We're in Europe (almost) (merged threads)

Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit

Aberdeen have to win last 2 games to go past us and can't see that happening!

Spot on, Peanut. A great result.

p.s. Aberdeen were advertised as "FREE MONEY" at the bookies all day today; the FM Curse strikes again! :D

Midloth_Iain

Radio pundits slating us.

Aberdeen bench complaining.

We all know what the written media think.

***** them all.

The hard work has been done over the last 3 months. Our 5 point advantage was always going to be a good enough cushion for 4th place at least.

Europe is at our fingertips. :2thumbsup:

Aberdeen are 8/1 to win on Saturday. Even if they're around even money to beat Hibs that would be a 17/1 shot.

Gerd Muller

Just wait to hear Calderwood's interview. I bet he rips us. Why does he have a problem with us?

i think i need urgent medical attention or a good bucket of drink.

and some new pants.

mammoth effort from the chaps tonight by the sounds of things. a massive relief to get the job done barring a stupid result between rangers and aberdeen next week.

right, now for that bucket...

Buffalo Bill

Aberdeen brought a banner to Tynecastle two years ago that read:

'No Overtaking'

Right back atcha.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

As Aberdeen play at 12.30 saturday we will know by kick off if we've made it or still have some work to do. :)

As Aberdeen play at 12.30 saturday we will know by kick off if we've made it or still have some work to do. :)

assuming the huns beat the sheep we could let United win to stop the sheep but we better not or I will be mightily peed off c'mon jts 4 games wi no goals surely we deserve an end of season shindig or even a last minute 1 0 (thats probably a shindig too!!)

The Gasman
Aberdeen are 8/1 to win on Saturday. Even if they're around even money to beat Hibs that would be a 17/1 shot.

Even then, that assumes that Hearts lose both remaining games, so the actual odds will be longer than you quote.

"Making europe" is no longer a priority - we should be pushing for third, not settling for the fact we'll manage 4th.

Even then, that assumes that Hearts lose both remaining games, so the actual odds will be longer than you quote.

I was assessing the chances that we had enough points already rather than the chance that we'd have enough points by the end.

"Making europe" is no longer a priority - we should be pushing for third, not settling for the fact we'll manage 4th.

Correct but missing the point. It's no longer a priority because it's now effectively been ticked off on the "to do list"

Correct but missing the point. It's no longer a priority because it's now effectively been ticked off on the "to do list"

At the risk of sounding arrogant - 4th shouldnt ever have even been a consideration.

3rd is the only goal we should have been pushing for...... as i've said - its been in our own hands for long enough.

Personally, if we go in to the united game half hearted and not bothering our backsides cos we think we've gotten it sown up, much the same way we expected to trounce the hibs reserve side..... I'll be fuming.

Gorgiewave
Aberdeen brought a banner to Tynecastle two years ago that read:

'No Overtaking'

Right back atcha.

Buffalo Bill

One of their fans registered as Jim Bowen only to put up a map of Europe and the comment: "This is what you could have won!"

Right back atcha.

At the risk of sounding arrogant - 4th shouldnt ever have even been a consideration.

After the mess of last season restoring some kind of respectability was the first priority. This may yet fail to be a season to be proud of but it's definitely not going to be one to be ashamed of.

If this season was a golf hole then we'd now be putting for a birdie but look certain to at least make par.

3rd is the only goal we should have been pushing for...... as i've said - its been in our own hands for long enough.

Personally, if we go in to the united game half hearted and not bothering our backsides cos we think we've gotten it sown up, much the same way we expected to trounce the hibs reserve side..... I'll be fuming.

We're talking about a different situation from the Hibs game. Just as you can fail to take a game seriously enough you can also take it too seriously.

The pressure and weight of expectations on Hearts last week was huge and they choked.

On Saturday nobody will be under any illusions that Dundee United will be easy opponents but, assuming Aberdeen haven't won, the pressure will be lessened because we'll have at least secured European football.

Even if they lose the last home game on Saturday they have done enough this season to walk off to applause for their efforts. Obviously the applause will be louder if we don't lose but the worst case scenario isn't that bad.

Hearts can hopefully go out there driven by desire as opposed to by fear.

maroonlegions

To be fair we should never have been in this situation, we should have had 3rd wrapped up.The Falkirk game and the Hobo game spring to mind.

This may yet fail to be a season to be proud of but it's definitely not going to be one to be ashamed of.

If this season was a golf hole then we'd now be putting for a birdie but look certain to at least make par.

With regards to your first point - i guess that depends on your baseline for comparision. Against last season, yes, nothing to be ashamed of. Against the position we were in mid season - i'd be ashamed / gutted / furious if we throw away 3rd now.

To alter your golf comparision, its a bit like being 5 up with 6 to play, losing 5 of the 6, halving the 6th and taking it to extra holes.

To be fair we should never have been in this situation, we should have had 3rd wrapped up.The Falkirk game and the Hobo game spring to mind.

This is my thought exactly. 4th should have been cemented long ago and 3rd should also have been confirmed by now. We've made a meal of it..... but its ok, cos even if we miss 3rd, we'll still get 4th.....

Archived