So, what was the difference?

Jammy T

Alienated as I am down south - is there any succinct summary which can be used to describe what sounded like a wholly more positive show at the weekend.

Was it same formation just more attacking players?

Was it more 4-4-2?

Was it that we just didnt have a complete passenger on the opposite wing from Driver?

Was it because we didnt have a defender in midfield?

Was it because we didnt have a complete bombscare in defence?

Attitude?

Did we nearly throw it away by going too uber cautious once we took the lead?

Did the team do enough that it will be or should be same again next week?

Cheers

:)

Main thing was attitude - didn't give up.

Driver and Obua were dangerous on the wings. Glen dropped back sometimes, so it was like a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Should it be the same against St Mirren? - YES :)

Guest JamboRobbo

For me, the difference is we worked hard as a team. No passengers.

No Zaliukas strolling around at the back. No Larry lazing around on the right.

Johnson may not be the complete centre half, and struggles physically, but he's a football player who works hard at his job in the team. Glen is still a young laddie, and lacks a yard of pace/strength because of that, but he has a touch of class about him.

Even Mikey Stewart, with his all effort no ability style, had a job to do and did his bit for the team on Saturday.

Quite simple, we had 11 players who played as a team, and that team wanted the 3 points more than aberdeen did. I wouldn't say we played particuarly better than them. We just wanted it more.

Oh, and yes, we were more like 442 on Saturday.

Obua definately looks a lot more comfortable on the left, although playing him there takes away from Drivers game a bit.

Commander Harris
Alienated as I am down south - is there any succinct summary which can be used to describe what sounded like a wholly more positive show at the weekend.

1. Was it same formation just more attacking players?

2. Was it more 4-4-2?

3. Was it that we just didnt have a complete passenger on the opposite wing from Driver?

4. Was it because we didnt have a defender in midfield?

5. Was it because we didnt have a complete bombscare in defence?

Attitude?

6. Did we nearly throw it away by going too uber cautious once we took the lead?

7. Did the team do enough that it will be or should be same again next week?

Cheers

I've taken the liberty of numbering your questions for ease of response:

1. same formation; even though it was a "recognised" forward pairing of glen and nade they didn't set up noticably different than any other 1-1 pairing we've had. Glen was fairly quiet. Nade was excellent at holding the ball up.

2. see above.

3. Obua had a very good game, that of course helped.

4. Don't think it made much difference.

5. Harsh on Berra imo. :P

6. We didn't go over-caution, neither did we go gung-ho seeking to bury the game, although aberdeen did have a decent chance at the end amidst a bit of a scramble although I think there was a flag anyway.

7. I don't expect us to get a win every week, on another day this good performance would not have got the 3 points it deserved. that's just the way football is sometimes. I don't see any reason why we can't keep up the good performances though, players are playing well as a unit and there was a good spirit evident.

in summation, I'd say the main difference wasn't in tactics or personel but in the spirit shown to fight back after going a goal down when previously this might have buried us.

Was it more 4-4-2?

Was it that we just didnt have a complete passenger on the opposite wing from Driver?

Attitude?

Cheers

Simple really:

1- We worked as a team

2- No passengers

3- We didn't give up

4- Crowd were right behind the team

5- Obua, Nade, Bruno and Driver were immense!

Energy, teamwork and commitment. There were no prima donnas and each player played to his own strength.

the 442 formation became 424 when we had the ball (as it should) and there was a hunger which isn't always evident.

On another day these qualities may not be enough and the lack of a 20 goals a season striker will mean that we lose the game. But Csaba has turned a bunch of players - totally lacking in self belief - into a team which plays to its strengths and works its socks off.

We may wind up 5th or 6th rather than the 3rd we all want to see, but I'd rather watch this style of football than what we witnessed last year !

In addition, I think we set out stall out to play off the front foot. We didn't seek just to soak up pressure and either get a break away or else to wait until we had worn them down. As has been said on this thread, we didn't throw off all caution, but we were just more attack-minded.

I think there's a lot of merit in what Csaba said: Tangoman had been saying he could exploit our weakness of not having Berra any more. Csaba said he preferred to work on our own strengths, not an opposition weakness.

