Official Match Thread - Dundee Hibernian v's Celtic

Toxteth O'Grady

Can't believe Hearts fans don't want our europa rivals to drop as many points as possible.

I do, tho it is nice when both sides of the old filth have crappy weekends!

Cant see the OF getting too many points after the split. Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen can all take points off them.

nice one.

People who want Dundee United to win need to have a word with themselves. Unless they are Rangers fans, in which case carry on.

this_is_my_story
good, 2-2, point a piece, everybody but a few are happy. I cannot believe any Hearts fan would want our nearest challengers for europe to win this?!?!

That's not really the issue, I just want to see the tims get beat, that's all. If we do get 3rd, it'll have been down to our own efforts over the whole of the season, with any game between Dundee United & Celtic - or anyone else for that matter - an irrelevance.

Drylaw Hearts
Can't believe Hearts fans don't want our europa rivals to drop as many points as possible.

It's completely bizarre.

We should be wanting Celtic to win, and win heavily.

If any clubs fans understand the importance of goal difference it should be Hearts.

Right I'm off to wash my mouth out with carbolic soap.

Chad Sexington

I would rather Utd had been beaten but I'll settle for them dropping the two points.

They are running out of games to catch us.

vintage1874

all in all not a bad weekend for the JT's, looking at the OF (both rubbish) makes you wonder where the Hearts would be if we had a couple of strikers all season.

this_is_my_story
yeah thats true but if we miss out by a point and united win today, bet youll be cursing sellik

Na, I'd be cursing other results - like those that should've, but didn't, go as they maybe should have for Hearts.

Chris Evans

I cant believe i actually clapped when it went 2-2. Im going to stand in the corner and have a word with myself.

winston churchill

next set of games

Saturday, 4 April 2009

Celtic v Hamilton, 15:00

Dundee Utd v Hibernian, 12:30

Hearts v Kilmarnock, 15:00

Inverness CT v St Mirren, 15:00

Motherwell v Aberdeen, 15:00

Sunday, 5 April 2009

Falkirk v Rangers, 14:00

A Hearts win and draws elsewhere in the next fixtures would be very nice, increase the gap to 7 with two games to the split

shaun.lawson

Just taking two weekends out of this particular season:

Weekend of 13 December 2008:

Celtic 1-1 Heart of Midlothian

Dundee United 2-2 Rangers

Weekend of 21/22 March 2009:

Rangers 2-2 Heart of Midlothian

Dundee United 2-2 Celtic

It's very encouraging; very good news for Scottish football. Together, the two of us can at least hope to challenge the floundering Old Firm in the seasons to come - and if our ultimate dream is ever to come true, we'll need other clubs to take points off them and soften them up.

Meanwhile, we're still five points clear, and third place is almost starting to beckon. Tremendous stuff.

A Hearts win and draws elsewhere in the next fixtures would be very nice, increase the gap to 7 with two games to the split

We should be looking to pick up 9 points as we have two home games and an away game to the bottom of the league before the split.

next set of games

Saturday, 4 April 2009

Celtic v Hamilton, 15:00

Dundee Utd v Hibernian, 12:30 D.utd win

Hearts v Kilmarnock, 15:00 Hearts win

Inverness CT v St Mirren, 15:00

Motherwell v Aberdeen, 15:00 Well win or draw

Sunday, 5 April 2009

Falkirk v Rangers, 14:00

Probably not much difference after the next round of games imo

Mac_fae_Gillie

We come thru this weekend as we went into it...

That'll do for me.

6 games in the SPL

5draws

only winner was the team at the bottom...very odd(been it was 4-0)

the two of us

There's no "us" Shaun.

They are Dungdeh Hibernians and are diametrically opposed to everything that Heart of Midlothian FC represents. Gorgie Rules.

shaun.lawson
There's no "us" Shaun.

They are Dungdeh Hibernians and are diametrically opposed to everything that Heart of Midlothian FC represents. Gorgie Rules.

If it wasn't for Aberdeen and Dundee United also being strong, it's questionable whether Hearts would've got as close to winning the league in 1986 as we did. The smaller the gap is between the OF and all of us, the better it is for Hearts.

blondejamtart

I always want both sides of the OF to get beat - except in situations when a win for either of them actually benefits us. Then, in those circumstances, as much as it pains me, I grit my teeth and let them get on with it! I may not actuallY WANT them to win - but I'll put up with it if it's in our interests.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
We should be wanting Celtic to win, and win heavily.

If any clubs fans understand the importance of goal difference it should be Hearts.

Right I'm off to wash my mouth out with carbolic soap.

Does that mean that, from now on, when any of us disagrees with you, we can claim you're talking a load of carbolics?

Ah'll get ma coat....

That'll do, would have settled for that at the start of the weekend. Due to the fixtures left, it helps us.

The Kilmarnock match is massive and we need to win it. Main aim for now is to try and maintain the five point lead till the split.

this_is_my_story
If it wasn't for Aberdeen and Dundee United also being strong, it's questionable whether Hearts would've got as close to winning the league in 1986 as we did. The smaller the gap is between the OF and all of us, the better it is for Hearts.

