What do you know about the MLS? (NHR)

Red 23

Hey guys,

I am a Hearts fan, but also a sports journalist - at present I am travelling round the States and having a look at 'soccer' over here.

I have started a blog - http://insidesoccerusa.blogspot.com/ - so have a look, and any comments are really welcome.

You can also visit my website - http://www.insidesoccerusa.com

I'd appreciate any feedback - whether you like, dislike or don't know about the US soccer setup - any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Help out a fellow Jambo today!!

Cheers

I listen to the podcasts of the world football phone in on Radio 5, which provides an overview of African & North/South American FOOTBALL. This might give you an idea of how it is portrayed to a UK audience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/wf/

I also attended USA vs. Argentina & USA vs. Columbia games at the last copa america, when the USA were absolutely bloody awful. Met a handful of their fans over there and heard some of their views over a few beers.

Hey guys,

I am a Hearts fan, but also a sports journalist - at present I am travelling round the States and having a look at 'soccer' over here.

I have started a blog - http://insidesoccerusa.blogspot.com/ - so have a look, and any comments are really welcome.

You can also visit my website - http://www.insidesoccerusa.com

I'd appreciate any feedback - whether you like, dislike or don't know about the US soccer setup - any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Help out a fellow Jambo today!!

Cheers

I think the majority of Scottish fans dont really care about the MLS,me being one of them.

It interests me as much as it interests the Yanks...no interest at all.

I'm over in Toronto every year and have taken in a couple of Toronto FC games. The football standard is lower SPL, Upper Div One standard. They have a tidy stadium which generally plays to a sell out 20,000+ crowd every home game.

The fans are passionate, without the hatred. It's a real family friendly atmosphere, a day out as apposed to pub-game-abuse-pub. Lots to entertain the kids before and during the game and you can have a few beers delivered to your seat!

Has to be one of the best football experiences I've ever had. Except winning the Scottish Cup and beating the Hobos.

We could learn a lot from their set up. Toronto FC rule OK!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I went to a Columbus Crew v Dallas game in the summer and it was a great laugh!

Makes such a difference being able to have a pint in the sunshine and enjoying a game.They do daft wee things like if there is a booking for the opposition, someone in the crowd wins a 50 dollar voucher. Very American. :laugh:

Standard was about SPL standard but was made much more bearable by the cheerleaders, beer and fun offers that they put on during the game.

Cost about 6 quid for a great seat. We sat in with the 'Ultras' who sang for the entire 90 minutes and it was like a standing section which was brilliant. Only problem was in the ground I saw 2 tims and a family of huns were sitting behind me!:mad:

Also saw a guy in an LA Galaxy top, which was a bit weird!

Our game could learn a lot from the forward thinking yanks!

I know that Steve Nicol is the longest serving coach (New England Revolution)

Also that Mo Johnston is involved with one of the teams (Kansas City Wizards?)

Also, that contrary to what people assume, it's the fastest growing sport in the States, but many of the fans are used to US sports where there is (almost) always a winner from the game (NFL, baseball, basketball), so are sometimes frustrated with draws...

I took in an MLS game last year also bought a strip for the occasion

FC Dallas v Colarado game finished 1-1 at pizza hut park

It was okay I was staying in dallas at the time.

Good match not a great standard to be honest couple of good player son show

Watched a bit when over there. None of the "anglo" americans I know give a sh*t - they think it is a game for mexicans, schoolkids and girls.

I, on the other hand, can't stand basketball, baseball or American football - so you can't please everyone.

alwaysthereinspirit

As stated in an earlier post it is much more family orientated. We go to Revolution games and it's all catered to the kids. My daughter plays high school soccer and they go to 1 or 2 games a season as a team. All the girls wear their school team jackets as do 20 or more other schools on the same night. Never any trouble.

The coaches and players take it more serious than the fans. Due to the size of the country most games are home based fans, not a lot of travelling fans in America but thats the same for most sports bar a few local rivalries.

All in all a good Friday or Saturday night out. Nothing more.

Darren Huckerby won Best Newcomer award for his starring role with San Jose Earthquakes. Take that Mr Roeder!

Hagar the Horrible

I used to watch it while on night shift, around the same time as Mo Jo was still playing. a few things to note:

does anybody care on stats for throw ins?

Why is the away team named first?

why does the clock tick down?

the penalty box is not a shooting zone, you can shoot from anywhere!

why don't soccer mums go to real soccer games I would emigrate at a shout.