Also, Karipids showed hsi skill - he does sucha good job for us as central midfield, and yesterday he strolled through and really led the defence. (Well, apart from when he thought he was playing midfield again and was way up fiueld chasing a lost ball that found its way to Mulgrew who crossed for their goal.)

Charlie-Brown

The players played better & were more positive saturday than in other games altho we stuttered a bit in first half hour. Apart from personnel formation wasn't noticably different.

I think the main difference is the fact that we put the ball in the net twice this week, and didn't bomb out of everyone's favourite competition.

Charlie-Brown

Also Aberdeen sat in & tried to counter attack until last 15 minutes giving us territorial advantage for most of the game.

Commander Harris
Also Aberdeen sat in & tried to counter attack until last 15 minutes giving us territorial advantage for most of the game.

quite, Calderwood's tactics certainly didn't hinder us.

A couple of things that I read between the lines of the performance

Michael Stewart plays better in more of a midfield 4, or at least when he is the nominated holding midfielder. He is an intelligent player, but seems to play best when he has limited and specific duties that are more defensively minded

Gary Glen is naturally more attack-minded - he is a striker playing in the hole as opposed to a midfielder playing in the hole - so instinctively he will get into more attack minded positions, and probably be a better support to Nade in doing so. Indeed he probably wont play the "in the hole" position quite how Csaba wants it...

Guest JamboRobbo
A couple of things that I read between the lines of the performance

Michael Stewart plays better in more of a midfield 4, or at least when he is the nominated holding midfielder. He is an intelligent player, but seems to play best when he has limited and specific duties that are more defensively minded

Gary Glen is naturally more attack-minded - he is a striker playing in the hole as opposed to a midfielder playing in the hole - so instinctively he will get into more attack minded positions, and probably be a better support to Nade in doing so. Indeed he probably wont play the "in the hole" position quite how Csaba wants it...

I agree right up till the last sentence. I think Glen played in a way that Csaba would not be unhappy with. ;)

Charlie-Brown

Glen had some really good touches when he got on the ball, got caught between the play a lot tho & drifted out the game a wee bit, wasn't a surprise it was him that was subbed.

Glen had some really good touches when he got on the ball, got caught between the play a lot tho & drifted out the game a wee bit, wasn't a surprise it was him that was subbed.

Fair enough - probably playing in a slightly unaccustomed role and still acclimatising to the first team?

On paper, the team had a very balanced look to it.

I'd hope to see that team given at least one more chance to bed in

I thought Michael Stewart resolving to play within himself rather than trying the impossible all the time was the difference. He got stuck in and let Aguiar (MOTM) play the ball about.

Obua was improved not only in attacking influence but also in defending and all-round 'attitude'.

Nade was seriously good too. They couldn't get the ball of him and that makes such a difference to relieving the pressure on the rest of the team.

I'm with this bearded warrior.

Buffalo Bill

Francis Albert

Up until the equaliser we looked at least as bad as in the Falkirk game, if not worse. Indeed our first half performance against Falkirk was probably better than Saturday's first half. The obvious thing that made the biggest difference was scoring a goal with practically our first bit of football. If we'd got a goal against Falkirk (for example from the penalty that wasn't) it might have had a similar affect as it did on Saturday.

Up until the equaliser we looked at least as bad as in the Falkirk game, if not worse. Indeed our first half performance against Falkirk was probably better than Saturday's first half. The obvious thing that made the biggest difference was scoring a goal with practically our first bit of football. If we'd got a goal against Falkirk (for example from the penalty that wasn't) it might have had a similar affect as it did on Saturday.

Its the beauty of having Aguiar around.

He's a class act and one pass / free kick from him can change the game or start to turn it around

We really need to keep him beyond the end of this season if we can.

Any thoughts on how Aguiar played his more natural positon in midfield? - I think the Sun gave him MOTM

Guest JamboRobbo
Fair enough - probably playing in a slightly unaccustomed role and still acclimatising to the first team?

