Today warmed me to a British League or Cup

Cliffundo

I would love some sort of compitition were we could participate in games like today on a more regular basis. I enjoyed tuesdays game with our 2nd half performance being a good standard...but todays game was different class and the added edge with the away support made a bit special for a friendly.

I would love to see a british cup or league at some point in the future. top 5 clubs from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales...or something along those lines....aslong as we were involved I would care about the format.

Make the League Cup the British Leagues Cup.

Local regions until quarter finalish stages.

Rotate the final around the counties too.

Simple.

Hearts Heritage

The 'Big' clubs would run a mile from it. They have the Champions League.

I'd love to see a British knock out cup to replace the rank-rotten League Cup.

Basically the SPL, Premiership, Championship and the top 6 from the IFA in Northern Ireland.

64 clubs.

Maybe not if the League Cup was binned.

MacDonald Jardine

You could have a decent competition without the big 4.

The problem is that given most of the EPL treat the FA Cup as an unnecessary evil until about the semi finals I can't see them taking something like this seriously.

shaun.lawson
You tell me?

They do - yet the tournament's still a joke. I used to be hugely in favour of a British Cup - but few sides would take it seriously, and it'd also become a joke once the novelty wore off I'm afraid.

You could have a decent competition without the big 4.

The problem is that given most of the EPL treat the FA Cup as an unnecessary evil until about the semi finals I can't see them taking something like this seriously.

Like other have said...bin the league cup and incorperate the new British cup into the season....be a great cash generator for our club and some great days for the fans.

They do - yet the tournament's still a joke. I used to be hugely in favour of a British Cup - but few sides would take it seriously, and it'd also become a joke once the novelty wore off I'm afraid.

It would be a joke for the top few clubs but I'm willing to stick my neck on the block and say that it would be reasonably popular with most of the rest. Certainly more so than the LC.

MacDonald Jardine
Like other have said...bin the league cup and incorperate the new British cup into the season....be a great cash generator for our club and some great days for the fans.

I actually agree with you.

But the English clubs treat the League Cup as even more of a joke.

I actually agree with you.

But the English clubs treat the League Cup as even more of a joke.

Yeah!...they do...but surely if there was some incentive ie; European place for such a cup, some clubs would actually take it very serious as a route into Europe...except the big four down there...nobody is guarunteed nothing...so it could inspire a few clubs to do their best.

Maybe we could have the two Scottish League cup finalists join the English carling cup at some stage. I would rather have a game against any English opposition than a Scottish club.

As long as Hearts fans didn't attempt to sing songs belonging to the tartan army like today, most of these ta people hate scottish club sides and especially Hearts because they see themselves as a club team of their own. Basically they are the sporting wing of the snp.

hearts_crazy

Strangely I was thinking about a similar thing today when I saw how many fans Sunderland brought up. Thinking of all those games playing pishy St Midden and Hamilton and that with their dozen or so fans. The SPL is pish. If the pishy SPL was scrapped as a bad joke and there was an actual British league we may start off in the lower divisions, but with our fan base and the extra money coming in we could potentially do fairly well in a British league. Or am I just being silly?

Strangely I was thinking about a similar thing today when I saw how many fans Sunderland brought up. Thinking of all those games playing pishy St Midden and Hamilton and that with their dozen or so fans. The SPL is pish. If the pishy SPL was scrapped as a bad joke and there was an actual British league we may start off in the lower divisions, but with our fan base and the extra money coming in we could potentially do fairly well in a British league. Or am I just being silly?

I would not fancy having to start from the bottom of the English leagues... A cup would be better imo. look at Southampton...bit support and fan base potential...cutting it in the 2nd div...we would stuggle to climb up tbh

I would like to see competition with Scottish Teams, me and my mate were talking ages ago about how competition with Scotland could be done and we both thought of what we called 'The Premier League Cup' involving the EPL and SPL, taking the EPL and SPL teams out of there respective League Cups and playing this competition instead, with the winner being granted a European Place, with the final alternating between Hampden and Wembley.

We came up with 2 ideas for this orginally, 1 was to have straight KO regionalised with EPL v EPL and SPL v SPL up till the Quarters.

But with a competition like that I would do it with straight KO all the way through but each EPL team would play an SPL team in each round, It wouldn't be seeded, just two pots, 1 for the EPL, 1 SPL.

Just my own two bobs worth on this

jambos are go!

IMO we should like the OF give serious consideration to life outside the SPL. The football world in Europe is ripe for a Revolution like Kerry Packer or the recent Indian League brought to Cricket. Clubs and players will follow the money. We are just big enough to scrape in somewhere in the new set up.

I would like to see competition with Scottish Teams, me and my mate were talking ages ago about how competition with Scotland could be done and we both thought of what we called 'The Premier League Cup' involving the EPL and SPL, taking the EPL and SPL teams out of there respective League Cups and playing this competition instead, with the winner being granted a European Place, with the final alternating between Hampden and Wembley.

