What credit crunch/Man United signings (NHC) (merged threads)

speedbump

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article6426463.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=2878846

From The Times

June 4, 2009

Manchester United sign record-breaking ?80m shirt deal

James Ducker

Manchester United have defied the credit crunch to secure the biggest shirt sponsorship deal in football history.

The Barclays Premier League champions yesterday announced a four-year contract worth ?80million with Aon Corporation, the American financial giant, which will replace AIG as the club's shirt sponsors from the start of the 2010-11 season.

The deal comfortably eclipses the ?68million four-year agreement that Bayern Munich have with T-Home, the telecommunications firm, and dwarfs United's existing ?56.5million contract with AIG, the discredited American insurance company.

Although politicians in America have put pressure on AIG to pull the plug on its four-year agreement with United after being granted an $85 billion (now about ?52 billion) rescue package by the US Federal Reserve last September, the firm will remain as the club's shirt sponsors until its deal finishes at the end of next season.

United have been scouring the globe in search of a new principal sponsor since AIG announced in January that it would not be renewing the ?14million-a-year deal and are understood to have held negotiations with a small number of firms, including Sahara, the Indian financial services corporation, and Saudi Telecom.

Aon, which is the world's leading risk adviser and human capital consultant, emerged as the most suitable partner, however, and talks are thought to have been concluded within three weeks.

Given the adverse publicity generated by the collapse of AIG, United are eager to draw a line under that saga and start afresh, although Aon has been embroiled in a controversy of its own in recent months involving employee pensions. The insurance broker cut pension contributions to most of its 5,400 United Kingdom workforce in April in a move widely seen as heralding a clampdown on retirement schemes.

Aon said the cuts were necessary to reduce costs to remain profitable, but with that in mind, it remains to be seen how its employees react to news that the company is about to pay a record amount to sponsor a football club's shirts.

Aon has defended the decision to invest in United, saying: ?The economic downturn has affected virtually all businesses, but we felt that we had to continue to be forward thinking in our attitude. An opportunity such as this to build a world-recognised brand rarely presents itself and it seemed that we should grab it now and reap the rewards in the years to come.

?In general, our sector has been less affected than those of the other global financial services providers and so we were fortunate to be in a position where we could seriously consider an opportunity of this scale.?

Greg Case, the president and chief executive of Aon, added: ?It is a unique opportunity when two leaders in their respective fields can come together in a partnership such as this. We play to win in our business and that is why we believe this partnership will create tremendous benefits for both organisations worldwide.?

The deal is a far cry from the first shirt sponsorship agreement United struck, with Sharp, the Japanese electronics firm, in 1982. Its initial five-year partnership was worth ?500,000.

Sharp remained United's shirt sponsors until 2000, when United struck a four-year deal worth ?30million with Vodafone, the mobile phone group. It was renewed in December 2003 to the tune of ?36million over four years only for Vodafone to trigger a break clause to end the partnership in 2006 with two years left on the contract to concentrate on its sponsorship of the Champions League.

David Gill, the United chief executive, said: ?We are delighted to be entering such an important relationship with a company of the stature of Aon and to have its logo adorn our shirts from the start of the 2010-11 season.

?We look forward to being closely aligned with the world leader in risk management, a firm which shares our values and is an exciting partner for Manchester United. This announcement clearly strengthens our position as one of the biggest clubs in world football.?

Company profile

Aon Corporation is one of the world's largest insurance brokers. Based in Chicago, it employs 37,000 staff worldwide and operates from 500 offices in 120 countries.

It generated revenues last year of $7.6 billion (now about ?4.6billion). It also acts as a consultant on pension, employment and risk management issues for companies. Its shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

In the UK, it trades as Aon UK Ltd and is Britain's biggest insurance broker. It employs more than 5,400 staff and Peter Harmer has been chief executive since January 2007.

Having acquired several British insurance brokers, the Aon brand was first established in the UK in 1996. Last year, it acquired Benfield, the Lloyd's of London broker, for ?738 million.

Aon's UK arm has twice attracted controversy this year. In January, it was fined ?5.25million after it was found to have made 66 suspicious payments between early 2005 and late 2007 in countries including Bahrain, Bulgaria, Burma and Vietnam in an effort to win overseas business. It was the sixth-largest fine levied by the Financial Services Authority, the City watchdog. In April, Aon became one of the first UK companies to cut contributions to its staff pension fund. It halved them to a maximum of 6 per cent of an employee's salary.

Words by Miles Costello

Screwing the UK pensioners to fund these people ..... marvellous!

not in the same class as Barca on or off the pitch

Utd selling themselves to the devil again, we shouldn't be surprised

Rust Cohle
Manchester United set to sign them both

We'll Never die!

Source?

If true would be a brilliant coup which would bring a real freshness and replace the departing Ronaldo and Tevez.

