Wembley Stadium

Craigieboy

I was down there over the weekend for yesterdays JPT final - Scunny v Luton Town. A very good game that had almost everything (apart from a penalty shoot out). An incredible crowd of 55 378.

But I have to say that the stadium is incredible. A proper national stadium.

The facillities were fantastic. (and they never ran out of 'pies' :cry2:)

Our seats were behind the goals and we were about half way down. The thing that struck me was that you got an excellent view wherever you sat. It must be quite something to sit in that massive top tier.

Anyway, just thought I would share. The place kind of makes Hampden look like Broomfield.

I would love to get down there again, perhaps for an FA cup final when the place is full.

Anyone else been?

Better call Saul

Watched it ! looked a great game

What were the prices like for food and stuff ?

heartsfc_fan
I was down there over the weekend for yesterdays JPT final - Scunny v Luton Town. A very good game that had almost everything (apart from a penalty shoot out). An incredible crowd of 55 378.

Our seats were behind the goals and we were about half way down. The thing that struck me was that you got an excellent view wherever you sat. It must be quite something to sit in that massive top tier.

Anyway, just thought I would share. The place kind of makes Hampden look like Broomfield.

I would love to get down there again, perhaps for an FA cup final when the place is full.

Anyone else been?

How much was the ticket out of interest?

Gigolo-Aunt

Prefer the old Wembley tbh. No doubt its amazing if you visit it though.

Maybe just the romantic in me.

The ticket was ?30. The food was pretty expensive - ?6 for a hot dog & drink :56:.

Funny, my English mate who has been before said that the outside of the place was a bit characterless. However, he was suitably impressed with the inside.

And yes, the plane journey was a peice of cake!

Whitley Jambo

Get your tickets ( ?20) booked for the FA Vase Final at Wembley on 10th May when the famous Whitley Bay take on Glossop North End. HOWAY THE BAY !

shaun.lawson
Prefer the old Wembley tbh. No doubt its amazing if you visit it though.

Maybe just the romantic in me.

The old Wembley, GA, was the world's largest ****pot. Though Craigieboy's recommendation of the new one is one of the first I've come across: many people I know who've been think it's quite soulless and lacking in atmosphere. Good to hear that wasn't the case yesterday.

Goldstone Wonder

I would have been there yesterday if we had taken care of Luton in the penalty shoot-out. Still, I'm pleased for Luton. They've had a very difficult last few years.

the game was on one of the screens in my local and, maybe it was our TV, but the pictures looked like you were watching a match from the 70 World cup ????

Honest, I only had the one pint ...........anyone else get the same effect ?

Anyone else been?

Don't suppose you were interviewed by Sky before the game?

Was watching Sky Sports News and there was a Scottish Scunthorpe fan being interviewed. Just seemed odd that of the thousands of fans they took, the one they interviewed turned out to be Scottish.

I would have been there yesterday if we had taken care of Luton in the penalty shoot-out. Still, I'm pleased for Luton. They've had a very difficult last few years.

I was really hoping for the penalty shoot out but Scunny found them difficult to break down. In the end it just sort of petered out which was a shame.

The celebrations when Scunny scored the equaliser with a minute to go was quite something!

Better call Saul
The food was pretty expensive - ?6 for a hot dog & drink :56:.

!

That is mental I hope Vlad dont catch onto they prices I dont fancy paying ?4 for a scotch pie :qqb001:

Don't suppose you were interviewed by Sky before the game?

Was watching Sky Sports News and there was a Scottish Scunthorpe fan being interviewed. Just seemed odd that of the thousands of fans they took, the one they interviewed turned out to be Scottish.

Yes, that was me. Felt like a right tit!

However, being the media whore that I am, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Did I come across OK?

LOL.

Yes, that was me. Felt like a right tit!

However, being the media whore that I am, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Did I come across OK?

LOL.

You were fine bud. Not like some complete gadgey Scottish accents you here on national telly, there was nothing cringeworthy about your comments.

Gigolo-Aunt
The old Wembley, GA, was the world's largest ****pot. Though Craigieboy's recommendation of the new one is one of the first I've come across: many people I know who've been think it's quite soulless and lacking in atmosphere. Good to hear that wasn't the case yesterday.

