Gordon starting tonight...

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Looks like it might be Mcgregor in goals for Scotland for the forthcoming Scotland games then, if Gordon doesn't get his Sunderland place back. God help us on this season's form McGergor has shown.

Don't really go in for this first choice keeper coming back from injury needs to wait for the understudy to ****** up before getting his place back. The manager should be picking his strongest team.

Guess we'll have to see at their next league game to find out. Reckon Sbragia is keeping them both on their toes with his statement but expect Gordon to be back in.

From the match report on BBC:

"Black Cats keeper Craig Gordon made several top saves but could not stop Aaron Mokoena's 25-yard strike."

"Gordon, returning after 10 weeks sidelined with injury, was in excellent form and denied Keith Treacy and Jason Roberts as Rovers pushed for an equaliser. "

"BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match:

Sunderland's Dean Gordon 8.52 (on 90 minutes). "

Assuming 'Dean' is Craig, of course :laugh:

portobellojambo1

Craig was given MOTM according to the BBC website, although for same strange reason they are choosing to refer to him as Dean Gordon.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just seen the highlights.

Craigieboy was absolutely brilliant. About 4 top class saves. :)

Fulop my arse.

Looked pretty sharp after a long lay off.

I thought it looked like Santa Cruz actually applauded Craig for one of his stops.

Might have done better for the second, but I am sure he will come good.

Go on craig!

Having seen the highlights he done well considering it was his first game back in a while. What was that fat ***** on setanta all about eh... You would think with him being out for so long he would want to come back in and show Sbragia that he is worth the #1 spot and i thought he could've done better, "scottish Goalkeepers" he says :mad:. Take a hard look at your own keepers before you have a cheap shot at scottish players ya tramp.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that felt that way about the bloaters remarks on Setanta. I was so annoyed that I sent off an e-mail to them:

Hello

I've just watched your excellent coverage of Everton v Liverpool tonight and enjoyed it thoroughly. Then we had highlights of the other matches that were on tonight including Blackburn v Sunderland.

After these overly long highlights there was a studio discussion which included one of the pundits, a big man called Pat something having a go at Sunderland and Scotland keeper Craig Gordon. No mention was made of several excellent saves that he made tonight which were enthused over by the Irish commentator but he chose to pick fault with him for both Blackburn goals. The first was an absolute screamer that no goalkeeper anywhere would have gotten close to. The second was a free header from McCarthy that looped over him. Not only were his comments unfounded but he made the usual English commentator smart-arsed remark about "Scottish goalkeepers pah'.

I'm not the type to take offence easily but that annoyed me greatly. I appreciate that studio pundits are there to add colour and another opinion but that was nothing short of typical snotty nosed English prejudice. The irony is that the English national team isn't exactly flush with great goalkeepers right now.

I'd appreciate your take on this matter

Scott Wilson

Ar$e.

Having seen the highlights he done well considering it was his first game back in a while. What was that fat ***** on setanta all about eh... You would think with him being out for so long he would want to come back in and show Sbragia that he is worth the #1 spot and i thought he could've done better, "scottish Goalkeepers" he says :mad:. Take a hard look at your own keepers before you have a cheap shot at scottish players ya tramp.

What a tool he was. Fat slag.

He ripped Gordon apart for the 2nd goal but what was he supposed to do when the striker was 6 yards out with a free header?!

I'm glad it wasn't just me that felt that way about the bloaters remarks on Setanta. I was so annoyed that I sent off an e-mail to them:

Hello

I've just watched your excellent coverage of Everton v Liverpool tonight and enjoyed it thoroughly. Then we had highlights of the other matches that were on tonight including Blackburn v Sunderland.

After these overly long highlights there was a studio discussion which included one of the pundits, a big man called Pat something having a go at Sunderland and Scotland keeper Craig Gordon. No mention was made of several excellent saves that he made tonight which were enthused over by the Irish commentator but he chose to pick fault with him for both Blackburn goals. The first was an absolute screamer that no goalkeeper anywhere would have gotten close to. The second was a free header from McCarthy that looped over him. Not only were his comments unfounded but he made the usual English commentator smart-arsed remark about "Scottish goalkeepers pah'.

I'm not the type to take offence easily but that annoyed me greatly. I appreciate that studio pundits are there to add colour and another opinion but that was nothing short of typical snotty nosed English prejudice. The irony is that the English national team isn't exactly flush with great goalkeepers right now.

I'd appreciate your take on this matter

Scott Wilson

Ar$e.

:D

You must let us know your response ha.

Just seen the highlights.

Craigieboy was absolutely brilliant. About 4 top class saves. :)

Fulop my arse.

Still superglued to his line for balls into the box though.............2nd goal ???.....hmmmmmmmmm

poor craig :(

Anyone in goals at Sunderland is up against it IMO but he's still an amazing keeper :)

If McGregor is picked over him i'll need to get my voodoo doll kit out..be afraid George be very afraid :laugh:

:108years:

Still superglued to his line for balls into the box though.............2nd goal ???.....hmmmmmmmmm

Give him the benefit of the doubt. He's been out for 3 months. Where was the marking anyway? Free header from 6 yards is a goal 9 times out of 10.

He also gets zero protection from his defence. They seem to think it's alright to give away fouls on the edge of the box!

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Who was Brian Little's bouncer on Setanta tonight , totally ripped into Gordon

well out of order he was . Craigie made several top drawer saves

The first Blackburn goal was a beauty and the second was shocking defending

dead ball set-piece onto an unmarked possibly offside Benny McCarthey who

then ran up around 15 rows into the crowd , didn't think he even got booked .

