Gordon starting tonight...

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Craig Gordon is set to be handed the gloves for the Black-Cats FA Cup replay

tomorrow night , will Romanov also be rubbing his hands with another payment

on the way to Ukio Bankas ?

Will be good to see Craigie back between the sticks although his No 2 Fulop has

been playing well , it seems a bit strange or is he injured ?

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=16784

The suggestion elsewhere is gordon will need to oust Fulop therefore unless he has an absolutely cracking game tomorrow he could be dropped again at the weekend.

Very strange just to write off the FA cup to the level Sbragia seems to be.

Very strange just to write off the FA cup to the level Sbragia seems to be.

Shhh! the fat finn will be using that excuse next:108years:

Taken from The Times.

Blackburn v Sunderland (8pm)

Craig Gordon, the Sunderland goalkeeper, has been told that he cannot be sure of an automatic place in the starting XI during talks with Ricky Sbragia, the manager, over his future (Jason Mellor writes). Gordon, Britain?s most expensive goalkeeper after his ?9 million move from Heart of Midlothian in 2007, makes only his second start since mid-October this evening after overcoming an ankle injury. In his absence, Marton Fulop has made the position his own.

?Craig came to see me because he?s a bit worried about what?s happening in general,? Sbragia said. ?He knows he has a fight on his hands because nobody?s place is guaranteed. Before, he probably thought he would walk in automatically, but we need competition in every area.?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5655159.ece

Dr Ian Malcolm

Sbragia's saying what you'd expect, but I'd imagine Gordon will be back as the regualr number one before long. Scotland's number one or Martin Fulop? No brainer.

I can't see Niall Quinn being to happy if it turns out they've shelled out ?9 million for a back up keeper.

If that is the case, then fair enough. He has'nt played in a few months bar one game where he was still injured, the other guy Fullop has been playing reasonably, its only fair that he keeps his place. Bad news for us as we won't get the performance related money for him.

To be fair the guy has been out for months and his replacement has done pretty well in his absense.

It's up to CG to fight for his place and justify his number 1 shirt, I dont honestly think he has shown his best form since moving....

Guest JamboRobbo

I think the quotes there might be getting exagerated a bit by the papers. Yeah, he's got to earn it, but was reading the manager the other day and it sounded like he rates CG and expects him to be #1 again, and felt a bit bad about being part of the decision that got him re-injured in the first place.

I work beside 2 x sand dancers who go to the matches regularly and have stuck with Sunderland through thick and thin. Both them say they can't wait to see Craig back in goals again

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Where are the "I hope his career goes down the toilet" posts?

I think the quotes there might be getting exagerated a bit by the papers. Yeah, he's got to earn it, but was reading the manager the other day and it sounded like he rates CG and expects him to be #1 again, and felt a bit bad about being part of the decision that got him re-injured in the first place.

That is 100% spot on. Sbragia feels very much responsible for his additional time out of the side.

it wouldn't be the first time a club has deliberately left out a player in order to avoid having to pay an appearance related transfer fee 'add-on'. that could happen to gordon. hopefully hearts have a sell on clause in the event of them not getting paid out for the appearance related fee.

The headline and first paragraph are misleading. At no point does Sbragia say any such thing.

Sbragia just says the same any good manager would. I fully expect Gordon to be the Sunderland first choice 'keeper again by the end of February.

Guest JamboRobbo
it wouldn't be the first time a club has deliberately left out a player in order to avoid having to pay an appearance related transfer fee 'add-on'. that could happen to gordon. hopefully hearts have a sell on clause in the event of them not getting paid out for the appearance related fee.

Sunderland just turned down 20M for Kenwin Jones. They've paid more than 7M for gordon already. I doubt they're fretting over 330k somehow.........

The headline and first paragraph are misleading. At no point does Sbragia say any such thing.

Sbragia just says the same any good manager would. I fully expect Gordon to be the Sunderland first choice 'keeper again by the end of February.

Exactly. When theres competition for a berth, any competent manager plays off one against the other. One busts a gut to keep the shirt, the other busts a gut to get it back. Textbook player management by Sbragia, nothing more nothing less.

