Capitalists rejoice, Castro steps down

BlackJAC?

For those that can't be arsed clicking on link:

Fidel Castro announces retirement

Fidel Castro talks to the Brazilian president in a video chat (15 January 2008)

Fidel Castro has not been seen in public since his operation in July

Castro's career

Cuba's ailing leader Fidel Castro has announced he will not return to the presidency, in a letter published by official Communist Party paper, Granma.

"I neither will aspire to, nor will I accept, the position of president of the council of state and commander in chief," he wrote in the letter.

Mr Castro handed over power temporarily to his brother, Raul, in July 2006 when he underwent intestinal surgery.

The 81-year-old has ruled Cuba since leading a communist revolution in 1959.

In December, Mr Castro indicated that he might possibly step down in favour of younger leaders, saying "my primary duty is not to cling to any position".

Soon afterwards, Raul Castro appeared to suggest that his older brother still had an important political role to play, saying the president still had full use of his mental faculties and was being consulted on all important policy issues.

'No saying farewell'

In the letter, published on Granma's website during the middle of the night in Cuba, Mr Castro said he would not accept another five-year term as president when the National Assembly meets on Sunday, because of the health problems.

My only wish is to fight as a soldier of ideas

Fidel Castro

Letter published in Granma

Excepts of Castro's letter

Castro: The great survivor

Send us your comments

"It would betray my conscience to take up a responsibility that requires mobility and total devotion, that I am not in a physical condition to offer," he wrote.

However, Mr Castro insisted he was "not saying farewell".

"My only wish is to fight as a soldier of ideas," he added. "I will continue writing under the title, Reflections of Comrade Fidel."

"I will be one more weapon in the arsenal that you can count on. Perhaps my voice will be heard. I will be careful."

The National Assembly is widely expected to elect 76-year-old Raul Castro as his successor, although analysts say there is speculation about a possible generational jump with Vice-President Carlos Lage Davila, 56, a leading contender.

If elected, Raul Castro has indicated that major economic reforms could be on the way.

FIDEL CASTRO

Born in 1926 to a wealthy, landowning family

Took up arms in 1953, six years before coming to power

Brother Raul was deputy and Che Guevara third in command

Has outlasted nine American presidents

Target of many CIA assassination plots

Daughter is a dissident exile in Miami

Castro's life in pictures

The BBC's Michael Voss in Havana says nobody knows whether Mr Castro's decision not to seek another five-year term has been prompted by a decline in his health - it has been an official secret since the moment he was taken ill.

The president has not been seen in public for 18 months, although the government occasionally releases photographs and pre-edited video of him meeting visiting leaders from around the world.

Last month, Mr Castro was shown talking to his Brazilian counterpart, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who described him as being lucid and in good health.

Viva El Presidente!!

Quite shrewd by the Cubans - the US is in the middle of Presidential Election year and is already involved in so much overseas intrigue can it handle anymore? Great time to change leadership while the US is too busy elsewhere.

I really hope they don't stick their oar into Cuba. It's none of their business.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I love the place for its atmosphere and the fact that its possibly one of the few places in the world thats not chock full of Maccy D's and Gap but its not all warm and cuddly

He's a dictator at the end of the day and there's a lot of **** goes down in Cuba everyday that you and I take for granted will never happen here

I love the place for its atmosphere and the fact that its possibly one of the few places in the world thats not chock full of Maccy D's and Gap but its not all warm and cuddly

He's a dictator at the end of the day and there's a lot of **** goes down in Cuba everyday that you and I take for granted will never happen here

True on both counts. I wouldnt mind their healthcare systems and literacy rates though...

Shouldn't it be the Cubans that are rejoicing rather than Capitalists?

Well possibly not since Castro is still the head of the Communist Party and it's his brother who is taking over as President.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
True on both counts. I wouldnt mind their healthcare systems and literacy rates though...

