Royal mail

dale8809

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel free to come and do my job if you want mate! now, im no brain surgeon, and being a postie is pretty **** easy, (well it used to be!) but im knocking my pan in for the folks of morningside, working 8-9 hrs without a break, just so i can finish at 2pm!!!! Dont worry though it will only get worse though as we'll be on strike again soon! No seriously, if Royal Mail bosses have their way all the posties will be part-time and God knows if you'll even get any mail after that!! haha RANT OVER! (i needed that!)

Feel free to come and do my job if you want mate! now, im no brain surgeon, and being a postie is pretty **** easy, (well it used to be!) but im knocking my pan in for the folks of morningside, working 8-9 hrs without a break, just so i can finish at 2pm!!!! Dont worry though it will only get worse though as we'll be on strike again soon! No seriously, if Royal Mail bosses have their way all the posties will be part-time and God knows if you'll even get any mail after that!! haha RANT OVER! (i needed that!)

Did you get your Union CD, out lining why we are getting balloted for a national strike.Got mine today.

For anyone wanting to know the reasons why we are getting balloted all the information and reasons can be found on the union web site.

link source information http://www.cwu.org/

I have done the job and I know what it is like 5am starts finish at 12-2(on a heavy day).I am saying It is a joke getting mail at 5pm I usualy get it at 11am.The postie is a lazy git how can other posties get here for around 11 and he shows up 6hours later If I took 7hours for something that is ment too take 3hours in my job I would get in crap.You do get breaks alot of you stand at the boxes having a fag.

I would be quite happy if i never received mail through the letter box again , cyber mail is the way to go.

aye very good! i take it you dont get many VALENTINES cards then? haha:10900:

ordering stuff from internet? are you going to drive to amazon depot etc and pick it up? :nah:

They are taking the P.I just got my post.Bloody slow or what

I get my post most days at between 3 and 4 unless the young bird is on my round,she usually gets here at about 11 o'clock.

The old postie i normally have is due for the knackers yard i think but fair play to him it can't be easy lugging that bag about at that age.

I have done the job and I know what it is like 5am starts finish at 12-2(on a heavy day).I am saying It is a joke getting mail at 5pm I usualy get it at 11am.The postie is a lazy git how can other posties get here for around 11 and he shows up 6hours later If I took 7hours for something that is ment too take 3hours in my job I would get in crap.You do get breaks alot of you stand at the boxes having a fag.

i get your point mate, but was the postie today not doing it on overtime? if not, then your bang on, he is a lazy git!:smiley2:

aye very good! i take it you dont get many VALENTINES cards then? haha:10900:

Correct

ordering stuff from internet? are you going to drive to amazon depot etc and pick it up? :nah:

Couriers could easily do the job if called upon.

Couriers could easily do the job if called upon.

Aye you're spot on! what about all the wee daft cd's etc that you can get? why do you think they come in letterboxed sized pkts? so i can stay in a job! haha :smiley2:

think i'll go and sign on now!! :nah::nah:

Standing at a box having a fag is no substitute for a official 40 mins break mate,I do not have time for my official break but work through it. Even come in 40mins EARLY,UNPAID 5 days a week just to get all the prep work done in time to get out at a REASONABLE TIME SO DUDES LIKE YOU CAN GET YOUR MAIL AT A REASONABLE TIME.There are also outside factors here in reasons for unreasonable times of mail deliveries.

1.Sickness levels in various DOs,(INCLUDING SHORT NOTICE SICKNESS, MORNING OF DELIVERIES).

2.Introduction of part time duties on various walks, later starts for part time posties =later time frames for STARTING deliveries.

3.Sickness levels or walks effected NOT being able to be covered, if no one volunteers for overtime to cover the walk or walks effected it causes a big delay in reasonable or expected time frames.

4.Even if a sickness walk is cover by overtime the postie doing it has to complete his OWN delivery walk first before the over time walk, resulting in late deliveries.

4.Various posties on holidays and reserves or floaters,(who cover these holiday periods), being off sick can add to pressure in consistent reasonable/expected delivery time frames.