Although the fans have a really honking repertoire of songs, DC United fans did rip into Celtic big time....priceless:laugh:

DC United have the best fans in the league by a mile and the atmosphere at their games is good, better for regular home games than Tynecastle or Upton Park, in fact, but not nearly as good for 'big' games.

About half the DC fans are Hispanic and they bring along the drums and much of the atmosphere. However a good chunk of them started hating DC when they chose to sell some El Salvadorian players ...

As for the standard in the league, I suggest we start our comparisons by looking at how the USA has performed in the last five world cups, against how Scotland has performed in said tournaments. And let's not have any guff about how easy it is for the US to qualify; it is what they've done once they get there that I'm talking about.

DC United had more skill in their team at its prime than you are likely to see in any SPL team any time ... but the passion and commitment that characterise the Scottish game is missing from most MLS fixtures.

is it not a bit wierd that the teams that these players actually play for dont own them?

there contract is held by the MLS so dont see how a club could make profit from selling a player

I used to watch it while on night shift, around the same time as Mo Jo was still playing. a few things to note:

does anybody care on stats for throw ins?

Why is the away team named first?

why does the clock tick down?

the penalty box is not a shooting zone, you can shoot from anywhere!

why don't soccer mums go to real soccer games I would emigrate at a shout.

Although the fans have a really honking repertoire of songs, DC United fans did rip into Celtic big time....priceless:laugh:

Were these the guys who were sining 'Where in Ireland is Glasgow' at a Man U friendly a few yeards back ? :D:laugh:

The only thing I know about MLS is Beckham earns a kings ransom in a league where the average salary is about $40K.

Went to see San Jose Earthquakes V Dallas Burn a few years back. Six bucks to get in, $1 hotdogs and beer, so all in all not a bad night out.

I remember that the corner kicks, yellow and red cards were all sponsored and the PA announcer played a jingle every time one of these was awarded.

Dallas won 1-0 I think and Brandon Donavon missed a pen from SJ.

:tongue:

Went to see San Jose Earthquakes V Dallas Burn a few years back. Six bucks to get in, $1 hotdogs and beer, so all in all not a bad night out.

I remember that the corner kicks, yellow and red cards were all sponsored and the PA announcer played a jingle every time one of these was awarded.

Dallas won 1-0 I think and Brandon Donavon missed a pen from SJ.

:tongue:

is that Landon Donavons brother? lol

I live in Los-Angeles and I have been to see the Galaxy a couple of times last year- which was particularly pointless b'cos we only went to see Beckham and the fecker wasn't playing!!

I do not understand how any one can compare MLS to the SPL or any European or South American league.

For starters the quality of the "soccer" isn't there. (Even my Missus could spot that) the players aren't prepared to make lung bursting runs or put in big tackles.

But what got me was that there is no anticipation or build up before the game. The lack of passion is reflected in the fans who wonder around eating hot dogs or checking out the sponsors tents . Most of the crowd seemed to be tourists, there were loads of Japanese folk wearing Nakamura Celtic strips (- Yuck)I didn't see one drunk person and that ****es me off(for some reason, don't know why I should associate drinking to fitba but I do) And no one was singing.

I think this lack of passion is because the league isn't set up properly. They don't have a transfer system like we do. It makes the players less ambitious. They don't have a centralized league like we do.

The other thing is the game isn't well established. It's not an american invention, and it's been around for much longer in Europe. And this makes Americans feel unconfident about their product. Every time there was a yellow card the announcer told us a 'foul card' had been given etc. At half time there was a band playing in the hospitality area. The band continued playing during the second half and the players had to stop the game to get the band to shut up b'cos it was so distracting.

I know there are some teams that have a small group of vocal followers and there is Chivas that is a good team ( and Drew Busby played for Toronto so they must be ok) but the rest is disappointing. i'd rather listen to grumpy auld men moan about hearts in the rain at Tynie than sit around like Willie groundskeeper Willie surrounded by a bunch of Homer Simpsons watching a bunch of guys make shapes with a soccer ball. IMHO.

J.T.F.Robertson
I know that Mo Johnston is now sporting a fake American accent and he sounds like a right muppet.

:mw_rolleyes:

He's also getting as big as a(n American) hoose. :)

I keep as far away from it as possible. Its athletic, without the contact, low in skill and strangely flat. The commentating is so bad. Its as vanilla as I have ever seen football.

I keep as far away from it as possible. Its athletic, without the contact, low in skill and strangely flat. The commentating is so bad. Its as vanilla as I have ever seen football.

