Zagreb - We really did flatter them across there

vegas-voss

Yes. We were rank rotten. Not saying we could have won, but defence and midfield played like strangers and the attack did'nt exist. We tried to play an important game before we were ready and its only after then we have played some decent football.

Scottish Football needs to restructure its self to take account of the earlier start in Europe.

The sad thing is that was a tie we could have won!!!

Tactics all wrong in the first leg and a poor performance from too many players, it seems, served to flatter Dinamo!!!

Fozzyonthefence

I couldn't believe at the time how many on here thought they were a "fantastic" team. Just shows pish we really were in the first leg.

Some clown posted a thread after the 4-0 defeat claiming Hearts had been beaten by a fantastic side.

He then shot me down after I claimed Zagreb were nothing more than a decent side.

Zagreb have now confirmed that my views on them were correct. They are mediocre and we made them look like world beaters.

portobellojambo1

We were only the second club side that Zagreb have beaten in about the last 8 - 10 years in Zagreb, and we were the side who they have beaten most comfortably. We played into their hands on the night, with the right selection and the right tactics we could have been somewhere across Europe at this moment in time sinking a few post match pints.

Tynecastle proved how poor Dinamo Zagreb were, Anderlecht further highlighted it tonight.

portobellojambo1
Some clown posted a thread after the 4-0 defeat claiming Hearts had been beaten by a fantastic side.

He then shot me down after I claimed Zagreb were nothing more than a decent side.

Zagreb have now confirmed that my views on them were correct. They are mediocre and we made them look like world beaters.

Correct, a variety of posters hinted we had just lost to one of the best sides we had ever faced in European competition, a side who regularly featured in Europe. While the latter is correct the former was pure p*sh, Dinamo Zagreb did not beat us, we beat ourselves.

When you play with one up top away from home in Europe then that player needs to hold the ball up to bring the rest of the team into the game. Nade is not capable of that IMO. A couple of goalkeeping errors from Kello and a game on the Monday night, all these things contributed to our downfall.

There are a number of reasons that we got pumped that night other than the respective qualities of both sides.

Firstly, we got the tactics and team selection wrong. We went for ultra defensive tactics, which may appear a safe bet away from home in Europe but it just played into their hands. We ended up camped in our own half as they rained down shots on our goal. What we really should have done was had a go at their dodgy defence and extremely dodgy 'keeper. The early goal was the nail in the coffin.

That was also our second game of the season (3 days after an away game at Dundee United) while they were well underway, having played 4 European games and 4 league games.

It doesn't matter now, though. Let's just learn from our mistakes and focus on making a better go of it next year (hopefully).:2thumbsup:

Francis Albert

Zagreb played well that night. We played badly and lost a stupid early goal. These things happen.

Zagreb have been Croatian champions for several years. To suggest they are a crap side is just silly.

portobellojambo1
Zagreb played well that night. We played badly and lost a stupid early goal. These things happen.

Zagreb have been Croatian champions for several years. To suggest they are a crap side is just silly.

I think that is almost a taken in Croatia these days FA. Other than Hajduk Split I don't think they have much real opposition. I think it is a bit like Celtic and Rangers here in reality, the two leagues are very similar from that standpoint. However, I suspect the chasing pack in Croatia are possibly of a lower standard than the chasing pack in Scotland.

I can certainly reel off a good few clubs I have witnessed Hearts play against in Europe who I considered better than Dinamo Zagreb, some we beat, some we lost to. They are not crap, but they were definitely beatable over two legs, if we had approached the first leg correctly (but as someone has already mentioned it's history now and cannot be changed).

It doesn't matter now, though. Let's just learn from our mistakes and focus on making a better go of it next year (hopefully).:2thumbsup:

Dont hold your breath. We learnt nothing from the 2006 European shambles and if anything were more poorly prepared this time around. The fact we have gone into our previous 2 European campaigns with no strikers says a lot about those 'leading' the club.

i missed the first half of the first leg due to work and watched the rest at home. it was embarrassing.

it was embarrassing because we were so bad.

because we were so bad, it made them look fantastic.

i don't think we can have a go at people that took them to be a great side, because they did look like one. obviously some folk didn't take into account why they looked so good.

we're seeing the same thing from the media down here. ingerland humped a terrible croatian side the other week there. the space they let ingerland play in made ingerland look like world champions, so the media think...well they think they'll be world champions

I'm another of the "told you so" club.

The way some folk on here spouted pish after Zagreb was unbelievable. We'd have been as well handing them the trophy there and then. Wonder if the sheep-worriers thought the same about Sigma Olomouc before a real team got their hands on them.

My shout was that Zagreb would be lucky to get out of their group and the result was much more about how bad we were than how good they were (as Tynecastle subsequently proved).

Thank you very much!!!:2thumbsup:

There are a number of reasons that we got pumped that night other than the respective qualities of both sides.

Firstly, we got the tactics and team selection wrong. We went for ultra defensive tactics, which may appear a safe bet away from home in Europe but it just played into their hands. We ended up camped in our own half as they rained down shots on our goal. What we really should have done was had a go at their dodgy defence and extremely dodgy 'keeper. The early goal was the nail in the coffin.

That was also our second game of the season (3 days after an away game at Dundee United) while they were well underway, having played 4 European games and 4 league games.

Looking back that was one bugbear of mine, amongst others that night, that annoyed me. In the first half there were times the whole of the Zagreb backline could have knocked the ball about to each other. There was no organised pressure on the ball to force a hurried pass or make the ball come into the packed midfield.

I just never get or believe in all out defence. You cannot hope to continually defend in your own half and not venture forward. Our tactic should have been to stay compact moving up and down the pitch without pushing up too far to get caught on the break. Having said that most of the team didn`t look like they were at the races and couldn`t pass or hold the ball, so it might have never made any diff what tactics we had!

First leg was woeful and they had played a few games. If it were now, we'd stand a pretty decent chance over two legs.

However, that's Hibs way of thinking - if my aunty had baws and all that.

It's done for another year. Csaba will know better next time. We really need to start our seasons sharper - our distinct lack of goals in pre season was always going to be a prob.

Too many laughed it off at the time.

I couldn't believe at the time how many on here thought they were a "fantastic" team. Just shows pish we really were in the first leg.

Correct, a variety of posters hinted we had just lost to one of the best sides we had ever faced in European competition, a side who regularly featured in Europe. While the latter is correct the former was pure p*sh, Dinamo Zagreb did not beat us, we beat ourselves.

I'm another of the "told you so" club.

The way some folk on here spouted pish after Zagreb was unbelievable. We'd have been as well handing them the trophy there and then. Wonder if the sheep-worriers thought the same about Sigma Olomouc before a real team got their hands on them.

My shout was that Zagreb would be lucky to get out of their group and the result was much more about how bad we were than how good they were (as Tynecastle subsequently proved).

Thank you very much!!!:2thumbsup:

I agree with all these folk.

The Dinamo love-in on here was embarrassing.

Still.................. they are potential winners of the whole thing dont ya know..............

Madness.

Francis Albert
they were excellent on the night and we were very poor.

Exactly. Why do people assume Zagreb always play to the same standard ... clearly we are not consistently as bad as we were in Zagreb.

we pure feked up over there, nightmare....with a fud like Nade and even worse tactics..all wrong

next game needs to be at home first

Archived