cycling/hillwalking.

Gerd Muller

Looking to get myself more active over the coming months and got a few routes in mind for cycling. A few of my mates do the munros etc but not sure if its best getting into the bad winter weather soon.

A few questions that I need answers too.

1. Are there any decent cycle routes in Edinburgh? Mostly off-road if possible.

2. The hillwalking is something I've wanted to get into for some time however probably looking to get myself some equipment. Whats the best place to get myself some boots, waterproof trousers etc.

3. When is the best time of year to start climbing munros/corbetts etc?

portobellojambo1
Looking to get myself more active over the coming months and got a few routes in mind for cycling. A few of my mates do the munros etc but not sure if its best getting into the bad winter weather soon.

A few questions that I need answers too.

1. Are there any decent cycle routes in Edinburgh? Mostly off-road if possible.

2. The hillwalking is something I've wanted to get into for some time however probably looking to get myself some equipment. Whats the best place to get myself some boots, waterproof trousers etc.

3. When is the best time of year to start climbing munros/corbetts etc?

Don't know if there is any information on this site which may help you -

http://www.munromagic.com/

1. The Pentlands are fair infested with cycle paths/walking paths. From just a couple of miles to full day out. There's always the Water of Leith path, all the way from the smelly end of toon out to its source beyond Balerno. The towpath on the canal, Fountainbridge, to the weedge if your that way inclined.

2. There used to be a Nevis Sport at Shandwick Place, failing that Tiso's at Rose Street or Leith.

3. Would suggest you left the hill walking till the spring, when the weather improves (maybe!). Get caught out in nasty weather could find you starring in one of those reality shows that usually involves an SAR helicopter crew scraping bodies off of a hillside.

:hat2:

1. Central Scotland is full of good cycle routes, I use the Cycling Scotland website, http://cycling.visitscotland.com/find_route/edinburgh/. Many of the old railway lines have been turned into national cycleways and have lots of decent pub stops along the way for a drink and good food. Also with public transport you can quite easily cycle somewhere and then catch a train back to EH or wherever you are heading.

2. Tiso in Rose Street.

3. Munros- best to start with shorter routes and build up your confidence. Some good day ones not too far from EH are Ben Lomond and Schahallion. Nice corbett to climb is the Cobbler. Spring and summer months are the best for hill walking as there is more daylight and less chance that the weather might turn haywire over a short period of time. The Munro Magic website is very good, more important is that you check the weather before you leave and don't be afraid to turn round if you feel that the conditions are getting a bit too extreme. Always bring lots of water or a juice with lots of sugar with you so you don't dehydrate as it's not a nice feeling ! Even start off on the Pentlands and build up your confidence that way.

Inspector Villiers

You can cycle all the way to Glasgow (or Falkirk or Linilithgow if you want to go a little shorter distance) on the Canal tow-path. Just get on it at at Fountainbridge behind "Cargo". Really good run with lots to see.

You can cycle all the way to Glasgow (or Falkirk or Linilithgow if you want to go a little shorter distance) on the Canal tow-path. Just get on it at at Fountainbridge behind "Cargo". Really good run with lots to see.

However, Linlithgow is ****.

Archived