Tour de France - Bradley Wiggins moves up to third

Boaby Ewing

Boaby Ewing

While many are rightly gutted about the end of The Open today, here's some better sporting news that seems to have slipped under JKB's (and, disgracefully, the BBC's) radar.

after the hardest stage of Le Tour de France thus far, Bradley Wiggins has moved up to third place and looks set to challenge Lance armstrong (Lance feckin' armstrong!) for second place on the podium.

That's the same Bradley Wiggins who was winning gold for Britain on the track in Beijing less than a year ago. In a race that lasts 3,000 metres, rather than 3,000 miles.

It's perhaps difficult to explain to non-cycling geeks what a massive, almost unbelievable leap he has made -- one that few thought possible, and even less thought likely.

I'm absolutely made up for him. He's produced an unbelievable ride.

and before anyone starts spraffing ill-informed sheeeeeite about drugs, let me just say he's one of the few riders, in one of the few teams, I'd put money on riding this race clean.

allez Wiggo.

and while I don't think he's got a hope of catching Contador, I just love being able to post this. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-takes-another-step-towards-tour-win

shaun.lawson
While many are rightly gutted about the end of The Open today, here's some better sporting news that seems to have slipped under JKB's (and, disgracefully, the BBC's) radar.

after the hardest stage of Le Tour de France thus far, Bradley Wiggins has moved up to third place and looks set to challenge Lance armstrong (Lance feckin' armstrong!) for second place on the podium.

That's the same Bradley Wiggins who was winning gold for Britain on the track in Beijing less than a year ago. In a race that lasts 3,000 metres, rather than 3,000 miles.

It's perhaps difficult to explain to non-cycling geeks what a massive, almost unbelievable leap he has made -- one that few thought possible, and even less thought likely.

I'm absolutely made up for him. He's produced an unbelievable ride.

and before anyone starts spraffing ill-informed sheeeeeite about drugs, let me just say he's one of the few riders, in one of the few teams, I'd put money on riding this race clean.

allez Wiggo.

and while I don't think he's got a hope of catching Contador, I just love being able to post this. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-takes-another-step-towards-tour-win

Couldn't agree more DDLN. The step up he's made is normally all but impossible for track cyclists, and he deserves all the praise going. Say one thing though: you have to admit that it's impossible for someone called Bradley Wiggins to ever be a sporting superhero. It just wouldn't wash!

Adam Murray

Brilliant ride from Wiggins. He's lost 7 kilos in weight since his olympic heroics, which now makes him competitive in the mountains. How he'll cope in the out of category climbs remains to be seen, tomorrow up the Col du Grand-Saint-Bernard should give us a good indication. Then on thursday he should pick up time on all his main rivals in the 40km individual time trial, which then only leaves the small matter of Mont Ventoux on saturday, definately in with a shout of a podium place though.

Boaby Ewing
Also, Cavendish is an arsehole.

Calm yourself, fanboy.

I thought the way he put down Hushvod after his disqualification was quality.

So he's opinionated? Dear god, an amazingly talented British sportsman who speaks his mind. Bring back Tim Henman.

And if we're dismissing athletes for being arseholes, you might want to reappraise your view of the mighty Armstrong.

Thing is, Armstrong wouldn't be who he is, or as successful as he is, if he wasn't a bit of a barsteward. And neither would Cavendish.

FWIW I don?t think Armstrong will make it onto the top two steps of the podium. A stage win is a slim possibility, and maybe third overall ? but both are looking increasingly unlikely. But I do still think his comeback is impressive, if possibly misguided.

Boaby Ewing
If not this year, then maybe next as overall winner?

Possibly. We'll learn a lot over the next week, especially on Ventoux.

However, Contador does look like he'll be very hard to beat in the coming years, regardless of how Wiggins does. But never say never.

Calm yourself, fanboy.

I thought the way he put down Hushvod after his disqualification was quality.

I remember when sprinters were real men. Abdoujaparov wouldn't last the first week nowadays.

Boaby Ewing
I'll be surprised if he finishes it this year.

You've lost me there. Were you thinking of Cavendish?

If so, I'd say it's 60:40 in favour of him finishing. He's a determined wee barsteward, who made it his target to finish this year from the off.

And his (slightly) dodgy disqualification on Saturday should give him the extra incentive to rip Hushvod a new one on the Champs Elysees.

Boaby Ewing
I remember when sprinters were real men. Abdoujaparov wouldn't last the first week nowadays.

I'll use any excuse to post this.

You've lost me there. Were you thinking of Cavendish?

If so, I'd say it's 60:40 in favour of him finishing. He's a determined wee barsteward, who made it his target to finish this year from the off.

