.

Gonnae have to agree with that 100% - I changed my mind about Beckham that day - all of his team mates had thrown in the towel, but Beckham pretty much did it single handed. Even when the ball went dead, he ran after it to get the game moving again.

Outstanding!

Take a bow, Dave!

Like berrasbraw, Jamie Carragher in the 2005 Champions League Final...you could feel the pain he was in near the end of ET. I'd also put Benitez in there for the 15mins and the decision to put Hamann on,....he can GTF now though....

Paul Hartely was the best performance I've ever seen....

Goal 1: involved in the build up...deft flick in off the post..best counter attacking goal ever.

Goal 2: Intelligence; observed that a goalie had their position all wrong and adapted the delivery...

Goal 3: Coolness; knew he would be on a hat-trick but tucked away the pen....

You're not defensive are you?

portobellojambo1

For Hearts -

Neil McCann - League Cup Final versus Rangers

Against Hearts -

Andy Goram - League game at Tynecastle, we won 3-0 (if memory serves me right), but Goram kept it to that score, without him it could easily have been double figures. Closely followed by Brian Laudrup, Scottish Cup Final we lost 5-1.

Johanes de Silentio

Actually, I've got it...

Any number of Hibs goalkeepers against Hearts over the years - with Zibby standing head and shoulders among the massed hoardes for me at the moment.

Feel free to close this thread...for it is now dead!

Domestos!

Super Wayne 21
The best performance I''ve seen by a Hearts player is Edgaras Jankauskas vs Rangers when we won 1-0.

He gave an absolute masterclass that day.

Totally agree. Jani was not far of world class that day.

I was sat in the front row of the wheatfield and was completely blown away by his performance. His first touch from awkward/long balls played to him is still the best i've seen from a Hearts player.

He made Ferguson/Ricksen/Pirso and co all look like pritty average football players.

Like berrasbraw, Jamie Carragher in the 2005 Champions League Final...you could feel the pain he was in near the end of ET. I'd also put Benitez in there for the 15mins and the decision to put Hamann on,....he can GTF now though....

Paul Hartely was the best performance I've ever seen....

Goal 1: involved in the build up...deft flick in off the post..best counter attacking goal ever.

Goal 2: Intelligence; observed that a goalie had their position all wrong and adapted the delivery...

Goal 3: Coolness; knew he would be on a hat-trick but tucked away the pen....

Yea think Benitez's coats on a shoogly peg the now,i hope he goes too.:2thumbsup:

In a Hearts shirt - Neil McCann in the 96 Coca Cola cup final. Living proof that no matter how good you are , you'll never get a game ahead of anyone from the OF for Scotland. From that time I gave up on the national team.

Otherwise , the best player I have seen in the flesh was Jose Altafini playing for Juve against the Hobos at Fester Rd in a 70s Euro tie. He was simply the best striker in the world then and that was at the end of his career.

Edit : Christ , he was even better that I realised.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Altafini

ColinMaroon has it so far as Hearts' players are concerned. Wallace played out of his skin for a 10 man Hearts side that won against Celtic that day because he wanted that transfer to them so badly.

There wasn't a supporter that left the ground that day that didn't know it.

Overall, Ferenc Puskas, for Real madrid in the Euro Cup Final at Hampden Park, 1960. You had to see it to believe it.

Johanes de Silentio
Platini at Euro 84

I would argue that not only was it one of the finest exhibitions of football by a guy who became unplayable, but his performances helped elevate the tournament to mass audience, that enabled it to become closer in appeal to the World Cup.

platini2.jpg

Of course now we know him as a pompous French tw@+.

Mind you - Platini was very much part of a fantastic team - who else was it? Rochetau up front, with Girese, Fernandes, and that guy that used to manage Fulham* - what a midfield!

* Tigana?

Eusebio v North Korea at Goodison in 1966. North Korea took a 3-0 lead before Eusebio took over scoring 4 goals as Portugal won 5-3.

In a Hearts shirt - Neil McCann in the 96 Coca Cola cup final. Living proof that no matter how good you are , you'll never get a game ahead of anyone from the OF for Scotland. From that time I gave up on the national team.

Otherwise , the best player I have seen in the flesh was Jose Altafini playing for Juve against the Hobos at Fester Rd in a 70s Euro tie. He was simply the best striker in the world then and that was at the end of his career.

