Tosic......

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Will make all Man U fans forget about Ronaldo. Man U have found a player very similar to Messi, just been watching the game tonight and he has superstar written all over him!!!

alwaysthereinspirit

I'm sure he's half the reason excepting 80 million wasn't difficult.

What is he? 19?

Walter Bishop

What is he? 19?

I thought i heard Paddy Crerand say he was 17!!!

Everybody loves Baz

Just been wachimng him too, could be the next big superstar for Utd.

Craig-Section Z

Was he out on loan last season or something, i knew he was at Man U but seems to have just appeared on the scene this preseason.

The Old Tolbooth

Although I hate everything about manure, you gotta hand it to them for their scouting ability, they keep coming up with fantastic talent to carry them forward just when you think they might strugge, sadly :(

jamboinglasgow

What is he? 19?

He is 22, the same age as Messi.

But I agree he is a fantastic and SAF was very wise investing as much as he did in Tosic. Very rarely (unless they are a goalie) does SAF make a mistake when buying a young player (I know Nani and Anderson haven't set the heather alight but I think with Ronaldo gone this will be their season.)

If they sign one of the following of David Villa, David Silva or Sergio Aguero which the papers have been heavily linking them to then I cant see them not winning the league this season.

Walter Bishop
I thought i heard Paddy Crerand say he was 17!!!

Edit: Crerand was talking about the other boy they signed as part of the same deal, Adam Llajcic another supposed superstar!!

Valencia looks a bit tasty on the other side.

Think Tosic has a big future but not quite ready for the rigors of the EPL. Could do with signing Silva. Once that happens it'll be another silver laden season!

:sunny:

Haha,are you joking? Ronaldo has carried United the last few years and his goals show that.Valencia and Tosic wont score 100 goals between them! Tosic is a very good player but the hype that Valencia has is completly over the top! Ronaldo will NEVER be replaced by United.

RenfrewHearts

Man City have got the next best thing in Vladimir Weiss the boy looks absolutely unbelievable could be as good as Ronaldo.

Ronaldo will NEVER be replaced by United.

Like Hughes, Ince, Kancelskis, Cantona, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy.....

Aye alright then.....

Captain Scarlett
Will make all Man U fans forget about Ronaldo. Man U have found a player very similar to Messi, just been watching the game tonight and he has superstar written all over him!!!

If he doesnt dive around a la Ronaldo/larsson then im sure he will become a superstar

diehardjambo

Aye alright then.....

Schmicheal, Keane, Bruce etc

Gigolo-Aunt
Haha,are you joking? Ronaldo has carried United the last few years and his goals show that.Valencia and Tosic wont score 100 goals between them! Tosic is a very good player but the hype that Valencia has is completly over the top! Ronaldo will NEVER be replaced by United.

He never carried United, although it would be fair to say that he made a huge contribution.

It will be interesting to see how they do without his goals, but remember they will not be playing with 10 men now he has gone. Another player comes in to take a shirt.

The Mighty Thor
Edit: Crerand was talking about the other boy they signed as part of the same deal, Adam Llajcic another supposed superstar!!

I played golf last week with a guy who works for Man U in their scouting/reporting team and he reckons this lad is the better of the two.

He also reckons Valencia will be a real talent for them this season.

mattyw_1874

Aye alright then.....

Schmicheal, Keane, Bruce etc

In all fairness they all have never been replaced. The joy of having Fergie it don't matter a jot. United will just changed the tactic get the best out of Rooney, Berbatov and Owen, utilise Valencia, Tosic and Nani to feed the strikers with crosses for the goals.

I was at the game last night, was an very impressive display from United. Tosic was immense no doubt about it, however as others have said, Valencia is the man to watch this season. Caused all sorts of problems and nearly every cross was with pin-point accuracy.

Owen also looked to be on his A-game again, sharp, lots of sneaky runs behind the defence. United should win the title without breaking a sweat in my opinion. They certainly didn't miss Ronaldo last night.

I bought Tosic and the other young serb Utd have signed 'Ljajic' is his name on FM, and the two of them are outstanding players; FM doesn't lie lol.

Clueless!

No, what'll happen is we'll move on. Unlike Arsenal when Henry left.

Ronaldo didn't score 100 goals in 2 seasons, did he? We won the league last season without him banging in 2 every week.

Did i accidently log in to the man u forum instead of the hearts one ?:hanged:

No, but the joys of a football forum is that you can discuss football related matters.

I'm sure the Mods will be along any minute to remove this thread, the Celtic thread and the Bobby Robson thread too.

In all fairness they all have never been replaced. The joy of having Fergie it don't matter a jot. United will just changed the tactic get the best out of Rooney, Berbatov and Owen, utilise Valencia, Tosic and Nani to feed the strikers with crosses for the goals.

