Man Utd tonight.

alwaysthereinspirit

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic. How's being a supporter of red ****e?

Brilliant.

Nothing quite like seeing your team become English, European and World Champions in the space of a year ;)

Brilliant.

Nothing quite like seeing your team become English, European and World Champions in the space of a year ;)

Where about in Manchester you from mate?

Fair play on winning those. I actually don't mind Man Utd. I hate Kopites though.

Where about in Manchester you from mate?

Fair play on winning those. I actually don't mind Man Utd. I hate Kopites though.

Where in Leeds are you from? ;)

Man U 1 nil, the ginger magician :fing10:

I feel Scholes has never been giving the credit he has deserved throughout his career one of the best midfielders there has been in the last 10-15 year:)

after 10 minutes of shut-out tonight - Van der Sar moved into the top ten world league shut-out records.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

United 'keeper Edwin Van der Sar, who's set to face his former club, has not conceded a goal in 1,212 Premier League minutes for his club, which is a UK league record. He is still one game and 88 minutes shy of the European league record. This is held by Dany Verlinden, who kept the opposition at bay for 1,390 minutes for Club Bruges in the Belgium league between 3 March and 26 September 1990.

If Van der Sar can hold out for another 10 minutes, that will take his current achievement into the top 10 in world league football. If he manages another clean sheet, he will rise to sixth in the all-time list. The world record stands at 1,816 minutes by Mazaropi for Vasco de Gama from 18 May 1977 to 7 September 1978.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I feel Scholes has never been giving the credit he has deserved throughout his career one of the best midfielders there has been in the last 10-15 year:)

of course he has been given the credit - he has a sitting room full of trophies, medals and england caps - and a big fat bank balance.

what more does he want - having Chick Young validate him as being better than barrie-the-crab????????

Brilliant.

although IIRC they won the "English" on the final day of the season, against a team managed by a Utd legend, and they won the "European" by a John Terry slip (he sent van der sar the wrong way)

although IIRC they won the "English" on the final day of the season, against a team managed by a Utd legend, and they won the "European" by a John Terry slip (he sent van der sar the wrong way)

when do you plan to get to the point?

alwaysthereinspirit

Doesn't really matter which way the goalie went. It's where the ball went that counts. Terry has been $#!te since that night.:tongue:

They won the European Cup by scoring more penalties than Chelsea.

Its not Man Utds fault Terry cant get his penalty on target.

Doesn't really matter which way the goalie went. It's where the ball went that counts. Terry has been $#!te since that night.:tongue:

agreed. i hate him hes not worth half the money hes on.

loveofthegame

History will remember the fact they won, not how they won.

[Regardless they were by far the best team in Europe last year, and only Barcelona (Inter at a push) can get anywhere near them this year]

Cheers for the link. How annoying is that commentator though? Seems to say everything three times (in French!)

i know, i just muted it after a few minutes!

Another 3 points for the juggernaut.

I realise Hearts are your main team, Eck - but what led to you following Man Utd? Just curious.

loveofthegame
I realise Hearts are your main team, Eck - but what led to you following Man Utd? Just curious.

You may be fishing but i'll take the bait- It's probably for the same reason as most people my age (I think Eck and I are similar ages)= their utter brilliance when we where growing up. I was drawn to Utd by the brilliant football they played and their tremendous players/success in the 1990's- I've stuck with them since. Have been a Hearts season ticket holder since I was 5 so its quite nice following a team who are so regularly brilliant and winning trophies. Don't get me wrong Hearts are lightyears above any team i support in England but it is quite nice to 'support' a team like Utd, especially when you don't take it too seriously.

I would guess the majority of Scottish guys my age would have Utd as their English team unless they have an actual tie to an English club for whatever reason.

You may be fishing but i'll take the bait- It's probably for the same reason as most people my age (I think Eck and I are similar ages)= their utter brilliance when we where growing up. I was drawn to Utd by the brilliant football they played and their tremendous players/success in the 1990's- I've stuck with them since. Have been a Hearts season ticket holder since I was 5 so its quite nice following a team who are so regularly brilliant and winning trophies. Don't get me wrong Hearts are lightyears above any team i support in England but it is quite nice to 'support' a team like Utd, especially when you don't take it too seriously.

I would guess the majority of Scottish guys my age would have Utd as their English team unless they have an actual tie to an English club for whatever reason.

To add to that and sum it up. Fergie and Cantona. End of.

This perplexes me somewhat. There were so many ABUs around in the 90s that the cool/equally sad thing to do was hate them. Supporting/following them just because they were so good... well, it's not something I could have done, but everyone's different!

When I was a youngster, about 7 or 8, my best friend was from Salford. And he, as a result, was a United fan. I met him as I was starting to get into football, and he pointed me in the direction of United.

