What job would you take?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

The one that was exciting with lots of different projects and foriegn travel and big salary & bonus but loads of unpaid overtime, mental deadlines, pressure and not a lot of job security

or

the public sector job with internal clients only, paid overtime, heavily unionised with a smaller salary but a final salary pension if you stay there for 20 years

Walter Payton

First one but I'm still in my twenties- I'd expect peoples' responses will be influenced by the stage they're at in their lives.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Ok think of it from the perspective of someone in his (VERY EARLY) 40's

Ok think of it from the perspective of someone in his (VERY EARLY) 40's

Any family commitments?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

No not at the moment

Last time I checked you had to have sex to have bairns!!

1st one, and pay into company personal pension or stakeholder plan after calculating what you would want to retire on and when.

Final salary pension is an amazing benefit to have, but you have to be challenged to bring out the best in you.

Imagine you go for the 'easy' option, will you always be thinking 'what if I'd taken that high flyer role?'

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This is a no brainer.

1st one. You could get hit by a bus in 10 years and then your pensions worthless!

Thank me later.

No not at the moment

:laugh:

...but there's also partner, ageing parents etc. to consider (in some cases)

However if none of those apply would the low job security of the first one be balanced by there being other employers in the same field who could use the person's skills if the original one went to pot?

I'd be tempted by the first one - depends how much of a risk taker the person is.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

It's a hypothetical question really at the moment

I've always worked in the private sector (until getting made redundant recently) but recently I've become disillusioned with the role and the clients I've been working for. For example I was working for two large gambling clients in a role that basically had me producing materials that encourage people to gamble. On top of that I had drinks clients and people like large pharmaceutical companies on my client roster. None of these sit very well with my morals but the ?45k salary plus bonus sweetened it a bit.

Now I've applied for a job in the NHS on a much smaller salary which I'd like to think I'd have a good chance of getting. The role is pretty much the same as I was doing previously but obviously youre using your skills for the greater good rather than just upping some companies share price. The downside is that it'll be in the same studio every day and although there will probably be a fair chance of climbing the ladder the work will be fairly bland.

It's a hypothetical question really at the moment

I've always worked in the private sector (until getting made redundant recently) but recently I've become disillusioned with the role and the clients I've been working for. For example I was working for two large gambling clients in a role that basically had me producing materials that encourage people to gamble. On top of that I had drinks clients and people like large pharmaceutical companies on my client roster. None of these sit very well with my morals but the ?45k salary plus bonus sweetened it a bit.

Now I've applied for a job in the NHS on a much smaller salary which I'd like to think I'd have a good chance of getting. The role is pretty much the same as I was doing previously but obviously youre using your skills for the greater good rather than just upping some companies share price. The downside is that it'll be in the same studio every day and although there will probably be a fair chance of climbing the ladder the work will be fairly bland.

If your redundant, take anything, you can always jump ship later.

No not at the moment

If you've never had sex, the job with the big salary and foreign travel may well get you laid :smoking:

Lets just assume you want to move again in a couple of years, for whatever reason - the first one will look far better on your CV.

Not the main consideration but a valid one nevertheless.

Gordon Brown reckons the recession is finished so go for the first one. His word is good enough for me.

shaun.lawson

I don't care who you are, or what stage of life you're at. If you have the chance to follow your heart and your passions and don't, you'll end up regretting it. Go for it! Life is for the living, not for the suffering or surviving.

Archived