Flumpsnet special

carnockjambo

On another arewefalirmiesters or not thread on flumps net i spotted this gem.

The difference is largely one of self-identity and aspiration, as Aiden Smith illustrated in his book Heartfelt. There is a huge difference between the type of football that both Edinburgh sets of fans naturally identify with.

There is no doubt that Hibs fans aspire to see their teams playing a certain brand of football, and in post-war its lineage it can be traced back to the Famous Five, through the exploits of the high-scoring Joe Baker era (with gash defence) to Turnbull's Tornadoes, to the sides of McLeish and Mowbray (and hopefully Mixu).

Of course we've had to put up with rubbish on the way (early and late Miller, Williamson) but there's no doubt as to what our supporters want and aspire to.

Hearts fans have no such aspirations. They'll put up with any mind-numbing, soul-destroying agricultural crap provided it delivers the odd UEFA Cup slot or 'buggins turn' Cup win (usually procured at the expense of ruining the club).

I want to see my club win trophies as much as the next fan. I couldn't sit and watch hoofball and percentage football though, I'm too much of an aesthete and fan of the beautiful game for that. In my footballing life I've watched Hibs win two domestic cups playing great football, while Hearts have also won two, the first almost losing them Tynecastle, the second and extra-time penalty shoot-out against Gretna.

I know what I prefer.

The Author was one Dashing Bob.

I think this shows the ethos of the flairmiesters thinking to a tee. Forget the poor,garbage, rank football that has been played in between The F5,Turnbulls team and Mowbary/Mcleish. Roughly out of the last 50 years Hibs have had 10years of good football so that automatically equates to this presumption of playing football the right way.

On another arewefalirmiesters or not thread on flumps net i spotted this gem.

The difference is largely one of self-identity and aspiration, as Aiden Smith illustrated in his book Heartfelt. There is a huge difference between the type of football that both Edinburgh sets of fans naturally identify with.

There is no doubt that Hibs fans aspire to see their teams playing a certain brand of football, and in post-war its lineage it can be traced back to the Famous Five, through the exploits of the high-scoring Joe Baker era (with gash defence) to Turnbull's Tornadoes, to the sides of McLeish and Mowbray (and hopefully Mixu).

Of course we've had to put up with rubbish on the way (early and late Miller, Williamson) but there's no doubt as to what our supporters want and aspire to.

Hearts fans have no such aspirations. They'll put up with any mind-numbing, soul-destroying agricultural crap provided it delivers the odd UEFA Cup slot or 'buggins turn' Cup win (usually procured at the expense of ruining the club).

I want to see my club win trophies as much as the next fan. I couldn't sit and watch hoofball and percentage football though, I'm too much of an aesthete and fan of the beautiful game for that. In my footballing life I've watched Hibs win two domestic cups playing great football, while Hearts have also won two, the first almost losing them Tynecastle, the second and extra-time penalty shoot-out against Gretna.

I know what I prefer.

The Author was one Dashing Bob.

I think this shows the ethos of the flairmiesters thinking to a tee. Forget the poor,garbage, rank football that has been played in between The F5,Turnbulls team and Mowbary/Mcleish. Roughly out of the last 50 years Hibs have had 10years of good football so that automatically equates to this presumption of playing football the right way.

Generous.

If Hibs were to say get to the cup final this season and beat for arguments sake Queen of the south in the final after a penalty shoot out. To a man not one of them would stand up and say to the SFA. Mr Smith we do not deserve this trophy as we did not win it playing the free flowing attractive football that we are famous(not outside Albion Road) for. Therefore could you please give it to Queen of the south instead.

They would like us be partying as if there was no tomorrow.

John

Brick Tamland

I know what I prefer.

I know what I prefer too, 2 Scottish Cup victories - 1 shared with my aging father and the second shared with my young son - both highly emotional affairs that will remain with all 3 of us forever. He didn't say anything about us humping the green brazil by ripping them apart in a semi final with slick passing and movement or was that by playing typical pub team hoofball and the only difference was the goalies?

The daft laddie that wrote that must have fell out the daft tree and hit every branch on the way down.

If Hibs were to say get to the cup final this season and beat for arguments sake Queen of the south in the final after a penalty shoot out. To a man not one of them would stand up and say to the SFA. Mr Smith we do not deserve this trophy as we did not win it playing the free flowing attractive football that we are famous(not outside Albion Road) for. Therefore could you please give it to Queen of the south instead.

They would like us be partying as if there was no tomorrow.

John

Too right!!!!

Anyone who says otherwise is talking oot there arse!

Victor Meldrew

The 'flair' thing is merely a way of drawing a veil over their profound inadequecy as a football club, and peraps more importantly the fact that on any objective standard we can show that we beat the hands down.

Derby wins? we are SO far out of sight that they would have to win every derby for a decade to come close.

Trophies? yup, again we are well ahead

League positions? they manage to finish above us about once or twice each decade

Average attendances? these serve to demonstrate who Edinburgh's big team are.

So what do they do? They invent a myth that they play some sort of mystical 'flair' football that is somehow inherently 'better' than anything we have played.

It's quite cunning really. There is no objective way judging flair. Whilst one season they might say it's down to goals scored, that isn't the case when we score more than them. No, it's just "playing the game the way it ought to be played" whatever that might be. Further, when we demonstrate with facts that they are mince, they merely allege that we just don't understand flair.

The thing is I've seen Hibs play quite a few times, and they have been, by and large, not very good. I don't mean in terms of results, but in terms of their style of play. Apart from periods when Mowbray was in charge (which were exagerated in my view) they have been a pretty talentless mob.

But let's leave them to their delusions. If they're happy to be losers, then that's fine.

Archived