Not saying any off the above facts are responsible for your late arrival of your mail but the above can factors do play a big part in lateness of mail in unreasonable time frames. Also there have been periods of local strikes at some DOs and mail centres down south and in Edinburgh adding to big pressures of high volumes in backlogs of mail.

Aye you're spot on! what about all the wee daft cd's etc that you can get? why do you think they come in letterboxed sized pkts? so i can stay in a job! haha :smiley2:

think i'll go and sign on now!! :nah::nah:

Companies like Amazon ect have chosen to stay with the RM as they are happy with the performance targets ect, other courires just now could not handle the volumes as they do not have at the present time all the the huge operations involved of sustainable and professional practises in place that are required to meet such huge operations.The emergence of sites like E-bay has dramatically increased the volumes of on line purchases of packets ect.If companies like them were unhappy then they would be the first to try and look elsewhere.

I used to get my mail before I left for work, over the last 2 years its went back and back until now we don't get it til around 3pm!!!!

Last week I got a very important hospital appointment just after my appointment time - had to reschedule!!!!!!!!!!!

Still think the RM is a fantastic thing but like all things we take it for granted!!!

I would be quite happy if i never received mail through the letter box again , cyber mail is the way to go.

I agree and cannot wait until the Royal Mail go under. I had the misfortune of trying to obtain a recorded delivery package this week. From this week onwards if I want anything I will pay over the odds to get it delivered by courier as opposed to the nonsense that the Royal Mail offer.

Bills etc are handled online and anything else I may or may not receive via post is not that important.

I used to get my mail before I left for work, over the last 2 years its went back and back until now we don't get it til around 3pm!!!!

Last week I got a very important hospital appointment just after my appointment time - had to reschedule!!!!!!!!!!!

Still think the RM is a fantastic thing but like all things we take it for granted!!!

This is caused by the drive for privatisation!

What counts are the 100 top companies that send large amounts of mail.

YOU, as a customer receiving mail, do NOT count to RM! You only bring in a quarter of the cash and just have to lump it.

Postmen are overloaded, walks far too big, and the days of early delivery ended long ago. The idea is that people are happy to get their mail next day, rather than early on. In short they can get stuffed and RM cuts costs by doubling postmens work and then removing, by one means or another, full time postmen, and replacing them with, untrained, full time casual postmen. These will be sent to different walks daily, will not know where they are going, will be much slower, and in the end the costs will still rise.

Under privatisation costs will rise much further and deliveries lessen further!

Write to your MP now!

My closest encounter with posties was when I worked in St. Andrew Square and you could hardly get into the Guildford at lunchtime for them. :cool_shades:

Arnold Rothstein
Standing at a box having a fag is no substitute for a official 40 mins break mate,I do not have time for my official break but work through it. Even come in 40mins EARLY,UNPAID 5 days a week just to get all the prep work done in time to get out at a REASONABLE TIME SO DUDES LIKE YOU CAN GET YOUR MAIL AT A REASONABLE TIME.There are also outside factors here in reasons for unreasonable times of mail deliveries.

1.Sickness levels in various DOs,(INCLUDING SHORT NOTICE SICKNESS, MORNING OF DELIVERIES).

2.Introduction of part time duties on various walks, later starts for part time posties =later time frames for STARTING deliveries.

3.Sickness levels or walks effected NOT being able to be covered, if no one volunteers for overtime to cover the walk or walks effected it causes a big delay in reasonable or expected time frames.

4.Even if a sickness walk is cover by overtime the postie doing it has to complete his OWN delivery walk first before the over time walk, resulting in late deliveries.

4.Various posties on holidays and reserves or floaters,(who cover these holiday periods), being off sick can add to pressure in consistent reasonable/expected delivery time frames.

Not saying any off the above facts are responsible for your late arrival of your mail but the above can factors do play a big part in lateness of mail in unreasonable time frames. Also there have been periods of local strikes at some DOs and mail centres down south and in Edinburgh adding to big pressures of high volumes in backlogs of mail.

Must be tough. Sounds pretty much like every other job. Covering for absent collegues, coming in early/leaving late and not getting paid for it etc etc etc.