Sunderland just turned down 20M for Kenwin Jones. They've paid more than 7M for gordon already. I doubt they're fretting over 330k somehow.........

?330,000?

Guest JamboRobbo
?330,000?

is that not that latest installment they are due us when he plays another 5 games or so? To be fair, think I read that figure on here, so it may well be total BS. :laugh:

is that not that latest installment they are due us when he plays another 5 games or so? To be fair, think I read that figure on here, so it may well be total BS. :laugh:

i though it was a straight ?1M after a certain number of games. you could be right about installments.

as you say i don't suppose they are shaking with fright at paying out ?1M if they have spent that kind of money.

I watched the game on Sunday, Fulop was dodgy as feck.

Craigie ****es all over this guy.

that is true.

Craig gordon has 2 scotland games to look forward as well and he'll be busy on the 28th of March away to Holland :eek:

back to fitness and the manager says he's no longer first choice. nothing more than mind games.

Good luck to him, but my main concern is him getting to that number of games that trigger Sunderland giving us some chi chiiiing.

Money makes the world go round.

alwaysthereinspirit

Quite a bit of pressure on Gordon tonight then. An away cup game. He's not suddenly become a bad goalie overnight but he must realise he needs to win the jersey back.

Confident he will.

I dont want McGregor as Scotlands #1.:eek:

alwaysthereinspirit

Just read Sunderland are going to play a weakened team. Was wondering if Hearts fans would ever think that playing a cup game with a weakened team could ever be right.

I would be pi$$ed.

i though it was a straight ?1M after a certain number of games. you could be right about installments.

as you say i don't suppose they are shaking with fright at paying out ?1M if they have spent that kind of money.

Gordon having a few clean sheets to get them a few places further up the league come May would be worth far more than ?1m.

Mon the Craig!

berrathanhibs
I work beside 2 x sand dancers who go to the matches regularly and have stuck with Sunderland through thick and thin. Both them say they can't wait to see Craig back in goals again

a live in north yorkshire and when i listen in to the centuary fm phone in(the equvlent to our real radio) the mackems do not really like gordon and it makes my blood boil wi some o the pish they come out with. there is one thts a hobo n he does my head right in.:108years:

If Sunderland agreed to a sell-on clause, on top of paying a British transfer record for a keeper, then I will never doubt Vlad's transfer methods again!

That's surely the equivalent saying Leeds have a sell-on clause in Rio Ferdinand's Man Utd contract!

:laugh:

Good luck to him, but my main concern is him getting to that number of games that trigger Sunderland giving us some chi chiiiing.

Some ching?! Is that what ?9m plus add ons means?! :laugh:

Radioactive Mince
To be fair the guy has been out for months and his replacement has done pretty well in his absense.

It's up to CG to fight for his place and justify his number 1 shirt, I dont honestly think he has shown his best form since moving....

I agree with all of that. Maybe this will be the kick up the arse the boy needs to prove his doubters wrong.

Gordon seems to be starting tonight for Sunderland at Blackburn.

Good to see him back, and one step closer to that ?300k or whatever it is.:D

Gordon seems to be starting tonight for Sunderland at Blackburn.

Good to see him back, and one step closer to that ?300k or whatever it is.:D

Opps.

Didnt realise there was a thread so old about it.

Valid merge.:o

listening aswell, boy said he just made a superb, yes superb save. now craig get playing and get us some extra cash from your appearances. good lad!

Footballfirst

Radio 5 Live reporting that Gordon has been "magnificent" tonight. Should be able to see the highlights on ITV (England) at 22:50

Just mentioned again that he has been in magnificent form in him comeback from injury. Hopefully he can keep Fulop out the team and of course that hibby **** Colgan!

Fozzyonthefence

Looks like it might be Mcgregor in goals for Scotland for the forthcoming Scotland games then, if Gordon doesn't get his Sunderland place back. God help us on this season's form McGergor has shown.

Don't really go in for this first choice keeper coming back from injury needs to wait for the understudy to ****** up before getting his place back. The manager should be picking his strongest team.

Archived