Not sure what you mean by that, Shaun - do you mean in terms of those two diddy teams taking points off the OF in 85/86, or just in general? That Hearts almost won the league in that season was solely due to Hearts efforts over the whole season, and nothing else.

I always want both sides of the OF to get beat - except in situations when a win for either of them actually benefits us. Then, in those circumstances, as much as it pains me, I grit my teeth and let them get on with it! I may not actuallY WANT them to win - but I'll put up with it if it's in our interests.

I gotta agree with you , i love hearts more than i hate celtic/rangers so i do occasionally want the OF to win.

shaun.lawson
Not sure what you mean by that, Shaun - do you mean in terms of those two diddy teams taking points off the OF in 85/86, or just in general? That Hearts almost won the league in that season was solely due to Hearts efforts over the whole season, and nothing else.

In 85/6, United beat Celtic three times, and drew with them the other time. Aberdeen beat Celtic once, and drew with them once. Hearts had an absolutely magnificent season, but under three points for a win, our final total would convert to 70 points from 36 games - that's less than two points a game, and less than our ratio for 1991/2, when crowds had collapsed by the end of the campaign.

To win the league, we need the whole division to be tighter. Achieving more than 80 points is, for a non-OF club, almost impossible - because money and squad strength talks. Having other clubs in contention completely changes the dynamic: the OF can't open up on them and can't take anything for granted. Psychologically, it makes a huge difference to their whole approach.

TBH I can never want either of the OF to win, good for us or not - it would be different if we were level on points with united in the last game but it's not near that point yet. I can't help it, i think it's the bias towards the OF in the media, it just makes me want every bad thing to happen to them that can.

this_is_my_story
In 85/6, United beat Celtic three times, and drew with them the other time. Aberdeen beat Celtic once, and drew with them once. Hearts had an absolutely magnificent season, but under three points for a win, our final total would convert to 70 points from 36 games - that's less than two points a game, and less than our ratio for 1991/2, when crowds had collapsed by the end of the campaign.

To win the league, we need the whole division to be tighter. Achieving more than 80 points is, for a non-OF club, almost impossible - because money and squad strength talks. Having other clubs in contention completely changes the dynamic: the OF can't open up on them and can't take anything for granted. Psychologically, it makes a huge difference to their whole approach.

Fair enough - but had we done what we needed to, i.e. gained at least a point on the final day, then we'd have been champions - again, due to our efforts over the whole season. Nothing to do with however many times any team, United or otherwise, had beaten Celtic. Regarding 2/3 points per win, it was 2 per win at that time - and as said, if we'd done what we'd had to, we'd have ended up with the highest tally in the table.

shaun.lawson
Fair enough - but had we done what we needed to, i.e. gained at least a point on the final day, then we'd have been champions - again, due to our efforts over the whole season. Nothing to do with however many times any team, United or otherwise, had beaten Celtic. Regarding 2/3 points per win, it was 2 per win at that time - and as said, if we'd done what we'd had to, we'd have ended up with the highest tally in the table.

Of course! No-one's arguing against that. Some seasons though, one or both of the OF charge away from everyone else, and that's that. To put it another way: Aston Villa were 4th in the EPL until recently because of their own efforts; but also because Arsenal had underperformed badly. Since Arsenal got their act together, Villa have been lost.

Unless you start any particular season with demonstrably the best squad, you need luck and for other things to go your way to win the league. The year Dundee United won it - 1982/3 - was one of the closest finishes on record: they finished on 56 points, Celtic and Aberdeen both on 55. Had either Celtic or Aberdeen been weaker, it's highly likely the other would've won the league; as it was, they effectively cut each other's throats.

this_is_my_story
Of course! No-one's arguing against that. Some seasons though, one or both of the OF charge away from everyone else, and that's that. To put it another way: Aston Villa were 4th in the EPL until recently because of their own efforts; but also because Arsenal had underperformed badly. Since Arsenal got their act together, Villa have been lost.

Unless you start any particular season with demonstrably the best squad, you need luck and for other things to go your way to win the league. The year Dundee United won it - 1982/3 - was one of the closest finishes on record: they finished on 56 points, Celtic and Aberdeen both on 55. Had either Celtic or Aberdeen been weaker, it's highly likely the other would've won the league; as it was, they effectively cut each other's throats.

Aye - because Villa's form has slipped badly!! Had that not been the case, they'd still have been above Arsenal on merit. As it is, Arsenal are now above Villa... on merit! Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get my point over.

Whilst I can almost see your point about Aberdeen and Celtic in 82/83 - the other side of the coin is that had one of them been weaker, they'd have finished lower down the table than the other (points wise), and Dundee United would've arguably still been champs. We could go round in circles on this one!

shaun.lawson
Aye - because Villa's form has slipped badly!! Had that not been the case, they'd still have been above Arsenal on merit. As it is, Arsenal are now above Villa... on merit! Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get my point over.

Whilst I can almost see your point about Aberdeen and Celtic in 82/83 - the other side of the coin is that had one of them been weaker, they'd have finished lower down the table than the other (points wise), and Dundee United would've arguably still been champs. We could go round in circles on this one!

