That Was The Team That Was

Hambone

Thanks for posting that Hambone. Even though it still hurts I just had to watch it. Memories, memories - I'm away to bed to cry myself to sleep. Wonder if I'll have that recurring dream I used to have of strangling Frank McGarvey?

Painful. I wish a 1000 horrible deaths to that rhat McGarvey:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Is there any of you computer wizz kids who can put that on rapidshare so I can download it and burn it on a DVD.

I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it all the same.

for all the sadness of dens park, thats still the best season ever. supporting the team home & away was just an amazing atmosphere

it shows you how much it still affects people when alex macdonald starts crying and sandy clark does well to hold back when he gets interviewed.

85/86 was fantastic in hindsight. a privilege to have been part of it. frank mcgarvie is the devil incarnate.

that is all.

Geoff Kilpatrick

JC's last line in the documentary is so true (hell, it's the reason I started following HMFC). At the end of the day, Hearts had their pride back and NOTHING could take that away.

Adi Dassler

Not watched this for ages as it's a real tear in the eye moment when wee Doddie starts bubbling.

I can only echo others wishes that Frank McGarvey dies a slow lonely death, the degenerate gambling ^^^^.

85/86 was fantastic in hindsight. a privilege to have been part of it. frank mcgarvie is the devil incarnate.

that is all.

100% spot on! The atmosphere home and away was incredible, I'll never forget that season despite how it turned out

100% spot on! The atmosphere home and away was incredible, I'll never forget that season despite how it turned out

going back into work after the dens park game as a poor wee 16 year old sprog was less than fun. i was mercilessly picked on by jubilant hobo bullies.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
going back into work after the dens park game as a poor wee 36 year old moaner was less than fun. i was mercilessly picked on by jubilant hobo bullies.

Tis ok.

I corrected your errors.

Tis ok.

I corrected your errors.

unless you were at dens park, you have no business on this 'real fans' thread.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
unless you were at dens park, you have no business on this 'real fans' thread.

"Real Fans" never question the loyalty of other fans.

"Real Fans" just get on with supporting their club and not spending precious moments justifying themselves to argumentative trolls.

"Real Fans" never question the loyalty of other fans.

"Real Fans" just get on with supporting their club and not spending precious moments justifying themselves to argumentative trolls.

i'll assume that to be an admission of being nowhere near dens park on 3/5/86.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
i'll assume that to be an admission of being nowhere near dens park on 3/5/86.

That would be an incorrect assumption.

Vlad's fault IMO.

GHTF

scary to think that vlad was in his 30s when dens park happened. possibly had all his marbles too.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

That was tremendous Hambone, thanks for that.

I was too young to have been at Dens that day, but obviously every Hearts supporter knows what happened that season. I don't know how you all handled it!

And agree with those wishing an unpleasant death on Fr*nk McGa**ey.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
scary to think that victorian was in his 30s when dens park happened. possibly had all his marbles too.

Corrected this one as well for you..

3 times my team has made me cry - Dens Park 1986, Celtic Park 1998 (although strictly speaking, it was the morning after the Cup Final I actually cried), and Tynecastle 2006 when we beat Aberdeen to finish second.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Forever maroon.

gordon the jambo

I traveled on the Leith and Rosburn hearts bus then and at the start of the season we ran 1 bus by the end 3 buses what a great season it was :42:

The greatest season ever in my time following Hearts,still get a tear in the eye yet.

As I had on the video [ 22 minutes in ].:42:

My mullet was horrific back then as you can see:56:

Still think about what might have been to this day...oh well,onwards and upwards as they say!

Not watched this for ages as it's a real tear in the eye moment when wee Doddie starts bubbling.

When the BBC first screened this (three or four years ago now?) I regret to report that my reaction was less than stoic and stiff upper-lipped.

I wobbled twice while i was watching that. first one is cup final finish and you can hear championees blasting out and just the pictures outside the caley

:42:

correct me if i'm wrong but did dundee have to win to get a european place or something? i can't remember and did they just miss out on it or am i totally wrong

I don`t think a support of any other club would have done what we did. That ovation at the end of the Cup Final a week after Dens was major lump in the throat stuff.

