Gordon dropped for Holland game.

buca junior

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's playing it safe, cannae really blame him.

Whoever plays in goal, were probably gonnae get beat. At least this way the Weejie press arenae gonnae hound the boy out of a job. Sad state of affairs but true to form.

I think Holland could absolutely annihilate us.

So from that point of view I'd rather see torn-faced McGregor picking the ball out of the net that Craig.

Drylaw Hearts
Playing the weaker player due to pressure from the press.

Sigh.

Tbf.........

If Gordon played and we got hammered GB would have got stick for playing a Goalie who has not played a competitive match in over 2 months.

He's in a no win situation.

I'm in a way glad it is McGregor. Playing Holland away from home is bad enough for a goalie but playing behind a rookie defence will make it even harder.

Glad it will be McGregor leaking the goals tbh.

Tbf.........

If Gordon played and we got hammered GB would have got stick for playing a Goalie who has not played a competitive match in over 2 months.

He's in a no win situation.

I agree

I just don't think somebody like Souness would have the same crap to worry about which is a shame.

Irrespective of how badly we get beat, I fully believe that the press will come out with things like....

"McGregor - 6 - Abandoned by defence, not to blame for the goals"

And any other comment absolving him of blame due to the defensive errors.

Aside from Scotland, this looks like bad news for Hearts IMO. I suspect that Gordon will be peed off at being left out of the biggest game of our campaign and will blame Sbragia for this. This could lead to him leaving Sunderland in the summer, saving them a six figure sum and conversely losing us the same amount.

Quick edit, Sunderland are still in deep doo-doo, seems that Sbragia mightn't be doing as well as the general public seem to think he is.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Not saying we are going to win but Holland are pretty weak right now with injuries and the like. Good chance for us to sneak something. Which we wont.

scottish_chicP

Oh well I expected us to get beat at least now hopefully Macgregor can look like a **** in the process.

Adi Dassler
Irrespective of how badly we get beat, I fully believe that the press will come out with things like....

"McGregor - 6 - Abandoned by defence, not to blame for the goals"

And any other comment absolving him of blame due to the defensive errors.

Aside from Scotland, this looks like bad news for Hearts IMO. I suspect that Gordon will be peed off at being left out of the biggest game of our campaign and will blame Sbragia for this. This could lead to him leaving Sunderland in the summer, saving them a six figure sum and conversely losing us the same amount.

Quick edit, Sunderland are still in deep doo-doo, seems that Sbragia mightn't be doing as well as the general public seem to think he is.

Has Quinn not been quoted as saying Sbragia has to keep them up to avoid the sack, and even then it might not be enough to save his job.

Or have i completely dreamt that?

Gordon will quite rightly feel hard done by, Burley has succumbed to pressure from the Glaswegian media on this one. They have been touting McGregor to get the jersey since Rangers run in Europe last season.

Gordon is a far superior goalkeeper in, he's never let Scotland down and even though he's rarely played recently i cannot see the benefits of treating him like this.

Pish poor decision by Burley.

Drylaw Hearts
I agree

I just don't think somebody like Souness would have the same crap to worry about which is a shame.

You're probably right.

I think it's the right decision to be honest. McGregor is no as good as GOrdon, but he's no terrible either and Gordon has had one game in 4 months. Don't think Gordon would let us down but you need to be playing every week. Having said that I'd still have liked us to risk Hutton because all the cover at right back is murder.

Has Quinn not been quoted as saying Sbragia has to keep them up to avoid the sack, and even then it might not be enough to save his job.

Or have i completely dreamt that?

I am not sure tbh. I wouldn't doubt that though, seems like a fair deal. I actually think if they just scrape in and only just stay in the league that it will not be enough for Sbragia.

Burley has no choice IMO, Gordon has only played one competative game in months and Burleys been pretty clear about wanting to play players who have been in the first team regularly. Burleys got to be fair to McGregor as well, although Gordon hasn't done anything wrong, it would be unfair on McGregor for Burley to break his own rules and not give him an opportunity, despite being a Rangers player and weegie press darling, McGregor does deserve his chance.

Hopefully after letting in 3/4 goals he'll be dropped.

Fair enought to be honest.

I'd be surprised if Gordon did start this game tbh. He hasn't held done a regularly starting place at Sunderland for a long time (I know he has been injured for most of that) and if it were the other way round and McGregor was picked infront of Gordon having not played regularly people would be fuming.

I'd rather see Gordon get fit and play regularly for Sunderland before he ******* around with the national team.

