West Ham/Tevez/Sheff Utd Affair (non HMFC)

Midloth_Iain

Midloth_Iain

Just when you thought it the case had finished with the 2 clubs agreeing a settlement.

Now Warnock has decided to sue West Ham and has advised his players from that S.Utd squad to do likewise.

Will it ever end ? :7:

Warnock's totally bitter.

His team's inability to win a couple more points is the reason they got relegated, not Carlos Tevez.

Jambo Martin
Warnock's totally bitter.

His team's inability to win a couple more points is the reason they got relegated, not Carlos Tevez.

West Ham cheated!.................that`s why their paying compo!!

shaun.lawson
The whole saga is a complete joke.

Bet you wouldn't say that if it wasn't the Blades who were involved!

shaun.lawson

I disagree. Not on the dubiousness of Tevez' signing - but if you look at West Ham's fortunes in 2006/7, their results actually collapsed the moment they brought Tevez and Mascherano in, and didn't pick up until mid-March. I've always believed that had they never signed Tevez in the first place, they wouldn't have ended up in such a mess - and it was only late on that they finally benefited from him.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think Man Utd will pay tens of millions to a football agent for Tevez and either negotiate another loan or release him. A very murky affair from start to finish.

$ilvery_Moon
Bet you wouldn't say that if it wasn't the Blades who were involved!

I bet I would. Do you honestly think this has been handled well?

shaun.lawson
I bet I would. Do you honestly think this has been handled well?

Do goldfish smoke cigars? I'm ****ed off about this too mate. Look at West Ham's treatment and compare it with that of Luton or Bournemouth; then look at Sheffield United behaving like a greetin' bunch of money grabbing cocks.

In April 2005, Norwich led 3-1 at Palace only to be pegged back to 3-3, the equaliser coming from a penalty won by a disgusting, outrageous dive from Andy "Cheating *******" Johnson. Had we won that day, we'd have stayed up - and imagine how different our fortunes now could be if we had.

So should we sue Johnson? No. We went down because we weren't good enough. Sheffield United went down because they weren't good enough. The precedent being set here, especially in an age when EPL survival is worth such extraordinary amounts, is just horrific.

$ilvery_Moon
Do goldfish smoke cigars? I'm ****ed off about this too mate. Look at West Ham's treatment and compare it with that of Luton or Bournemouth; then look at Sheffield United behaving like a greetin' bunch of money grabbing cocks.

In April 2005, Norwich led 3-1 at Palace only to be pegged back to 3-3, the equaliser coming from a penalty won by a disgusting, outrageous dive from Andy "Cheating *******" Johnson. Had we won that day, we'd have stayed up - and imagine how different our fortunes now could be if we had.

So should we sue Johnson? No. We went down because we weren't good enough. Sheffield United went down because they weren't good enough. The precedent being set here, especially in an age when EPL survival is worth such extraordinary amounts, is just horrific.

Absolutely. The consequences of this are frightening. This could become a regular occurrence and it's largely the Premier League's fault. West Ham were already fined (a record fine at that as well) and that should have been that. They are bascially admitting that West Ham weren't punished enough when they punished them already and that they ****ed everything up.

United went down like you say because they weren't good enough. They didn't get enough points. If they had beaten Wigan at the Lane on the last day of the season they would have been fine. United ****ed up their 1 season Premier League stint no-one else was to blame. For them to blame their relegation on one man is completely ridiculous.

Did they complain about Tevez playing when they won 3-0 at Upton Park?

The pigs always said it was never about the money yet they've settled out of court?

I find the fact they are getting anything incredible. 10 points clear of relegation, they squander it, get relegated, blame someone else, whinge, stamp their trotters and squeal like the little piggies that they are, make themselves an embarassment to the entire football community, whinge some more, and end up getting some money.

Colin and some of the players are suing West Ham now as well for loss of earnings.

Unbelievable.

JT's & Irons

I think the term "Cheated" is a bit strong. Yeah West Ham f'd up, (Not for the first time, remember Manny Omoyimni costing us a place in a League Cup Final), but I don't think there was anything deliberate about it. We've been fined, twice, that should be it. Warnock is a fat a**e and needs to get a f'n life.

Warnock is a ******

He has a point though - imagine it was us and Rangers or Celtic, and the signing meant we only finished 2nd or 3rd, instead of 1st or 2nd and a huge difference to your career as a manager and earnings.

I'm sorry but i can't look at that thread title without thinking about the "Hitler was a Sheff Utd fan" youtube clip.Very funny.

the FA dealt with it, regardless of whether people agreed with the punishment or not.

warnock should be hauled up by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute. he's making a plum of himself

There's an excellent article on the Guardian about how far this could go, asking if the hot dog seller outside Bramall Lane will be sueing the Hammers for loss of takings.