Like I said, maybe just the romantic in me.

The new one just seems to lack something. Maybe a few high profile great games will change that.

Have to say, cant recall a great game their yet (never seen yesterday)

You were fine bud. Not like some complete gadgey Scottish accents you here on national telly, there was nothing cringeworthy about your comments.

Haha. Had my Hearts top on and a Scunny scarf as well.

Shame I couldn't have seen it. It might turn up somewhere.

Cheers.

shaun.lawson
Like I said, maybe just the romantic in me.

The new one just seems to lack something. Maybe a few high profile great games will change that.

Have to say, cant recall a great game their yet (never seen yesterday)

Neither can I. Which is a worry, and may well have something to do with the acoustics/atmosphere. In Cardiff, both are superb. I was extremely excited when I first went to Wembley as a kid back in 1990 - and grew up less than five miles from the place. But pretty quickly, it dawned on me that it was a prehistoric cesspit trading wildly on its reputation.

Had Norwich ever reached the FA Cup Final, I'd no doubt have felt differently: there was no doubting the magic of Cup Final day itself. But it was very, very worn out by the end: that famous 1-0 defeat to Germany in 2000 was hideously apt in many ways.

Nelly Terraces

Yeah, I've been. Was at the FA Cup Final watching Pompey last seaz, and was in the Club Deck (got ?400 seats for nowt - geddin!) and can reitterate the points made, that the stadium is the utter hounds nads. The facilities and views are top drawer.

Makes Hampdump look the 2-bob slum it is, so does the Millenium in Cardiff (best stadium I've been to, bar none) - what we have is a soulless dustbin - kind of sums up the cheap and shoddy nature of Scottish football really.

Optimus Prime

Anyone else been?

I was at the match as well. Agreed great stadium and the atmosphere was great.

Luton broke the record for the highest club attendance at the new Wembley with 37,000 fans.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I trotted along to support Slovakia last week against Engerland and had some super duper seats 12 rows from the front.

Not good when it rains i can tell you,we got soaked.

Been a few times now to the new Wemberley and it has no atmosphere whatsoever.

The facilities are top notch but they do not do Bovril so i cannot recommend the dump to anyone but it is much easier to vacate than the previous stadium.

Nay bother getting a beer,so not all bad.

peckhamjambo

Sorry SL, I will have to be the second recommendation :sorcerer:

Great stadium, facilities etc, but you have a point about the atmosphere. Although I have only been there for England games and other than one section where the band are, it is pretty lacking on the whole. And don't gt me started on those fu*king annoying paper rattle things they dish out, enough to give the strongest willed a migraine!

Captain_Peacock

I went to New Wembley to watch the L1 play off last season (Leeds VS Doncaster Rover). The only ticket I could get hold of was at the cheaper end ?40 so I feared the view would be pish.

Like others I have to say I was really surprised by how good my seat was, cracking view etc. Went to the Old Wembley to see Leeds get stuffed by Villa in the League Cup & I have to say the stadium was a disgrace, apporx 10 bogs for 10K fans, the place was awash with pish.

Also went to Hampden Park to watch the Youth World Cup, Scotland Vs Saudi Arabia (the one where their younsters were bald & had beards looked like they were mid thirties rather than youth) & liked the stadium very much. Character rather than a soulless concrete bowl.

Captain_Peacock
Sorry SL, I will have to be the second recommendation :sorcerer:

Great stadium, facilities etc, but you have a point about the atmosphere. Although I have only been there for England games and other than one section where the band are, it is pretty lacking on the whole. And don't gt me started on those fu*king annoying paper rattle things they dish out, enough to give the strongest willed a migraine!

Agree 100% re atmosphere, seems to be the Sky endorsed version of football, face paint, court jester hats in team colours etc. They insisted on playing music at full blast rather than letting the fans sing which kills the traditional atmosphere.

Optimus Prime I realise I'm going to sound like a pendant here but Luton's attendance was the highest for a single club in a Johnstone's paint final.

Leeds took 55000 for the play off game last year, I know pointing that out makes me look like a tosser but I'm afraid we don't have much else to crow about at Leeds.

