Tynecastle...The Name?

Tom Heaney

Anyone any idea where the name Tynecastle comes from. We have Tynecastle School and Tynecastle Park (maybe the school was named after the football ground) I have searched high and low for some info on why the ground is called Tynecastle. Cannot find any references in the area.

Im not aware that the River Tyne (the East Lothian one) ever came up our way, was there ever a castle ?

HELP !!!!!

Captain Lithuania

I think the school might have been named Tynecastle as it was built next to the stadium.

Not sure about the stadium, would love to find out why.

Tynecastle Terrace is the name of the wee road that leads into the Gorgie stand. I think that might be the reason

Tynecastle Terrace is the name of the wee road that leads into the Gorgie stand. I think that might be the reason

The first Tynecastle Park was situated in Wardlaw.

Its where The Name Tynecastle comes from thats the issue but cheers ;)

Whitley Jambo

Think it relates to the payment of a " tigh" in olden times when those taking goods to market had to pass through a gate where tax was paid. There was one on or near the site of Gorgie Road and it got corrupted to Tyne-castle over the years. Nothing to do with rivers etc.

Dont know why I know this but I must have read it somewhere.

I have been interested in the local history of the area and I was told that going back in time there was a smiddy in the the area of McLeod Street (If you look at the original Club Badge the bit in the centre could represent a Blacksmiths forge) which was serviced by a wee burn and that was apparently called the Tyne. The area seemingly got it's name as the "Tyne view of the Castle" then being corrupted to "Tynecastle". It may or may not be true but I quite like the story.

I have been interested in the local history of the area and I was told that going back in time there was a smiddy in the the area of McLeod Street (If you look at the original Club Badge the bit in the centre could represent a Blacksmiths forge) which was serviced by a wee burn and that was apparently called the Tyne. The area seemingly got it's name as the "Tyne view of the Castle" then being corrupted to "Tynecastle". It may or may not be true but I quite like the story.

Cheers guys, both these last 2 seem feasible. On the badge, I was originally led to believe that the bit in the centre were the gates of Edinburgh, or they could be the gates that are refererd to in Whitleys post

Keep Em Coming :D

I thought the name had something to do with the view of the castle from that area?

(Sorry morada just noticed you said that above)

TYNECASTLE LANE

PLACE

TERRACE From ancient toll of that name, o.& n.e. ii. 218. Kirkwood. Tynecastle, part of the estate of Merchiston, feued by the late John Alison from governors of George Watson's Hospital, who built house, circa 1793, eec.j.s. 30 June 1801. Mentioned in v.r. 41. Tynecastle Toll, m.t.c. 17/7/1816, 14/1/1834. Possibly derived by gaelic Tigh-na-caistel, or Tigh-an-chaisteil, meaning the castle near that place.

From the The History and Derivation of Edinburgh Street Names

Charlie-Brown

Most of the local place names are Scots pronunciations of older pre-existing Celtic language names given to those places, usually based on descriptions of local geographical features.

Most of the local place names are Scots pronunciations of older pre-existing Celtic language names given to those places, usually based on descriptions of local geographical features.

"Tyne" is a Brythonic word meaning simply "River". As well as the Lothian and Newcastle Tynes there's also the river Teign in Devon.

I P Knightley
"Tyne" is a Brythonic word meaning simply "River". As well as the Lothian and Newcastle Tynes there's also the river Teign in Devon.

So the River Tyne is another example of the 'river river.' There's a few instances of that kicking around.

TYNECASTLE LANE

PLACE

TERRACE From ancient toll of that name, o.& n.e. ii. 218. Kirkwood. Tynecastle, part of the estate of Merchiston, feued by the late John Alison from governors of George Watson's Hospital, who built house, circa 1793, eec.j.s. 30 June 1801. Mentioned in v.r. 41. Tynecastle Toll, m.t.c. 17/7/1816, 14/1/1834. Possibly derived by gaelic Tigh-na-caistel, or Tigh-an-chaisteil, meaning the castle near that place.

From the The History and Derivation of Edinburgh Street Names

Thats absolutely right and we go through this every six months. People like Tom Heaney should be big enough to remember this sort of stuff :laugh:

Tom - and anyone else interested - Have a look at the map on this link http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map_edinburgh_1870_south-west_large.htm

Thanks for the map - looking at the scale of known streets like Caledonian Crescent - so the railway that cuts Gorgie Road would be the McLoud Street bridge. The original Tynecastle Park was situated in Wardlaw Street and Place - about a mile from the toll.