It capped a great season in one hand but also a despairing one in the other.

I wobbled twice while i was watching that. first one is cup final finish and you can hear championees blasting out and just the pictures outside the caley

:42:

correct me if i'm wrong but did dundee have to win to get a european place or something? i can't remember and did they just miss out on it or am i totally wrong

they had a chance of beating rangers into 5th and a euro place. i think they had to win and rangers to lose IIRC. i distinctly remember their fans going daft at some point in the 2nd half at something which was later reported to be an inaccurate report of rangers losing a goal (i think).

lost in leith
they had a chance of beating rangers into 5th and a euro place. i think they had to win and rangers to lose IIRC. i distinctly remember their fans going daft at some point in the 2nd half at something which was later reported to be an inaccurate report of rangers losing a goal (i think).

Correct on both counts.

Correct on both counts.

might have been so different if they had nothing to play for. mind you i suppose the kudos of ending our run might have been enough incentive for them... plus the kidd devil was a raging tim.

I always thought they should do one of these about the 98 cup winning team. Obviously 86 is a very dramatic story and can't fault them for that but they've since had ones about diddy cup wins.

It was disappointing when they did the Celtic 98 title winning team they completely erased Hearts from the title race. Didn't fit their story of them busting 10 in a row.

shaun.lawson

God. That programme's been on YouTube for ages now, but it's the first time I've ever had the stomach to watch it. What it must've been like for Wallace, Doddie, the players and the fans is still beyond my comprehension: it's just horrific.

A word for Doddie especially: why did he never get the recognition he deserved as a manager? The poor guy hit the post so often, yet dragged the team up by its bootstraps. I really liked how Henry Smith came across in the programme too. What I think is special is how we've never forgotten the team of '86, and venerated them more than almost any other. Fingers crossed, one day they'll have the chance to see the League flag raised in Gorgie again.

God. That programme's been on YouTube for ages now, but it's the first time I've ever had the stomach to watch it. What it must've been like for Wallace, Doddie, the players and the fans is still beyond my comprehension: it's just horrific.

A word for Doddie especially: why did he never get the recognition he deserved as a manager? The poor guy hit the post so often, yet dragged the team up by its bootstraps. I really liked how Henry Smith came across in the programme too. What I think is special is how we've never forgotten the team of '86, and venerated them more than almost any other. Fingers crossed, one day they'll have the chance to see the League flag raised in Gorgie again.

Some of us believe he was a far greater influence on the club than JJ!

the john fairgrieve (god rest him) book 'the boys in maroon' is essential reading for younger jambos who haven't already read it.

as most will already no doubt know, the dundee side of that terrible day included one jim duffy, later to be professional friend and agitator of rix, as well as one colin hendry.

shaun.lawson
Some of us believe he was a far greater influence on the club than JJ!

He probably was, speedbump. He was before my time, hence my ignorance really - but Mercer and MacDonald gave this club its pride and prestige back, something JJ was able to build upon.

Just watched it again. That Sportscene theme tune of the time haunts me everytime i hear it! Just reminds me of that fateful day.

Alex MacDonald was a great manager. People forget Scottish football was of no doubt a higher standard then as teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were strong and you also had the OF, although Rangers weren`t too hot but they still had dangerous players.

Once he established us he more often than not kept us up there and we had the memorable run in Europe under him too. I`ve no doubt the failure at the end of the 86 season affected the players mentally. To go on and lose a Scots Cup semi to StMidden a season later was sore and then throw away a 1-0 lead over Celtic at the same stage a year on was majorly disappointing.

It all go`s to help the younger fans understand the euphoria of the 1998 cup win. i hope it does anyway!

this_is_my_story
Is there any of you computer wizz kids who can put that on rapidshare so I can download it and burn it on a DVD.

I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it all the same.

Best I can probably do is download it from Hambone's stream as an flv video file, and then upload it to rapidshare, the file is only 75Mb. You'd be able to watch it on your pc, just search for any free flv players, or use Media Player Classic.

