George Foulkes

Walter Kidd

Walter Kidd

Normally, I give the man a bit of a hard time on here. His comments about Fat Prat Salmond are to be absolutely commended today in the News and every single Hearts fan who votes SNP because of this oaf should think again.

Well said George.

Guest Dipped Flake
Normally, I give the man a bit of a hard time on here. His comments about Fat Prat Salmond are to be absolutely commended today in the News and every single Hearts fan who votes SNP because of this oaf should think again.

Well said George.

Thought again but will continue to vote SNP if that's ok with you.

Walter Kidd

How anyone can vote SNP is beyond even my thinking. An Independent Scotland would have been down the swanny river in this economic downturn, however, this isn't a thread for this so will leave well alone.

although i agree with GF i do feel his article has slightly more to do with political points scoring than anything else, its time to let the matter rest as the family have already asked.

comes as no surprise that this is still being dragged on.

politicians are conditioned to argue the toss over the least little, minor things. they're like a bunch of infants half the time.

salmond appeared to dislike mercer based directly on the fact that he disliked his political views... which seems a bit daft. overall what he said about mercer didn't seem all that offensive. foulkes also looks a bit silly by trying to make it into something it wasn't.

shut up the pair o ye, you're not hobos.

Simple reaction here

I knew Lord ****sake when he was a bumbling dogmatic councillor who created havoc with his policies. I met him several times and thought him a bumbling buffoon then

I met him again when he was elected an MP - and I thought he was even more a buffoon. He was still drivelling on but had become bumptious as well. Ma Broon thought so and booted him up to the Lords at the first chance.

His career has been one of great expenses claims and consultancies (the Hon Member for Eversheds, as some of his Labour colleagues call him after he was caught selling favours for that firm). Some of his MSP Labour colleagues allegedly just call him Bunter.

In over 30 years I have known him achieve little that was not of direct benefit to himself. His opinions are at best driven by self-interest.

The mutual dislike of Lord ****sake and Salmond is a matter of public record, and nobody should judge either by what the other says about him. Both are egotistical, overweight chancers. One I would drink with at a pinch, the other I would leave a bar to avoid.

What Salmond says I think was badly worded, but possibly accurate in how I read it - many of us refused to put money into the last schemes Mercer had for Tynie as we had no trust in him by then. He saved the club at the outset, but started paying himself huge sums of our money when it was needed later on.

Perhaps Lord ****sake could spend some time addressing real issues, like where the hell my pension is (George Brown stole it with his pensions grab a few years ago), or illegal wars, or the near-collapse of UK banking due to crassly incompetent regulation, or Labour corruption (too close to home?) than drivelling on about Fatboy Salmond yet again.

How a personal, politically-motivated attack somehow rights the perceived wrong of Salmond's comments, is beyond me I'm afraid.

I couldn't give a toss for any politician's football allegiances, and I don't like these people trying to score cheap points in the chamber over my team.

Spot on Borthers.

Simple reaction here

I knew Lord ****sake when he was a bumbling dogmatic councillor who created havoc with his policies. I met him several times and thought him a bumbling buffoon then

I met him again when he was elected an MP - and I thought he was even more a buffoon. He was still drivelling on but had become bumptious as well. Ma Broon thought so and booted him up to the Lords at the first chance.

His career has been one of great expenses claims and consultancies (the Hon Member for Eversheds, as some of his Labour colleagues call him after he was caught selling favours for that firm). Some of his MSP Labour colleagues allegedly just call him Bunter.

In over 30 years I have known him achieve little that was not of direct benefit to himself. His opinions are at best driven by self-interest.

The mutual dislike of Lord ****sake and Salmond is a matter of public record, and nobody should judge either by what the other says about him. Both are egotistical, overweight chancers. One I would drink with at a pinch, the other I would leave a bar to avoid.

What Salmond says I think was badly worded, but possibly accurate in how I read it - many of us refused to put money into the last schemes Mercer had for Tynie as we had no trust in him by then. He saved the club at the outset, but started paying himself huge sums of our money when it was needed later on.

Perhaps Lord ****sake could spend some time addressing real issues, like where the hell my pension is (George Brown stole it with his pensions grab a few years ago), or illegal wars, or the near-collapse of UK banking due to crassly incompetent regulation, or Labour corruption (too close to home?) than drivelling on about Fatboy Salmond yet again.

Nail on the head JG.

Ps Was that not Gordon Brown with the pensions grab? Mind you it wouldn't have surprised me if George Brown had done the same - it's probably in the genes!!

I've got no time for politics in football but i think foulkes is right to a certain degree, it was an attack on a dead man, salmond is bearly a supporter, he has a right to an opinion but to besmirch a man who saved hearts from possibly going under and who can't reply is just wrong.

To be fair, he did say anybody that voted SNP BECAUSE of him, unless you are voting for one man and not a party, it wasn't aimed at you.

Quick point about Foulkes.