And what would you know about the game being a woman. :o)

Jimmy McNulty
I'm over in Toronto every year and have taken in a couple of Toronto FC games. The football standard is lower SPL, Upper Div One standard. They have a tidy stadium which generally plays to a sell out 20,000+ crowd every home game.

The fans are passionate, without the hatred. It's a real family friendly atmosphere, a day out as apposed to pub-game-abuse-pub. Lots to entertain the kids before and during the game and you can have a few beers delivered to your seat!

Has to be one of the best football experiences I've ever had. Except winning the Scottish Cup and beating the Hobos.

Could not have put it better myself. Toronto IS a FOOTBALL city!!

Jimmy McNulty
I live in Los-Angeles and I have been to see the Galaxy a couple of times last year- which was particularly pointless b'cos we only went to see Beckham and the fecker wasn't playing!!

I do not understand how any one can compare MLS to the SPL or any European or South American league.

For starters the quality of the "soccer" isn't there. (Even my Missus could spot that) the players aren't prepared to make lung bursting runs or put in big tackles.

But what got me was that there is no anticipation or build up before the game. The lack of passion is reflected in the fans who wonder around eating hot dogs or checking out the sponsors tents . Most of the crowd seemed to be tourists, there were loads of Japanese folk wearing Nakamura Celtic strips (- Yuck)I didn't see one drunk person and that ****es me off(for some reason, don't know why I should associate drinking to fitba but I do) And no one was singing.

I think this lack of passion is because the league isn't set up properly. They don't have a transfer system like we do. It makes the players less ambitious. They don't have a centralized league like we do.

The other thing is the game isn't well established. It's not an american invention, and it's been around for much longer in Europe. And this makes Americans feel unconfident about their product. Every time there was a yellow card the announcer told us a 'foul card' had been given etc. At half time there was a band playing in the hospitality area. The band continued playing during the second half and the players had to stop the game to get the band to shut up b'cos it was so distracting.

I know there are some teams that have a small group of vocal followers and there is Chivas that is a good team ( and Drew Busby played for Toronto so they must be ok) but the rest is disappointing. i'd rather listen to grumpy auld men moan about hearts in the rain at Tynie than sit around like Willie groundskeeper Willie surrounded by a bunch of Homer Simpsons watching a bunch of guys make shapes with a soccer ball. IMHO.

Thats beacuse its LA. Toronto would be a much better experience.

Hello from Sherman Oaks.

Agree with a lot of that but the standard has improved since I started watching the odd Galaxy game five years back. The league system is a mess - you've got to be so fekkin useless not to qualify for the play-offs, bit like the Galaxy then - but MLS has done well to survive. There's now so many playing the game at junior level that it's really only a question of time before the league gets to a much higher standard.

I'm confident the US will win the World Cup in my lifetime.

I expect that will happen too. The US are stuck at a glass ceiling at present, making progress beyond the last 16 or quarters at a World Cup highly unlikely in the short term - but longer term, the game will grow exponentially over there as the Hispanicisation of the country continues. Meaning the States will eventually have a team combining European strength with Latin artistry: a heady mix.

I have a season ticket to Toronto FC and it's a good time. Not a great standard, but decent, and it is a team to follow in the summer. 2400 of us went 6 hours to a league match last year, so there's good support (for some teams). The fans are from all walks and all backgrounds. It's good fun.

I know that Steve Nicol is the longest serving coach (New England Revolution)

Also that Mo Johnston is involved with one of the teams (Kansas City Wizards?)

Also, that contrary to what people assume, it's the fastest growing sport in the States, but many of the fans are used to US sports where there is (almost) always a winner from the game (NFL, baseball, basketball), so are sometimes frustrated with draws...

Mo is Director of Football with Toronto FC these days.

vancouverjambo
I have a season ticket to Toronto FC and it's a good time. Not a great standard, but decent, and it is a team to follow in the summer. 2400 of us went 6 hours to a league match last year, so there's good support (for some teams). The fans are from all walks and all backgrounds. It's good fun.

Wasn't that the season opener against Chicago. I watched that game. The standard of football was **** poor - you know its bad when Danny Dichio (sp?) is your best striker. The passion of the Toronto fans though was great. If Vancouver is awarded a franchise next year I'll be getting a season ticket and hoping we can generate as good an atmosphere as Toronto.

