Tsunami Warning (7,9 magnitude)

maroonlegions

Tsunami Warning (7,9 magnitude)

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001

PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS

ISSUED AT 1804Z 29 SEP 2009

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC

OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...

WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

... A TSUNAMI WARNING AND WATCH ARE IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR

AMERICAN SAMOA / SAMOA / NIUE / WALLIS-FUTUNA / TOKELAU /

COOK ISLANDS / TONGA / TUVALU / KIRIBATI / KERMADEC IS / FIJI /

HOWLAND-BAKER / JARVIS IS. / NEW ZEALAND / FR. POLYNESIA /

PALMYRA IS.

link source http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/pacific/2009/pacific.2009.09.29.180334.txt

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

There appears to have been a sunami Warning this morning.

Also this from Reuters.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tsunami warning was issued for New Zealand and other small Pacific islands after a major 7.9 magnitude quake struck in the ocean off American Samoa, U.S. government agencies said on Tuesday.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, a branch of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, issued the warning after the quake hit about 120 miles southwest of the remote Pacific island of American Samoa. It struck at a depth of 20.5 miles.

A tsunami watch was in effect for Hawaii, Papua New Guinea and other small Pacific islands

ML, out of interest cos I can't be arsed checking the links :smiley2: how does a 7,9 magnitude compare to the big one from a couple of years back?

8.0 magnitude quake generates tsunami off Samoa islands

REUTERSSEPTEMBER 29, 2009 4:01 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

A powerful 8.0 magnitude earthquake in the Pacific off the Samoa islands, north of New Zealand, generated a tsunami, U.S. government agencies said on Tuesday.

Photograph by: Screen grab, Googlemaps

WASHINGTON - A powerful 8.0 magnitude earthquake in the Pacific off the Samoa islands region generated a tsunami, U.S. government agencies said on Tuesday.

Sea level readings indicated a tsunami was generated, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, a branch of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said.

The agency earlier issued a tsunami warning for New Zealand, American Samoa and other small Pacific islands.

Yes i see what you mean but there seems to have been new developments

See here http://www.canada.com/news/national/Tsunami+Pacific+American+Samoa+after+powerful+undersea+quake/2047271/story.html

2047277.bin.

There was a earlyer warning then another one according to the last report.Its standard practise to issue these warnings by these agencies just in casue it develops more.

Best take the washing in then, I suppose.

Washing still out at this time IJ , better watch out for the hobo snow droppers , there is one in every area.:th_o:

Aye there are other sources saying reported waves of TEN FEET.:21: HOPE THIS DOES NOT CAUSE ANY LOSS OF LIFE. I CAN SEE WHY THEY HAVE GOT TO TAKE NO CHANCES WITH THESE KIND OF QUAKE MAGNITUDES.

When they say waves of 10ft, ml, I presume they mean the waves were 10ft tall when they hit land and travelled across that land at that height, as opposed to being 10ft tall when they crashed onshore?

Stuart Weinstein of the PTWC told the BBC that the agency was monitoring the situation.

In 2004, a Boxing Day quake in the Indian Ocean generated a powerful tsunami that killed tens of thousands people in Asia.

Mr Weinstein said Tuesday's quake was "much smaller" than that tsunami, and only had 3% of the energy generated by the 2004 quake.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Villages wiped out on some of the islands. Some people in NZ being told to move to higher ground now, according to ABC radio here.

I live 1 mile from the coast.

I'm a gonner.

Goodbye cruel cruel world.

Put on a nice cagoule and maybe carry an umbrella.

You should be fine.

Geoff Kilpatrick
News report has 3 dead in/near Samoa.

Perhaps we ought to listen a bit more intently to ML!

Er, no!

Perhaps we should pay more attention to ML's beloved "mainstream media"!

maroonlegions
Er, no!

Perhaps we should pay more attention to ML's beloved "mainstream media"!

Information comes from various sources, its up to the individual to check it with other sources be it main stream or not.Yes i check the main stream but do not swallow ALL the information or even except ALL of it.

Archived