SectionDJambo

Surely if Sheffield Utd get compensation, they should pay the players compensation from that.

They are the ones that didn't have to pay Premiership wages to the players after they were relegated. The compensation is for lost earnings, from which they would have had to pay their players. They also got the parachute payment.

They can't all keep going after West Ham, especially now they are owned by someone different.

So you disagree with my point that if Sheffield United had done their own job (winning the last game of the season would have been enough) they'd be ok.

Yes West Ham made a mistake but they were punished for it. Are we going to go back and take away all of Tevez's goals and assists and rework the league table as though he never existed that season? You'd be giving clubs money for their different league placings all over the place.

Why Sheffield United think they were the only club affected by Tevez is beyond me.

As I said before, they are bitter but need to accept the fact that their team was **** and that's why they got relegated.

There's an excellent article on the Guardian about how far this could go, asking if the hot dog seller outside Bramall Lane will be sueing the Hammers for loss of takings.

Aslo a picture of our very own Nads on page 5 under "did tevez factor ruin 20 players' careers?"

Their verdict?

"no Christian revival"

So you disagree with my point that if Sheffield United had done their own job (winning the last game of the season would have been enough) they'd be ok.

Yes West Ham made a mistake but they were punished for it. Are we going to go back and take away all of Tevez's goals and assists and rework the league table as though he never existed that season? You'd be giving clubs money for their different league placings all over the place.

Why Sheffield United think they were the only club affected by Tevez is beyond me.

As I said before, they are bitter but need to accept the fact that their team was **** and that's why they got relegated.

West Ham weren't punished properly though. If they had been deducted points, which any team outside the Premiership most certainly would have, then they'd have been relegated. Sheffield United having a chance to stay up anyway is irrelevant to the fact West Ham broke the rules and clearly benefitted from that, directly at teh expense of Sheffield United.

West Ham weren't punished properly though. If they had been deducted points, which any team outside the Premiership most certainly would have, then they'd have been relegated. Sheffield United having a chance to stay up anyway is irrelevant to the fact West Ham broke the rules and clearly benefitted from that, directly at teh expense of Sheffield United.

I'm still not convinced West Ham did much wrong, Tevez is still playing for Man U, he helped them win League and Champs League last season but he is still owned by a 3rd party rather than by Man U. Man U managed to get the wording right on his contract right, West Ham got it wrong, which they reported to the FA themselves when the new owners took over and discovered the mistake on his contract (youd think the FA would have checked when he was registered given their rules) but at the end of the day the situation is exactly the same. If Man U had got his contract wrong would they have been labelled as cheats and had to give back their trophies, as far I am aware the West Ham wording mistake only broke FA rules and not UEFA rules, so if they had made the same contract mistake Man U could only be punished on the domestic side.

If some git had not shattered Dean Ashton's ankle during England training West Ham would not have even needed Tevez and would probably not have been in relegation trouble, maybe West Ham should sue him or the FA the effect of that assault on Ashton's ankle.

I'm still not convinced West Ham did much wrong, Tevez is still playing for Man U, he helped them win League and Champs League last season but he is still owned by a 3rd party rather than by Man U. Man U managed to get the wording right on his contract right, West Ham got it wrong, which they reported to the FA themselves when the new owners took over and discovered the mistake on his contract (youd think the FA would have checked when he was registered given their rules) but at the end of the day the situation is exactly the same. If Man U had got his contract wrong would they have been labelled as cheats and had to give back their trophies, as far I am aware the West Ham wording mistake only broke FA rules and not UEFA rules, so if they had made the same contract mistake Man U could only be punished on the domestic side.

If some git had not shattered Dean Ashton's ankle during England training West Ham would not have even needed Tevez and would probably not have been in relegation trouble, maybe West Ham should sue him or the FA the effect of that assault on Ashton's ankle.

they knew they were not allowed to own the player as was, accepted this and told the FA that the third party agreement had been ripped up. if this was all they did, then I'd agree with you. but they hadn't ripped up the agreement and continued to play him illegally when they had already been told they couldn't.

They broke the rules and I still can't believe they weren't docked points because of it. Neither can they probably.

$ilvery_Moon

:biglaugh: Leeds may now be suing United.

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has confirmed that the club are seeking advice regarding a compensation claim, following the settlement'of the Carlos Tevez affair.

Sheffield United, who were relegated from the Premiership in 2007, have reached an out of court settlement with West Ham United regarding the involvement of Tevez during the latter stages of the 2006/07 season.