I think that it looks worse than it is on TV as the corporate seats are opposite the main camera position. So you often get banks of empty seats visible during the half time coverage and at the start of the second half.

Buffalo Bill
I think that it looks worse than it is on TV as the corporate seats are opposite the main camera position. So you often get banks of empty seats visible during the half time coverage and at the start of the second half.

And there's me thinking you were only on here to gloat about Spurs beating QPR back in '82.

Buffalo Bill

And there's me thinking you were only on here to gloat about Spurs beating QPR back in '82.

Buffalo Bill

Nah, just like having a dig at corporate hospitality types:th_love:

I was in the Pompy end for the FA cup final last year and was really impressed. And the atmosphere was unbelievable. As you say, Hampden isn't even on the same planet quality wise.

Fingers crossed I should be there for the Man Utd v Everton semi in a fortnight.

I have the opportunity to go...in the Utd end.

Im Everton fan so really not up for it, not going to get many other opportunities for a game like this though so i'm not sure whether to bite the bullet!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I must be one of the few that actually like Hampden. Think it generates a decent atmosphere and really isn't as bad as folk make out. Worst seats obviously behind the goals but if you sit in the west or east it's a very good view.

It's highly rated by UEFA as well.

Agree 100% re atmosphere, seems to be the Sky endorsed version of football, face paint, court jester hats in team colours etc. They insisted on playing music at full blast rather than letting the fans sing which kills the traditional atmosphere.

Optimus Prime I realise I'm going to sound like a PENDANThere but Luton's attendance was the highest for a single club in a Johnstone's paint final.

Leeds took 55000 for the play off game last year, I know pointing that out makes me look like a tosser but I'm afraid we don't have much else to crow about at Leeds.

Isn't a pendant something that hangs around your neck?.

Yours sincerely,

A.Pedant.

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I went down for last years JPT final to watch the mighty Grimsby Town against MK Dons. Sadly Grimsby lost but it was a fantastic day out and Wembley was a great stadium.

UP THE MARINERS

Captain_Peacock
Isn't a pendant something that hangs around your neck?.

Yours sincerely,

A.Pedant.

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Good point, well made. That'll teach me to try to be clever.

I went down for last years JPT final to watch the mighty Grimsby Town against MK Dons. Sadly Grimsby lost but it was a fantastic day out and Wembley was a great stadium.

UP THE MARINERS

'Down with the codheads' was one of the dittys sung yesterday!

:sorcerer:

Anyone else been?

I was there last season for the Cardiff v Barnsley Fa Cup semi.

Top row on the halfway line.

Elevator up and walked up the rest.

Amazing view.

Would love to go back sometime.

I was at the match as well. Agreed great stadium and the atmosphere was great.

Luton broke the record for the highest club attendance at the new Wembley with 37,000 fans.

League Two Play-Off Final: It's Bristol's day as they take army of 40,000 to watch them win promotion

By Norman Fox at Wembley(Guardain)

Think you may find Bristol Rovers hold the record against Shrewsbury for play-offs in 2007.

Captain_Peacock
League Two Play-Off Final: It's Bristol's day as they take army of 40,000 to watch them win promotion

Think you may find Bristol Rovers hold the record against Shrewsbury for play-offs in 2007.

As posted before Leeds United beat both Luton & Bristol with last years L1 play off final attendance. To be fair it's a bit of a red herring as these types of attendances are possible when the other team doesn't take it's full allocation. Not doubt there are other clubs able to break the current record but aren't able to as their opposition take their full allocation.

By Ivan Speck of The Mail 26th of May 2009, Leeds take 50K to Wembley.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1021873/Doncaster-Championship-agony-McAllisters-Leeds.html

The article also mentions that "Anger and bile had rained down on Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney as he was presented to the teams prior to kick-off. Soon followed one of the extraordinary sights of the new Wembley, the migration of 2,000 Leeds fans from all sections of the Doncaster end towards an enclave above the opposition fans at the top of the west end of the stadium just after kick-off.

