GETTING OLDER AND FOLLOWING HEARTS

harvey05

Used to ruin my weekend when we got beat, particularly if coming back from Pittodrie or some other freezin wasteland but, after 98 somethin clicked with me and I found it a lot easier to just get on with my life. Dunno if it's age or havin kids or wot but it passes quicker when I'm on a downer and I just look forwards.

I no longer feel that I can influence the way the team plays by wearing the same daft coat or undies either. Kinda sad.

At 51 I still love the buzz on Saturday morning before the game,but nowadays its a social event as opposed to a sporting event.

I like seeing people ive seen over the many years of going to Tynecastle and doing exactly what we do occasionally on here...blab about the old days following Hearts.

I couldnt do without football as its been a huge part of my life and hopefully it will continue for a long time yet.

Hmm, what a good thread eh?

Well I can relate to Blackhall Jambo and Francis Albert and a few more. I started just after the Conn Bauld and Wardhaugh era and suffered the heartbreak of the Killie match when they stole the league off us. Watched on as Bobby Ferguson saved a point blank shot from Alan Gordon in the dying minutes, greetin ma face off like a numptie, so I suppose I got well christened with that sickener.

Chairman Lindsay was a git, remember he used to stay in one of those big houses along from the Barnton roundabout, with the marroon windaes, used to think he must have fleeced the club to live there... then disgust when the likes of Arthur Mann got sold...etc etc

So '98 was my first trophy in over 33 years and boy do I treasure that one. Can't go to games any more for certain health reasons but never miss a game on the net or Radio Scotland and keep reading JKB every day though I don't post alot.

There's just no substitute as they say, I'll always be a Jambo. I organise my time around the games, everything else is secondary. I'm philosophical about the current situation, take the highs when we win, kick the dug when we don't.

Archived