2005 - and Vlad kept Robbo as manager ....what if ?

jbee647

its summer 2005 and vlad offers Robbo a new 3 year deal to manage Hearts, Robbo is given a budget to bring in his own players, a very decent budget compared to the other non old-firm clubs.

On Robbos wish list is David McNamee and Burton O'Brien from Livingston , Barry Robson from Dundee Utd, Scott Macdonald from Motherwell as well as permanent deals for Lee Miller and Mark Burchill, this added to existing talents like Craig Gordon ,Paul Hartley, Stephen Pressley and Andy Webster, Hearts are everyones favourites to finish third.

fast forward 4 years, with hindsight would we all now have accepted this ?

If Vlad had decided to go down this route, what do we genuinley believe our situation would be now ?

And would we have sacrificed the Cup win of 2006 and the subsequent roller coaster ?

its summer 2005 and vlad offers Robbo a new 3 year deal to manage Hearts, Robbo is given a budget to bring in his own players, a very decent budget compared to the other non old-firm clubs.

On Robbos wish list is David McNamee and Burton O'Brien from Livingston , Barry Robson from Dundee Utd, Scott Macdonald from Motherwell as well as permanent deals for Lee Miller and Mark Burchill, this added to existing talents like Craig Gordon ,Paul Hartley, Stephen Pressley and Andy Webster, Hearts are everyones favourites to finish third.

If Vlad had decided to go down this route, what do we genuinley believe our situation would be now ?

And would we have sacrificed the Cup win of 2006 and the subsequent roller coaster ?

No danger, long temr I do not think Robbo would take us anyway, as much of a player he was for us. Many great players are pish managers for the club they were great at.

It's one of those "if my aunty had baws she'd be my uncle" scenarios.

Vlad is what he is, and whether it had been Robbo or Burley neither would've seen out the autumn.

If Sheikh Mohammed buys us tomorrow then we'll be at his mercy too.

Buffalo Bill

Look at the fat fin down at fester road mate + how that's ended up r.e ex players going back to manage the clubs they were at.

I would rather have Robbo as a legend as a player in my eyes, Rather than a manger just incase it never worked out, if I am honest + as much as I loved the wee man as a player + I don't think he would cut it as a manager afer what I seen before when he was in charge maybe at a smaller club yes.

I would have the wee man back straight away as a coach etc, but not a manager.

Lets remember Robbo the legend as a player.......

Look at the fat fin down at fester road mate + how that's ended up r.e ex players going back to manage the clubs they were at.

I would rather have Robbo as a legend as a player in my eyes, Rather than a manger just incase it never worked out, if I am honest + as much as I loved the wee man as a player + I don't think he would cut it as a manager afer what I seen before when he was in charge maybe at a smaller club yes.

I would have the wee man back straight away as a coach etc, but not a manager.

Lets remember Robbo the legend as a player.......

Agreed

It's one of those "if my aunty had baws she'd be my uncle" scenarios.

Vlad is what he is, and whether it had been Robbo or Burley neither would've seen out the autumn.

If Sheikh Mohammed buys us tomorrow then we'll be at his mercy too.

Buffalo Bill

but at that time we never realised how mad , vlad actually was, i realise its all ifs and buts, however if Robbo had been given time, say a season, things would have different, im only wondering how others imagine it would have worked out in this particular scenario, if Robbo had been given the job long term, then we would never have had Burley and all the expensive foreign imports, and its unlikely we would have had that fantastic autumn of 2005 , which raised expectations amongst Jambos thru the richter scale, and the subsequent feeling of anti-climax that many of us are suffering from almost 4 years later, we will be saying What If ?, for years to come.

so...all im asking is What if Robbo had been given time instead of hiring Burley, how do we imagine/think it would have panned out for us ?

but at that time we never realised how mad , vlad actually was, i realise its all ifs and buts, however if Robbo had been given time, say a season, things would have different, im only wondering how others imagine it would have worked out in this particular scenario, if Robbo had been given the job long term, then we would never have had Burley and all the expensive foreign imports, and its unlikely we would have had that fantastic autumn of 2005 , which raised expectations amongst Jambos thru the richter scale, and the subsequent feeling of anti-climax that many of us are suffering from almost 4 years later, we will be saying What If ?, for years to come.

so...all im asking is What if Robbo had been given time instead of hiring Burley, how do we imagine/think it would have panned out for us ?

Well to attempt to answer that I'd have to say he probably wouldn't have been given the time!

But say he did:

Vlad would've still have had his tilt at the Champions League (qualifying) in 05/06 and would've wanted his say until we were left with the scenario we all endured in 07/08 with a broken club. No matter who was in charge, I think things would've panned out more or less the same - minus the Scottish Cup you've taken away from us.

If Robbo had somehow escaped the sack then it would've been because he had obtained nude pictures of Rodney or something!

Buffalo Bill

Always a difficult question. For me Roberston was a bit better than Frail but not greatly, and Romanov was right to look for something better. Burley being kept on is a better question (though obviously covered fully at great length previously).

Unfortunately we can't go back and I'd rather concentrate all discussion on Robbo as a player! on Lazlo as a manager, but it is hard not to look back.

You know something? :th_cool:

Only that you should never play leap-frog with a unicorn.

Buffalo Bill

Archived