IMO, he just needs to be given time to get a wee bit bigger and stronger, thats all. the football ability is clearly there. Touch and awareness, and a knack of getting into good positions. All thats missing is a half a yard here or there, which will come as he matures.....

I think Driver should be constantly on the right, he seems to be far more dangerous there, than on the left, where Obua has stamped his authority.

IMO, he just needs to be given time to get a wee bit bigger and stronger, thats all. the football ability is clearly there. Touch and awareness, and a knack of getting into good positions. All thats missing is a half a yard here or there, which will come as he matures.....

I think the biggest problem on Saturday was that his touch seemed to desert him at times which surprised me because he's always looked alot more assured on the ball other times i've seen him play, not wanting to knock the boy as i thought he had an ok game just a little infuriating when every pass that went to him ended up bouncing up to head height, maybe he's breaking in a new pair of boots :rolleyes:

On a sidenote dunno if it was mentioned but what was that about leaving 4 players up at an aberdeen corner? Not got a problem with it and if Balogh had been able to grab a hold of the ball and play it out quick would've made for a great breakaway and it meant they couldn't load the box just total difference to the usual everybody back routine

Francis Albert
Its the beauty of having Aguiar around.

He's a class act and one pass / free kick from him can change the game or start to turn it around

We really need to keep him beyond the end of this season if we can.

Any thoughts on how Aguiar played his more natural positon in midfield? - I think the Sun gave him MOTM

Thought he had a relatively quiet game and his passing was bit inconsistent ... but as you say one moment of genius can make up for a lot.

Thought he had a relatively quiet game and his passing was bit inconsistent ... but as you say one moment of genius can make up for a lot.

The main reason I ask is that I've got Obua in my dream team and a lot of people thought he was MOTM - was a bit disappointed when I saw Aguiar got it :rolleyes:

Although, personally, I do think we'll be better off with Aguiar in midfield rather than in the hole

The main reason I ask is that I've got Obua in my dream team and a lot of people thought he was MOTM - was a bit disappointed when I saw Aguiar got it :rolleyes:

Although, personally, I do think we'll be better off with Aguiar in midfield rather than in the hole

i thought Bruno was a bit hot and cold on Saturday. Great pass for the first goal, but a lot of passes to no-one/nowhere also. His dead balls were poor imo, he came onto a game in the last 20mins or so.

Obua was my MOTM closely followed by Nade.

Re your last comment, i think Bruno played his best football for us this season in 'the hole' when he first came back into the side, more recently he has been in the 'midfield' and is has not been as effective.

Bruno i find is a better player the quicker we play, when we are up tempo we get more from him as oppossed to when we are waiting for things to happen or slow build up play.

First half hour of the second half was the best we've played this season in my opinion.

Players showed a lot of belief in themselves and worked really hard for each other. Was great to see.

i thought Bruno was a bit hot and cold on Saturday. Great pass for the first goal, but a lot of passes to no-one/nowhere also. His dead balls were poor imo, he came onto a game in the last 20mins or so.

Obua was my MOTM closely followed by Nade.

Re your last comment, i think Bruno played his best football for us this season in 'the hole' when he first came back into the side, more recently he has been in the 'midfield' and is has not been as effective.

Bruno i find is a better player the quicker we play, when we are up tempo we get more from him as oppossed to when we are waiting for things to happen or slow build up play.

You might be right, although most of Bruno's effectiveness when he played in the hole appeared to come from his free kicks - either scoring or setting up headed goals - which should be unaffected if he plays further back. Although because he has high basic technical ability he can take a pass (usually) and control it and lay it off etc.

I just dont think he has the "nippiness" to play as a second striker

The main thing is he should be in the team.

Maybe the group that played at the weekend just need another game or so to re-adjust to the changes, which although they appear subtle are actually quite extensive throughout the team

Glen in, Karipidis not in midfield, Berra not in defence. Balogh / Macdonald switching

Changes right through the spine of the team.

To everyone's credit they got a result, and by the sound of it played pretty well second half

The midfield works best with Karipidis, Aguiar and Palazuelos in the middle IMO.

But I'm also glad to see Glen playing.

