Tynecastle next season!!

tedp6873

I think it's something that we already knew to be honest.

Judging by CO's chat, there might still be a chance of us getting a new stand after all!

The People's Chimp
Well CO coming out saying the plans still not been approved, so looking like another season with out the promise of the new stand, but he says he believes it will go ahead.

Thoughts.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1559529,00.html

Section P again next season. happy days.

In any event, the current climate is not in which a company potentially struggling for cash chould be going ahead with a ?52M project.

How long would approval be valid for anyway ( serious question )

If, given the feckin state of things in the economy, this project goes into the deep freeze for a bit. What happens if there is an upturn and we actually decide to start building ?

Do we have to re-submit after x years ( say maybe 2 ) if nothing has been done ?

Section P again next season. happy days.

In any event, the current climate is not in which a company potentially struggling for cash chould be going ahead with a ?52M project.

It would also be better for us if we reduced our debt drastically before proceeding eg we have (had) a ?40m overdraft facility and if we had gone ahead in partnership with other concerns when our debt was ?36m, then we would have had a (very) minor stake, which would still have been better than the M/field option. If however we can reduce the debt we have the choice to increase our stake and better stabilise our long term future.

Seymour M Hersh
I'd be surprised if anyone is surprised by this news.

My gast has never been so flabbered!!

Experts on here assured us it will never be built but (yet again) the MD says it's not a matter of if it's built but when it's built.

Well at least its still coming, however even if it is delayed for a few years i wouldnt be too unhappy in these economic times i think Hearts are starting to live within in our means. In Vlad We Trust :laugh: :laugh:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Does anyone still actually believe we are getting a new stand?

I gave up on the idea long ago and tbh, I'm not that bothered. The Main Stand is the best part of the ground.

Experts on here assured us it will never be built but (yet again) the MD says it's not a matter of if it's built but when it's built.

I think that the crucial point - as has been the case since the plans were released is - "they are working on funding".

I would suggest that the 'if it is built' is a better expectation than 'when'.

If, given the feckin state of things in the economy, this project goes into the deep freeze for a bit. What happens if there is an upturn and we actually decide to start building ?

Do we have to re-submit after x years ( say maybe 2 ) if nothing has been done ?

I think that it's 5 years. That's what was said when Hibs were talking about going ahead with a replacement for their shed last year; they got permission for the new stand at the same time as the main one but are now nearing the expiry of the permission.

Guest Dipped Flake

We don't have approval though so at the moment it doesn't affect us. Once/if approval is given we have 5 years (I think) to start building. That's why hibs are in the mire as their approval runs out next year and they don't have the money to build. They will almost certainly not get approval next time due to the new flats built on the land Farmer kindly borrowed from them

The People's Chimp
It would also be better for us if we reduced our debt drastically before proceeding eg we have (had) a ?40m overdraft facility and if we had gone ahead in partnership with other concerns when our debt was ?36m, then we would have had a (very) minor stake, which would still have been better than the M/field option. If however we can reduce the debt we have the choice to increase our stake and better stabilise our long term future.

Indeed. I do think it's imperative we have a serious debt reduction before going ahead with the new stand. The dangers, otherwise, are a bit too serious to contemplate.

Mind you, it's also a shame we can't capitalise on the bottom falling out of the steel market and construction companies crying out for any work that can come their way.

Does anyone still actually believe we are getting a new stand?

I gave up on the idea long ago and tbh, I'm not that bothered. The Main Stand is the best part of the ground.

you won't be saying that when you die of asbestos poisoning. :mw_rolleyes:

Assuming finance is available there is no better time than a recession to build. Plant and material prices plummet and profit margins are slashed. Increases in labour costs are also pegged back. The Wheatfield and Roseburn stands were built during the last recession and costs were very competitive as a result.

Guest JamboRobbo

Are you surprised it's "delayed" again?

I'm just gonna sit back and await our new stand then. 2010 they said it'd be ready right?

you won't be saying that when you die of asbestos poisoning. :mw_rolleyes:

Asbestos poisoning is for poofs. More chance of death through eating one of the dodgy pies that the Main Stand sell. :)

From date of approval Hearts would have three years to start work, if not the process would start again.

yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa

another year in the best stand at tynie.

Im actually considering moving my seat next season! Been in sec F for the last 4 or 5 years, and sec A prior to that! (Because I was a smoker, and at the time, we could still smoke in the wheatfield) Only ever been in the old stand on the odd occasion, for corporate seats etc.

Thinking "N1 or 2", just for a wee change - and if theres a delay in the construction, hell why not! Could be my last chance to view from the dark side..... :tongue:

I believe that a new stand will be built but maybe a revamped version from the original plans (ie. a cheaper version)

Also , does the main stand not require a safety certificate each year due to the year it was built? , if so then surely there has to be a time when we have no option but to re build.

From date of approval Hearts would have three years to start work, if not the process would start again.

As Gibbo & Dipped Flake pointed out

Hibs planning permission gave them Five years from the date it was issued (3rd Feb 2005)

So if it get's issued at the end of the season that would give us till 2014 to start work. Even if the funding takes longer to find then it's unlikely that Hearts would face the same complications, in getting an extension, as it's probable that nobody else will be building anything in Gorgie for a while.

Thunderstruck

Reading the sport pages in the Herald today, you could be mistaken for thinking that their columnist, Derek Miller, is related to members of the JKB Negativity Tendency.