The Sheffield club had argued that Tevez was ineligible to play and an independent hearing ruled in favour of their claim for compensation, following relegation, from West Ham. The figure awarded to the Blades has not been disclosed publicly.

Sheffield United's relegation in 2007 saw Leeds United miss out on contingency payments in relation to Premiership survival for the transfers of Rob Hulse, Matthew Kilgallon, and Ian Bennett.

"We sold a number of players to Sheffield United with contingencies," the chairman told Yorkshire Radio. "When they got relegated on the last day of the season we missed out on a substantial sum.

"That's what we lost and if they are being compensated for their loss we believe we should be compensated for our loss.

"There are other clubs in the same boat who have similar claims.

"Ours is the biggest claim and it would be nice to collect that and strengthen our squad.

"We are currently taking advice on it and won't be commenting further at this time."

An interesting take by Gabriele Marcotti in the Times.

"Hey, here?s an idea. Sheffield United are getting ? depending who you believe ? between ?15 million and ?25 million in compensation from West Ham because the Hammers supposedly fielded an ineligible player (Carlos Tevez) and his presence on the pitch caused the Blades to be relegated.

Fine. So why don?t a bunch of clubs take legal action against Derby County? Back in 1999-2000, the Rams featured a striker named Esteban Fuertes. He only played in eight Premier League games (scoring one goal), but surely his presence somehow impacted the league, no? And surely the fact that he was working here thanks to a dodgy passport (Derby kicked him out when the truth emerged six months after his arrival) makes him an ineligible player, right?

Derby finished sixteenth that year, five points clear of relegation.

But they did tally eleven points in the eight games in which Fuertes played, surely he was responsible for some of them? Heck, if Fuertes hadn?t been around maybe Wimbledon, who finished eighteenth, wouldn?t have been relegated. And maybe Roman Abramovich would have bought them instead of Chelsea. Or, if that sounds far-fetched, maybe they would have had enough cash in the bank to avoid turning into MK Dons.

I?m not joking. Fuertes is the obvious case, but it?s well known he wasn?t the only one getting around EU employment law thanks to a dubious passport. There are at least half a dozen cases; you can do your own research on them, the web is a great thing.

As everyone supposedly jumps on the lawsuit bandwagon to make a few bob out of West Ham, it might be wise to ask why the East London club are paying for their supposed sins, but so many others got away scot free.

It may be even wiser to leave the lawyers to crawl back under their rocks and leave civil justice to deal with non-sporting issues."

:biglaugh: Leeds may now be suing United.

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has confirmed that the club are seeking advice regarding a compensation claim, following the settlement'of the Carlos Tevez affair.

Sheffield United, who were relegated from the Premiership in 2007, have reached an out of court settlement with West Ham United regarding the involvement of Tevez during the latter stages of the 2006/07 season.

The Sheffield club had argued that Tevez was ineligible to play and an independent hearing ruled in favour of their claim for compensation, following relegation, from West Ham. The figure awarded to the Blades has not been disclosed publicly.

Sheffield United's relegation in 2007 saw Leeds United miss out on contingency payments in relation to Premiership survival for the transfers of Rob Hulse, Matthew Kilgallon, and Ian Bennett.

"We sold a number of players to Sheffield United with contingencies," the chairman told Yorkshire Radio. "When they got relegated on the last day of the season we missed out on a substantial sum.

"That's what we lost and if they are being compensated for their loss we believe we should be compensated for our loss.

"There are other clubs in the same boat who have similar claims.

"Ours is the biggest claim and it would be nice to collect that and strengthen our squad.

"We are currently taking advice on it and won't be commenting further at this time."

Which United are they suing? Surely it should be Sheffield.

Now that they've been appropriately compensated by WHU they can use the money that they would have had if they'd stayed up to pay Leeds like they would have done had they stayed up.

This is all going too far though. Why couldn't they decide the original fine was all there was going to be and stop any of this nonesense ever occuring?

If we play Rangers for a third time at Ibrox this season could the Gorgie Fish Bar sue the SFA for loss of the earnings they would have had if we'd had them to Tynie for a second time?!

No, because **** happens. **** happened to Sheffield United, but not enough to cause them their EPL status. Their inability to secure enough points throughout the season got them relegated and now that WHU have given them compensation it should end there.

Anything else should be paid by Sheffield United from that money if they want to go down that route.

Just when you thought it the case had finished with the 2 clubs agreeing a settlement.

Now Warnock has decided to sue West Ham and has advised his players from that S.Utd squad to do likewise.

Will it ever end ? :7:

Did i hear that he played an understrength(told everyone beforehand that it would be an understrength team) team v Man Utd the season they were relegated????