Give him the benefit of the doubt. He's been out for 3 months. Where was the marking anyway? Free header from 6 yards is a goal 9 times out of 10.

He also gets zero protection from his defence. They seem to think it's alright to give away fouls on the edge of the box!

Wasnt neccesarily blaming him for the goal. The marking was to blame. But some goalkeepers would have come for that and punched it. When we conceded goals when we had Gordon, the fact that he didnt come off his line was usually a part of the reason we conceded. Always been the weak point in his game. Still is, apparently

Wasnt neccesarily blaming him for the goal. The marking was to blame. But some goalkeepers would have come for that and punched it. When we conceded goals when we had Gordon, the fact that he didnt come off his line was usually a part of the reason we conceded. Always been the weak point in his game. Still is, apparently

I'll give you the punch, but the vast majority of modern day goalies don't come for cross balls. And the one's that do tend to be erratic and lose some bizarrely soft goals (McGregor, Reina, Lehamn I can think of)

Not saying you OAG, but there are people out there who strongly believe you are only a good goalie if you come for every cross.

It's an urban myth that I can't fathom out why people, years on, still buy into.

A bit like captains don't have to be talented footballers, but if they spend 90 minutes doing nothing else but shout - they are great.

Well done Craig on a near perfect return. Class always rises to the top.

I'll give you the punch, but the vast majority of modern day goalies don't come for cross balls. And the one's that do tend to be erratic and lose some bizarrely soft goals (McGregor, Reina, Lehamn I can think of)

Not saying you OAG, but there are people out there who strongly believe you are only a good goalie if you come for every cross.

It's an urban myth that I can't fathom out why people, years on, still buy into.

A bit like captains don't have to be talented footballers, but if they spend 90 minutes doing nothing else but shout - they are great.

Well done Craig on a near perfect return. Class always rises to the top.

I'm not advocating that he comes out for EVERY ball. Its got to be part of the decision making process of a goalkeeper though. Yes he was good tonight. No chance with the first goal IMO and several outstanding saves. Might have come for the cross for the second, but by the same token might not have got there. It was merely an observation that he doesnt EVER come off his line, not that he should come for everything.

I'm not advocating that he comes out for EVERY ball. Its got to be part of the decision making process of a goalkeeper though. Yes he was good tonight. No chance with the first goal IMO and several outstanding saves. Might have come for the cross for the second, but by the same token might not have got there. It was merely an observation that he doesnt EVER come off his line, not that he should come for everything.

Gordon has fantastic reactions, he's tall and built for the fingertip stretch. On his line he can look to catch, deflect, punch while coming out for the cross it's mainly hand to ball and the miss leaves the goal open.

For me, it's not a question of not being able to come off his line for crosses, more that he's better suited staying on the line as a last ditch stopper for when the defenders don't get to the ball. This time they didn't and he had little chance from the header.

Pat Dolan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Dolan

Dunno what his problem is with Gordon. When he has been fit, Gordon has been brilliant for a Sunderland defence that would shame a kickabout in the park.

He's a fecking nobody.

What a bloody cheek he's got having a go at someone who's actually made it in the game.

Walloper.

Thank you!!! I though I was the only one who had seen this pair on Setanta giving Gordon grief and the backhanded comment "Scottish goalies eh??" totally wound me up and normally nothing that pundits say winds me up at all.

Fair enough he might have done better with the second goal, though I still think giving Benni McCarthy a free header in the box will always result in a goal, but they completely glossed over the fact that he made a string of excellent saves, they tried to say he could have done better with the first but there was no way that was the case, it was a terrific goal and I think they are just saying that because he seemed to get a hand on it as it went by. No mention of the bad defending for the second goal either, totally bizarre punditry.

That guy on Setanta last night was an embarrassment. I'm English and I've written a similar email of complaint. Totally ignorant and un-necessary.

I would be more inclined to blame the centre backs. Both of them were ball watching and he was completely unmarked.

jambos are go!

I would have expected a fully match fit Gordon or any top class keeper to on average have saved at least one of the goals.

We need to be more ruthless, Sbragia

/ News / News Archive / We need to be more ruthless, Sbragia /

Boss Ricky Sbragia's reaction to Sunderland's FA Cup defeat at Blackburn:

"We got off to a good start, we went one up and then we started to play on the back foot, but that was credit to Blackburn as well.

"Craig [Gordon] has made a number of good saves for us; he kept us in the game.

"Craig had to show he was match fit and he did, he has shown that he is on the way. He made some important saves and he'll be satisfied with his performance.

"I thought their equaliser was a soft goal, it took a deflection off Anton [Ferdinand]

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Guest JamboRobbo

I would be more inclined to blame the centre backs. Both of them were ball watching and he was completely unmarked.

Indeed. Plus they'd let Santa Cruz get exactly the same chance not long before, and CG bailed them out. Wee bit later, and the same defence this time give McCarthy a free header from 6 yards out.

Own up.

Dolan's knowledge of scottish goalies has no beginning. he's setantas oliver hardy to paul dempseys stan laurel. a complete c0ck of a man.

My moneys on Le Chat. :D

I would have expected a fully match fit Gordon or any top class keeper to on average have saved at least one of the goals.

Who could have saved the first, a deflected strike into the top corner? Are you having a laugh?

Own up.

Dolan's knowledge of scottish goalies has no beginning. he's setantas oliver hardy to paul dempseys stan laurel. a complete c0ck of a man.

Where did that come from???

Rudolf's Mate

Fat Sam said "Their goalkeeper made some unbelievable saves and we missed"

Keeps it up and he'll be looking at going to a bigger club come the summer!

Own up.

:laugh:

Not guilty m'lud.

Archived