I don't like it when a guy that has been a Hearts fan since his adult son chose to follow Hearts decides to tell me/us what it takes to be a Hearts fan.

Adi Dassler

Foulkes has done alright by Hearts in my book.

Fats Salmond on the other hand, nobody i know has ever seen him anywhere near a Hearts game.

Well said George.

I'm no SNP supporter, but this is just Foulkes using Hearts supporting as a soapbox for getting a dig in at a political rival.

Nail on the head JG.

Ps Was that not Gordon Brown with the pensions grab? Mind you it wouldn't have surprised me if George Brown had done the same - it's probably in the genes!!

Sorry

Ma Broon is the derogatory nickname used for our Beloved Prime Minister in the Scotsman and Herald forums.

Yes it was Gordon Brown who ripped of all of our final salary pension schemes and forced their closure. And who made me have to postpone my retirement by years.

But the issue still is Lord ****sake using Hearts as a stick to beat a political rival. We are not a political party and nobody should use us for political point-scoring. Least of all anyone so tainted and irrelevant as Lord ****sake.

The Real Maroonblood
How anyone can vote SNP is beyond even my thinking. An Independent Scotland would have been down the swanny river in this economic downturn, however, this isn't a thread for this so will leave well alone.

Cheerio then.

Well said George.

"Ian Mercer, Wallace's son, said the family had no desire to prolong the dispute, and had simply wanted to defend Mr Mercer's memory. "It's an apology of sorts," he said. "He's tried to justify his comments. But, really, we've said our bit now and I think this knocks it on the head."

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/politics/Mercer-family-accept-apology-from.5096063.jp

I think it would have been better if George had kept out of this. Salmond apologized, the Mercer family accepted, and indicated they'd prefer that to be an end of it.

So, how about that?

tambothejambo

Aye thats right Gordon Brown and the labour goverment have nothing to do with the economic downturn

Colonel Kurtz

Speirs has written a small piece today about the Scotsmans mock indignation, he also refers to the Weedia as' con men based in the west of scotland"

A lot of the press reaction ids because Salmond chose Speirs and The Times and not some literary pygmy from The herald or The Scotsman.

Lord Dode of Basra"S reaction is a joke he must have been on the whisky again.

I note today that Lord Dode has written regarding RBOS non exec directors,he must be miffed at not getting on that gravy train

That's unfortunate.

Well said by Foulkes.

Whole hearted agree with you on this one.

Sadly as long as people protest against Labour there is no way back. Labour will get their erses felt at the next election as well. The Tories get back in down south and the SNP get an automatic boost for their independence nonsense.....

I actually think Salmond is a good politician, its just that his politics stink.

An independent Scotland led by him and his talentless parochial entourage...I cant bear thinking about

Anyway, its easy to slate Foulkes but I do think, where Hearts are concerned, his heart is in the right place

My father was a friend of Waldo and he always said that when they were closest (mid-70s to about 1990) he always suspected that for every grand Waldo had he had 999 quid of debt. He was the PR and his wife was the brains. He was apparently great fun though - a real character.

So in that respect Salmond may actually be right that he was not a "safe pair of hands" and Waldo was certainly colourful and a bit of a loose cannon.

However, nobody likes to hear someone speak ill of the dead, and I think Foulkes is just doing what a political rival does in such circumstances - make political capital out of it. I cannot respect that TBH.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Well said Foulkes. I've no time whatsoever for Salmond the Hearts "supporter".

He should mind his own business and stick to politics, he knows nothing about football.

Foulkes is an erse who the hell he think he is signalin out differences of Hearts fans not everyone has his lavish lifestyle and money i`ve two daughters and a son and they go about with there Hearts gear and proud of it as there is mostly OF up here and not afraid to do so but they don`t go to games unless its Aberdeen or ICT, like to see him tell them they`re not Hearts supporters or would he like to see them runnin aboot with Rangers tops or jackets anyone who advertise Hearts in anyway is good for the club.

Its political scoring on his part thats all cause he can`t match AS as a politition.

Foulkes says

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Salmond may be a Linlithgow boy, he may don a maroon and white scarf on Cup Final day, but it takes far more than that to be a true Hearts fan.

David McLetchie MSP, the former Tory leader, is a real fan, one who actually goes to the games, enjoys a civilised beer in the bars around the ground.

Mike Pringle, the Lib Dem stalwart, has never hidden his love for the club. He can often be seen at Holyrood bending someone's ear about Saturday's result.

I myself have a season ticket, attending as many games as I can be they home or away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foulkes if you read this boo uckin hoo

Never bothered reading the article. Foulkes has come out with a lot of rubbish since he left us. Couldn't care less about anything he has to say related to Hearts anymore.

Independence

Cheap, cheap politivcal points scoring by GF once again!!!!!

He should not be allowed to use his column in the EEN to peddle this drivel but then again the EEN and Scotsman are English controlled.