No I meant Wiggins. I'm surprised he is still in it actually, a lot of guys don't last their first tour. The good ones sometimes pull out before the worst of the mountains.

shaun.lawson

Jings - I remember that like it was yesterday! Terrifying stuff. I was a big fan of C4's Tour coverage back in the day: Lemond v Fignon, Riis deposing Indurain, Rominger almost doing that to the great man in 1993, Chris Boardman and Sean Yates both wearing yellow the following year, Pantani winning a glorious climb one year.

And my favourite ever Tour memory? Phil Liggett going mental at the figure emerging out of the gloom and catching Pedro Delgado. "It's Stephen Roche! It's Stephen Roche!" Mind you, like Riis and Pantani, didn't I read that Roche had taken drugs too? Awful if so: for one year, he was unstoppable.

I loved Abdou, he didn't give a rats ass about anything but winning.

back to the tour de france..I aint a cyclist..and to be fair I had a whole lot of love for Chris Hoy and well I wasn't rooting for Bradley the way I was him at Beijing....but I do know what he has done is an amazing step up so well done him :2thumbsup:

I think the most heartbreaking crash was when the lad who had done a hugely heroic breakaway on his own up one of the most inhumane climbs was knocked off his bike at not far off walking pace by a fan. Resulting in losing a stage that was his to win.

Boaby Ewing
No I meant Wiggins. I'm surprised he is still in it actually, a lot of guys don't last their first tour. The good ones sometimes pull out before the worst of the mountains.

Ah, apologies.

He's ridden it a couple of times before - can't remember if he finished the first time in 2006. His team was pulled out in 2007 after Cristian Moreni failed a drugs test.

He completed the Giro d'Italia this year and I think (ie can't be arsed checking) that he's completed the Giro or the Vuelta at least one other time as well.

Don't think anyone really doubts he's got the stamina to complete the course - it's whether he can still pull off the kind of performances he's put in in the mountains thus far in this Tour in its final week.

Boaby Ewing
I think the most heartbreaking crash was when the lad who had done a hugely heroic breakaway on his own up one of the most inhumane climbs was knocked off his bike at not far off walking pace by a fan. Resulting in losing a stage that was his to win.

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xoz4OflxQ&feature=PlayList&p=4F6F403335E64F16&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

He still won the stage.

The Vulture

Dave, have you read anything about Fausto Coppi ? Started reading the Fallen Angel about him. Well worth a read. A rider who not even the peleton could keep up with.

A quote about him was:

When Fausto won and you wanted to check the time gap to the man in second place, you didn't need a Swiss stopwatch. The bell of the church clock tower would do the job just as well. Paris-Roubaix? Milan-San Remo? Lombardy? We're talking 10 minutes to a quarter of an hour. That's how Fausto Coppi was

Mind you, like Riis and Pantani, didn't I read that Roche had taken drugs too? Awful if so: for one year, he was unstoppable.

EPO - though he vehemently denies it.

Boaby Ewing
Dave, have you read anything about Fausto Coppi ? Started reading the Fallen Angel about him. Well worth a read. A rider who not even the peleton could keep up with.

A quote about him was:

When Fausto won and you wanted to check the time gap to the man in second place, you didn't need a Swiss stopwatch. The bell of the church clock tower would do the job just as well. Paris-Roubaix? Milan-San Remo? Lombardy? We're talking 10 minutes to a quarter of an hour. That's how Fausto Coppi was

Just a few magazine pieces in Cycle Sport, Pro Cycling and the like about his battles with Gino Bartali and the way they both divided and united Italy post-war.

I'll check it out.

shaun.lawson
EPO - though he vehemently denies it.

If it's true (and I very much hope not), that makes two of Ireland's greatest sporting heroes of the last two and a bit decades who cheated. Which is awful.

If it's true (and I very much hope not), that makes two of Ireland's greatest sporting heroes of the last two and a bit decades who cheated. Which is awful.

Who's the other one?

And why is it awful?

Who's the other one?

And why is it awful?

The female swimmer with the dodgy husband. Can't remember her name.

However I would have Brian O'Driscoll as one of Irelands great sporting heroes of the last decade outside football and in non GFA sports.

shaun.lawson
Who's the other one?

And why is it awful?

Michelle Smith, as Taz said. It's awful, because both were heroes in achieving what they did. Roche won arguably the toughest sporting challenge on earth; Smith stunned the world in Atlanta, and had Bill Clinton commiserating with her on all the mutterings surrounding her. Mind you, with friends like that... :laugh:

shaun.lawson
The female swimmer with the dodgy husband. Can't remember her name.