Edit : Christ , he was even better that I realised.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Altafini

A marvellous player, and one of the more forgotten great players of the last 50 years. Strange that his Brazil career was so brief: Wales and Jack Kelsey gave him a nightmare in the 1958 quarter-finals, and that was it for him. I remember reading an article by him after Italia 90 in which he enthused over how unselfish and hard working Gary Lineker had been for England; Altafini was similar.

Mind you - Platini was very much part of a fantastic team - who else was it? Rochetau up front, with Girese, Fernandes, and that guy that used to manage Fulham* - what a midfield!

* Tigana?

Yep, Tigana it was: my favourite in that Team of all the Talents, because he seemed to play without ego. Given Wenger's not interested, I still think he should be France coach: have done for years.

At SPL level, Michael Mols for Rangers at Tynecastle in August 1999 just squeezes out Neil McCann in the Coca-Cola Cup Final. At CL level, I can't argue with Roy Keane in Turin, who bent that entire semi-final to his force of will, despite knowing he'd miss the final.

And at international level, Keane v Holland in September 2001 is second only to Jurgen Klinsmann's display against the same opponents at Italia 90. Holland were the last team on earth West Germany wanted to play: they were really worried beforehand, as the Dutch had famously knocked them out of Euro 88 on home soil, and then held them twice in Italia 90 qualifying.

On the night, Holland played very well, and I'll always believe they'd have gone on to win it had they got through. But this was the night of the famous Rijkaard/Voller spitting incident (on RTE, they used slow motion replays to follow the exact trajectory of Rijkaard's piece of gob!), and with his strike partner off, Klinsmann did the work of two men. He was quite incredible, and completely unplayable.

At SPL level, Michael Mols for Rangers at Tynecastle in August 1999 just squeezes out Neil McCann in the Coca-Cola Cup Final. At CL level, I can't argue with Roy Keane in Turin, who bent that entire semi-final to his force of will, despite knowing he'd miss the final.

And at international level, Keane v Holland in September 2001 is second only to Jurgen Klinsmann's display against the same opponents at Italia 90. Holland were the last team on earth West Germany wanted to play: they were really worried beforehand, as the Dutch had famously knocked them out of Euro 88 on home soil, and then held them twice in Italia 90 qualifying.

On the night, Holland played very well, and I'll always believe they'd have gone on to win it had they got through. But this was the night of the famous Rijkaard/Voller spitting incident (on RTE, they used slow motion replays to follow the exact trajectory of Rijkaard's piece of gob!), and with his strike partner off, Klinsmann did the work of two men. He was quite incredible, and completely unplayable.

Good shout.I thought we played well that day but Mols was superb.Can remember his injury against Bayern and Mols never being the same player again.

Mark Walters being another player who was on fire against us in that banana throwing incident game.Hugh Burns never the best of rightbacks had a day he never recovered from.A career changing game for Burns.

For Hearts, Allan Johnston at Ibrox.

Aleksander Hleb beat scotland on his own a few years back.

Rivaldo hattrick, might even have been a over-head kick in there. Shame he was a blouse but hey ho.

For hearts; allan moore on his debut against hamilton in a 7-0 win at tynecastle in 1986 stands out. only 45 mins but looked sensational. A throw back to an old fashioned winger.

or Pasquale bruno against red star belgrade when he man marked Ognanevic (sp) the key playerand had him in his back pocket for the whole 50 mins he stayed on the park. Italian marking at its best....and worst

john brownlee
ColinMaroon has it so far as Hearts' players are concerned. Wallace played out of his skin for a 10 man Hearts side that won against Celtic that day because he wanted that transfer to them so badly.

There wasn't a supporter that left the ground that day that didn't know it.

Overall, Ferenc Puskas, for Real madrid in the Euro Cup Final at Hampden Park, 1960. You had to see it to believe it.

So true I left gutted knowing he was turning into a tic.

Mine was willie Hamilton (at Tynecastle against clyde I think)

Standing ovation from the standits that day

jambos are go!
Willie Wallace again - but v Celtic in 3-2 game with 10 men for 85 mins.

He was outstanding that day!!!

That was indeed outstanding and Wallace is underated on here. Also remember a Donald Ford Hat -trick at Pittodrie when we game back fro 2-0 down to win 3-2 in the second half. And lastly Stevie Fultons performance at Dunfermline when we lost a League Cup tie 1-0 at Dunfermline in the most one sided match I've ever seen.

Miller Jambo 60
unfortunately.. laudrup against us on several occasions,..

and gazza, euro 96, against scotland.. gazza.. what a 'kin waste...

Andy Thorn , big cup against Celtic.

Archived