Charlie-Brown

You would think a club of Man Utd's wealth would be able to afford to PAY a yearly dontion to advertise some worthwhile cause or charity on their strips like Barcelona do with Unicef ?

You would think a club of Man Utd's wealth would be able to afford to PAY a yearly dontion to advertise some worthwhile cause or charity on their strips like Barcelona do with Unicef ?

Utd need the sponsorship money to repay the debt the club has been burdened with since the Glazers took over the club with an 'i owe you'

thats one thing that sets Barca apart from the rest, their 1st sponsor and its for a charity, class.

The Old Tolbooth
Utd need the sponsorship money to repay the debt the club has been burdened with since the Glazers took over the club with an 'i owe you'

thats one thing that sets Barca apart from the rest, their 1st sponsor and its for a charity, class.

It's only closing in on ?1 Billion, lets hope it deepens further :10900:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Pretty sure Man Utd are quite heavily involved with helping UNICEF.

Pretty sure Man Utd are quite heavily involved with helping UNICEF.

Yep, see link on post 7 !

An admirable cause - why don't they put that on their strips instead? That kind of exposure could help them raise a lot more money for those good causes.

Do you hate Man Utd more than you hate Hibs, Charlie?!

Charlie-Brown
Do you hate Man Utd more than you hate Hibs, Charlie?!

I don't hate Man Utd AP - i used to have an admiral strip of theirs when I was a kid when Joe Jordan & Gordon McQueen played for them - but I hate what they've become and what they represent - I'm not much of a fan of Chelsea or Man City or Real Madrid these days either.

The Old Tolbooth

We'll Never die!

Not a kick in the nads off ?1 Billion in debt, keep them coming :laugh:

3 league titles in a row as well.

Win much this year?

Silverymoon92
Source?

Well it was my mate who is a season ticket holder at OT that told me hes usually quite reliable

Now that is a proper debt, cant see how they can trade their way out of that one.

We'll Never die!

I'm glad to hear that due to Manchester United's signature of these two players that HMFC will never die, although am interested to hear the connection between the events.

Couldnt really give a flyin f### about Man Utd to be honest,this is due to being solely a Hearts supporter and not someone who needs a bit of glory every year.

Bandwagon this way >>>>>> :rifle:

Couldnt really give a flyin f### about Man Utd to be honest,this is due to being solely a Hearts supporter and not someone who needs a bit of glory every year.

So you're not that bothered about football in general? You're just a better "fan."

Well done.

Ribery & Benzema? Would they not be better trying to bolster the team by adding a world class playmaker to the centre midfield that was so badly exposed in the CL final?

Clerry Jambo

We'll Never die!

Who cares.......yir no gettin Torres...............FACT:10900:

kingantti1874

It's not really proper debt, man u were effectively debt free when the blazers bought the club, in order to purchase them they borrowed it against the club! When they sell the club they pay it back. Simpels

I like what I have seen of Benzema. United would do well to add his pace to the attacking options.

Ribery is not someone who has impressed me all that much in the limited times I've seen him. Certainly not on Ronaldo's level.

United should be thinking of replacing Rio Ferdinand. Yet again in the big game he sold the jerseys by not marking the striker, this time Messi.

Silverymoon92
I'm glad to hear that due to Manchester United's signature of these two players that HMFC will never die, although am interested to hear the connection between the events.

It's a Manchester United song:qqb017:

The Old Tolbooth
3 league titles in a row as well.

Win much this year?

Liverpool will still be around in 10 years time :2thumbsup:

Silverymoon92

And will still win nothing...

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Oh brilliant. Another my favourite top 4 EPL side is better than your favourite top 4 EPL side thread. Must be what, 3 days since the last one. Cant we have a sticky for this so people can out-smug each other elsewhere.

Your posts are beginning to bear a striking resemblence to the fandans fi Leith with their Hobonomics.

That's what happens I suppose when you live in someone's shadow.

Chin up!

Ribery & Benzema? Would they not be better trying to bolster the team by adding a world class playmaker to the centre midfield that was so badly exposed in the CL final?

Thats the nail on the head as far as im concerned too. Man U dont have a Gerrard/Lampard type (Carrick is as close as they have but he isnt on their level) who can get stuck in but also build attacks from the centre. Since it looks like Anderson isnt ever going to be that player, Fletcher isnt, Hargreaves is goosed and Scholes should retire, they need someone who can dictate the play from the middle like Giggs done in a few games last year.

Cant see the fuss about Ribery but Benzema does look world class in the games ive seen him play in.

but they would have to get the ball back of barca for it to work

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Supporting English teams when you are from Scotland or N.Ireland is dickish in my opinion.

I like Newcastle, I support Hearts.

Oh, and the people who are not too sure about Ribery, are obviously those that don't watch German football. He's a helluva player.

