Trading on the stock market

andrew

Anyone tried it? I was thinking about investing ?100-?200 to get me started and seeing how I got on. Would it be worthwhile or would any potential profit be swallowed up by broker charges?

I'm sure I read somewhere there was a website that would let you 'buy' shares without actually purchasing the shares and you either paid your losses or received your profit when you sold your stocks.....was I just imagining this?

Good time to invest. Shares are relatively low, Trick is picking the right one.

Haha, if only I had that crystal ball. I'd be back in a years time with my ?100m to buy Romanov out and give Csaba his warchest!

Perth2Paisley

Don't bother. I advise companies on their financing, so I spend my days hearing about investments, but I would warn anyone I know against it. It might ber exciting (gambling usually is) but the bottom line is that you could lose all your money picking shares, and if you have a pension, a good proportion of your money will already be invested in shares already.

The dull but wise way is to pick something low-medium risk: maybe government / corporate bonds. You could get a portfolio that pays a solid 5-7% a year. Work hard at your job, save up, accumulate patiently and once you have a bit more, then you can start to risk A LITTLE bit of your pile. Then, much later, when you're, say 5 years from retirement, shift all your portfolio gradually back into the safe stuff, so you don't end up in a soup kitchen.

If someone is making quick money, run for the hills - it will not last.

Anyone tried it? I was thinking about investing ?100-?200 to get me started and seeing how I got on. Would it be worthwhile or would any potential profit be swallowed up by broker charges?

I'm sure I read somewhere there was a website that would let you 'buy' shares without actually purchasing the shares and you either paid your losses or received your profit when you sold your stocks.....was I just imagining this?

Your talking about nominee accounts, I think. A lot of companies do them (IWeb for one). You still pay commission (something like ?12 / trade, IIRC) and stamp duty, and you should declare profits for tax purposes, so your ?200 is going to have to make hefty moves on the market to make it worth your while. If you buy and sell ?200-worth of shares it'll cost you around ?25 in fees so your shares would have to increase around 12.5% just to break even (although you will get dividends if those are paid).

But if you know of a stock that will appreciate by the odd...let's say...500% before Christmas...do let me know, eh?

If you can afford to see it lost then aye have a go. You wont make your fortune with ?200 quid though, although as mentioned many companies may be well undervalued just now. If one had the balls and the spare cash ( as a few JKBrs did ) you could have invested in RBS when they were looking ropey earlier this year - 10p at the time and now sitting about 50p :10900:

Halifax do a sharebuilder account online which you can use to build up over time.Trades cost ?1.50 each time plus stamp duty which varies depending how much you are investing but there are only certain days you can trade on each month.

Stockmarket has worked well for me and investing little and often can soon accumulate.

Chance you take but the last six months have given good gains for investors.

Don't bother. I advise companies on their financing, so I spend my days hearing about investments, but I would warn anyone I know against it. It might ber exciting (gambling usually is) but the bottom line is that you could lose all your money picking shares, and if you have a pension, a good proportion of your money will already be invested in shares already.

The dull but wise way is to pick something low-medium risk: maybe government / corporate bonds. You could get a portfolio that pays a solid 5-7% a year. Work hard at your job, save up, accumulate patiently and once you have a bit more, then you can start to risk A LITTLE bit of your pile. Then, much later, when you're, say 5 years from retirement, shift all your portfolio gradually back into the safe stuff, so you don't end up in a soup kitchen.

If someone is making quick money, run for the hills - it will not last.

Your talking about nominee accounts, I think. A lot of companies do them (IWeb for one). You still pay commission (something like ?12 / trade, IIRC) and stamp duty, and you should declare profits for tax purposes, so your ?200 is going to have to make hefty moves on the market to make it worth your while. If you buy and sell ?200-worth of shares it'll cost you around ?25 in fees so your shares would have to increase around 12.5% just to break even (although you will get dividends if those are paid).

But if you know of a stock that will appreciate by the odd...let's say...500% before Christmas...do let me know, eh?

Cheers for the advice. I'm going to have a play about on paddypowertrader.com as they give you a dummy account with fake cash to invest and see how I get on.

They give you ?10k to invest, if any other KB'er is interested we could see who can reach a certain return first? If we unearth someone who can make a good profit then maybe we should go on the 'live' version and take a few of his/her tips!

I don't trade as such but purchase shares every couple of months in lumps of $500.

The reason I don't sell is that gains on sales of shares or taxable here so i have kept them for now.

Agree with a previous poster that the sensible approach is to purchase in companies that will give you a solid growth over a lengthy period of time. Having said that where is the fun in that? I tend to pick speculative buys and hope for huge growth in the medium term.

Unfortunately for me i started purchasing not long before the market **** itself. Kept my bottle though and kept on going and am now currently sitting about break-even which isn't too bad considering.

Like gambling it is a bit of fun as long as you can afford to lose what you are spending.

Archived