True, my mate had treatment over there for a brain injury a couple of years ago, allegedly one of the best places in the world for that stuff.

On the downside, most of the schools don't have 2 biro's to rub together and your average wage is ?15 a month

True, my mate had treatment over there for a brain injury a couple of years ago, allegedly one of the best places in the world for that stuff.

On the downside, most of the schools don't have 2 biro's to rub together and your average wage is ?15 a month

Wages are relative though. If everyone is paid low then what's the issue?

Shouldn't it be the Cubans that are rejoicing rather than Capitalists?

Well possibly not since Castro is still the head of the Communist Party and it's his brother who is taking over as President.

Possibly his brother...

From the BBC

The National Assembly is widely expected to elect 76-year-old Raul Castro as his successor, although analysts say there is speculation about a possible generational jump with Vice-President Carlos Lage Davila, 56, a leading contender.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7252109.stm

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Wages are relative though. If everyone is paid low then what's the issue?

It wouldn't be an issue if everything they needed/wanted came from Cuba but it doesn't. Thieving and scams are widespread because of this.

Something like 60 or 70% of the island's cash comes from tourists, another 10% comes from what ex pats send home. Subsequently anybody that works in the tourist industry earns more than a doctor.

F All to buy in the local shops, poverty everywhere, virtually no access to anything but basic fare for your locals, ie not much meat, dairy produce etc

Oh and if you criticise this you find yourself in serious hot water

It wouldn't be an issue if everything they needed/wanted came from Cuba but it doesn't. Thieving and scams are widespread because of this.

If the US didn't apply the biggest trade & financial embargo in history (despite UN Resolution calling for its ban) Cuba would have a lot more of what it needs. :)

One of the last places on earth where you can go too on holiday and never meet or have to suffer any 'chieftan tanks', for that reason, Cuba will always have a place in my heart.

:band::cheers::food-smiley-004:

'Viva El Presidente'

Anyone else got the feeling that he might already be dead?

The whole "you'll never see me for ages but i'll keep writing essays called the Reflections of comrade Fidel" thing sounds a bit suspicious to me.

This is not based on anything other than a randon thought i had.

Anyone else got the feeling that he might already be dead?

The whole "you'll never see me for ages but i'll keep writing essays called the Reflections of comrade Fidel" thing sounds a bit suspicious to me.

This is not based on anything other than a randon thought i had.

He's planning a coup with Tupac in Florida as we speak.

He's planning a coup with Tupac in Florida as we speak.

Tupac has been dead for yonks but still manages to release a new album every few months.

Wonder what his world tour will be like.

If the US didn't apply the biggest trade & financial embargo in history (despite UN Resolution calling for its ban) Cuba would have a lot more of what it needs. :)

Did anyone see George Galloway on Channel4 news ? Hilarious. The interviewer asked him a 'leading' question to which Georgeous George pointed out Cuba had high literacy rates , a great health care system and slaughtered the US for their attempts to subvert the system that delivered it.

Accused Ch4 of being 'Fox News' as they portrayed a picture of a complete tyrant without mentioning any of the good things he'd done. The presenter then said well he is a tyrant/dictator. At which point GG went apopleptic again. I'm no Communist or fan of Cuba but it's strange the media here never mention much about Castro booting out the US backed dictator and the Mafia/gangsters that infested the place at the time.

On the blockade front : the US is now threatening Hugo Chavez with the same treatment. So he went and bought a fleet of submarines and told the US if they send a single ship near Venezuela he'll blow it up. Viva la revolution !!

Tupac has been dead for yonks but still manages to release a new album every few months.

Wonder what his world tour will be like.

I'd like to think Helen Daniels will be doing human beat box as the support act.

On the blockade front : the US is now threatening Hugo Chavez with the same treatment. So he went and bought a fleet of submarines and told the US if they send a single ship near Venezuela he'll blow it up. Viva la revolution !!

The thing is, Chavez is more reliant on the US than they are on him.