Supporting English teams when you are from Scotland or N.Ireland is dickish in my opinion.

I like Newcastle, I support Hearts.

Oh, and the people who are not too sure about Ribery, are obviously those that don't watch German football. He's a helluva player.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first and third parts of this post

Where have I seen these kinds of claims before?

I assume you're the hearse chasing version of Sergay then?

What about supporting a team from Scotland, when you're from another country?

The Old Tolbooth

Ouch, that hurt!

I'm the first to admit Liverpool have been gash for nearly 20 years now, but any Liverpool fan who wasn't encouraged by last seasons efforts must be mad, they seem to be getting closer and closer to the top (although I think Chelsea will win it next season) and it's the first time for years as a Liverpool fan that I can honestly say I'm looking forward to next season, I normally dread it!

I would hate to be in manures shoes with those trumpets in charge though, because surely you get the feeling that something has to give sometime no?

So you're not that bothered about football in general? You're just a better "fan."

Well done.

You said it...not me!:smiley2:

BigPapaHeader

So by being interested in other footballing affairs it means I need "a bit of glory every year"?

As a fan of FOOTBALL and supporter of HMFC, I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that I am unlikely to view world class football every week by exclusively watching Hearts. I enjoy to watch and follow other leagues around the world so that I can see the beautiful game at its best and watch Champion's League games so that I can admire the competition that Hearts are soon to come up against :pinch:

I feel you are trying to say that you are a better supporter of Hearts because you "Couldnt really give a flyin f### about" anyone else. So I will get off the "bandwagon" when you decide to get off the extremely tall horse that is at the front of it.

So by being interested in other footballing affairs it means I need "a bit of glory every year"?

As a fan of FOOTBALL and supporter of HMFC, I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that I am unlikely to view world class football every week by exclusively watching Hearts. I enjoy to watch and follow other leagues around the world so that I can see the beautiful game at its best and watch Champion's League games so that I can admire the competition that Hearts are soon to come up against :pinch:

I feel you are trying to say that you are a better supporter of Hearts because you "Couldnt really give a flyin f### about" anyone else. So I will get off the "bandwagon" when you decide to get off the extremely tall horse that is at the front of it.

Can you underline my total disinterest of all things football in my post. If its not there I will duly accept your apology.:smiley2:

Also correct me if im wrong I dont see a "better fan than you" part in my post either.

So now you can toddle along and look for another victim to prey on,if they dare disagree with you:2thumbsup:

p.s. For Sale 1 high horse!

Sorry for being right again and you being wrong...BUT....I believe I said I couldnt give a flyin f### abou Man Utd,and not anyone else as you stated:smiley2:

You get there eventually if you stick in at school,but if you dont..youll make all the same mistakes youve done in you previous posts:10900:

Ouch, that hurt!

I'm the first to admit Liverpool have been gash for nearly 20 years now, but any Liverpool fan who wasn't encouraged by last seasons efforts must be mad, they seem to be getting closer and closer to the top (although I think Chelsea will win it next season) and it's the first time for years as a Liverpool fan that I can honestly say I'm looking forward to next season, I normally dread it!

I would hate to be in manures shoes with those trumpets in charge though, because surely you get the feeling that something has to give sometime no?

No.

76,000 all seater stadium, sold out for almost every match we play there. Take away 4,000 for away fans, that's 72,000.

Say 60,000 are season ticket holders, at ?25 a pop, United are making ?300,000 per home game on gates alone. Not including programme sales, sales at the superstore, food/drink purchased in the ground. It was reported United were making, on average, ?1,000,000 per home game. So that's ?19m a season for Premiership games, not including FA Cup, Champions League, Carling Cup games played at home. Overall, I'd estimate that United will make roughly ?30m a year on gate receipts and sales in and around the ground.

Season tickets range anywhere from ?400-?900 for Old Trafford. If we choose middle ground, and say the average season ticket price is ?650, times that by 60,000. There's ?39,000,000 made on season ticket sales per season.

Then there's the TV money, sponsorship money, prize money, Champions League revenue. United reportedly made ?70m from winning the Champions League and Premiership in 2008. Then we won the Premiership again. That'll be worth another ?20m or so.

So, when you look at it, I'm not worried at all.

but they would have to get the ball back of barca for it to work

Could easily counter argue that if they had a world class playmaker in the centre of midfield they wouldn't give the ball away to Barca in the first place!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

What about supporting a team from Scotland, when you're from another country?

Well thats just daft. Support your local team.

Not being funny but how can you plastic fans gets so passionate about it?

Fair enough liking another team but to kid on you support them is a bit odd. How many Man Utd/Liverpool games have you been to in the past 2 years, seriously?

Would you cry if they got relegated? Would you cry if they win the league? Do you seriously celebrate when they win something?

Archived