His family used to go to games quite regularly, and brought me stuff back from Old Trafford. Programmes, pens, photocards, etc. This was also in the days of Eric, whom everyone could see was a footballing genius.

I can see why people throw the name 'gloryhunter' at me, but when I started watching United, I wasn't bothered about what they won, I just loved watching them.

To add to that and sum it up. Fergie and Cantona. End of.

Who they're still singing about tonight! :eek:

Memo to United fans: Eric Cantona was not bigger than your club. When he retired, you improved and finally became a force to be reckoned with in Europe. And the fortieth anniversary of Munich was not intended to be one great fawning celebration of Eric Le Roi!

This perplexes me somewhat. There were so many ABUs around in the 90s that the cool/equally sad thing to do was hate them. Supporting/following them just because they were so good... well, it's not something I could have done, but everyone's different!

You know, i've followed Liverpool for 30 years but given the choice of going to see a game down south I'd watch a Man U game, they are just a different class.

Memo to United fans: Eric Cantona was not bigger than your club. When he retired, you improved and finally became a force to be reckoned with in Europe. And the fortieth anniversary of Munich was not intended to be one great fawning celebration of Eric Le Roi!

He may not have been bigger than the club, and we may have improved after he left, but it was him that moved us from perennial runners up, to go that extra mile.

Cantona was one of the greatest ever imports into the British game and he helped us get to where we are now.

Bit of a strange statement. I don't know where your coming from with the bigger than the club stuff. He was a footballing genius and loved man utd, the fans loved him back. Pretty simple really.

When I was a youngster, about 7 or 8, my best friend was from Salford. And he, as a result, was a United fan. I met him as I was starting to get into football, and he pointed me in the direction of United.

His family used to go to games quite regularly, and brought me stuff back from Old Trafford. Programmes, pens, photocards, etc. This was also in the days of Eric, whom everyone could see was a footballing genius.

I can see why people throw the name 'gloryhunter' at me, but when I started watching United, I wasn't bothered about what they won, I just loved watching them.

Sure - we all have our reasons, and they're often just utterly random. My best mate at school supported Man Utd too (from around 1985 in his case, meaning I at least got to mock him for a few years!). I remember wanting United to win the 1985 Cup Final because I hated the name 'Everton' - but for a deeply sad period in the 90s, had a soft spot for (though didn't follow or support) Leeds, then Chelsea, then Blackburn, then Newcastle, then Arsenal. It was cringeworthy: I just couldn't handle United's success at all.

I've mellowed and hopefully grown up a bit since - and whereas players like Ince or Cantona (when the red mist descended) were very hard to like, the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Vidic (my choice for Player of the Year this season: I think Giggs might win it though) or Tevez are very simpatico. I can't help but admire the football you play - and surely the most admirable thing about United is that you've stayed true to this style throughout your history, even when unsuccessful.

Bit of a strange statement. I don't know where your coming from with the bigger than the club stuff. He was a footballing genius and loved man utd, the fans loved him back. Pretty simple really.

Sure. I've never, ever understood the utter deification of him though.

He may not have been bigger than the club, and we may have improved after he left, but it was him that moved us from perennial runners up, to go that extra mile.

Cantona was one of the greatest ever imports into the British game and he helped us get to where we are now.

Mmm. Thing is though Eck, I thought United lost the title in 1992 not because you were inferior to Leeds, but purely because your fixture backlog was ludicrous. You were obviously on the up, and most people's choice to win the title the following year. I'd argue Schmeichel was your most important purchase during that era - but in saying that, know the tremendous regard the 93/4 double winners are held in (a great side, featuring so many personalities and characters), and thinking about it, we all had our breath taken away by United's seven wins on the trot which clinched that longed for first title.

At the time, the football you played during that spell seemed from another planet: what I didn't realise, though, was the SKY era would feature a number of sides who clinched the title with impossibly fantastic runs (United 95/6, Arsenal 97/8, Arsenal 01/2 springing to mind).

Mmm. Thing is though Eck, I thought United lost the title in 1992 not because you were inferior to Leeds, but purely because your fixture backlog was ludicrous. You were obviously on the up, and most people's choice to win the title the following year. I'd argue Schmeichel was your most important purchase during that era - but in saying that, know the tremendous regard the 93/4 double winners are held in (a great side, featuring so many personalities and characters), and thinking about it, we all had our breath taken away by United's seven wins on the trot which clinched that longed for first title.

At the time, the football you played during that spell seemed from another planet: what I didn't realise, though, was the SKY era would feature a number of sides who clinched the title with impossibly fantastic runs (United 95/6, Arsenal 97/8, Arsenal 01/2 springing to mind).

The most important signing you could argue about all day and you could make a case for any of them, the truth is putting those players together was the key.