To them, he's just an annoying dictator-clown.

Without America's petro-dollars, Chavez's populist reforms would become increasingly unrealistic.

Did anyone see George Galloway on Channel4 news ? Hilarious. The interviewer asked him a 'leading' question to which Georgeous George pointed out Cuba had high literacy rates ' date=' a great health care system and slaughtered the US for their attempts to subvert the system that delivered it.

Accused Ch4 of being 'Fox News' as they portrayed a picture of a complete tyrant without mentioning any of the good things he'd done. The presenter then said well he is a tyrant/dictator. At which point GG went apopleptic again. I'm no Communist or fan of Cuba but it's strange the media here never mention much about Castro booting out the US backed dictator and the Mafia/gangsters that infested the place at the time.

[/quote']

A very good point.

Watching the ITN news they were talking about how Cuba is in somewhat of a 'time warp' - they never once mentioned that they are in said 'time warp' due to economic barriers put in place by the US. Yet the country still has done pretty damm well for itself.

The thing is' date=' Chavez is more reliant on the US than they are on him.

Without America's petro-dollars, Chavez's populist reforms would become increasingly unrealistic.[/quote']

I don't often disagree with you but with the world demand for oil rising, mainly due to the high rate of economic growth in China and India, I would say that, providing Chavez can avoid the inevitable CIA sponsored attempts to have him assassinate him, he will have Good Ol' Uncle Sam by the short and curlies.

Without America's petro-dollars, Chavez's populist reforms would become increasingly unrealistic.[/quote']

I don't often disagree with you but with the world demand for oil rising, mainly due to the high rate of economic growth in China and India, I would say that, providing Chavez can avoid the inevitable CIA sponsored attempts to have him assassinate him, he will have Good Ol' Uncle Sam by the short and curlies.

Yet the country still has done pretty damm well for itself.

Yea, it does so well that thousands of its citizens every year risk their lives to swim/float to Florida.

Maybe their high rate of literacy helps them see what a terrible 'government'* system they live under.

*For government, read dictatorship.

But somehow it's okay for Castro to be a dictator because he has tried to stick it to the USA... Does Mogabe, or Kim Jung Il, or the Chinese govenment get the same support from 'lefties'? Why not, they are all 'communist/marxist' dictatorships too?

Yea, it does so well that thousands of its citizens every year risk their lives to swim/float to Florida.

Maybe their high rate of literacy helps them see what a terrible 'government'* system they live under.

But somehow it's okay for Castro to be a dictator because he has tried to stick it to the USA... Does Mogabe, or Kim Jung Il, or the Chinese govenment get the same support from 'lefties'? Why not, they are all 'communist/marxist' dictatorships too?

When this country was at war against the Axis forces in WWII democracy was effectively suspended.

For the last 50 years the Cuban people have been constantly at war against the might of the most powerful country in the world. Perhaps this explains certain "democratic" restrictions that appear in Cuba.

Well, that's what Gorgeous George said last night...and I think he has a point to an extent.

The Cuban poet on Newsnight was top man.

On the subject of Chavez I watched a superb documentary the other night. It was made by an irish television crew who just happened to be interviewing chavez during the CIA sponsored coup attempt and was called "the revolution will not be televised".

The film really highlights how much the major tv networks are in the hands of the US Government. One of the best documentarys I have seen and in parts is much more dramatic than most hollywood films.

I would also recommend John Pilgers last film "the war against democracy".

This one also looks at the US coup against Chavez but also the other interventions by the United States in South America.

Just like thousands of immigrants risk their lives trying to get in to the UK? France is not dictatorship.

Just like Just like thousands of immigrants risk their lives trying to get in to the US from Mexico?

Mexico isn't a dictatorship.

You have to look at the reasons why people flea, and why these reasons have occurred in the first place. A lot them have been caused by the US and their economic embargo on Cuba.