However I would have Brian O'Driscoll as one of Irelands great sporting heroes of the last decade outside football and in non GFA sports.

Agreed.

Michelle Smith, as Taz said. It's awful, because both were heroes in achieving what they did. Roche won arguably the toughest sporting challenge on earth; Smith stunned the world in Atlanta, and had Bill Clinton commiserating with her on all the mutterings surrounding her. Mind you, with friends like that... :laugh:

I don't think Michelle Smith De Bruin has too many admirers around here, and most of the population were sceptical at the time she was winning her medals.

The missing name from your list is, of course, Se?n Kelly. He's been accused of dabbling, and in fact failed a couple of minor tests, and has never commented.

shaun.lawson
I don't think Michelle Smith De Bruin has too many admirers around here, and most of the population were sceptical at the time she was winning her medals.

The missing name from your list is, of course, Se?n Kelly. He's been accused of dabbling, and in fact failed a couple of minor tests, and has never commented.

Fair enough. You have to remember though that on our coverage, she was treated like an honorary Brit for a fortnight, and used as ammunition against our shockingly low medal haul (Michelle Smith: three gold medals; the entire British team, one gold medal).

Sad to hear Kelly's been mentioned too. At what point do we start to make allowances for cyclists of the time because it seems to have been so embedded in the culture of the sport - or indeed, should we at all?

Fair enough. You have to remember though that on our coverage, she was treated like an honorary Brit for a fortnight, and used as ammunition against our shockingly low medal haul (Michelle Smith: three gold medals; the entire British team, one gold medal).

Sad to hear Kelly's been mentioned too. At what point do we start to make allowances for cyclists of the time because it seems to have been so embedded in the culture of the sport - or indeed, should we at all?

I sat in a boozer in the middle of Leitrim on the night Ms. Smith De Bruin won her third gold. Throughout the race, all you could hear were smart comments about the benefits of performance-enhancing drugs. As she won, this guy let out a roar of "C'mon the pharmaceutical industry!", and the whole pub laughed and cheered.

This was, of course, reprehensible conduct on the part of the customers. She was never stripped of her medals, and I'm sure her conduct was at all times entirely sporting and within the rules. I'm also most impressed by her versatility, and in particular salute her achievement in studying as a mature student and qualifying as a barrister.

Kelly tested positive for minor performance-enhancing substances twice. One was codeine, the other was an amphetamine-based stimulant medicine. Oddly enough, an associate of Kelly says that he never took the stimulant, but submitted someone else's urine for a test because he had used ephedrine - only to find that the other person had taken the stimulant. The same associate wrote that Kelly regularly used drugs in his career, and Kelly has never commented on the claim.

Rick Grimes
Jings - I remember that like it was yesterday! Terrifying stuff. I was a big fan of C4's Tour coverage back in the day: Lemond v Fignon, Riis deposing Indurain, Rominger almost doing that to the great man in 1993, Chris Boardman and Sean Yates both wearing yellow the following year, Pantani winning a glorious climb one year.

And my favourite ever Tour memory? Phil Liggett going mental at the figure emerging out of the gloom and catching Pedro Delgado. "It's Stephen Roche! It's Stephen Roche!" Mind you, like Riis and Pantani, didn't I read that Roche had taken drugs too? Awful if so: for one year, he was unstoppable.

far & away my best cycling memory too. what an unbelievable feat that day & was surely a massive psychological blow to Delgado.

Jings

I loved that word Shaun. I would kill to hear you say it out loud in a Witney accent. :jiggy:

The Vulture
far & away my best cycling memory too. what an unbelievable feat that day & was surely a massive psychological blow to Delgado.

Never liked Delgado for the part he played in robbing Robert Millar out of winning the Tour of Spain. Was so happy when Roche beat him. My other memory of watching the Tour when young were the Columbian climbers who were right hardy battlers.

With regards to the drugs allegations and Roche, well there has always been a strong drug culture in cycling, that doesn't make it right but it ain't going to go away overnight. You just have to look at how Tom Simpson passed away to show how rife drugs have been in cycling over the years. What annoys me is when journalists with no interest in cycling go on about the drugs problem and then make it sound as if it is the drugs that makes them successful and not the talent or commitment the cyclists put in. They make it sound as if anyone could just jump on a bike and whizz up Alp Duez just like that. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

shaun.lawson
I loved that word Shaun. I would kill to hear you say it out loud in a Witney accent. :jiggy:

Haha! "What ho old thing - be advised that I intend to fetch you a sturdy blow. Jings - more tea vicar?"

:stuart:

The Vulture

Good effort by Wiggins today, despite dropping out the top 3 he is still in the top 10. Tour looks as if it is now Contador's too loose.

Archived