The Real Maroonblood
My closest encounter with posties was when I worked in St. Andrew Square and you could hardly get into the Guildford at lunchtime for them. :cool_shades:

:10900: Now they have to work for a living.

The Real Maroonblood
Why do all posties stick up for the job.RM is a joke work for DHL or UPS they are better

Because they can dress like tramps and a lot of them can't read that is why so many people get the wrong mail delivered.

I think it is a great service that they provide and I wouldn't want to be doing their jobs every day through the wind and snow..

But I do have one gripe, on several occasions now my postie has put a card through the door saying, sorry I missed you, please come to the post office to collect a package. Problem being is that I am in when he puts it through the door.

I am inclined to suspect he never brought the package with him and just wrote out the card. Once, he knew that I was in as the music was on quite loud so he put the card through the door with the previous days date on it, my lass was in all day the day before.

It pee's me off when have to go collect it.

Similar note, just been having a monumental argument with ParcelFarce...

Had a bit for my car ordered from japan, got hit by ?26 VAT (which is perfectly fine) and a ?13.50 "Clearance Fee" from parcelfarce.

Phoned them up to ask what this was for and was told "unspecified costs as a result of paying the VAT to Customs on my behalf. When asked for a breakdown of the charges I was told this isn't possible. I then said that as I wasn't given any option to pay the VAT myself, I would happily pay the VAT charges and they could then invoice me the 13.50. Guy tells me that this isn't possible and that I had to pay both or it wouldn't be delivered.

Asked to speak to his boss who tries to tell me the same thing for a half hour or so until I mention that Section 104 of the Postal Service Act 2000 prohibits anyone from holding a package / letter in lieu of payent (effectively a ransom). And as I had already agreed to pay the customs charge but disputed the 'fee' then they were effectively acting criminally and that it would become a police matter if they persisted.

Anyhoo, eventually got passed to a guy called Patrick (who, unlike the other wuckfits, was fantastic at customer service i must add). He agreed with me that as long as I paid the customs charges they would deliver the parcel and invoice me the fee which i could then dispute if i wanted. Arrived next day, and a week later still no invoice!!

Have to agree with those who say they would be quite happy to get no mail again, get all my bills emailed and packages delivered by dhl or city link etc to work!

Why do all posties stick up for the job.RM is a joke work for DHL or UPS they are better

Don't have the figures to hand but I'll hazard an estimated guess that the companies you mention pay less? Or, if that is not the case, have a benefits package (holidays, pensions, et al) which is not as attractive or beneficial as the Royal Mail's?

Arnold Rothstein
Don't have the figures to hand but I'll hazard an estimated guess that the companies you mention pay less? Or, if that is not the case, have a benefits package (holidays, pensions, et al) which is not as attractive or beneficial as the Royal Mail's?

Also the 90 days per year they're on strike must add up to a nice little holiday package.

I think it is a great service that they provide and I wouldn't want to be doing their jobs every day through the wind and snow..

I send over 100 packages a week (400 odd at christmas) by royal mail and only a tiny percentage of them are missing or late. They always pick up from me on time (except for when they fail to tell us they are on strike). Sorting offices are hell though, that one at sighthill/gyle being particularly surly.

If you are getting a parcel get it sent to your work if you can especially if you live in a flat. Chubby posties don't like stairs.

I use citilink for larger packages, they don't like parking tickets so rarely deliver to flats, they just leave a card saying come and pick up at our depot.

iamcraigbeattie

Count yourselves lucky you even get your post. Im sick of neighbours delivering my mail because the little runt of a post man cant destinguish between the number 5 and the number 7.

Im personally sick of all this threat of strike action too if their not happy with what their paid then **** off and work somewhere else. The Royal Mail should apply instant dissmissal to all these plebs. At the end of the day postmen are paid to provide a service and if they dont like the rewards then they look elsewhere. Like most others here i bet if i were to say im striking due to lack of pay my P45 would be on its way.

Rant Over!!

Also the 90 days per year they're on strike must add up to a nice little holiday package.

I believe they forgo pay for each day they strike. When my work took industrial action, we were not paid (something we knew would happen when we voted for it).