I'd argue that United became a better team after Keano left. Carrick has definately done his job, without all the fuss that came with Roy.

Bert Le Clos

I thought the boy playing right-back looked quality as well. Can't remember his name though.

Didn't miss a tackle and went on a couple of superb runs.

No, what'll happen is we'll move on. Unlike Arsenal when Henry left.

I disagree. Arsenal had begun to stagnate with Henry in the team. When he left, it allowed players like Fabregas, Hleb, Van Persie and Adebayor to flourish. I remember an interview with Fabregas where he said that they all felt they had to pass to Henry when he was in the team and it disrupted their creativity.

IMO, Arsenal are a much better side now. The reason they haven't been as successful is they have never replaced Vieira. Flamini did it brilliantly for a season but they let him slip through their fingers.

mattyw_1874
I'd argue that United became a better team after Keano left. Carrick has definately done his job, without all the fuss that came with Roy.

You will get no arguments here. Keane was a great captain for united and was the perfect player in his day for the side and era of 99, but United moved on just liek they will with Ronaldo gone that was my initial point.

Don't understand how you can say this.

Hughes left and was effectively replaced by Andy Cole and then Van Nistelrooy.

Cantona left and was effectively replaced by Sheringham and then Rooney.

Kanchelskis was effectively replaced by Beckham who was himself replaced by Ronaldo.

Bruce and Pallister were effectively replaced by Stam and Johnsen and then Ferdinand and Vidic.

Keane and Ince have been replaced by Flecther and Carrick.

Schmeichel replaced(evetually) by Van Der Sar.

Man Utd always replace quality with quality.

Now Ronaldo has gone and Tosic and Valencia will fill the gap.

Tevez has gone and Owen and Macheda will fill the gap.

I disagree. Arsenal had begun to stagnate with Henry in the team. When he left, it allowed players like Fabregas, Hleb, Van Persie and Adebayor to flourish. I remember an interview with Fabregas where he said that they all felt they had to pass to Henry when he was in the team and it disrupted their creativity.

IMO, Arsenal are a much better side now. The reason they haven't been as successful is they have never replaced Vieira. Flamini did it brilliantly for a season but they let him slip through their fingers.

They've not been able to buck that trend though, have they? In the past 5 years they've been slowly declining, getting worse as every year goes past.

They may play fancy attacking football, but if you were to have a real go at them, they'd fall apart.

For me, it's no longer the top 4, Arsenal have dropped out of it. They're now closer to the likes of Villa and Everton than they are to United or Chelsea. They badly need to overhaul their defence and goalkeeper. Almunia just has the feeling of being a complete bombscare and Fabianski is like Arsenal's own Zibi. Must just be Polish goalkeepers, I don't rate Kuszcak either.

Their midfield and attack are alright, but extremely lightweight.

Arsenal's heyday of going 49 games unbeaten is gone.

They've not been able to buck that trend though, have they? In the past 5 years they've been slowly declining, getting worse as every year goes past.

They may play fancy attacking football, but if you were to have a real go at them, they'd fall apart.

For me, it's no longer the top 4, Arsenal have dropped out of it. They're now closer to the likes of Villa and Everton than they are to United or Chelsea. They badly need to overhaul their defence and goalkeeper. Almunia just has the feeling of being a complete bombscare and Fabianski is like Arsenal's own Zibi. Must just be Polish goalkeepers, I don't rate Kuszcak either.

Still not sure I agree.

They are unbeaten in the league since November, something like 20 odd matches so that shows their solidity.

In 05/06 with Henry - 67 points - lost 11 matches

In 06/07 with Henry - 68 points - lost 8 matches

In 07/08 without Henry - 83 points - lost 3 matches

In 08/09 without Henry - 72 points - lost 6 matches

Think this proves they have been better without him.

Also, Wenger has ben building a new side since Henry left, a young side built around Fabregas and Van Persie and it has taken them a couple of years to mature. Think this will be their season. But they definitely need an experienced head in midfield.

shaun.lawson

A year ago, people were calling it a Big Three, with Liverpool on the outside looking in. That changed quickly enough, and it's still a Big Four for me - albeit with Arsenal having far and away the most questions to answer.

Meanwhile, I don't think it's Henry they miss. It's Vieira - when he was good I mean. To a lesser extent, it's also the famous back four which Wenger inherited. Where's the steel in the side? Where are the leaders? To win the title, you pretty much always have to have a balance: United would've been nothing without their hunger, drive, and frightening competitiveness, especially on their travels.

