GETTING OLDER AND FOLLOWING HEARTS

harvey05

And getting more p....d off by the year.

Why is it?

Is football becoming a younger supporters game?

or is it just because i support Hearts?

68 was my first cup final and then followed....... well you all know, disappointment until "98", the third best day in my life.

It seems that everytime i start to take an interest in results and signings,ones left with an empty feeling, it just don't happen.

We are continually let down by directors\owners.

So, the question is in the thread.

Is being a football fan a sport for the younger generation?

OH! this might be my last post for a year

I find as I get older (41 now :eek:) I support the team just as much as when I was younger but can equate the running of the club to results on the pitch a lot easier. Basically, anything we can achieve with this nutter in charge is a bonus, so I don't feel as badly let down as I probably would if I was say 18-25ish at the moment.

Conclusion - "NO" is my answer to your question!

Rudolf's Mate

It used to be that a bad result could ruin my weekend! That has all changed since Romanov started tinkering. I was also one of the ones who said in the summer that this was definately his last chance. In that I mean I really don't want the lying ****bag anywhere near our club!

Why is it?

68 was my first cup final and then followed....... well you all know, disappointment until "98", the third best day in my life.

It seems that everytime i start to take an interest in results and signings,ones left with an empty feeling, it just don't happen.

Nothing new there - we've been let down by the directors of this club as far back as I can remember - right back to when we sold Mckay and Young for comparative "sweeties".

On the "feeling empty" side of things - nothing can compare with the feelings of despair and emptiness that I had in the late seventies and early eighties when the club really did almost go to the wall.

Things ain't too bad just now - though they could be better. Things could be worse - you could be a season ticket holder at the San Giro!

I would hazard a guess that it's the Burley period that has f***** you up ! I'm certainly suffering from it and, much as I lapped it up at the time, I sometimes wish it had almost never happened as it 'colours' almost every step we now take.

Fans should realise that this season means as much as any and don`t sit and wait on this dream that one day Hearts will sweep all aside.....

2 cups in the last 11 years or 47 if you want to use the end of the golden era as a marker......

We`ve had many good and bad times to recall but each season that passes and we miss another chance to win something or qualify for more glory nights in europe adds more anguish.

Really desperate to see the club return to some sort of consistency were we play in europe and win trophies more often........lifes too short in football years!!!:rolleyes:

Nucky Thompson

I was 31 before I saw Hearts lift a trophy. I kept going through my younger years hoping that we would lift something in my lifetime. After '86 and another few Semifinal disasters, I thought it was never going to happen. I reckon the younger Hearts fans are spoiled with 2 Cups, the Burley season, loads of European trips and countless humiliations of the Hobos:108years:

scott herbertson
I was 31 before I saw Hearts lift a trophy. I kept going through my younger years hoping that we would lift something in my lifetime. After '86 and another few Semifinal disasters, I thought it was never going to happen. I reckon the younger Hearts fans are spoiled with 2 Cups, the Burley season, loads of European trips and countless humiliations of the Hobos:108years:

I think that's true for older fans too. I watched Hearts for 34 years from the age of 8 until the first cup win. Only a league win could better that and the missed opportunities inthe burley period make it likely that will not happen in my lifetime.

So I'm less manic these days, but still a big jambo and I'll never stop being one either

I think that's true for older fans too. I watched Hearts for 34 years from the age of 8 until the first cup win. Only a league win could better that and the missed opportunities inthe burley period make it likely that will not happen in my lifetime.

So I'm less manic these days, but still a big jambo and I'll never stop being one either

That, perhaps is the answer. You mellow and are not as manic as before.

Pity that though! eh??????

Im 16 and have already seen Hearts lift 2 trophies, hump the hibs (many,many times)and been to many European nights! I can see me as being 'spoilt' and I cant imagine what its like to not see us win anything for 30+ years. I've been a season ticket holder since I was 5 and Hearts becomes more important to me every season. To me being a football fan is more than a sport, it's a way of life!