$ilvery_Moon
Did i hear that he played an understrength(told everyone beforehand that it would be an understrength team) team v Man Utd the season they were relegated????

Perhaps Mr McCabe should sue Mr Warnock for being a rubbish manager and getting his team relegated?

Which United are they suing? Surely it should be Sheffield.

Now that they've been appropriately compensated by WHU they can use the money that they would have had if they'd stayed up to pay Leeds like they would have done had they stayed up.

This is all going too far though. Why couldn't they decide the original fine was all there was going to be and stop any of this nonesense ever occuring?

If we play Rangers for a third time at Ibrox this season could the Gorgie Fish Bar sue the SFA for loss of the earnings they would have had if we'd had them to Tynie for a second time?!

No, because **** happens. **** happened to Sheffield United, but not enough to cause them their EPL status. Their inability to secure enough points throughout the season got them relegated and now that WHU have given them compensation it should end there.

Anything else should be paid by Sheffield United from that money if they want to go down that route.

Sorry I meant Sheffield United. Being from Sheffield and a Wednesday fan I'm in the habit of just calling them United. :earmuffs: Or sometimes worse.

You are correct in saying it's not only United that are affected and that they could and perhaps should share their compensation money. What right do United have to claim it all? Fulham and Wigan both finished below West Ham and suffered a loss of money. All of the teams in the Premier League were 'cheated' by West Ham. What's to stop all of them feeling aggrieved?

You are bang on the money with everything you say. West Ham were punished and that should have been that. If United had a bone to pick with anyone it should have been the Premier League for the initial punishment. Since the EPL have bolloxed the whole thing up a whole new can of worms has been opened and it has frightening prescedents for the future.

Leeds will just be the beginning. Trust me. Warnock and the players are next in the queue for "loss of earnings". Where do you draw the line?

Groundsmen, stewards, contractors, or anyone at Bramall Lane who got sacked because of their relegation could sue for loss of earnings.

What is stopping United fans sueing stating that they are suffering depression, anxiety, and a worsening quality of life as the result of United being relegated?

Tony the programme seller on Bramall Lane could sue because he's selling less programmes now United have been relegated.

The city of Sheffield could sue for compensation because our shops, pubs, and other businesses have suffered reduced income due to reduced crowds.

Some of the above are obviously tongue in cheek but the whole thing is an absolute joke and the domino effect is only just starting.

This ridiculous judgement could also see the beginning of clubs suing referees and the authorities for bad decisions. Where does it all go from here?

Amusingly United could have a legal action case themselves to face if our and their local rivals Barnsley go down this year. Barnsley have already talked about the possibility of doing it if the situation arises. Chris Morgan's elbow put Ian Hume their record signing striker out for the whole season.

Surely that then too entitles them to sue for loss of earnings and points?

Sheffield United have dragged their name through the gutter by taking this through the court room becoming an embarrassment to Sheffield and to the rest of the football world.

Football should be played ON THE FIELD and NOT in the court room. They were relegated fairly and squarely because they didn't get enough points to stay up. A judgement was passed and it should have been final. They should have got nothing.

Perth to Paisley

Christian Nade was a Shef Utd player and would be one of those claiming therefore it is a Hearts related thread.

Perhaps Mr McCabe should sue Mr Warnock for being a rubbish manager and getting his team relegated?

Sorry I meant Sheffield United. Being from Sheffield and a Wednesday fan I'm in the habit of just calling them United. :earmuffs: Or sometimes worse.

Funnily enough I assumed you must have been referring to WHU because I thought you would have called Sheffield United something worse!

I think I may join you as a fan of the Owls when it comes to Sheffield derbies just because this culture of compensation claims we now live in really ****es me off.

:sunny:

I find it a bit odd that his buddy Mascherano has never been on the radar in this whole 3rd party ownership caper ?

$ilvery_Moon
Funnily enough I assumed you must have been referring to WHU because I thought you would have called Sheffield United something worse!

I think I may join you as a fan of the Owls when it comes to Sheffield derbies just because this culture of compensation claims we now live in really ****es me off.

:sunny:

:smile: Welcome aboard and a wise choice. Sheffield Wednesday - Officially and historically the most successful football club in Yorkshire.

:biglaugh: At the above game at the Lane in February we sang to them "Blame it on Tevez. You're going to blame it on Tevez" just before the final whistle. A thouroughly enjoyable day, both goals were crackers, a great result, and I managed to not get covered in **** from the pig tossers in the above tier this year as we were sat right at the back!

$ilvery_Moon

Fulham are now looking to sue for the prize money they missed out on. Wigan will now surely do the same. What a nonsense.

Archived