Of course - it's all hypothetical, after all.

Buffalo Bill

A decent point for Utd which keeps the five-point status quo for them, as well as for us. I'm sure we'd have all been delighted with that scenario before the weekend.

The up-coming game v Killie is a massive game for us now; the sort we should be winning if we want third.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

Very pleasing that we have come through 2 very tricky away games at Fester & Ibrox with our points advantage intact - an opportunity to close the gap missed by Utd & Dons. :)

The next set of fixtures is huge. We should be looking to beat Killie at Tynecastle which would mean an increased advantage on at least 2 teams out of Utd, Sheep, Hobo's and Well and possibly 3 or 4 of them. 2 draws would be great and give us the chance to go 7 ahead with 7 left.

It's completely bizarre.

Indeed. Some folk seem to hate other teams more than they love Hearts. Don't care who wins and how they do it just as long as it works in our favour.

I would say that at the start of the weekend I would have happily took these set of results keeping our points advantage intact.

Killie is a big game right enough, but Utd are away to Hubs. Now here is another conundrum. Do you want Hubs to win?

Oh and the bad news is, we ALWAYS play crap after a lay off the national side.

Charlie-Brown
The next set of fixtures is huge. We should be looking to beat Killie at Tynecastle which would mean an increased advantage on at least 2 teams out of Utd, Sheep, Hobo's and Well and possibly 3 or 4 of them. 2 draws would be great and give us the chance to go 7 ahead with 7 left.

If Hearts, Motherwell & Hibs win next games we'd be 8 & 9 points ahead of the chasing pack with 7 left to play - that would be the biggest gap possible for us.....however it would be good for Motherwell & Hibs to draw so they too would move 11pts behind if we win. :)

Toxteth O'Grady

As predicted in my OP it was a close encounter.:sorcerer:

A satisfactory result for HMFC and we have survived a tricky weekend still 5 points clear in 3rd place intact.:cheesy:

good, 2-2, point a piece, everybody but a few are happy. I cannot believe any Hearts fan would want our nearest challengers for europe to win this?!?![/QUOTE]

I think that sums up a few Hearts fans on here.

They should look at the bigger picture.

this_is_my_story

I think that sums up a few Hearts fans on here.

They should look at the bigger picture.

So you're saying that you've never wanted to see a certain team lose (be it hibs, Celtic, Rangers or whoever else) in a game that Hearts weren't involved in?!

The bigger picture is, of course, Hearts hopefully finishing 3rd. As stated previously - ultimately this will be achieved by Hearts, and Hearts only, if we do end up 3rd. I honestly don't see what some folk find so difficult to understand about that. If we don't get third, we'll only have ourselves to blame, given the cushion that we now have - not Dundee United for failing to beat Celtic. Simple.

So you're saying that you've never wanted to see a certain team lose (be it hibs, Celtic, Rangers or whoever else) in a game that Hearts weren't involved in?!

The bigger picture is, of course, Hearts hopefully finishing 3rd. As stated previously - ultimately this will be achieved by Hearts, and Hearts only, if we do end up 3rd. I honestly don't see what some folk find so difficult to understand about that. If we don't get third, we'll only have ourselves to blame, given the cushion that we now have - not Dundee United for failing to beat Celtic. Simple.

The bigger picture is ( if you have followed Hearts for any length of time) is that we always feck things up. Therefore if we are dependant on other results then I always hope for the best for us. Every time our nearest rival for third get beat then I am happy. The draw today was by no means the best result for us but the status quo will do.

Hearts will never ( or so it seems) walk away with any league possision and will alway struggle through to the last minute. So IMHO the soon we can cement third, be it with or without help, so much the better.

I watched the game and, despite knowing that a Celtic win was best for us, I just couldn't bring myself to support them. I was worried at 2-1 and relieved that Celtic equalised but it would have been awful if they had sneaked a win at the end.

Basically, I just shouldn't have watched it I guess.

this_is_my_story
The bigger picture is ( if you have followed Hearts for any length of time) is that we always feck things up. Therefore if we are dependant on other results then I always hope for the best for us. Every time our nearest rival for third get beat then I am happy. The draw today was by no means the best result for us but the status quo will do.

Hearts will never ( or so it seems) walk away with any league possision and will alway struggle through to the last minute. So IMHO the soon we can cement third, be it with or without help, so much the better.

Fair enough... we're not though - we're the ones in pole position. We have the lead, and it's ours to throw away.

I watched the game and, despite knowing that a Celtic win was best for us, I just couldn't bring myself to support them. I was worried at 2-1 and relieved that Celtic equalised but it would have been awful if they had sneaked a win at the end.

Basically, I just shouldn't have watched it I guess.

You dont need to support them.

Its whats best for Hearts that counts at the end of the day.

sod everybody else.

Killie is a big game right enough, but Utd are away to Hubs. Now here is another conundrum. Do you want Hubs to win?

Oh and the bad news is, we ALWAYS play crap after a lay off the national side.

Not a conundrum at all. Of course I want Hibs to win against Dundee Utd because I want Hearts to finish 3rd (assuming we don't catch Rangers).

Archived