We came up with 2 ideas for this orginally, 1 was to have straight KO regionalised with EPL v EPL and SPL v SPL up till the Quarters.

But with a competition like that I would do it with straight KO all the way through but each EPL team would play an SPL team in each round, It wouldn't be seeded, just two pots, 1 for the EPL, 1 SPL.

Just my own two bobs worth on this

I like the sound of this Fozz. I would love something like this to be considered. We would thrive and it would be a cash gerenrator.

High Roller
Maybe we could have the two Scottish League cup finalists join the English carling cup at some stage. I would rather have a game against any English opposition than a Scottish club.

As long as Hearts fans didn't attempt to sing songs belonging to the tartan army like today, most of these ta people hate scottish club sides and especially Hearts because they see themselves as a club team of their own. Basically they are the sporting wing of the snp.[/QUOTE]

that is the biggest lot eh pash i have ever read on this forum.

$ilvery_Moon

I would like to see it but that sadly would be true.

Say What Again

I'd be fully against it.

Most points I could offer have been made already.

Any 'big' team wouldn't give a monkeys about it.

What would England do with the Europe spot? (yes, next league placing - does that suit them all? I doubt it)

I can see the polis loving it - busloads of Hearts/Hibs/Rangers/Spurs/Everton etc crossing the border. If this forum and Hibs.net and the grapevine are anything to go by then there's been trouble at a fair few 'friendlies' already

It would be wee'er than the wee cup

Rank idea IMO

Buffalo Bill

Hearts v Sunderland on a warm Saturday in August is one thing but what about Wigan v Motherwell on a cold Wednesday in November?

I'm not sure if it would work. Cartainly Man Utd and Chelsea would have no appetite for it.

How about Hearts staging an annual event involving two English teams, played over the Thursday and the Saturday at Tynecastle? That would give it an edge.

Only a Game

What MIGHT work and MIGHT be attractive to mid table Premiership teams is a pre-season Edinburgh mini tournament with Hearts, Hibs and two decent Premiership teams invited. Shouldnt be too difficult to organise.

Anything wider than that and during the season IMO is a non starter.

Drylaw Hearts
What MIGHT work and MIGHT be attractive to mid table Premiership teams is a pre-season Edinburgh mini tournament with Hearts, Hibs and two decent Premiership teams invited. Shouldnt be too difficult to organise.

Anything wider than that and during the season IMO is a non starter.

Was that not the thinking behind the Festival Cup ?

Only a Game
Was that not the thinking behind the Festival Cup ?

Yeh but it never really got off the ground much further than an insipid pre-season derby. Not sure I want a pre-season derby but the semi competitive "tournament" structure might attract teams from the middle of the EPL, Spurs etc etc.

As long as Hearts fans didn't attempt to sing songs belonging to the tartan army like today' date=' most of these ta people hate scottish club sides and especially Hearts because they see themselves as a club team of their own. Basically they are the sporting wing of the snp.[/[/font']QUOTE]

that is the biggest lot eh pash i have ever read on this forum.

In your opinion. I know it's true

Hearts Heritage
....the semi competitive "tournament" structure might attract teams from the middle of the EPL, Spurs etc etc.

Teams in the EPL have 1 priority staying in the EPL. They don't put out full sides in the FA Cup, the League Cup or even Europe so no chance of this taking off. There's very little TV interest in anything outside the EPL or the CL. So total non starter. Might have worked in 1950s ........

Oh it was tried then.....

Only a Game
Teams in the EPL have 1 priority staying in the EPL. They don't put out full sides in the FA Cup, the League Cup or even Europe so no chance of this taking off. There's very little TV interest in anything outside the EPL or the CL. So total non starter. Might have worked in 1950s ........

Oh it was tried then.....

Eh ? I was meaning a pre-season tournament ONLY. A sucessful format all over the place just now. Anything during the season that does not involve bucketloads of money would be of no interest to a Premiership side at either end of the table, or the middle. I think thats what I said earlier ?? (Its certainly what I meant)

Marooned In Oz

In your opinion. I know it's true

What a complete helmet.

No other words needed I'm afraid.

What a complete helmet.

No other words needed I'm afraid.

You been to Scotland game recently ?

It would be a real eye opener, even if it's not so openly obvious to you deep down they are nationalist nut cases with large chips on their shoulders on a par with your average celtic fan.

Marooned In Oz

It would be a real eye opener' date=' even if it's not so openly obvious to you deep down they are nationalist nut cases with large chips on their shoulders on a par with your average celtic fan.[/quote']

The last Scotland game I went to was a year and a half ago. There is no shame in being proud of being Scottish. I am a proud jambo and a proud scot.

200milesfromgorgie

bin the english and scottish league cups, dont bother with prems big 4 and we might have a tasty cup on our hands.

It would be a real eye opener, even if it's not so openly obvious to you deep down they are nationalist nut cases with large chips on their shoulders on a par with your average celtic fan.

Yep... still wrong.

Smoked-Glass

. it should be kept in its own country until the teams playing in Europe join the compeition.

