V for Vendetta

Ivan Drago

The film is on bbc3 just now - anyone seen it/read the graphic novel?

I only saw the film for the first time recently, and I think I might have enjoyed it had it not read the book first - they absolutely butchered it. Some of the bits in the film were really cool and portrayed things better than they could ever be portrayed in a graphic novel, but i just don;t understand why they changed so much. Fair enough the odd bit here and there but i think this film was Hollywood at its worst.

I only saw the film for the first time recently, and I think I might have enjoyed it had it not read the book first - they absolutely butchered it. Some of the bits in the film were really cool and portrayed things better than they could ever be portrayed in a graphic novel, but i just don;t understand why they changed so much. Fair enough the odd bit here and there but i think this film was Hollywood at its worst.

Seen the movie before, I thought it was quite good. Cant comment on the book tho im not much of a reader:46:

Seen the movie before, I thought it was quite good. Cant comment on the book tho im not much of a reader:46:

It;s a graphic novel so it's go pictures in it :P

They revised the plot to make the film more of a parable about Bush and Blair's Governments.

Simple as that.

Thought it was a superb film.

Haven't read the book so can't comment on that aspect.

i don't do graphic novels as a rule to be honest so i had nothing to base the film on, and i loved it

Snake Plissken

Written by the genius that is Alan Moore.

I don't even like comics but Watchmen and V for Vendetta are fantastic.

rossthejambo
Saw it for the first time last night.

Top film.

same here. haven't read the book either but have to say it was a top class film.

Regal Kingston

Also watched it last night. I'd seen it before in a hungover state and it went over my noggin' but after watching it last night I have to say it's a top film.

Very stylish, thought provoking and with some terrific performances from the British actors and Natalie Portman.

At the end, am I right in thinking, that Stephen Fry was in the crowd when everybody took they're masks off? Was he not meant to be dead? Or was he a part of V's crew? or was it just my mind playing tricks?

Can anybody confirm?

The Future's Maroon

I saw the film when it first came out and as I aint a book reader I didnt even know it was based on one!!

Good film though from what I remember - wish I saw this thread last night and I would have watched the film!

rossthejambo
Also watched it last night. I'd seen it before in a hungover state and it went over my noggin' but after watching it last night I have to say it's a top film.

Very stylish, thought provoking and with some terrific performances from the British actors and Natalie Portman.

At the end, am I right in thinking, that Stephen Fry was in the crowd when everybody took they're masks off? Was he not meant to be dead? Or was he a part of V's crew? or was it just my mind playing tricks?

Can anybody confirm?

at the end all the people that were killed by the government and their cronies were in the crowd. think it was meant to symbolise what V stood for.

Regal Kingston
at the end all the people that were killed by the government and their cronies were in the crowd. think it was meant to symbolise what V stood for.

Cheers rossthejambo. Fry was the only one I noticed.

That's twice its went over my head then, Should really stick to Adam Sandler movies.

rudi must stay

all about opinions i suppose. I quite liked it though, expected it just to be an action film but it's got quite a clever story.

Commander Harris

missed it last night but after all these recommendations will have to check it out. is it due to be on again soon? If not I'll add it to the old LoveFilm list.

The film was ok, definately not the worst Alan Moore film conversion(From Hell was absolutely butchered), but the book is far superior. I strongly encourage anyone who liked the film to read the book.

marshallschunkychicken
Saw it for the first time last night.

Top film.

p.s. Did anyone else think Hugo Weaving's portrayal of V sounded scarily like Rowan Atkinson?

p.p.s. Natalie Portman. :2thumbsup:

p.s. Did anyone else think Hugo Weaving's portrayal of V sounded scarily like Rowan Atkinson?

p.p.s. Natalie Portman. :2thumbsup:

2270050871_9da0b71504_o.gif

They revised the plot to make the film more of a parable about Bush and Blair's Governments.

Simple as that.

Have you read it?! It's nowhere near that simple

Yes I've read it!

They changed the plot of the film to make it an easier parallel with Bush and Blair and the policies they were acting at the time.

I quite liked the film.

Weaving's voice is amazing and the V character is great.

I've not read the comic but it's easy to see why they changed the political stylings of the film. Maggie Thatchers reign was 20 years ago and doesn't relate to much of the movie going (and dvd buying) public. You still get a believable dictatorship and a good movie overall.

I may disagree were I to have read the comic though.

Yes I've read it!

They changed the plot of the film to make it an easier parallel with Bush and Blair and the policies they were acting at the time.

Yeah, but they changed a ridiculous amount of things to do with the plot as well. Major characters were cut out and they made major changes to the actual plot as well as changing the end. Thought the overall tone of the film missed the point of the book as well, everything seemed really bleak in the book but in the film i just didn't get that impression...

Private Hudson

On BBC 3 again at 9pm the night for anyone that missed it last time. Wonderful film, better graphic novel.

Archived