Destruction Derby

anybody got a price with the bookies on scotland to have a 2 goal start and still get beat? EDIT - not meaning we will actually score 2. think it would mean holland to win by 3. i always get my mate to do handicap bets for me.

Hopefully we can still sing ' Scotland's Number 2' by the time the next Rangers game comes round!

I can see us getting pumped.

I also hope McGregor has a stormer in a 1-0 win by the way. once Gordon is back playing every week he'll still be the 1st choice keeper, no doubt about it. Burley knows as well as anyone how good a keeper Craig is.

Cut The Crap

Correct decision I think.

Only first-team regulars should ever be considered for the national team.

So Gordon's dropped but a half fit Hutton is likely to start?

Hypocrisy at its highest.

Burley has sh@t it, pandering to the needs of the weegie press.

Drylaw Hearts
So Gordon's dropped but a half fit Hutton is likely to start?

Hypocrisy at its highest.

Burley has sh@t it, pandering to the needs of the weegie press.

Hutton isn't playing.

this all has a similar ring to another story. robbo mccoist, robbo fit and playing mccoist coming back from injury, who got picked. even worse with them being outfield players. it's always happened & always will. weegie before anybody else, unless theres big league games coming up then the weegies feint injury

portobellojambo1

In the overall scheme of things does it really matter who is in between the sticks, be it McGregor or Gordon. Looking at the full squad I would respectfully suggest that who plays in goals might be one of the lesser problems, it is in many of the outfield positions that Scotland appears to lack what could be described as genuine quality or resource to cope with the Dutch.

I think it's the right decision to be honest. McGregor is no as good as GOrdon, but he's no terrible either and Gordon has had one game in 4 months. Don't think Gordon would let us down but you need to be playing every week. Having said that I'd still have liked us to risk Hutton because all the cover at right back is murder.

Agree. I think Craig is a much better goalie but he has not played enough.

As for the right back position - I think Hutton should be kept back for the Iceland game. Every chance that he will break down during a game, and it is unlikely that he can play 2 games. Neilson would have been a better option than Alexander or the useless Whitaker for the Holland game.

It's not like McGregor's a rookie kid though is it ?

GB has picked the man who's getting a regular game, and not just in League 3 or whatever, so he's arguably done the right thing. If it goes breasts up then, in my view, it will blow up in the weegie meejas face if anyone's .

Also we are up against one of the top sides in the world here. That's not just Engerland type hype either cos they can be truly awesome on their day. So if it becomes a turkey shoot then nobody is likely to be able to save us anyway

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Although I believe that Gordon is a far better keeper, I think Burley's decision to play McGregor is correct. I've always moaned about players that played, despite them not playing regularly for their clubs, so on that basis it is the correct decision

It will be interesting to see if Hutton is given a start, what with Broadfoot pulling out, given that he also hasn't played in over 2 months.

Hutton isn't playing.

Is it confirmed?

Even so it's the wrong decision, Gordon is by far the better keeper, there's no comparison here with the Boyd situation.

Gordon would improve the team, whereas Boyd would not have.

Burley made a rod for his own back and now he's buggered everything up.

Drylaw Hearts
Is it confirmed?

Even so it's the wrong decision, Gordon is by far the better keeper, there's no comparison here with the Boyd situation.

According to SSN.....

"Hutton won't be considered for a starting place v Holland"

Paul Hartley has also pulled out of the squad with a Hamstring injury.

Although I believe that Gordon is a far better keeper, I think Burley's decision to play McGregor is correct. I've always moaned about players that played, despite them not playing regularly for their clubs, so on that basis it is the correct decision

It will be interesting to see if Hutton is given a start, what with Broadfoot pulling out, given that he also hasn't played in over 2 months.

he's already said Hutton's no playing in Amsterdam. I think he views it, rightly, as a bonus to take anything in that game but Iceland is a 100% must win. Hutton less likely to be tested defensively against Iceland and gets another 4 days training under his belt.

Francis Albert

Probably would have been the choice anyway but McGregor maybe owes Calum a word of thanks for giving him the chance to bring off two great saves on Saturday - for all Rangers dominance for the first hour by far the best two saves of the game.

The Future's Maroon
Gordon will quite rightly feel hard done by, Burley has succumbed to pressure from the Glaswegian media on this one. They have been touting McGregor to get the jersey since Rangers run in Europe last season.
So it could be said he's being picked based on his performances LAST SEASON (and thats not including the ones Alexander took his place in due to injury)He hasnt exactly been brilliant this season has he? Poor show Burley....tut tut.

