The Contrasting Sides Of Our Team

DB-14

Upon looking at some of threads on this forum in the past few days, you would think we were scrapping for relegation.

We have known we have been desperate for a striker since August and have got absolutely nothing so the sudden outcry after the match against the HIVS was pretty surprising. We have battled our way through this season and are still in 3rd place with a virtually unchanged side to the one which finished 8th last season. Csaba has installed some belief in our side and while I accept that performance on Thursday night was imo the worst of the season and completely gutless I am still relatively happy at how he has developed our side over this season.

The match on Thursday night brought about deserved criticism but to be honest it was borderline on ridiculous the amount of threads saying such and such GTF. Michael Stewart was absolutely horrendous on Thursday, but look at the games before that he has played well. He was good at Ibrox and he played well against Celtic at Tynecastle and yet some peoples memories appear to be extremely short.

Our last match against Celtic in April showed the positives of our side this season. A hard-working confident side who played extremely well and were unlucky not to win but Thursday was the contrast to that and we were dreadful, yes accepted but we must accept this is Csaba's first season and lets support our side to the finish of the season and hopefully we'll finish 3rd.

Mon th' JTs.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

There is a definite improvement from last year, no question.

But you have to expect such response after a fairly insipid defeat at home by a p*sh poor but motivated HIVS team.

There is a definite improvement from last year, no question.

But you have to expect such response after a fairly insipid defeat at home by a p*sh poor but motivated HIVS team.

I respect that we were **** awful. Agreed.

However, I feel the response from some members of our fanbase were grossly over exaggerated.

Charlie-Brown

A win on Thursday would all but have guaranteed Europe and possibly even 3rd place but instead it was as an insipid performance as any last season except perhaps the 4-0 defeat by Rangers , it was also the worst Tynecastle derby performance for a very long time ...... fans can accept the team losing even losing derbies if the team at least turns up but Thursday was truly ghastly and the players deserve all the criticism for such a gutless performance in what was a vital game for a number of reasons.

A win on Thursday would all but have guaranteed Europe and possibly even 3rd place but instead it was as an insipid performance as any last season except perhaps the 4-0 defeat by Rangers , it was also the worst Tynecastle derby performance for a very long time ...... fans can accept the team losing even losing derbies if the team at least turns up but Thursday was truly ghastly and the players deserve all the criticism for such a gutless performance in what was a vital game for a number of reasons.

Agree, but i`m also level headed enough to realise Hearts have a long way to go before Csaba feels he has a squad which will be more consistent.

I also realise we have many players who need to go and that mnay are simply not go enough to progress Hearts and we are always prone to sudden sh it performances like Thursday.

But what i`ll never accept is chicken -heartedness and lack of fight. You can have a pesh game but you must still battle on. Not jump out of tackles, be alert, make sure you go in and try to win the ball, not hold back.

Hibs won the game on that alone. We still dominated and had a few good instances but games can be won and lost by not being brave enough when it matters. They done nowt on the ball but stillwon 1-0.

Only a Game

We've never had very many players who could win games on their own and dominate games when the rest of the team wasnt playing that great. The closest we've come recently was when Skacel and Hartley as a pair performed that function.

If anything this summer, the quality of our players overall is going to go down in terms of actual collective football talent.

We've been beaten a few times this season by teams less talented than us man for man. Thursday was just the latest example of this frustrating trend.

A team as average (at best) in quality overall as we are simply cannot get away with effort and attitude that wasnt 100%. Most times this season we've been beaten or drawn against seemingly poorer opposition when we dropped our "will to win" levels. Sometimes its quite clear that SOME players werent and still arent as up for it as their lack of quality would demand them to be.

This is Csaba's main task in the summer if you ask me. Not getting new signings in (although we need that too but dont hold your breath on it) but addressing this issue of..........well whatever it is thats causing it.....whether it be by getting rid of players who think they are good enough to perform below 100% and still look good ( we havent got ANY that can actually do that) or instilling the kind of culture in the squad where we go out from the first minute and burst a gut in every game, leaving nothing on the pitch in the 90th minute, I dont know

But its got to be done or we'll keep seeing Thursday night repeated over and over again.

Nelly Terraces

The improvement from last year has been pretty minimal, very poor team, out cups to rubbish and 1 goal v the vermin in the league - not really that great to be honest.

This is Csaba's main task in the summer if you ask me. Not getting new signings in (although we need that too but dont hold your breath on it) but addressing this issue of..........well whatever it is thats causing it.....whether it be by getting rid of players who think they are good enough to perform below 100% and still look good ( we havent got ANY that can actually do that) or instilling the kind of culture in the squad where we go out from the first minute and burst a gut in every game, leaving nothing on the pitch in the 90th minute, I dont know

But its got to be done or we'll keep seeing Thursday night repeated over and over again.

What he said. The most depressing thing about Thursday evening (for me at any rate) was the lack of fire and commitment.

Only a Game
The improvement from last year has been pretty minimal, very poor team, out cups to rubbish and 1 goal v the vermin in the league - not really that great to be honest.

I think the improvement has been pretty encouraging, but its got to be built on and the way to do that is by building up on the attitude and application of average players (because we sure as hell aint going to get anything above average this summer). We COULD have been so much better this season if our attitude had been a bit better in some of the games that SOME players, shockingly and obviously to everyone who witnessed it, didnt try a leg in

We've never had very many players who could win games on their own and dominate games when the rest of the team wasnt playing that great. The closest we've come recently was when Skacel and Hartley as a pair performed that function.

If anything this summer, the quality of our players overall is going to go down in terms of actual collective football talent.

We've been beaten a few times this season by teams less talented than us man for man. Thursday was just the latest example of this frustrating trend.

A team as average (at best) in quality overall as we are simply cannot get away with effort and attitude that wasnt 100%. Most times this season we've been beaten or drawn against seemingly poorer opposition when we dropped our "will to win" levels. Sometimes its quite clear that SOME players werent and still arent as up for it as their lack of quality would demand them to be.

I`ve moaned enough over the last couple of days so im going to look at things positively.:bulb:

I think Csaba has distinctly improved Hearts, no doubt about that. We`ve had better team shape and discipline in terms of positional sense and we are trying to play the game the right way. But where we`ve fell down is cutting edge in the last third, nothing new there.

Bravery, tackling ability and courage is under question about certain individuals but that`s not what i want to talk about.

Football wise we are going down the right road as our movement at times has been very good and we musn`t forget that we have seen some good performances and results this year. But.....

The last thing i want is us turning into a pretty wee football team with no cutting edge. Csaba MUST address the striking problems and a threat from midfield to turn 1-1`s into 2-1`s. Next season must be about improvement even more and it`ll be a test if we are in Europe too.

Hold your horses there - last year we failed to make the top 6 for the first time ever (embarrassingly losing our record as the only non-OF club never to do so) and this year we are still in 3rd spot, even if our last performance was dreadful.

That's an improvement, even if not a huge one.

Archived