In addition the following statment was made regarding the number of Leeds fans in Club Wembley hospitality seats

Discussing Leeds support yesterday and Proudfoot had been told by Head of Wembley that Yesterday there were 15,000 in Club Wembley-98% Leeds

The MET & BBC estimated the total number of Leed fans at the final to be 55K

Optimus Prime

I beg to differ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/04/hats_off_to_luton_after_wemble.html#071427

"They sold 40,000 tickets and had more fans inside the stadium than any other club for a final at the rebuilt Wembley."

Optimus Prime
What was the total number in the stadium? Have to beat 55K to take the record.

Romanov Stole My Pension
'Down with the codheads' was one of the dittys sung yesterday!

:sorcerer:

To/from the scunts?

Captain_Peacock

Is that the combined attendance? If so Leeds are still ahead as Scunthorpe took approx 13K, if there were 55378 Luton Town fans there hats off to them.

Captain_Peacock
Bristol Rovers V Shrewsbury- Attendance 61,589.

Again I'm guessing this is the combined attendance & if so doesn't take the record for the most fans a single club has taken to the New Wembley.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Was fortunate enough to be down at the first ever FA Cup Final (and probably the worst game ever) at the new stadium between Chelsea and man utd, ?95 for a face value ticket :56: but a great seat in a fantastic stadium, was down for the Community Shield a few months later and the ticket only cost ?22 !!!!!!! and then for the League Cup final against spurs. So far 1 win out of 3 :42:, roll on the semi v arsenal:qqb016:

Anyone else been?

I was there two years ago for the Div2 play off final.

I had a seat in the upper tier, front row : the view was fantastic and there was plenty of leg room.

The stadium is fantastic but at ?850 million it should be. A lot of people initially thought the Wembley arch was a bit of a vanity project but in fact it's essential to support the roof structure.

It is a bit austere from the outside and the FA seem to hve done nothing to make it look more attractive although it's a bit of an uphill battle given its surroundings - like a massive space ship dumped in the middle of an industrial estate.

One criticism is that the eateries are (or were then) like pig sties - there are no waste bins and punters are told to simply dump thier empty 'glasses' and assorted rubbish staright onto the floor.

Again I'm guessing this is the combined attendance & if so doesn't take the record for the most fans a single club has taken to the New Wembley.

I was at that game : Rovers sold out their entire alocation and since Shrewsbury only sold around 17-18,000 tickets Rovers must have had over 40,000 fans there that day. It certainly sounded like it.:56::20:

shaun.lawson
I was there two years ago for the Div2 play off final.

I had a seat in the upper tier, front row : the view was fantastic and there was plenty of leg room.

The stadium is fantastic but at ?850 million it should be. A lot of people initially thought the Wembley arch was a bit of a vanity project but in fact it's essential to support the roof structure.

It is a bit austere from the outside and the FA seem to hve done nothing to make it look more attractive although it's a bit of an uphill battle given its surroundings - like a massive space ship dumped in the middle of an industrial estate.

One criticism is that the eateries are (or were then) like pig sties - there are no waste bins and punters are told to simply dump thier empty 'glasses' and assorted rubbish staright onto the floor.

Yes - Wembley's surrounding environs certainly don't help! I think they've done up Wembley Park tube a bit to accompany the new stadium, but that's about it. Back in the day, the industrial estate surrounding the old stadium felt almost surreal: you could wander around in the shadows of history almost deserted, and the only thing good about the area was a ten pin bowling alley where, by some utter fluke, I achieved my personal all time high of 185. I think we'd bunked off school that day in order to go there!

Captain_Peacock
I was at that game : Rovers sold out their entire alocation and since Shrewsbury only sold around 17-18,000 tickets Rovers must have had over 40,000 fans there that day. It certainly sounded like it.:56::20:

Thats a good example of how at times the football system doesn't work. Rovers sell out their allocation & demand exceeds supply. Shrewsbury only sell 17-18K.

The result is a stadium on TV with empty seats while Rovers fans who don't fancy buying tickets in the opposition seating sit at home dissapointed.

I understand that the timming of play off semi finals / play off final means clubs only have a limited time to organise tickets for fans but empty seats while demand is there makes no sense to me at all.

Archived