However; Cantona contributed the goal or game defining moment to so many 1-0 wins when it mattered, he was/is enigmatic, a player desperately under achieving until he arrived at a club with a manager who knew who to manage him. Moreover he was a striker. There are not many centre halves, however good, who are spoken about in the same way as the man at the sharp end, where the glory is.

For me, Schmeichel, Irwin, Parker, Ince, Bruce were important arrivals. Add those to the emerging Giggs and Sharpe the hunger of Hughes and Robson and they were a team to be reckoned with by anyone's standards. Cantona was the extra dimension.

He will always be labelled a failure in Europe, where in fact United at that time frequently failed away, but United fans know the importance and value of Cantona in ending a 26 year wait for the title and that is why he is so revered.

Whilst he may be arguably be the most influentional though, He (or he, depending on your standpoint) is not the best United player in the last thirty years IMHO, he is fourth.

Above him are Giggs, Scholes and Keane. Can't seperate them.

The most important signing you could argue about all day and you could make a case for any of them, the truth is putting those players together was the key.

However; Cantona contributed the goal or game defining moment to so many 1-0 wins when it mattered, he was/is enigmatic, a player desperately under achieving until he arrived at a club with a manager who knew who to manage him. Moreover he was a striker. There are not many centre halves, however good, who are spoken about in the same way as the man at the sharp end, where the glory is.

For me, Schmeichel, Irwin, Parker, Ince, Bruce were important arrivals. Add those to the emerging Giggs and Sharpe the hunger of Hughes and Robson and they were a team to be reckoned with by anyone's standards. Cantona was the extra dimension.

He will always be labelled a failure in Europe, where in fact United at that time frequently failed away, but United fans know the importance and value of Cantona in ending a 26 year wait for the title and that is why he is so revered.

Whilst he may be arguably be the most influentional though, He (or he, depending on your standpoint) is not the best United player in the last thirty years IMHO, he is fourth.

Above him are Giggs, Scholes and Keane. Can't seperate them.

Interesting thoughts mate. Being English, and someone who adored our Italia 90 side, Paul Parker was one of my favourite players. He did the job for you for a time - but I'll always remember a 2-0 win for Blackburn over you at Easter '94. United briefly looked in trouble (well, until Sparky's last ditch equaliser against Oldham at Wembley: the goal that changed an entire club's history); and Shearer had him on toast. He was just too plain small, and got rumbled that day.

And then there was Lee Sharpe. He, of course, seemed to have a greater future than Giggs at one point: few people remember just how good he could be. One of the staging posts en route to Man U at last reclaiming the title was a spellbinding 6-2 drubbing of Arsenal at Highbury in the League Cup. The Gooners were awesome that season, walked the league, and lost just one match all campaign - but that night, Sharpey took them to the cleaners. He never managed to do it consistently though; and after a brilliant display against Barcelona in the 94/5 CL*, he just seemed to disappear. Odd - but I guess off-field distractions were a major reason for that!

* featuring this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EpPWqPejA

PS. Denis Irwin: most underrated player in history? His consistency was extraordinary - he never let you down. And he was an absolute gent with it. My favourite United player during the first half of your dominant post-1992 era.

Interesting thoughts mate. Being English, and someone who adored our Italia 90 side, Paul Parker was one of my favourite players. He did the job for you for a time - but I'll always remember a 2-0 win for Blackburn over you at Easter '94. United briefly looked in trouble (well, until Sparky's last ditch equaliser against Oldham at Wembley: the goal that changed an entire club's history); and Shearer had him on toast. He was just too plain small, and got rumbled that day.

And then there was Lee Sharpe. He, of course, seemed to have a greater future than Giggs at one point: few people remember just how good he could be. One of the staging posts en route to Man U at last reclaiming the title was a spellbinding 6-2 drubbing of Arsenal at Highbury in the League Cup. The Gooners were awesome that season, walked the league, and lost just one match all campaign - but that night, Sharpey took them to the cleaners. He never managed to do it consistently though; and after a brilliant display against Barcelona in the 94/5 CL*, he just seemed to disappear. Odd - but I guess off-field distractions were a major reason for that!

* featuring this goal:

PS. Denis Irwin: most underrated player in history? His consistency was extraordinary - he never let you down. And he was an absolute gent with it. My favourite United player during the first half of your dominant post-1992 era.

Bloody hell Shaun, you are actually a walking encyclopedia!

* featuring this goal:

A quality goal. I do wonder if you offered it all to Sharpe again whether he would do anything different!

I take your point about Parker to a degree, but many, many players were found out by Shearer (he surely must regret turning United down. Not once but twice) so I can't hold that against him. He was one of the early versions of a 'modern' full back and United more than got their money from out of him.

Bloody hell Shaun, you are actually a walking encyclopedia!

My nickname on another forum is, um, Google. :o

Archived