. Then everyone enters an UNSEEDED draw that could take the format of either the current CARLING/CO OP cup (one game ET and pens),

or the FA/SCOTTISH cup (1 replay at the other teams ground),

or 2 LEGS (with AWAY GOALS)

. The winners should get a decent some of money.

. The winner should get a EUROPA league place (if the winner is scottish then that means one less place gets it in the league or scottish cup that year)

. You can be sure that the tv companys will be very interested in this cup and there could be a bidding war for live games and highlights between SKY, ESN, BBC, ITV, CHANNEL 5 (but not setanta haha)

. it should be kept in its own country until the teams playing in Europe join the compeition.

. Then everyone enters an UNSEEDED draw that could take the format of either the current CARLING/CO OP cup (one game ET and pens),

or the FA/SCOTTISH cup (1 replay at the other teams ground),

or 2 LEGS (with AWAY GOALS)

. The winners should get a decent some of money.

. The winner should get a EUROPA league place (if the winner is scottish then that means one less place gets it in the league or scottish cup that year)

. You can be sure that the tv companys will be very interested in this cup and there could be a bidding war for live games and highlights between SKY, ESN, BBC, ITV, CHANNEL 5 (but not setanta haha)

I thinkso mate!...I think it would generate a lot of interest.

A "British Cup" would definately generate a lot of interest for fans outside the top 4 in the EPL, and who knows if it was picked up by a major broadcaster a lot of oney could eventually be ploughed into it, maybe enough for the big 4 to take a little more interest. I have no doubt sky/espn bbc etc would be very interested in the rights to a tournament involving Scottish and English teams. Marketed properly it could be a goldmine and certainly more money would be on offer for Scottish clubs than our league cup offers.

Hearts Heritage

They don't care about anything but the EPL and the CL. The FA Cup has been shunted around. No one cares about the Oldest Cup competition in the World. Nevermind some 5th rate competition.

See the crowds that were attending the later years of the Anglo Scottish Cup.

Let them. No League cup entry for european entrants, except the previous year's LC winner (in, if that still gets you into Europe).

Smoked-Glass

let them put out a reserve side if they want. I don't care might mean they are easier to beat and it bloods youngsters for the future.

Thig Ar Latha

That sounds like what happened to the Old Texaco Cup. First couple of years were good and then the English Teams got bored and let Teams from lower divisions involved due to a lack of interest from the bigger Clubs.

Tournament died due to a lack of interest after a few years.

Thig Ar Latha

As long as Hearts fans didn't attempt to sing songs belonging to the tartan army like today, most of these ta people hate scottish club sides and especially Hearts because they see themselves as a club team of their own. Basically they are the sporting wing of the snp.

Probably the most stupid and ignorant post I have ever read on Kickback. :smell_hobo:

I would love some sort of compitition were we could participate in games like today on a more regular basis. I enjoyed tuesdays game with our 2nd half performance being a good standard...but todays game was different class and the added edge with the away support made a bit special for a friendly.

I would love to see a british cup or league at some point in the future. top 5 clubs from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales...or something along those lines....aslong as we were involved I would care about the format.

I said we should do, this last season on my site. To get rid of all the countries League Cup's and make it into one big competition between Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland.

Just imagine ties such as - Linfield v Celtic, Derry v Rangers lol - thats maybe why it wouldn't happen...

Hearts Heritage

Hearts have been directly involved in 3 attempts at playing in an anglo Scottish League / Cup.

There was a proposed North East league involving Hearts, Hibs, Newcastle and Sunderland at the start of the 20th Century.

In the 1950s the 'floodlight league' which was killed off by the SFA nd the FA, replaced by a series of floodlight friendlies.

Hearts playing their games at Easter Road.

And the Texaco Cup.

We (the Scots) would be far more into it than les anglaise IMO

I love the idea - some sort of League Cup hybrid - the last 4 in Scotland being paired off with the last 4 in England....

But there are too many games as it is and I dont think the English would be that interested in us to be honest

We (the Scots) would be far more into it than les anglaise IMO

I love the idea - some sort of League Cup hybrid - the last 4 in Scotland being paired off with the last 4 in England....

But there are too many games as it is and I dont think the English would be that interested in us to be honest

Thats the thing we would tend to want it more than they do. We could do with the buckies it would generate us...clubs in the EPL would not care about a couple of games against us, they allready rake it in.

Thats the thing we would tend to want it more than they do. We could do with the buckies it would generate us...clubs in the EPL would not care about a couple of games against us, they allready rake it in.

The compromise maybe is a one off "British League Super Cup" final where the winners of both play each other. Could be tried as a taster to see what the appetite is for such games

The compromise maybe is a one off "British League Super Cup" final where the winners of both play each other. Could be tried as a taster to see what the appetite is for such games

Sounds very good!!! I would like to see that :)

Hearts Heritage

There used to be the 'Unofficial World Championship' between the Cup Winners. Amongst the winners Hibs winning it in 1887 and Hearts in 1901-02.

Archived