WorldChampions1902
Good shout too about the Tigh, the Toll Gate was apparently situated near where the Tivoli Cinema is/was.

Morada, you certainly know your local history.

There was indeed an ancient Toll House located beside the Tivoli. The Toll House was demolished in the 1920's and for those that are interested, here's a wee photie, taken from the Gorgie Farm side of the road..................

FinalTollhouseat600dpi.jpg

The Old Tolbooth
Thats absolutely right and we go through this every six months. People like Tom Heaney should be big enough to remember this sort of stuff :laugh:

Heh heh heh, I thought exactly the same thing mate.

Come on Tom, even I knew this one :tongue:

anyone know anything about the "asylum" opposite the toll

did it become robbo's

The "Asylum" is the Tynecastle House building on your left at you first come into Gorgie Road.

For your information, "The Green Tree" became Robbo's.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
The "Asylum" is the Tynecastle House building on your left at you first come into Gorgie Road.

Good memories of that place, stopped me getting nicked one night :D

As for your second point :D

Mods, any chance of this thread going in Classic Kickback? Not so much "classic" in the humour sense but worthy nevertheless for all us old codgers who like this sort of thing.

Pittodrie

c 14th Century gaelic word meaning in old Scots (broken down) 'Pitt' - "rustlings of paper", 'od' - "famous in a far off decade", 'rie' - "we had 4,000 in the Roseburn, fit like".

Buffalo Bill

Pittodrie

c 14th Century gaelic word meaning in old Scots (broken down) 'Pitt' - "rustlings of paper", 'od' - "famous in a far off decade", 'rie' - "we had 4,000 in the Roseburn, fit like".

Buffalo Bill

Kan-e-fussle-min?

Charlie-Brown
Pittodrie

Buffalo Bill

Pittodrie actually means hill of dung.

Charlie-Brown

Gorgie is an area of west Edinburgh, Scotland, located near Murrayfield, Ardmillan and Dalry. It is home to Tynecastle Stadium, home of Scottish Premier League side Heart of Midlothian Football Club, and the North British Distillery, which creates a distinctive odour in parts of the area.

The area was developed in the 19th century and was a mixture of residential and industrial. Many factories developed in the district, including McVitie and Price's biscuit factory; Cox's glue and gelatin works; the Caledonian Brewery and various chemical works, which utilised the water supply from the Water of Leith and the Union Canal, which terminated in a nearby basin. The area was also traversed by both the Caledonian Railway and the North British Railway – both companies had stations in the vicinity.[1]

The name is thought to be Brythonic in origin. Early forms suggest it derives from gor gyn – upper wedge – which may refer to the tapering shape of the land between the Water of Leith and the Craiglockhart hills. Gorgie is recorded in 12th century charters of Holyrood Abbey.[2]

The area contains Gorgie City Farm, and retains a number of smaller businesses, including two laundrettes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgie

Spingwell house wasn't an asylum but a "Magdaline" house of correction run by nuns for girls who had either fallen on hard times or got themselvs into "trouble".

Charlie-Brown
Spingwell house wasn't an asylum but a "Magdaline" house of correction run by nuns for girls who had either fallen on hard times or got themselvs into "trouble".

Prior to being under Social Work Dept. control Springwell House was previously Dalry Girls Reformatory School and before that Magdalene Asylum - as the name suggests it was originally the site of a 'spring' well.

Charlie-Brown

Ardmillan means the ' high bare place ' in original Scottish Gaelic Aird a'Mhaolain.

The name of Dalry is believed to derive from Dail Ruigh, Scottish Gaelic for the "Meadow Slope".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalry,_Edinburgh

Craiglockhart, the name appears to be an anglicisation of the Scottish Gaelic, Creag Loch ?rd or Art, meaning the "Rock of the High Loch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craiglockhart

Ardmillan means the ' high bare place ' in original Scottish Gaelic Aird a'Mhaolain.