Wasn't that the season opener against Chicago. I watched that game. The standard of football was **** poor - you know its bad when Danny Dichio (sp?) is your best striker. The passion of the Toronto fans though was great. If Vancouver is awarded a franchise next year I'll be getting a season ticket and hoping we can generate as good an atmosphere as Toronto.

Worse, it was the season opener against Columbus (who went on to win the league). TFC should be better this year if they can get a good centre-half in. Adding DeRo has a lot of fans here looking forward to the season.

I'm hoping Vancouver gets a team. You deserve it after being the keepers of the flame for so many years.

And what would you know about the game being a woman. :o)

Originally Posted by VeraNT

William - as I said - low in skill and strangely flat.

Hello from Sherman Oaks.

Agree with a lot of that but the standard has improved since I started watching the odd Galaxy game five years back. The league system is a mess - you've got to be so fekkin useless not to qualify for the play-offs, bit like the Galaxy then - but MLS has done well to survive. There's now so many playing the game at junior level that it's really only a question of time before the league gets to a much higher standard.

David - ma boy - what have you been drinking? I have had some contact with the Olympic Development Program and it shows what the U.S. values in football - churning out metronomes. They have no ****ing clue. It is like computers are in charge of development.

When we lived in Belgium and we had some contact with a local club that was a feeder for PSV, the youth coach had this idea based around "that boy is an athlete but not a footballer". These ODP people have another mantra - that boy is an athlete and therefor a "soccer player".

Here is where it goes wrong as well. The US youth league seasons shut down between Thanksgiving and the start of March. Why? Cause all the kids are off playing basketball and american football and the "soccer" teams can't maintain a squad. The only exception are the Latino teams as the kids don't give a **** about daft american sports. Now extrapolating that piece of data - the only hope for US "soccer" reaching truly global heights is for it to become truly Latino. That is like saying you expect Mexico to win the world cup before you join me at the "Diggers in the Sky".

BYW - there is another Jambo in L.A.

I wish we had such a diverse range of spectator sports to choose from as North America does. Not just fitba, rugby and golf, which seem to be the 'main' interests for the male person in Scotland. I have family here who follow the Murrayfield ice hockey team and people think they are weird. Why so I ask myself? Just because it's different, out of the norm?

For me, gone are the days of going to the pub before and after a game at Tynie. The reason is: I'm fed up listening to slavering drunks being negative about everything HMFC, (Scottish negative mentality). I can go to the pub and slaver any time I want!

Add that to the annual battle Hearts have with media and the domination by the BIGOTED Old Firm since, well...... always, means we are watching one of the most uncompetitive leagues in the world.

I prefer entertainment that is why the times I've seen Toronto FC it has been so refreshing. Maybe the standard of football isn't as good however Toronto will improve with time and patience. They have only had a short time playing in the MLS. Their home attendance figures have already surpassed most of the other MLS teams, (and Hearts). Their is NO bigotry and there doesn't appear to be the ingrained hatred of opposition teams, meaning opposing fans sit in the same sections with no segregation, (as I witnessed).

Toronto is a football city, with large Greek and Italian communities and a spattering of Scots and Irish. So Toronto people DO CARE about 'soccer'.

There is plenty of atmosphere in the Toronto stadium, just different from from Tynie. In a kind of naive way they've perhaps adopted the 'razza-matazz' which goes along with NFL, NBA, baseball and ice hockey.

"THIS IS OUR HOUSE!"

P.S. I'M NOT A HOBO. I'M A ST HOLDER, SHAREHOLDER, BEEN ATTENDING TYNIE FOR 31 YEARS.

First off, I'm biased cos I work for the NY Red Bulls. In the 3 years I've been over there the league has improved noticeably in terms of quality.

As someone mentioned, the ODP is an absolute joke, all they do is take the best athletes, tall, strong, fit and teach them how to play a certain position and that's it.

The Red Bulls have started their own academy and are actually trying to get kids to play with skill and not be afraid of making mistakes by trying something. All British coaches at the younger age groups with some Yanks at the older ages who are actually trying to develop real players.

The amount of youngsters that play is ridiculous, I work in a small town of 10,000 and we have 11 teams at various ages that play competitive soccer which I'd guess is more than the likes of Corstorphine or similar areas in Edinburgh.

The main problem with MLS is the threat of other sports taking away fans and the fact that a lot of the teams play in American Football stadiums although that is being addressed with most of the teams building their own stadiums now.

The fact that an average ticket is closer to $20 than the $70-80 or more it cost for all the other American sports should mean the league picking up more fans in the near future due to the shambles of the economy over there.