An attack on Gordon (I saved the world) Broon would be more apt but I won't hold my breath!

Independence

I may be wrong but I do not think that GF has always been a Hearts fan! I have no doubt that he is now but I am sure that he has only followed the Hearts for the last 20+ years. Maybe another KB poster can keep me right here.

If I am corredt then what team did GF support before he came to follow the Hearts?

Where was GF when we played Wolves in the Texaco Cup as detailed below by AS?

Would he have the time if he was First Minister (which there is as much chance of Hibs winning the Scottish Cup) to attend all Hearts games?

Pure political nonsense from GF once again!

Taken from a copy of the now defunct Hearts magazine the Beat earlier this year:

'An avid fan ever since he was old enough to say 'jambo', the 53 year old (Alex Salmond) recalls with fondness his first experiences of going along to Tynecastle with his father Robert "my first game would have been about 1959 and I remember it as my dad told me that willie Bauld......

In the late 1960's and 1970's I went to every game, home and away and even the reserve games played at Tynecastle....

I remember going to see Hearts in the Texaco Cup Final against Wolves at Molineux the day before my Chemistry Higher. I got back to Linlithgow about 730am and went straight out to do the exam at 0930am.......

If I was going to every game I would sound off more about Hearts but while I've done my time, Ill be lucky to see two games this season......

Having spent so long following Hearts I am entitled to speak about it but not being there now, I have to watch what I say........'

The above statements are just a few taken from an 8 page spread.

I do not agree with Mr Salmonds views about VR but he is allowed his opinions!

At least Mr Salmond has remained as First Minister and not left, as previous Labour incumbants have, mid term, some because of scandal.

Now scandal GF, there's a can of worms!!!!

I believe Lord Dode Farce started supporting the JTs around the time Chick Young stopped. No idea who he "supported" before, but perhaps we should ask Pat Nevin if it is unusual for an adult football fan to swap allegiances so easily.

Genuine question: when was the last time Alex Salmond was at a Hearts game?

I remember a couple of years ago one lazy journalist describing him as a "Jambos diehard." :56:

I may be wrong but I do not think that GF has always been a Hearts fan! I have no doubt that he is now but I am sure that he has only followed the Hearts for the last 20+ years. Maybe another KB poster can keep me right here.

If I am corredt then what team did GF support before he came to follow the Hearts?

Would he have the time if he was First Minister (which there is as much chance of Hibs winning the Scottish Cup) to attend all Hearts games?

Taken from a copy of the now defunct Hearts magazine the Beat earlier this year:

'An avid fan ever since he was old enough to say 'jambo', the 53 year old (Alex Salmond) recalls with fondness his first experiences of going along to Tynecastle with his father Robert "my first game would have been about 1959 and I remember it as my dad told me that willie Bauld......

In the late 1960's and 1970's I went to every game, home and away and even the reserve games played at Tynecastle....

I remember going to see Hearts in the Texaco Cup Final against Wolves at Molineux the day before my Chemistry Higher. I got back to Linlithgow about 730am and went straight out to do the exam at 0930am.......

If I was going to every game I would sound off more about Hearts but while I've done my time, Ill be lucky to see two games this season......

Having spent so long following Hearts I am entitled to speak about it but not being there now, I have to watch what I say........'

At least Mr Salmond has remained as First Minister and not left, as previous Labour incumbants have, mid term, some because of scandal.

did you cut and paste this?

Stan Macleod

Foulkes does not like Hearts he only likes himself. He will however use any vehicle to try raise his image and ego. Hearts are one of these vehicles

My god is there any support that likes dissing its own supporters like we do ,bet you the plastic paddies and hibs infiltrators on this board laugh there arses off at some off the comments on this board

For the record lord George never took a salary while chairman of hearts

He continued to buy his season ticket in the Wheatfield stand even though he was and is entitled to a free seat as a former chairman unlike cpr

He masterfully outmaneuvered CPR at a shareholders meeting in order to buy the time for Mr. Romanov (whom he brought to the club) to save tynecastle and i.e. shut the hobos and there flats at tynecastle pish up

for those things ,plus his recent trip with mr meclechy to Celtic park to throw his protection round those put upon heroic fans who brave the mindless thuggery of strathclyde police and Celtic stewards ,he is a hero to me

as for the article I am surprised no one has commented on how the first ministers views were so close to those held by a significant amount of game attending jambos at the end of Mr. mercers reign (after his departure his popularity increased significantly)

Id bet though I have no proof of it apart from the fact I never have seen him at tynie that Alex salmond packed in going around this time and hence how he still holds those opinions on our late great chairman

Wonder what your political leanings are, Mr Nationalist. :mw_rolleyes:

Last night, I had a dream in which, leaving Tynecastle after a game, Alex Salmond came up to me and remarked, "I thought Michel Karipidis had a great game" and I was all like "His name is Hristos. :huh:"

I think that speaks for itself.

Archived