The name of Dalry is believed to derive from Dail Ruigh, Scottish Gaelic for the "Meadow Slope".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalry,_Edinburgh

Craiglockhart, the name appears to be an anglicisation of the Scottish Gaelic, Creag Loch ?rd or Art, meaning the "Rock of the High Loch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craiglockhart

Charles - that High Loch, aka Happy Valley Pond, brings back all sorts of fond memories. But of course, if you lived in "Outer Gorgie" what determined what school you went to was Gorgie Road itself. Kids on the north side went to Craiglockhart, kids on the south went to Dalry. As for those that went to Orwell, School for Normal Children, god knows what the rule was for them.

anyone know anything about the "asylum" opposite the toll

did it become robbo's

I think thats where Vlad stays when he's here.:D

Charlie-Brown
Charles - that High Loch, aka Happy Valley Pond, brings back all sorts of fond memories. But of course, if you lived in "Outer Gorgie" what determined what school you went to was Gorgie Road itself. Kids on the north side went to Craiglockhart, kids on the south went to Dalry. As for those that went to Orwell, School for Normal Children, god knows what the rule was for them.

Was there not a wee school opposite Gorgie station / station bar?

Was there not a wee school opposite Gorgie station / station bar?

Yip - it was called Pentlands Something. These were the days when Gorgie was breeding like mad and 16 houses in every tenement had an average of nearly 3 kids. Imagine 70 people on average in every stair. Living in almost as much space as one of these big posh houses up next to Happy Valley Pond.

Charlie-Brown
Yip - it was called Pentlands Something. These were the days when Gorgie was breeding like mad and 16 houses in every tenement had an average of nearly 3 kids. Imagine 70 people on average in every stair. Living in almost as much space as one of these big posh houses up next to Happy Valley Pond.

There must've been quite a sizeable local population between the 4 bridges in those days Vera - care to hazard a guess at numbers?

There must've been quite a sizeable local population between the 4 bridges in those days Vera - care to hazard a guess at numbers?

Easy to hedge a calculation - 1960's population. The Wardlaws + ST + RB block, Wheat/Westfield block, Gorgie Road axis, McC street and the other odd streets and "pens". Quick calculation brings me in at around 12-14,000.

The teeming Gorgie slums. Newton Street had easily the most dense population and poverty challenges.

Remember to include the 4,000 Aberdeen fans in the Roseburn

Buffalo Bill

Heh heh heh, I thought exactly the same thing mate.

Come on Tom, even I knew this one :tongue:

OH SHURRUP,

Well you should have read my mind and told me on Sat when I saw ye' :D

OH SHURRUP,

Well you should have read my mind and told me on Sat when I saw ye' :D

are you back home????? i'm so far west i've lost touch :-)

are you back home????? i'm so far west i've lost touch :-)

Yup Davy, Got back around here last June, just in time to formulate a plan to challenge for 3rd place :-)

BlackhallJambo
Gorgie is an area of west Edinburgh, Scotland, located near Murrayfield, Ardmillan and Dalry. It is home to Tynecastle Stadium, home of Scottish Premier League side Heart of Midlothian Football Club, and the North British Distillery, which creates a distinctive odour in parts of the area.

The area was developed in the 19th century and was a mixture of residential and industrial. Many factories developed in the district, including McVitie and Price's biscuit factory; Cox's glue and gelatin works; the Caledonian Brewery and various chemical works, which utilised the water supply from the Water of Leith and the Union Canal, which terminated in a nearby basin. The area was also traversed by both the Caledonian Railway and the North British Railway – both companies had stations in the vicinity.[1]

The name is thought to be Brythonic in origin. Early forms suggest it derives from gor gyn – upper wedge – which may refer to the tapering shape of the land between the Water of Leith and the Craiglockhart hills. Gorgie is recorded in 12th century charters of Holyrood Abbey.[2]

The area contains Gorgie City Farm, and retains a number of smaller businesses, including two laundrettes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgie

I was led to believe it came from old Norse meaning "a place of massacre for those from the docks"

Era Macaroons
Cheers guys, both these last 2 seem feasible. On the badge, I was originally led to believe that the bit in the centre were the gates of Edinburgh, or they could be the gates that are refererd to in Whitleys post

Keep Em Coming :D

The bit in the middle of the badge is a 'ye olde' football.

where 3 strips of leather were sown together to make a panel, with 6 panels making a ball.

like the thumbnail below except in the Hearts badge you are looking straight on to one of the panels. the ' //// ' you see across the middle in some badges is stitching.

old football_thumb.jpg

Shandon means classy, it was named by the normans, who also named a place in the Champagne region of france, as in Moet et Chandon, maybe this has something to do with Moat too? the caledonian brewery in 1934 made a sparkling wine called moat and shandon, but it never really took off

Archived