David - ma boy - what have you been drinking? I have had some contact with the Olympic Development Program and it shows what the U.S. values in football - churning out metronomes. They have no ****ing clue. It is like computers are in charge of development.

When we lived in Belgium and we had some contact with a local club that was a feeder for PSV, the youth coach had this idea based around "that boy is an athlete but not a footballer". These ODP people have another mantra - that boy is an athlete and therefor a "soccer player".

Here is where it goes wrong as well. The US youth league seasons shut down between Thanksgiving and the start of March. Why? Cause all the kids are off playing basketball and american football and the "soccer" teams can't maintain a squad. The only exception are the Latino teams as the kids don't give a **** about daft american sports. Now extrapolating that piece of data - the only hope for US "soccer" reaching truly global heights is for it to become truly Latino. That is like saying you expect Mexico to win the world cup before you join me at the "Diggers in the Sky".

BYW - there is another Jambo in L.A.

I'm just not convinced it's that far-fetched at all mate. So Calum's trials for his club team are on Saturday and it's a six-month season. He's then back in the district teams two months. That's eight months organized - and the club coaches here are all top-notch, a lot of Brits and Latinos. And it's intensive.

The clubs are massively over-subscribed and what I've noticed, apart from the stellar rise in standards, both coaching and players, is the sheer diversity of the kids now playing - all walks of life.

Sure the ODP strategy is worrying - but they suffer from the idea that you can just graft tried and tested methods from one American "sport" onto another. They'll be a learning curve at the top and changes there as well over the years.

If you add in the incentive that many parents will have - ie the college scholarship route through sport - I think this time that football is and will continue to be the growth sport in this country and let's face it, the sheer weight of numbers and money will go a long way to ensuring that there's a deeper and deeper pool for the professional leagues and the US teams to pick from.

So long as MLS doesn't go down the route of being a parking lot for expensive bottoms like Beckham - which to be fair doesn't look to be an overwhelming concern - and realizes that they must develop their own to prosper, they will eventually have a very strong league, packed with home-grown talent. The idea of combining heavy European influence with excellent facilities, superb backroom expertise and a sprinkling of Latino flair will make for a fairly potent mix if they get it right.

Give it time mate - you'll see I'm on to something. Get your money on 2026!!

First off, I'm biased cos I work for the NY Red Bulls. In the 3 years I've been over there the league has improved noticeably in terms of quality.

As someone mentioned, the ODP is an absolute joke, all they do is take the best athletes, tall, strong, fit and teach them how to play a certain position and that's it.

The Red Bulls have started their own academy and are actually trying to get kids to play with skill and not be afraid of making mistakes by trying something. All British coaches at the younger age groups with some Yanks at the older ages who are actually trying to develop real players.

The amount of youngsters that play is ridiculous, I work in a small town of 10,000 and we have 11 teams at various ages that play competitive soccer which I'd guess is more than the likes of Corstorphine or similar areas in Edinburgh.

The main problem with MLS is the threat of other sports taking away fans and the fact that a lot of the teams play in American Football stadiums although that is being addressed with most of the teams building their own stadiums now.

The fact that an average ticket is closer to $20 than the $70-80 or more it cost for all the other American sports should mean the league picking up more fans in the near future due to the shambles of the economy over there.

Lets say that my experience of how the youth teams are organised is patchy. This is from living in New Jersey and the Bay Area.

Currently, in San Francisco with a population of 900,000 there is one top level team at boys U16. That team is 98% Latino. Sure if you look at the Bay Area there are around 20 teams in the top level. Most of them are from pockets of European influence in various Silicon Valley hot spots, some Germans, a few French, bundle of East Europeans, the odd Brit (English) coach. Then there are a fair bunch of Latino teams as well.

Facilities vary from excellent to mud baths. No club has their own facility and the teams can often be virtual - with teams coming and going as 4 or 5 players leave to join another and a few players pack it in. Plus it costs an arm and a leg.

ALL the U16 to U12 tournaments I have attended, where you see the better teams coming in from all around the state, are really based on that energetic, athletic, running around like titans, type of approach. The skill level is quite appalling. You very, very rarely see some sublime piece of skill.

When I compare that to youth football experience in Belgium and France, where the youth system is couple onto the professional and amateur clubs, where facilties are good to excellent, wheere the pitches can often be like billiard tables in neat little stadiums - for me US "soccer" is in the middle ages.