I'm 32...I was at Dens and Hampden with my dad in 86..and missed both the cup finals..the first due to uni exams and the second as my son was 1 week old ... so hey all you lot dwelling on how great (or not) we are..it could be worse..you could be me having been to every major let down since i was 8 but never having been able to do anything other than cheer the fecking bus home! FWIW I love being a jambo and I wouldn't change it for the world even if it is a rollercoaster..that should be part of being a fan surely

Stupid Sexy Flanders
I'm 32...I was at Dens and Hampden with my dad in 86..and missed both the cup finals..the first due to uni exams and the second as my son was 1 week old ... so hey all you lot dwelling on how great (or not) we are..it could be worse..you could be me having been to every major let down since i was 8 but never having been able to do anything other than cheer the fecking bus home! FWIW I love being a jambo and I wouldn't change it for the world even if it is a rollercoaster..that should be part of being a fan surely

Exactly. How boring would it be to be an OF fan?! Slightly off topic, but my Grandad always says, "They might win more trophies, but we're better people."

Some posters may remember a thread in December 2007 about my Uncle Jim Duncan who had just passed away, he held a season ticket from just after the war and had watched the JTs from 1927. He used to fill me with stories all the time about how Hearts had attracted problems with owners / chairman throughout his time following Hearts.

From memory there was somebody Bill Lindsay, then the club nearly went under in the early 80s with mis-management obviously a reason, Wallace then endured some serious protests which were then followed by "Pieman-gate" and now we have Vlad.

Never once in all the years we went to the games together did he suggest he'd had enough or ever once think about not going back - even at the age of 89 a Saturday was the highlight of his week. He did stop attending midweek games but come the Aberdeen CL night he made a huge effort and made it to the game such was his love for Hearts (despite all the lows)!

Sorry to go on but my point is don't chuck in the towel, I'm sure we'll have many more highs and lows and forget the younger generation guff (I'm 28), I love seeing older guys go to the games especially those who can tell a tale of the "Terrible Trio" and before! Keep the Faith and in 30 years you'll be telling all the young guys around you about the days of Drew Busby, John Robertson etc etc

well said alloa..just what i was thinking..and i bet their boards whinge even more than this one!!

As my son turns 3 soon..despite the fact I've moved from gorgie to sunny Falkirk I am entirely optmistic he shall follow the proud generations of Hearts fans in the family before him..my role in life simply has to be avoiding him taking up with OF or Falkirk!! lol

To think in Edinburgh it was not having him turn to the dark side as his dad's the equivalent of darth vadar..got zero worries there now thankfully!!

:108years:

hahaha slightly OT, but i went into labour that CL Aberdeen night just at spill out time as i'd been listening on the radio..i lived right across the road from Tynie..flipping nightmare..my dad was in the crowd not knowing the other drama across the road and the traffic was in deadlock!! Never banged my head off a car door as much since! :laugh:

Craig Herbertson

Like my brother I supported Hearts as a tiny wee lad. First game five years old. I followed them religiously until I was about seventeen and then had a saturday job and drifted a bit. Apart a brief period in the wasteland where I always took an interest in the results but not much else I gradually began to creep back. But I really thought it all meant very little to me until 98.

Like everyone who missed the glory days I had more or less been battered into submission but that cup win brought home the uttrer vacuum I'd lived in. Please don't think its a simple as being a glory hunter or only singing when they'r winning. It's just that after living in a desert, one drop of water is enough to revive you.

Since then I've found I'm getting more enthsiastic. Since Tynecastle went up for sale and survived I have a belief that the supporters really can change a clubs destiny. Rather than give up ( and believe me I understand) start thinking of ways to change this club and get the league won. Then I can happily die.

my dad could not drill it into my head that im spoilt if he tried, he was 40 odds before he had been on an away european trip i was a mere 14 when i was in rotterdam for feyenoord.

I would hazard a guess that it's the Burley period that has f***** you up ! I'm certainly suffering from it and, much as I lapped it up at the time, I sometimes wish it had almost never happened as it 'colours' almost every step we now take.