Is it confirmed?

I agree that Gordon is the better keeper but think how bad it will be if he's rusty as hell and has a really bad game. It's going to be tough as it is. This isn't about Burley making a rod for his own back, McGregor is, sadly, in this case the right choice.

I agree that Gordon is by far the better keeper but I have to say I think that McGregor should start and deserves to start. I am a firm believer that if you aren't playing for your club then you shouldn't be picked to play for your country unless there are little or no other options.

Gordon has been a little unlucky in that he didn't quite hit the form expected of him down south and since he was dropped due to injury Fulop has come in and played well keeping him out the team. It seems as if he just has to wait for a ******-up from Fulop before he can regain his place.

I have to say I disagree with those that think Burley is bowing to the pressure from the media to play McGregor. Gordon is not match fit, that's all there is to in my opinion.

Is it confirmed?

I don't buy it's pandering to the weegie press at all. they were making the case for McGregore being as good (he's clearly not) at the start of this campaign. Burley rightly picked Gordon for the opening 3 qualifiers.

Gordon has 1 game in over 4 months, how can he justify picking him? Take off the Hearts blinkers and it's a simple, correct, decision.

I don't buy it's pandering to the weegie press at all. they were making the case for McGregore being as good (he's clearly not) at the start of this campaign. Burley rightly picked Gordon for the opening 3 qualifiers.

Gordon has 1 game in over 4 months, how can he justify picking him? Take off the Hearts blinkers and it's a simple, correct, decision.

Would just about agree with that.

As an aside, Holland are 1/3 to beat Scotland.

Free money imo.

I agree that Gordon is the better keeper but think how bad it will be if he's rusty as hell and has a really bad game. It's going to be tough as it is. This isn't about Burley making a rod for his own back, McGregor is, sadly, in this case the right choice.

Gordon's rustiness v. McGregor's lack of concentration levels.

McGregor will be fine against Holland, it's against Iceland where he might have his problems.

rossthejambo

i realise it is only 1 game in 4 months but in that one game he was by an absolute mile the MoTM and stopped blackburn winning 8-1 instead of 2-1. Just shows that even with lack of match practice if he's called upon he can do the job.

Macgregor could well be on the football scrapheap after saturday if the dutch go all out for the full 90 min. Good enough for him he aint half the keeper Gordon is or half the professional!

Burley hasn't come under any pressure from the media, IMO. We all just, quite understandably, want what's best for a good Jambo.

Given the choice between an on-form right back, and one who hasn't played for 2 months for example, who would you choose? No contest.

I don't see how this is any different for goalkeepers. AM is starting because he's played regular football this season for his club, and Craig Gordon hasn't. Simple as that.

So you would pick Jamie Langfield, Graeme Smith and this time last year Andy McNeil ahead of Gordon.

As long as Spurs are willing to allow Scotland to take a chance on Hutton breaking down, I'd play him because he is miles better than the other right backs.

Gordon ain't as far ahead of McGregor, but he is still by some distance. Plus being a keeper, he doesn't need as many games for fitness levels.

Many a journalist commented couple of weeks ago that ability had nothing to do with it. As McGregor is playing, only he could have the desired concentration levels. He then proceeds to go walkabout for no reason against Hamilton in the cup tie.

If concentration levels are anything to go by, Gordon not only beats McGregor, but most other keepers hands down. That's why he doesn't coming flying out for every cross ball that some fans Hearts fans demanded of him.

He learned that lesson as a 21 year old against Norway.

In 6 years time when McGregor is reaching his mid 30s, I still doubt he will learn from past mistakes.

Now that's what stands Gordon out. By the length of Govan to Wearside.

And one final point, I'm pretty sure there isn't too much between then in training just now. But then again training (basic shot stopping) isn't match time

ToadKiller Dog

I would have made the tougher decision and went for Gordon ,He is one of the few genuine players of any class in the scotland squad and in my view the Gap between him and Mcgregor in abilities is big enough to make a difference in the game,Top level players should not get rusty .

the cup game he played for sunderland he played a while back his only recent competitive game he was a stand out .

To me Burley has made the safe decision and that explains why he is the scotland manager at this stage in his career .

If it is Mcgregor who is picked i wish him well and hope he has a decent game.

I really question the wisdom of picking McGregor for a match in Amsterdam - he'll be like a kid in a sweetie shop when he gets over there. He'll be the new Frank McAvennie by the time he gets back to Glasgow, if he ain't that already.

Archived