Timewasting - The Cure ?

Only a Game

I read somewhere recently that the average time the ball is in play during a game is something like 57 minutes. What is happening to the other 33 minutes !!!!

Suggested cure ? (partial)

A stadium clock which is stopped in the following circumstances.

1. When play is stopped to allow treatment for an injury (This would also take away the need for players to leave the field after treatment which is ridiculous.)

2. When a goal is scored

3. When a substiution is made.

The clock obviously is re-started when play resumes.

There should also be strictly enforced possession and territorial penalties for deliberatly delaying the re-start of play from goal kicks,free kicks and throw ins

I reckon this would gain the paying fan around 10-12 minutes of play per game.

Thoughts ?

I think it's a decent enough system now. The further away from American styled time-keeping the better.

The refs just need to clamp down on the timewasters

Tiberius Stinkfinger
I read somewhere recently that the average time the ball is in play during a game is something like 57 minutes. What is happening to the other 33 minutes !!!!

1. When play is stopped to allow treatment for an injury (This would also take away the need for players to leave the field after treatment which is ridiculous.)

2. When a goal is scored

There should also be strictly enforced possession and territorial penalties for deliberatly delaying the re-start of play from goal kicks,free kicks and throw ins

Thoughts ?

Good thinking but...

You would have to employ an independant body to be in charge of stadium clocks,can you see the GFA sanctioning that ??

I'd go further and make the game last only an hour but have the clock ticking only when the ball is in play.

There's just too many subtle ways of wasting time that a referee isn't going to punish.

At one point today In the OF game about 10 mins passed and the ball was kicked about 5 times. You pay alot of money to watch fouls these days.

One of the things that always gets on my paps is the way that all keepers get away with time wasting at bye kicks when they're ahead by always going to the side furthest away from where they get the ball. :mad:

They should change the rule to force the keeper to take the kick from the nearest side. Fairly petty but it bugs me and it would speed up play a bit.

Suspect Device
One of the things that always gets on my paps is the way that all keepers get away with time wasting at bye kicks when they're ahead by always going to the side furthest away from where they get the ball. :mad:

They should change the rule to force the keeper to take the kick from the nearest side. Fairly petty but it bugs me and it would speed up play a bit.

that used to be the rule, it was changed because goalies were walking to the wrong side and then asking the ref which side to take it from, letting it be taken from either side was ment to speed up things :eek:!

personally, i would leave things as they are, with only one slight change. let the 4th official have a stopwatch to time every piece of time wasting, lengthy injury / contensious decision, subbies etc, once the ref signals that 90 mins is almost up, the 4th official puts up the additional time (dont even let the ref know :tongue:)

2. When a goal is scored

Thoughts ?

it was bad enough hanging on for 3 mins yesterday imagine another 30. if you actualy played 90 mins you would be there to about 6-30 pm

The year is 2009 and I think it's highly likely that we could have a system where the referee stops a 'stadium' clock for recognised stoppages. This would be; goals, substitutions, injuries etc.. That would certainly make things fair!!!!

Archived