Think this is when i also started to say to myself...ach...what's the point. As the years (since 1985) have passed, all we've seen is one of the "bigott brothers" winning what has basically became a non-competitive League, and getting worse in the last few years since Romanov's been in charge, you can't help but find it a wee bit more difficult to get motivated for a game. We all thought the bad days of Robinson were behind us after Romanov spouted his pash about winning the League and playing in the Champions League on a regular basis, unfortunately it's went downhill since Burley left. At least we're a wee bit better than we have been since 2006, might be to do with Csabba but we'll wait and see what the summer brings in terms of players and season tickets sold.

Good post Salv. Think that just about sums up, perfectly. what being a true Hearts supporter is all about. Me? I'll be there until it's box time, no matter what!!:walk_man::282:

Some posters may remember a thread in December 2007 about my Uncle Jim Duncan who had just passed away, he held a season ticket from just after the war and had watched the JTs from 1927. He used to fill me with stories all the time about how Hearts had attracted problems with owners / chairman throughout his time following Hearts.

From memory there was somebody Bill Lindsay, then the club nearly went under in the early 80s with mis-management obviously a reason, Wallace then endured some serious protests which were then followed by "Pieman-gate" and now we have Vlad.

Never once in all the years we went to the games together did he suggest he'd had enough or ever once think about not going back - even at the age of 89 a Saturday was the highlight of his week. He did stop attending midweek games but come the Aberdeen CL night he made a huge effort and made it to the game such was his love for Hearts (despite all the lows)!

Sorry to go on but my point is don't chuck in the towel, I'm sure we'll have many more highs and lows and forget the younger generation guff (I'm 28), I love seeing older guys go to the games especially those who can tell a tale of the "Terrible Trio" and before! Keep the Faith and in 30 years you'll be telling all the young guys around you about the days of Drew Busby, John Robertson etc etc

Mac_fae_Gillie

Been 41...

I don't see the last few years as our worst,it was 77-81.

The terrible years when I was 9yr old til I was 13years old were followed but the Wallace years which were great which ibcluded the near miss of 86'.

Thought I weouldn't see us win a cup for years after the 0/3 Vs aberdeen in 86 and the 1/5 to rangers in 96,but we have won it twice now giving me some of the best days of my life...

OF have complete control of the league so its Uefa or nothing but has been for a long time for all teams.

The dreaded debt,well we all knew we had to shed some players including those we really should have kept(Berra)but in this climate I accepted that.

Do I become more peed off NO,cuss I've seen us win the cup and we can again.Mismanaged teams by the board or owners are very common place just Hearts get more headlines thx to some bad events the press cant forget...

sacking Burley

..VRs win the CL trashtalk

..VRs attack on the SPL and press.

always gonna hurt us for the next few years,has been less this year though.

alwaysthereinspirit

Why is it?

No. It all depends on what you want it to be for you personally.

I moved away from Edinburgh 20 years ago but have never lost my support for Heart of Midlothian football club and never will. My kids (American) were brainwashed at an early age to be Jambos. My wife has never seen Edinburgh in July because all trips home are scheduled around Hearts games.

The first thing I did when I moved over here was buy a short wave radio. That then was the only way to get football results over here. Listening to Radio Scotland every Saturday or Wednesday. That radio went everywhere with us. My wife thought I was nuts. I've left weddings to go out into the parking lot to get the Hearts result. That result made or ruined my wifes weekend.

The 5 hour time difference can be a pain sometimes but now with the internet and the Fox Soccer channel I can get by a lot easier. JKB is a life saver as is HW.

I will never ever stop supporting Hearts.

Mad thinks he's Hearts. He'll probably never get it. It's the people on here and in the stands that are Hearts.

BlackhallJambo

My first game at 5 was v Killie in 65 when we lost the league. Saw us lose to Dunfermline in 68, Wolves in the Texaco Cup Final in the early 70s, Rangers in 76 final, Dens in 85 and Aberdeen the following week. I too never thought I would see us win silverware but 98 and 2006 were fantastic. Just a pity my dad who subjected me to those tortuous days and nights had passed away by 98 and we didn`t celebrate together. But my wife, a hibbee, wearing a Hearts top in 98 as a bet lost was a great moment and i have the pictures still to prove it!!

