VR buys up a basketball club (merged threads)

Magnoem

Source (rough translation)

In short - VR has bought 75% shares of a basketball club Žalgiris Kaunas. It's the most succesfull Lithuanian basketball club but had more than 20 million LT debts lately and was near bankrupt. Now VR is planning to invest 5 million.

Btw Žalgiris is part of basketball's 'Old Firm' - along with Lietuvos Rytas they dominate the league completely and decide who wins among themselves.

In contrast, FBK Kaunas has recently played first game in the third division of Lithuanian football...

he he he

no comment, although there are so many coming to mind

I look forward to the troops arriving to confirm how good an idea this is for us and how well spent this money is....

Victorian

i would venture that this exciting news will be seen as further proof that VR has "lost interest in hearts and football".

using the word "proof" in it's loosest sense of course.

J.T.F.Robertson
i would venture that this exciting news will be seen as further proof that VR has "lost interest in hearts and football".

And I'll venture the "he's skint" angle, will continue.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

WTF is exciting about Romanov buying a basketball club?!

:qqb010:

Victorian
WTF is exciting about Romanov buying a basketball club?!

:qqb010:

nothing. i was playing fast and loose with the word "exciting".

Manny1874

VR is looking for an alternative profession for Beniusis. This was the best option

speedbump
A year from now, Hearts will have a big, physical side.

:P

In your face!!!

Ibrahim Tall

Lithuanian basketball is actually pretty good so his chances in that sport of building the "best team in Europe", would actually be semi-realistic atleast. :shifty:

Victorian
And I'll venture the "he's skint" angle, will continue.

it's all smoke and mirrors innit? he's promised them a couple of harlem globetrotter signings you know.

Victorian
Lithuanian basketball is actually pretty good so his chances in that sport of building the "best team in Europe", would actually be semi-realistic atleast. :shifty:

maybe it was.

Drylaw Hearts

I predict a 'Basketball in Lithuania is corrupt statement' sometime soon from VR.

I also predict we'll sign a 6ft 7" Centre Forward this summer.

I wonder if Vakidis is available ?

Ibrahim Tall
maybe it was.

Still is by European standards if nothing else, they lost narrowly to Spain in the Olympic semi's and finished 3rd in the European Championships.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I cant say i'm too impressed with the team colours.

zalgiris_logo_didelis.jpg

willie-deane-zalgiris-kaunas.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Žalgiris the basketball team anything to do with Žalgiris Vilnius?

just the name. it's a name of a famoys hystoric battle.

heartsfc_fan

Can Mr Romanov just invest ****ing ?5 Milion in us instead.....

CostaJambo

Cue six or seven managers in the next four years, including one who takes them to the top of the league before being pumped for getting too popular with the fans. There follows a couple of years of consolidation before a half decent manager coincides with Vlad getting bored with his latest hobby and leaving the manager to attain a reasonable degree of success while he tries to sort out his banking empire. Cynical? Not I!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I thought Kaunas were a basketball team.

Is he trying to tell us these guys he's been sending across have been footballers?

Wowzers.

Charlie-Brown
I thought Kaunas were a basketball team.

Is he trying to tell us these guys he's been sending across have been footballers?

Wowzers.

Baseball EH ! :bulb:

Wow.

I'm shocked that I got hold of these news through KB. Žalgiris has been in huge trouble as of late and planned to pull out of the Euroleague next year, combine with a few other clubs and just play youngsters. People have been joking that he would buy them as he seems to be buying everything but it has actually happened. They are about 25m Litas in debt (6 mil GBP) and were on the verge of collapse. The director had said - we are waiting and hoping for a miracle or this is the end of Žalgiris. Very interesting news.

I was born in Kaunas and follow basketball. So this is more interesting for me than most people here, I would bet. Unless looked at from a simply financial viewpoint.

Wow.

I'm shocked that I got hold of these news through KB. ?algiris has been in huge trouble as of late and planned to pull out of the Euroleague next year, combine with a few other clubs and just play youngsters. People have been joking that he would buy them as he seems to be buying everything but it has actually happened. They are about 25m Litas in debt (6 mil GBP) and were on the verge of collapse. The director had said - we are waiting and hoping for a miracle or this is the end of ?algiris. Very interesting news.

I was born in Kaunas and follow basketball. So this is more interesting for me than most people here, I would bet. Unless looked at from a simply financial viewpoint.

Mate, Basketball is only interesting in the last ten seconds when the teams are tied.

Team A goes up and scores. Team B goes up and scores............. and repeat and repeat.

Billy the Jambo

Maybe he will make a better job of running them than he has with us it cant get any fecking worse

Victorian
Wow.

I'm shocked that I got hold of these news through KB. Žalgiris has been in huge trouble as of late and planned to pull out of the Euroleague next year, combine with a few other clubs and just play youngsters. People have been joking that he would buy them as he seems to be buying everything but it has actually happened. They are about 25m Litas in debt (6 mil GBP) and were on the verge of collapse. The director had said - we are waiting and hoping for a miracle or this is the end of Žalgiris. Very interesting news.

do lithuanian basketballists dive about trying to win penalties / free throws or whatever you call 'em?

Mate, Basketball is only interesting in the last ten seconds when the teams are tied.

Team A goes up and scores. Team B goes up and scores............. and repeat and repeat.

Basketball is IMMENSE!

I don't think I need to argue that point any further.

do lithuanian basketballists dive about trying to win penalties / free throws or whatever you call 'em?

Nah, they're more prone to sinking threes from the wing.

steven100

They are all goalkeepers. Shabby already been over to view as replacements for Balogh.

sergent garcia

main news today in Lithuania vr just bought main one of two bigest basketball clubs in Lithuania - Kaunas "Zalgiris" which had 26 million lt debt and paid for 75 procents of shares 5 million lt, fun will begin now:)

diehardJT

He has just spent more millions on another sports club? :err:..............Wow hopefully he is feeling flush and will give us a couple of million for the summer transfer market!!!!

this guy is juast a MEGLAMANIAC plain and simple!!!

gun_bandana::gun_bandana::gun_bandana:

Well I for one am glad he has got spare cash to invest elsewhere

Its not as if we could do with extra money and have the greatest debt in our history so fair play to him

Focussed to a fault is oor Vlad

Jambo Martin
main news today in Lithuania vr just bought main one of two bigest basketball clubs in Lithuania - Kaunas "Zalgiris" which had 26 million lt debt and paid for 75 procents of shares 5 million lt, fun will begin now:)

Does that mean our debt is now ?56M???? :shifty:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Basketball is a game for lanky punters who like sticking their baws in a hoop isn't it ?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Gordon Strappon called us "The land of the giants" so i look forward to next season with a spot of trepidation.

Anyway,i have done my research and am now up to scratch.

So for the uneducated :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_basketball

Word. Basketball has to be the most boring game up to the final moments and even then it's only interesting if the teams ar close. Hate the Lithuanian obession with it. Still better than baseball or cricket I suppose :50:

UBIG just released a statement about parasites, agents and other stuff like that around basketball. Quite amusing.

UBIG just released a statement about parasites, agents and other stuff like that around basketball. Quite amusing.

"The club's survival plan will be put in effect only if all other conditions are met and there would be a compromise with creditors. Also if we find how to work with the Lithuanian basketball federation and stop the extortion by agents and all the other vermins around sport"

Well I for one am glad he has got spare cash to invest elsewhere

Its not as if we could do with extra money and have the greatest debt in our history so fair play to him

Focussed to a fault is oor Vlad

I suspect he is very comfortable with our debt - hence the lack of immediate action regarding it.

Archived