I think with the latest "strike" (holiday!) pending it is time to put mail delivery out to tender and allow private firms the chance to deliver mail.

Royal mail is a joke, Posties are a joke! All full of wind and pash, 2 of my mates are posties and have the cushiest jobs going and that is coming from them!!!

Well if you call losing a days wage a holiday.We do not get paid for official industrial action.So 90 days lost of income is a nice wee holiday eh.:nah:

Because they can dress like tramps and a lot of them can't read that is why so many people get the wrong mail delivered.

Trying saying that to even the bin men mate,:nah: like your mail being delivered ,i bet you even take getting your bucket emptied for granted.Ever done the job, do you know WHY most mail that is mis- delivered is because of NEW posties on walks there not use to or customers not addressing their mail properly.

:10900: Now they have to work for a living.

Some days you finisht early because of mail volumes some days you work past your time .I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO ON HERE DOES NOT GET SOME PERKS IN THEIR JOBS.Anyone care to digress their perks.:nah:

Count yourselves lucky you even get your post. Im sick of neighbours delivering my mail because the little runt of a post man cant destinguish between the number 5 and the number 7.

Im personally sick of all this threat of strike action too if their not happy with what their paid then **** off and work somewhere else. The Royal Mail should apply instant dissmissal to all these plebs. At the end of the day postmen are paid to provide a service and if they dont like the rewards then they look elsewhere. Like most others here i bet if i were to say im striking due to lack of pay my P45 would be on its way.

Rant Over!!

You realy are ingnorant of the real facts and reasons why there is a threat of strike action on the cards again:10900:If you even bothered to check the CWU web site that i provided you would see why.They maybe plebs in your eyes but what would you know off the real reasons of possible strike action,mmm, none.:2thumbsup: If you do not like RM then you can go to DHL,TNT or any other NON BRITISH MAIL COMPANY.Yes postmen and women are paid to provide a service but when that very service is being undermined by a management who agreed to 5 stages of the new pay and modernisation package only to rip up stage 5 and force through UNFAIR AND UN -AGREEABLE WORKING PRACTISES AND REDUNDANCY'S BASED ON LIES ON FIGURES OF MAIL VOLUME REDUCTIONS AND HOW LONG IT TAKES A POSTIE TO COMPLETE HIS DELIVERY.These figures were and are the justifcations on forcing cut backs and making walks even longer., PEGASUS .(computer fed walk logs of an individual walk and its number of delivery points, these numbers were fed into a computer and it worked out how long it would take a postman to complete his delivery, closing gates,walking up and down paths , climbing stairs , waiting for people to answer their doors or to sign for mail ect).:stuart: was the term used by Royal mail management to work out how long a walk would take a postman to complete, if that walk fell below 3.5 hours then more delivery points were added on to it from other walks or duties that were done away with or lost.Some of these walks were made part time and filled by new part time post men and women.Now these figures, particularly from the PEGASUS results at first DID not match what the RM bosses wanted, they in fact showed that most walks WERE near or on 3.5 hours to complete.So now the smoking gun ,:10900:these figures were then READJUSTED to justify losing duties, introduction of part time walks , redundancies and the justification of no pay rises in line with inflation as was promised and agreed by Royal mail.Royal mail delivery office managers were given a bonus of between ?3-4,000 if they completed these changes based on these false figures.Now what would you do in your present job if similar actions and decisions were affecting you in your present job, bend over and take more up the dark tunnel or show some character:nah: and b**** to protect your job and your mates.:2thumbsup:

The Real Maroonblood
Trying saying that to even the bin men mate,:nah: like your mail being delivered ,i bet you even take getting your bucket emptied for granted.Ever done the job, do you know WHY most mail that is mis- delivered is because of NEW posties on walks there not use to or customers not addressing their mail properly.

It must be hard pushing a wheelie bin. Aye right.

I think with the latest "strike" (holiday!) pending it is time to put mail delivery out to tender and allow private firms the chance to deliver mail.

Royal mail is a joke, Posties are a joke! All full of wind and pash, 2 of my mates are posties and have the cushiest jobs going and that is coming from them!!!

