Victor Anichebe arrested

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/12/victor-anichebe-police-detained-jewellers-apology-everton

"Cheshire Police would not answer alleged comments from the pair that white men would not have received the same treatment". Because, err, it goes without saying? Pretty shocking, IMO. The guy was in a leg cast, for god's sake!

colinmaroon

How wonderful that we live in Scotland where there are absolutely no xenophobic tendencies!!!

Was he arrested? The police saw two people who fitted the description of suspects accused of a series of violent crimes, and once it was ascertained that they were not engaged in criminal activity, no action was taken.

I can't see Amnesty International taking the case on, just yet.

Was he arrested? The police saw two people who fitted the description of suspects accused of a series of violent crimes, and once it was ascertained that they were not engaged in criminal activity, no action was taken.

I can't see Amnesty International taking the case on, just yet.

Storm in a tea cup, a complete non story.

Appalling.

What I find appalling is that the people who criticise the police in this situation are the same people who would criticise them for not taking pre-emptive action if a robbery had taken place.

What I find appalling is that the people who criticise the police in this situation are the same people who would criticise them for not taking pre-emptive action if a robbery had taken place.

True, but what was to stop the police simply asking for ID and what they were doing? Just how do you act suspiciously looking in a window?

I am sure they have a point in that would a white couple be treated in the same way? If this can happen to a high profile footballer what chance would a " normal" guy have?

True, but what was to stop the police simply asking for ID and what they were doing? Just how do you act suspiciously looking in a window?I am sure they have a point in that would a white couple be treated in the same way? If this can happen to a high profile footballer what chance would a " normal" guy have?

By fitting a description given by a victim or a member of the public from previous such robberies or other intelligence gathered by the police.

By fitting a description given by a victim or a member of the public from previous such robberies or other intelligence gathered by the police.

"He's a darkie, officer!"

"That'll do. You're nicked sonny!"

:detective:

"He's a darkie, officer!"

"That'll do. You're nicked sonny!"

:detective:

EH4 - the thinking man's post code.:biglaugh:

I am sure they have a point in that would a white couple be treated in the same way?

A related point (or question, rather) would be "would a white couple have matched the same description as said suspects"?

Knutsford isn't far from me and apart from a series of highly embarrasing robberies of rich footballers I don't recall much happening - certainly not on the jewellery front.

It's interesting that the police say that there has been a 'series of violent robberies' in Knutsford (which is about the size of Penicuick). Their own local Plod only reports the following :

Seven charged in case affecting Cheshire?s farming community.

Cheshire Police have charged seven men after an extensive investigation following a

spate of high value thefts from farms across the County. The seven men are due to appear

in court on Vale Royal Magistrates court on 5th March 2009...

Knutsford Jewellery Robbery ? Three Questioned

Three men have been arrested and questioned in connection with a robbery

at a jewellers shop in Knutsford earlier this month.

So , that's one robbery for which 3 guys have already been arrested ?

No doubt Anichebe has a good brief acting for him.

alwaysthereinspirit
A related point (or question, rather) would be "would a white couple have matched the same description as said suspects"?

Only is one wore a leg cast.:qqb003:

Carl Spackler

It says a great deal about people's prejudices that they believe race was an issue in this matter at all.

Knutsford isn't far from me and apart from a series of highly embarrasing robberies of rich footballers I don't recall much happening - certainly not on the jewellery front.

It's interesting that the police say that there has been a 'series of violent robberies' in Knutsford (which is about the size of Penicuick). Their own local Plod only reports the following :

Seven charged in case affecting Cheshire?s farming community.

Cheshire Police have charged seven men after an extensive investigation following a

spate of high value thefts from farms across the County. The seven men are due to appear

in court on Vale Royal Magistrates court on 5th March 2009...

Knutsford Jewellery Robbery ? Three Questioned

Three men have been arrested and questioned in connection with a robbery

at a jewellers shop in Knutsford earlier this month.

So , that's one robbery for which 3 guys have already been arrested ?

No doubt Anichebe has a good brief acting for him.

These are robberies which HAVE happened. Police also act on intelligence and by doing as they did with Anichebe (and mate), who knows how many robberies they prevented.

Archived