I don't often disagree with you but with the world demand for oil rising' date=' mainly due to the high rate of economic growth in China and India, I would say that, providing Chavez can avoid the inevitable CIA sponsored attempts to have him assassinate him, he will have Good Ol' Uncle Sam by the short and curlies.[/quote']

I take your point but it's largely been shown this week that Chavez is full of bluster on that one - he threatened to cut crude exports to the US over the Exxon Mobil claim against Venezuela's state oil firm last week... then decided just to cut them to Exxon (a piffling number of barrels in the greater scheme of things... especially when we're talking about the biggest non-state oil company in the world).

Should Venezuela cut exports to the US, other exporters would step up to fill the breach (granted, the US might have to pay a slight premium/global prices might rise as a result) - the problem for Chavez is he'd:

A. Have to find an alternative buyer for Venezuela's oil... probably selling it a discount, further cutting his petrodollar revenue (which has been supported by record prices... but is suffering due to lower production as he tries to increase the role of his state oil firm... losing some of the much needed expertise/investment from the oil multinationals.

B. The crude that comes out of Venezuela is especially heavy... and the best refiners for it (some of which are part owned by the Venezuela state oil firm) are based in (yeup you guessed it) the US of A.

Chavez might have the barrels, but the US have him and his chums bent over them at the mo'.

Did anyone see George Galloway on Channel4 news ? Hilarious. The interviewer asked him a 'leading' question to which Georgeous George pointed out Cuba had high literacy rates ' date=' a great health care system and slaughtered the US for their attempts to subvert the system that delivered it.

On the blockade front : the US is now threatening Hugo Chavez with the same treatment. So he went and bought a fleet of submarines and told the US if they send a single ship near Venezuela he'll blow it up. Viva la revolution !![/quote']

that was well funny.

I take your point but it's largely been shown this week that Chavez is full of bluster on that one - he threatened to cut crude exports to the US over the Exxon Mobil claim against Venezuela's state oil firm last week... then decided just to cut them to Exxon (a piffling number of barrels in the greater scheme of things... especially when we're talking about the biggest non-state oil company in the world).

Should Venezuela cut exports to the US' date=' other exporters would step up to fill the breach (granted, the US might have to pay a slight premium/global prices might rise as a result) - the problem for Chavez is he'd:

[b']A. [/b]Have to find an alternative buyer for Venezuela's oil... probably selling it a discount, further cutting his petrodollar revenue (which has been supported by record prices... but is suffering due to lower production as he tries to increase the role of his state oil firm... losing some of the much needed expertise/investment from the oil multinationals.

B. The crude that comes out of Venezuela is especially heavy... and the best refiners for it (some of which are part owned by the Venezuela state oil firm) are based in (yeup you guessed it) the US of A.

Chavez might have the barrels, but the US have him and his chums bent over them at the mo'.

Dave, I bow to your knowledge on the subject but would still like to think that Chavez could stick two fingers up to the US if push comes to shove.

Dave' date=' I bow to your knowledge on the subject but would still like to think that Chavez could stick two fingers up to the US if push comes to shove.[/quote']

Loved it when he offered cheap oil to the US as long as it was given to the poor. :)

Loved it when he offered cheap oil to the US as long as it was given to the poor. :)

Aye' date=' cutting political one-upmanship deals (like the Transport for London deal with Red Ken) is just great.

The [i']relative[/i] poor of London get subsidised public transport via cheap oil... Ken gets er up to the vinegar strokes hanging out with a 'revolutionary' and the people of Venezuela get 'consultancy services'.

Aye, sounds like a great deal for them. Stick it to the man.

Should Venezuela cut exports to the US' date=' other exporters would step up to fill the breach (granted, the US might have to pay a slight premium/global prices might rise as a result) - the problem for Chavez is he'd:

[b']A. [/b]Have to find an alternative buyer for Venezuela's oil... probably selling it a discount, further cutting his petrodollar revenue (which has been supported by record prices... but is suffering due to lower production as he tries to increase the role of his state oil firm... losing some of the much needed expertise/investment from the oil multinationals.