What like the NHS , its a public service and should remain one.Its true that some duties are easier than other's depending on the seniority you hold.Tell you what mate why don't you come down to a delivery office and work sorting mail, then organising all your mail into organised bundles ,(and packets), for various streets then sort out all your mail that has been verified for re- direction to other addresses then tie up all those bundles and put in mail bags correctly labelled for the right pouch boxes.After all that you have worked through your break after coming in 40 mins early.:nah:Better still what about trying this on a freezing cold snow blizzerd day or peshing down with rain with strong winds or when its really icey and people who cannot be bothered to salt there paths as you struggle to keep your footing to avoid breaking your neck or legs ect, with a 16kg bag of mail on your back:nah:.Cushiest jobs going eh, well that's coming from me as a full time postie.:2thumbsup:

Royal Mail workers are a total waste of space. Workshy the lot of them. And that goes for binmen as well.

and what is it you do?

"Bullying and harassment is now reaching shocking levels as local managers are allowed to pick on individuals. Sackings occur at the whim of over-promoted managers trying to deliver unrealistic budget savings linked to unfair work rates which people can't cope with."

"Postal workers also feel let down by the government. The postal industry needs the government to address the crucial issues of pensions and regulation that they themselves identified. The government's current position of doing nothing because they did not get their way on privatisation means they are guilty of letting the postal industry rot."

http://www.cwu.org/

Oh aye, while Royal Mail decided to take a pensions HOLIDAY years ago they by that act inflicted a 2-3 ?BILLION BLACK HOLE OR DEFICIT, considering that this deficit will not effect the majority of share holders at the top and senior managers or people like Crozier , who awarder himself ?MILLIONS IN BONUSES ,:2thumbsup:can be seen as the real people who are taking the unjust holidays.:2thumbsup:

Your mates may well have 'cushy' jobs, most don't.

I used to have 670 drops on one walk! Eventually it was split between two!

Now most have similar amounts to sort, pack and deliver in all weathers.

Private companies will NOT deliver from Lands End to John O Groats for 38p next day delivery, and 92% at least is next day. They will charge pounds for this, and probably make outlying areas collect from depots.

Redeveloping RM is the only way, it's just a shame it was ham fisted - yet Crozier gets his ?3-4 million bonus!

The Posties have my sympathies. A couple of years ago you could rely on getting the first post before 8 in the morning, and the second delivery early in the afternoon. Now I don't get the new single delivery until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. No use if you've been sent kit in the post, for work the next day. OK so its next day delivery, but only just. I now have to make sure that if head office post me anything it needs to be sent 2 clear days before its required, or the jobs a failure.

So what happened since the old twice a day deliveries? If as the Post Office would have you believe that the single delivery is better, then how come that one delivery arrives later than the old second post?

Its got so bad I've even sent letters via Parcelforce, costs more, but it'll arrive on time!

As for DHL or any of the rest, waste of time, spend your time going round to the depots picking up stuff they've "tried to deliver", sneaky baskets must use a feather duster to chap the door.

Some days you finisht early because of mail volumes some days you work past your time .I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO ON HERE DOES NOT GET SOME PERKS IN THEIR JOBS.Anyone care to digress their perks.:nah:

The perks of my job are getting spoken too like a bit **** from staff and customers.If I dont work a extra shift they have a go at me,Low pay 6.50PH.Working with a lazy git that listens too crap music all night and I get no say in what goes on the radio.Massive walk too work working nights every weekend no one will ever cover for me yet expect me too do it for them.30mins break that I never get.10% discount that can't be used for fags petrol or oil and a crap bonus at the end of the month that makes my wage a little less laughable so I think the perks of your job are slightly better than mine.I would gladly go back to royal mail too get out of my job.

jambos are go!

Lets have a referendum on the future of the Royal Mail and the Post Office with rolling the clock back an option for voters. As far as pension funds are concerned let shareholders and taxpayers pay back the benefits they plundered during the good years. And outlaw this piracy in future.

:10900: you ought to be on the stage!!!!!!

:hang:

SWEEPING IT!!!!

Rant Over!!