As for converting/encoding (or whatever else you'd need to do!) the flv file to put it on a DVD, I reckon Hambone would be the man to ask!

I'll stick the rapidshare link on this thread after uploading.

this_is_my_story
Just watched it again. That Sportscene theme tune of the time haunts me everytime i hear it! Just reminds me of that fateful day.

Alex MacDonald was a great manager. People forget Scottish football was of no doubt a higher standard then as teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were strong and you also had the OF, although Rangers weren`t too hot but they still had dangerous players.

Once he established us he more often than not kept us up there and we had the memorable run in Europe under him too. I`ve no doubt the failure at the end of the 86 season affected the players mentally. To go on and lose a Scots Cup semi to StMidden a season later was sore and then throw away a 1-0 lead over Celtic at the same stage a year on was majorly disappointing.

It all go`s to help the younger fans understand the euphoria of the 1998 cup win. i hope it does anyway!

Some good points there, the '87 and '88 semi defeats were real sickeners. As you say though, those defeats, coupled with what happened in '86, made 1998 all the sweeter.

He probably was, speedbump. He was before my time, hence my ignorance really - but Mercer and MacDonald gave this club its pride and prestige back, something JJ was able to build upon.

Mercer and MacDonald were perfect for Hearts at the time. We got some spirit back, the fight, the passion, the pride and as JC said some dignity back. In my eyes no probably about it they put the club back were it belonged. So Doddie will always be my favourite Hearts manager.

this_is_my_story
Best I can probably do is download it from Hambone's stream as an flv video file, and then upload it to rapidshare, the file is only 75Mb. You'd be able to watch it on your pc, just search for any free flv players, or use Media Player Classic.

As for converting/encoding (or whatever else you'd need to do!) the flv file to put it on a DVD, I reckon Hambone would be the man to ask!

http://rapidshare.com/files/213553243/That_Was_The_Team_That_Was_-_HMFC_85-86.flv

I was working in London the day of the defeat at Dundee. For superstitious reasons I hadn't heard anything of the game and I confidently walked into my regular watering hole expecting to celebrate a famous league win for my beloved team.

The gaffer, a Chelsea man, took me aside, bought me a pint, and broke the news to me. He had a soft spot for the Hearts and big respect to him; he took care of me as I crumbled into a complete mess in a corner of his pub. I have relived these moments many times and the only way that pain will leave me is a league win in my lifetime.

Hey, its not impossible, I'm only 55.

And I still believe!

One day we will get the break we deserve.

Hearts Glorious Hearts

It was a very surreal feeling when the final whistle blew that day. I didn't know what to feel. I was gutted. This wasn't in the script. It was silence on the way home in the car with four other friends. Once I got out the car and started walking round to my house, I completely lost it. That night in the pub in Bathgate we were all bawling our eyes out. It still hurts after nearly 23 years.

Lynn

Was at dens that fateful day but left just before the second goal , Just couldn't handle my emotions after the first goal. And had never seen the second goal until i watched the above video. Still hurts and have a tear in my eye typing this .

Being born and bred in Perth the hatred still burns more for ****dee than any other.

Thought that Wee Doddie was absolutely brilliant , He and Wallace laid the foundations for the club we have now. Even though JJ brought us our first trophy in many years, I still believe that it was down to Wee Doddie and Wallace .

Mate thank you so much for this. The youtube upload looks like it was filmed with a cell phone. This is perfect quality

My dad was there but I was born in 1989 so it has barely affected me but watching that was very difficult. Especially towards the end.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Hibs' greatest ever season.

Honouring a man who never played for them,

celebrating at the final whistle as they're team finished 3rd bottom ahead of Motherwell and Clydebank, finishing the season with 1 point out of 8, 4 goals for and 7 goals against versus the Hearts.

Aye, a Hearts failure is a Hibs success, little do they realise that the majority of Hearts fans see 1985/86 as the greatest ever season. (apart from the auld yins who saw 57/58 & 59/60)

I checked rapid share and it was a max 200 meg and

the file is about 450.

I have never tried megaupload is let me know if it works

This is a MPG4 file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MVVWFL7P

Archived