As Betracoon mentions, the Olympic Development Program takes the fast and strapping and trains them into everything you need for a single position and also makes sure they don't think about too much. When we were in Belgium, the coaches used to play the kids in different positions all the time. I suppose being 12 km from the land of "total football" had an influence.

Unlike many of my mates on this thread - I am not impressed with the organisation and attitude to football in the 5 years I have spent over here.

To be honest, ignoring the bit about beer, this sounds like the football experience from hell.

Hispanisication (sp) So USA relies on Mexicans (predominately) &c. to provide their skills, bit sad really. I agree with you Shawn but to win the World Cup, I can't see it!

Darren Huckerby won Best Newcomer award for his starring role with San Jose Earthquakes. Take that Mr Roeder!

You mean "English legend" Darren Huckerby?

You mean "English legend" Darren Huckerby?

Yeah, I've seen that several times. Jesus H Christ! That's exactly what Davy meant when he talked about football in the States being so vanilla: cringeworthy, isn't it? I wouldn't mind - but the "greatest goal ever" they were referring to was surely this in any case:

To be honest, ignoring the bit about beer, this sounds like the football experience from hell.

My Toronto FC experience is in fact pub-match-abuse-pub so there's room for variety. :D

Lets say that my experience of how the youth teams are organised is patchy. This is from living in New Jersey and the Bay Area.

Currently, in San Francisco with a population of 900,000 there is one top level team at boys U16. That team is 98% Latino. Sure if you look at the Bay Area there are around 20 teams in the top level. Most of them are from pockets of European influence in various Silicon Valley hot spots, some Germans, a few French, bundle of East Europeans, the odd Brit (English) coach. Then there are a fair bunch of Latino teams as well.

Facilities vary from excellent to mud baths. No club has their own facility and the teams can often be virtual - with teams coming and going as 4 or 5 players leave to join another and a few players pack it in. Plus it costs an arm and a leg.

ALL the U16 to U12 tournaments I have attended, where you see the better teams coming in from all around the state, are really based on that energetic, athletic, running around like titans, type of approach. The skill level is quite appalling. You very, very rarely see some sublime piece of skill.

When I compare that to youth football experience in Belgium and France, where the youth system is couple onto the professional and amateur clubs, where facilties are good to excellent, wheere the pitches can often be like billiard tables in neat little stadiums - for me US "soccer" is in the middle ages.

As Betracoon mentions, the Olympic Development Program takes the fast and strapping and trains them into everything you need for a single position and also makes sure they don't think about too much. When we were in Belgium, the coaches used to play the kids in different positions all the time. I suppose being 12 km from the land of "total football" had an influence.

Unlike many of my mates on this thread - I am not impressed with the organisation and attitude to football in the 5 years I have spent over here.

I think you're being a bit harsh, mate. I agree with a lot of what you say but to compare the development with France and Belgium is a bit unfair. You're comparing apples and oranges. Undoubtedly, MLS wasted time and money after the '94 World Cup and they're still wasting time and money running up dead ends. The club scene is so much healthier down here than when Calum started out 6 years ago.

The problem is changing the mentality from a top-down approach to a bottom-up approach. The administrators at MLS have a narrow vision which is focused on protecting an investment at the senior level. No money really flows down except through the clubs - US Soccer Federation is about as useless as our own FAs. As you know, that's why it's such a financial commitment for fledgling club football. If Cal makes his U-12 tomorrow, I'll be looking at a minimum of 3k including travel etc. for the season.

In LA, the Galaxy and Chivas have made huge strides in their youth academies. And they send out coaches all the time now, which can only be a good thing. It's become the norm for all MLS clubs but there are not enough of them to make a real difference because the distances over here are so vast. It's not like getting on the bus and pitching up at Salvesens BC a couple of times a week.

I know it's by no means certain, but it is the sheer weight of participants at grass-root levels that makes me believe that things will change. All the ones I know are really vocal in agitating for better coaching, more money, better organization, better leagues etc. etc. I'm sure that is replicated a thousand times across the country.

As it stands, you're right. It's rubbish. But it's way less rubbish than it was five years ago and that's a pretty stellar rate of improvement.

i think it would be interesting to see how Hearts got on in the MLS. I get the feeling the standard isn't much different from SPL (minus Old Firm).

CycloJambos - I'm on holiday in Toronto, well Hamilton, Ontario, in June and was hoping to catch a TFC game and experience the whole North American sports style serving of our football. But I had been hearing all there games were sell outs and it was difficult to get tickets. So my question to you is how did you go about getting tickets on your visits??

Archived