STRIKE ACTION IS NOT A THREAT ANYMORE!!

it is coming in october that you can almost guarantee! Anyway ALY once you get all your facts right then you can feel free to have a rant!!

its not JUST about a paydeal, (one that was agreed, that they renaged on!) and most posties are going to strike because of the lack of service YOU/ME are getting!

ROYAL MAIL IS A BUSINESS NOW, NOT A SERVICE!

do you seriously think that posties want to be out delivering yon time in the afternoon? carrying overweight bags? working through breaks? delivering pkts that they cant get rid of because everybody is out at work?

:nah::nah::nah::nah:

my rant over!!!!!!

iamcraigbeattie
You realy are ingnorant of the real facts and reasons why there is a threat of strike action on the cards again:10900:If you even bothered to check the CWU web site that i provided you would see why.They maybe plebs in your eyes but what would you know off the real reasons of possible strike action,mmm, none.:2thumbsup: If you do not like RM then you can go to DHL,TNT or any other NON BRITISH MAIL COMPANY.Yes postmen and women are paid to provide a service but when that very service is being undermined by a management who agreed to 5 stages of the new pay and modernisation package only to rip up stage 5 and force through UNFAIR AND UN -AGREEABLE WORKING PRACTISES AND REDUNDANCY'S BASED ON LIES ON FIGURES OF MAIL VOLUME REDUCTIONS AND HOW LONG IT TAKES A POSTIE TO COMPLETE HIS DELIVERY.These figures were and are the justifcations on forcing cut backs and making walks even longer., PEGASUS .(computer fed walk logs of an individual walk and its number of delivery points, these numbers were fed into a computer and it worked out how long it would take a postman to complete his delivery, closing gates,walking up and down paths , climbing stairs , waiting for people to answer their doors or to sign for mail ect).:stuart: was the term used by Royal mail management to work out how long a walk would take a postman to complete, if that walk fell below 3.5 hours then more delivery points were added on to it from other walks or duties that were done away with or lost.Some of these walks were made part time and filled by new part time post men and women.Now these figures, particularly from the PEGASUS results at first DID not match what the RM bosses wanted, they in fact showed that most walks WERE near or on 3.5 hours to complete.So now the smoking gun ,:10900:these figures were then READJUSTED to justify losing duties, introduction of part time walks , redundancies and the justification of no pay rises in line with inflation as was promised and agreed by Royal mail.Royal mail delivery office managers were given a bonus of between ?3-4,000 if they completed these changes based on these false figures.Now what would you do in your present job if similar actions and decisions were affecting you in your present job, bend over and take more up the dark tunnel or show some character:nah: and b**** to protect your job and your mates.:2thumbsup:

"If you even bothered to check the CWU web site that i provided you would see why" - Sadly i never had time to check your web page as i was to busy doing what im paid to do and thats working. Dont worry mate i use couriers far more than i use RM. I like the fact your recommending people to use alternative couriers other than the RM too. If everyone was to do this what would the result be ?? Yes redundancies, that was a clever point. Thanks for your rant ive noted all your points and ill remember to bow to my post man when he comes tomorrow.:10900:

"If you even bothered to check the CWU web site that i provided you would see why" - Sadly i never had time to check your web page Thanks for your rant ive noted all your points and ill remember to bow to my post man when he comes tomorrow.:10900:

GOOD! haha

The perks of my job are getting spoken too like a bit **** from staff and customers.If I dont work a extra shift they have a go at me,Low pay 6.50PH.Working with a lazy git that listens too crap music all night and I get no say in what goes on the radio.Massive walk too work working nights every weekend no one will ever cover for me yet expect me too do it for them.30mins break that I never get.10% discount that can't be used for fags petrol or oil and a crap bonus at the end of the month that makes my wage a little less laughable so I think the perks of your job are slightly better than mine.I would gladly go back to royal mail too get out of my job.

Well the perks that i get are SOMETIMES finishing early on my delivery, that used to be a Tuesday when the mail traffic is lower than the rest of the week but that is now changing as there seems to be more down stream access coming in to DOs now.I do sympathise with your working conditions , i take it you have no unions to get advise from, if you have get in touch with them.Why did you leave RM.

Archived