Barmy Blatter

Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

How's this for a stupid statement (from the BBC Sports site today) by Blatter

Blatter also believes that the England's top flight has an unhealthy imbalance of power, with only a handful of clubs contesting the title.

"In a competition where two-thirds or three-quarters of the participants in the league play not to be first, but not to be relegated, there is something wrong," he added.

This doesn't happen in Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Scotland etc does it?

Blatter also believes that the England's top flight has an unhealthy imbalance of power, with only a handful of clubs contesting the title.

"In a competition where two-thirds or three-quarters of the participants in the league play not to be first, but not to be relegated, there is something wrong," he added.

I actually thought that this one of Blatter's (comparatively) saner moments. I think many would agree there is also something wrong with Scottish football, and Lyon's relentless, annual march to Ligue 1 is pretty unhealthy, but the competition is a lot healthier in the other 3 big leagues he mentions.

alwaysthereinspirit

Make up your mind Seth. Is it 2/3 or 3/4.

The mans a t!t. There are way worse problems in world football than who wins the English Premier.

Charlie-Brown

Yes the SKY TV money for the Premier League is a much bigger problem that has helped create a huge imbalance in football.

Prince Buaben

Think that its just Sepp Blatter doesnt like english football.

marshallschunkychicken
I actually thought that this one of Blatter's (comparatively) saner moments. I think many would agree there is also something wrong with Scottish football, and Lyon's relentless, annual march to Ligue 1 is pretty unhealthy, but the competition is a lot healthier in the other 3 big leagues he mentions.

The funny thing is that Lyon's domination is a very recent thing - they won the league for the very first time in 2002, and have retained it ever since.

The Scottish divison is actually more competative with 16%(2 teams) of the teams able to win the title, the EPL only has 15%(3 teams) with the ability to win the title.

The Champions League has destroyed leagues throughout Europe. I think Blatter sort of has a point, he hasn't put it across very well.

English football is dull, give me the Spanish League any day.

Archived