Much of what you say there is spot on, comrade. However, I'm not sure I would agree with the last bit. Chavez is one shrewd cookie. However, it appears to me that while he means well, he finds it hard to deal with competent sub-ordinates; seems like sometimes he can't just help himself.

He reminds me of Vlad a bit; has the power to do good for his people, sends out many signals suggesting he wants to, but seems unable to accept that he needs help to achieve it. Both are also getting a bit tiresome.

Much of what you say there is spot on' date=' comrade. However, I'm not sure I would agree with the last bit. Chavez is one shrewd cookie. However, it appears to me that while he means well, he finds it hard to deal with competent sub-ordinates; seems like sometimes he can't just help himself.

He reminds me of Vlad a bit; has the power to do good for his people, sends out many signals suggesting he wants to, but seems unable to accept that he needs help to achieve it. Both are also getting a bit tiresome.[/quote']

I largely agree with your assessment of Chavez (and like Vlad he's definitely got a childish/attention seeking streak which can prove counterproductive to what he wishes to achieve) but I'd be interested to know what you think he could do to really get it up America.

The economics of the situation makes it look like his hands are largley tied to me.

Is a petro-dollar worth the same as a US one? At say $80 a barrel Chavez might be abe to buy a new techie block for a school in Caracas if he sold the yanks all the oil rights at his disposal.

Hank and Chuck need to despoil the planet with their cheap gas and their big-assed trucks, presidents elect remember that so it's either in with the boys or dance to Chavez's tune to an extent. He's got what Fidel never had, the ability to make the graphs in Wall Street go up and down at his pleasure.

Is a petro-dollar worth the same as a US one? At say $80 a barrel Chavez might be abe to buy a new techie block for a school in Caracas if he sold the yanks all the oil rights at his disposal.

Hank and Chuck need to despoil the planet with their cheap gas and their big-assed trucks' date=' presidents elect remember that so it's either in with the boys or dance to Chavez's tune to an extent. He's got what Fidel never had, the ability to make the graphs in Wall Street go up and down at his pleasure.[/quote']

For Chavez, a petro-dollar probably is worth as much as a US one as so many of Venezuela's imports will come from America. It's a different matter for Middle Eastern countries who receive payment in dollars (and tie their local currency to the greenback) and import the majority of their goods from the Eurozone... but that's another argument.

As for the ability to make Wall St. graphs move at his pleasure... I'd argue he's more a convienent justification for any oil price moves (in the short-term anyway) than someone who has the power to dominate the market... without feckin' his own domestic aims anyway.

I don't agree with the long running sanctions on Cuba... but they certainly prove who wields the biggest stick.

I don't agree with the long running sanctions on Cuba... but they certainly prove who wields the biggest stick.

I would have to bow to your superior knowledge on a lot of the issues involved here Dave but the stick may be starting to get pulled a bit.

Incidentally get that quoting thing sorted out. :P

I would have to bow to your superior knowledge on a lot of the issues involved here Dave but the stick may be starting to get pulled a bit.

Touche.

It might be... but it's very much up in the air, and my gut says he doesn't have the ability to cause the US as much trouble as he'd like to pretend.

Chavez has threatened $200 per barrel of oil if the US invades (which would be damaging to the American and the global economy)... but I don't think anyone seriously thinks the US is going to go that far.

Guest GhostHunter

Hank and Chuck need to despoil the planet with their cheap gas and their big-assed trucks' date=' presidents elect remember that so it's either in with the boys or dance to Chavez's tune to an extent. He's got what Fidel never had, the ability to make the graphs in Wall Street go up and down at his pleasure.[/quote']

Test

When you're posting, please make sure that there are sufficient

for all those quoted - i.e in the above, there are 2 quotes within one post, therefore you need 2 at the end...

Archived