CAMPBELL OGILVIE, the Hearts managing director, yesterday admitted plans for the redevelopment of the main stand at Tynecastle are on hold, sparking further fears of financial problems at the club.

No planning permission, no start of project, simple really.

Will be interested to see if debentures are used to part fund the development along the lines of Murrayfield and Hampden.

Seymour M Hersh
Are you surprised it's "delayed" again?

I'm just gonna sit back and await our new stand then. 2010 they said it'd be ready right?

Is it delayed again though. As the council have yet to pass the plans it cant really be classed as another delay. If they had done so and the club had come out with this then I would say yes, it's a further delay.

CO has said it wont be built by then so why the snide comment?

is there not an imminent issue looming regarding the safety certificate of the old main stand? in that there wont be one for very long.

Im not surprised, I work in planning and have done so for a good few years. Projects this size can and very often take some considerable time for a variety of reasons.

I for one believe it will get built.

is there not an imminent issue looming regarding the safety certificate of the old main stand? in that there wont be one for very long.

I do believe something about the H&S certificate won't be renewed so upon the date it runs out, so does the Main Stand. Unless they do a patch up job to bring it up to standard.

I'd like to think the new stand will be built, but with the years rolling by, I can't see Romanov doing it. Just don't think he is capable enough of seeing such a project through to completion.

Ogi fae Gorgie
Well CO coming out saying the plans still not been approved, so looking like another season with out the promise of the new stand, but he says he believes it will go ahead.

Thoughts.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1559529,00.html

Here we go. Plans not been approved do you not believe him they have applied for like? The promise of a new stand has been made berk hence the planning application. Watching him on HW it is the planning process he says thats the hold up. Another negative post.

portobellojambo1

If there is a delay in building the main stand but in the interim we put some serious effort into building a really strong team I will not grumble.

The only danger I can foresee is in relation to the H & S certificate applying to the existing main stand. If the reasons for it not being renewed as is (the certificate) are not fixable by some sort of patch up job there is a possibility that for a period of time we may have to reduce capacity to the other three stands.

I'd rather have a 23,000 seater stadium than a 17,000 one.

Buffalo Bill

I think we all would, for the potential it creates if nothing else.

Still capable of creating a fantastic atmosphere though even as is and we need to remember that even for a game with the significance and edge of Saturday's 17,500 was still too big.

lost in leith
Assuming finance is available there is no better time than a recession to build. Plant and material prices plummet and profit margins are slashed. Increases in labour costs are also pegged back. The Wheatfield and Roseburn stands were built during the last recession and costs were very competitive as a result.

No offence meant, but I'm afraid only someone on acid could assume that 'finance is available' to an insolvent football club in the current environment :eek:

No harm in us continuing with the application for planning permission. The big concern for me is the health & safety issue with asbestos in the main stand. Hopefully we can survive on that front, IIRC that was one of the Pieman's many porkies about why there was no alternative to Murrayfield.

No offence meant, but I'm afraid only someone on acid could assume that 'finance is available' to an insolvent football club in the current environment :eek:

No harm in us continuing with the application for planning permission. The big concern for me is the health & safety issue with asbestos in the main stand. Hopefully we can survive on that front, IIRC that was one of the Pieman's many porkies about why there was no alternative to Murrayfield.

It is just asbestos cement in the roof isn't it? Surely that can be replaced with a tin roof without any problems?

Charlie-Brown

Asbestos was used in a wide variety of building product as a 'filler' material to bulk out products & reduce costs. Roofing, pipework, building blocks etc.

Asbestos was used in a wide variety of building product as a 'filler' material to bulk out products & reduce costs. Roofing, pipework, building blocks etc.

Yes, but how much of that in the stand poses any danger? Maybe if the roofing materials are in danger of falling, but elsewhere what is the risk?

Wasn't the not fit for purpose nonsense about the stand just from the Pieman.

What would be to stop the club from tarting up the stand each time a certificate is required?

Charlie-Brown

Asbestos poses a problem when it is disturbed or exposed during building works. It can be costly to remove / replace but it's perfectly possible.

Asbestos poses a problem when it is disturbed or exposed during building works. It can be costly to remove / replace but it's perfectly possible.

Absolutely, but is there asbestos or just asbestos cement?

Where is the need to carry out building works? What would the main stand fail a safety certificate for?

From Not Fit for Purpose

http://www.zinescene.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MOBpurpose.htm

5. McLEOD STREET STAND

The McLeod Street Stand is rapidly approaching a position where its Safety Certificate is under threat. Structural Engineers are concerned about the integrity due to corrosion of the internal steel beams.

The Stand itself does not conform with the Green Guide in terms of exit widths and evacuation times. The roof of the Stand' date=' which is asbestos, has become very brittle and breaks and fragments on the rare occasions that balls land on the roof. Netting has been placed underneath this to protect spectators. The main seating deck is timber and therefore a higher risk for fire.

[/quote']

Charlie-Brown

It depends on the criteria for a safety certificate & would need a separate asbestos survey but in a building the age of the main stand it is possible asbestos was used in a variety of ways ie roofing, pipes, jointing materials etc.

Charlie-Brown

Buildings in a much worse state of ageing, disrepair or even ruin have been beautifully restored & modernised. It's certainly possible just depends on the will & cost factor.

I find it hard to believe that anybody does not think the old stand needs replaced. It has served us well, but it is time to replace it.

I too believe the stand will be built. Whether or not it matches the pictures we have seen already is a different matter.

I think it adds to the match day experience if you aren't sure whether or not you will survive the 90 minutes. :)

Archived