Meanwhile, Chelsea are still strong contenders because they have such a streetwise, cussed team. Arsenal are still learning - and to win the league at any point, Wenger will have to rip up the script of what's always succeeded up til now, and what hasn't.

Gigolo-Aunt
A year ago, people were calling it a Big Three, with Liverpool on the outside looking in. That changed quickly enough, and it's still a Big Four for me - albeit with Arsenal having far and away the most questions to answer.

Meanwhile, I don't think it's Henry they miss. It's Vieira - when he was good I mean. To a lesser extent, it's also the famous back four which Wenger inherited. Where's the steel in the side? Where are the leaders? To win the title, you pretty much always have to have a balance: United would've been nothing without their hunger, drive, and frightening competitiveness, especially on their travels.

Meanwhile, Chelsea are still strong contenders because they have such a streetwise, cussed team. Arsenal are still learning - and to win the league at any point, Wenger will have to rip up the script of what's always succeeded up til now, and what hasn't.

They mentioned last week on Sky Sports that Wenger had admitted an interest in Viera and would make a decision in the next week.

Not seen a paper this week so dont know if there is anymore about it.

shaun.lawson
They mentioned last week on Sky Sports that Wenger had admitted an interest in Viera and would make a decision in the next week.

Not seen a paper this week so dont know if there is anymore about it.

Mmm. Trouble is, the Vieira of now isn't a patch on when he was in his prime. Wenger's so good at selling a player for the right price - but not so good at getting a good enough replacement in first.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Mmm. Trouble is, the Vieira of now isn't a patch on when he was in his prime. Wenger's so good at selling a player for the right price - but not so good at getting a good enough replacement in first.

I doubt he'd play the same role though. He's be the shield in front of the back four allowing Fabregas to do more damage going forward.

It could be a great decision but they would only get 2 years max out of Vieira.

The Future's Maroon

Zoran Tosic AM LR - 28/4/87 (22)

(according to FM)!

just wondering shaun if you have any way of finding out what wenger has spent on players during his time at arsenal,and also how much he has made on player sales?

shaun.lawson
just wondering shaun if you have any way of finding out what wenger has spent on players during his time at arsenal,and also how much he has made on player sales?

Christ. Soccerbase would be the best bet I imagine: I'll have a look in a bit. But about four or five years back, Arsenal had spent half as much net on players as Spurs during Wenger's time: can you believe that?!

Christ. Soccerbase would be the best bet I imagine: I'll have a look in a bit. But about four or five years back, Arsenal had spent half as much net on players as Spurs during Wenger's time: can you believe that?!

unbelievable,anelka must be hig biggest profit made

im sure you will get me the info i wanted,cheers

I'm sure Wiltord is their record signing? :geek:

Valencia isn't there to replace Ronaldo, he's a completely different player. SAF has already admitted that Ronaldo leaving has forced him to change the team's shape back to a tradtional 4-4-2 with Valencia playing as supplier, not goalscorer.

I'm sure Wiltord is their record signing? :geek:

i was on about the biggest profit he has made on a player

signing anelka for 500k iirc and then flogging him for 20M or so

but i think your right with wiltord 13M iirc

I still believe they would have won the league two seasons ago if Eduardo hadn't been injured in that horrific way. They looked unstoppable and within a few days of that happening were out of every competition.

shaun.lawson

Hi kingston,

Wenger took over at Arsenal in September 1996. In that entire time, and according to Soccerbase, he's spent a grand total of ?33.6m net on transfer fees. Pretty good going, to say the least!

Deleat, looks like a player who could give Raphael a run for his money at RB.

I still believe they would have won the league two seasons ago if Eduardo hadn't been injured in that horrific way. They looked unstoppable and within a few days of that happening were out of every competition.

Arsenal have had a nightmare time with injuries over the past couple o seasons. Just highlights the lack of depth in their squad compared to the likes o Manu, Chelsea and even Liverpool and, dare I say it, man city!

Although I hate everything about manure, you gotta hand it to them for their scouting ability, they keep coming up with fantastic talent to carry them forward just when you think they might strugge, sadly :(

Tell me what is difficult about finding stars when you have almost unlimited funds -- they have scouts based permanently in Brazil for god's sake -- if you have the money to fund the system and the funds to pay for the players as well as their families then spotting the future stars is not as difficult as it may seem.

Backed by a healthy legal team who understand employment law in and out of Europe and you can get up to all sorts of 'signings' -- attracted by the name and of course let's not kid ourselves a healthy signing on fee at 16/17.

Walter Bishop
Hi kingston,

Wenger took over at Arsenal in September 1996. In that entire time, and according to Soccerbase, he's spent a grand total of ?33.6m net on transfer fees. Pretty good going, to say the least!

Thanks to Man city!!

Archived