What has Edinburgh given the world?

Guest Alex Guttenplan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your having a laugh surely?

Anyway, how about Heart of Midlothian?

Born and schooled in Edinburgh.

That was one of his biggest tricks, making the english think he was also. One of his diversionary tactics is to support Newcastle United in order to support that way of thinking and likewise trying to avoid any link with Scotland.

I love how the press and public down south like to kick Gordon Brown for being Scottish yet his predecesor was also but they didn't realise it.

Say What Again
One of his diversionary tactics is to support Newcastle United in order to support that way of thinking

Didn't he slip up when he said he remembered standing on the terraces watching Jackie Milburn?

It turned out he'd only have been about 3 years old when Milburn played his last ever game for Newcastle.

The game of golf was first played on Leith Links. The ooldest golf club in the world is Royal Burgess in Barnton.

The penalty kick was a result of a game involving Hearts and East Stirling, though some say Third Lanark and Hearts

The penalty kick was invented in Milford, County Armagh by William McCrum in 1890 and was adopted in Scotland due to an incident in a Hearts match.

There is a bust of the aforementioned in Linen Green, Milford, where the idea is supposed to have been conceived. I have seen it.

Golf was played over Musselburgh Links - the oldest playing course in the world - from 1672 ; however a Royal Charter exists from 1552 granting residents of St.Andrews rights to play golf over their links.

Going back further, golf was banned in Scotland via an act of parliamnet in 1457 therefore there's a fair shout to claim Scotland gave the world golf, but not Edinburgh !?

Well actually, have a look at this link http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/bruntsfield_links_oldest_golf_clubhouse.htm, i can provide several others as well that seem to indicate golf was being played in Edinburgh first.

From what i can remember (this was a long and complicated bet with a welshman on this very point), the earliest games of golf seemed to be centred around the Burgess and Bruntsfield. St Andrews was not the first club, it was not the first course and it didn't invent the first set of rules either ! I can only assume that someone at some point was a bloody good marketer for them!!!!

Well actually, have a look at this link http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/bruntsfield_links_oldest_golf_clubhouse.htm, i can provide several others as well that seem to indicate golf was being played in Edinburgh first.

From what i can remember (this was a long and complicated bet with a welshman on this very point), the earliest games of golf seemed to be centred around the Burgess and Bruntsfield. St Andrews was not the first club, it was not the first course and it didn't invent the first set of rules either ! I can only assume that someone at some point was a bloody good marketer for them!!!!

So the evidence for Edinburgh giving the world golf, is James IV bought some clubs in Perth, and allegedly hacked about in some unknown and unrecorded destinationin, in Edinburgh ?

Archived