Charlie-Brown

One thing that has been encouraging in saturdays victory and also in the inverness game recently is that the wide players Obua & Driver seem to have realised the importance of getting into the box to help support Nade - that and putting in better & more dangerous crossing to create opportunities.

First goal Obua got in at the back post to head back across for Nade to score, 2nd goal Driver got in at the back post to head in Obua's cross which was a return complement to Obua heading in Drivers crosses for our 1st & 2nd goals v Inverness recently, Driver also getting into the box to cut back for Kingston's winner was obviously vitally important in that game.

Getting a good level of support and good service into the box is key to our formation working and winning games.

Guest JamboRobbo
The midfield works best with Karipidis, Aguiar and Palazuelos in the middle IMO.

But I'm also glad to see Glen playing.

I'd agree with this, but I guess it's a choice between "4-4-2/Glen in the hole" or "our best three in the middle".

With no CH's left, the natarul choice to drop back is Karapidis, which forces us towards the 4-4-2 with Glen option........

PresidentRomanov

I didn't think there was much difference from last week, where I thought the team played with the same fight an commitment, we got the breaks this time for a change.

Unfortunately, some people can't see past the result though, last week they were mugs, this week they're heroes :mw_rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown
I didn't think there was much difference from last week, where I thought the team played with the same fight an commitment, we got the breaks this time for a change.

Unfortunately, some people can't see past the result though, last week they were mugs, this week they're heroes :mw_rolleyes:

Scoring a goal seems to make all the difference to the players confidence & belief in themselves and it's also crucial to the mood of the fans.

PresidentRomanov
Scoring a goal seems to make all the difference to the players confidence & belief in themselves and it's also crucial to the mood of the fans.

Correct, but I thought the fight and commitment from the players, was as good last week as this, they just didn't get the breaks.

11 hard workers on the pitch.

That's what made the difference.

No lazy passengers and no bombscares (apart from Mikey S who actually had a good game)

Toxteth O'Grady

Nade up front made sure that the ball stayed up front more. He had one of his best games his hold up play was excellent.

Bruno and Mikey worked their socks of in the middle with Bruno making some telling passes

Driver plugged away gamely but was matched by Mulgrew in the 2nd half after changing wings, he was more alert than the Sheep defenders for the winner.

Obua got more freedom on the left in the 2nd half and used it to good effect.

Overall the team showed more spirit.

The ref was fussy and favoured Aberdeen at times but didn't quite have the same effect as Hobo McDonald.

I think Csaba got a lot right, our defence was makeshift so he decided to go for attack.

An entertaining game.

Was it more 4-4-2?

Attitude?

Cheers

The main difference IMO was it was a massive game and the players knew it. I dont think we've had much trouble getting "up" for the bigger games. Next most important is that we had two really big performances from forward players (Nade and Obua)

They key now is that they realise that we are at the business end of the season now and EVERY game we have left is just as massive as the Aberdeen game was.

WE are not good enough to get away with lack lustre couldnt care less stuff. That has been proven countless times this season.

A lot of good performances, but I think that our players were seriously ****ed off about what happened at the last game at Pittodrie - Zal's sending off, the winding up in the tunnel after the game.

It is all supposition, but I like to think that they channeled that energy in the best possible way. The heads never went down and there was a real determination to beat Aberdeen.

Maybe it is just an accumulation of confidence over the season.

Either way, we seem to be getting better as the season goes on, hope it continues. This is the business end of the season, the run of games up to the split. After the split never seems to make any difference.

Thunderstruck

Bruno had much more time and space than he had been in previous two games and that contributed to the difference.

Mickey put in a heck of a shift in midfield where his work off the ball was very impressive.

Obua and Driver with Robbie and Wallace stretched the midfield giving more space in middle of the park.

Nade was in and about them, never stopped, never gave them a minute's peace and got some good support from Glen.

Csaba seemed to have a more positive approach to formation (at least in second half) - maybe with a makeshift back line he felt attack was best form of defence.

I think Csaba is right not allways playing Glen, keeping his ego down. As much as i like him one goal against hibs isnt a ticket to first team football every week.

Also Aguiar's ball for nade's goal <3<3<3<3

Archived