Like many others I am so angry that Romanov`s bungling probably cost us our only real chance of winning the league in 2005/2006 and i fear it unlikely ever to happen again in my lifetime. We are brought up to forgive and forget but that year tested the philosophy.Poor management over the years is something most hearts fans have become accustomed to and going way back their treatment of Willie Bauld was an absolute disgrace charging him for the matchball on his testomonial according to my dad

All Hearts fans share one attribute at least and that`s eternal optimism.

Apart from the Sheep i can`t think of another non OF team who now and again makes a challenge for the league(although its been a while for them now) or has at least finished 2nd in the last twenty odd years.

You may get nothing for 2nd but it raises the stock of your club and maintains optimism and sets standards for future teams, there`s a level of expectancy. It seeps through the club.

We have had our bad times of course but on the main we`ve been a strong club and had many memorable times even when we haven`t won anything.

Rudolf's Mate

Think someone probably summed it up. When I was younger and watched the team through the 80's & 90's with Wallace and the pie man I didn't take much notice of what went on behind the scenes. Obviously with age comes a level head and responsibility, therefore seeing the club run the way it is hits home in a way it never did in those earlier years.

Once a jambo always a jambo.

Toxteth O'Grady
Think someone probably summed it up. When I was younger and watched the team through the 80's & 90's with Wallace and the pie man I didn't take much notice of what went on behind the scenes. Obviously with age comes a level head and responsibility, therefore seeing the club run the way it is hits home in a way it never did in those earlier years.

Once a jambo always a jambo.

Good point, when I was a kid I just used to turn up on a Saturday and watch, I never read the newspapers, it was bliss:)

Having seen 7 trophies pass in a blur before my bedroom window, before I reached 10 - I thought that was normal. Several decades later, I understand that it was a prolonged flash in the pan. Now the problem with other high notes is that the 1984-on squads promised much and almost delivered, the 98 win was a quick flash in the pan and then the current Romanov era initially built great expectation that has vanished in chaos and mismanagement.

I think that's what has made the current state of things most depressing - there was great hope, then that was frittered away, dream by dream. When we lifted the 2006 cup I had expectations of maybe 4 or 5 Scottish or League cups over the next decade, as that squad grew and became stronger. That success coupled with better income, maybe even allowing a challenge to the OF for the league. Good european runs to gain experience and attract some good second level european players. But that has all gone and it leaves a kind of "so what" impression. We were pumped up for success and have returned to mediocrity.

What can you do - keep taking the jambo pills and hope that it gets better. Being a Hearts supporter, especially "far from Gorgie", is not based on lapping up success. It is and in reality, always was, some kind of social conditioning that happened by chance. Because of where you lived, or because of your mates when you were a kid, or because of your family, or maybe just because one of these flashes in the pan happened at a critical time in your appreciation of football.

How do I cope with the lack of reward in being a Hearts fan - I latch into the performances of my many "second teams", Man U, AC Milan, Juventus, Lyon, Ajax. I have the extra bonus that I have had the opportunity to see these teams from time to time.

I suppose I will get **** on - but first and foremost I love football, then I'm a Hearts supporter.

At your age it could be your last post ever. ;)

Thought i would keep my post total at 108. It had a certain ring to it.

Sergio Garcia

I think the getting older and following most teams your interest more than often starts to wane, this is from conversations with Motherwell and Hamilton fans. Family, work and having more commitments takes over I think.

Now being 25, my interest is probably at its peak time, more money and free time than before when i was a teenager, not as much money and not getting through as easy to many games. However i do believe that when i do settle down in life, get igher up in my career, possibly have children, its understandble that my interest wont be able to me at the same level.

I wont get away withmoping for a whole weekend and cursing decisions all weekend, if im spending time with a partner and trying to teach kids how to be a gracious loser.

Well thats how i see the situation.

Frankenstein Jambo.
Im 16 and have already seen Hearts lift 2 trophies, hump the hibs (many,many times)and been to many European nights! I can see me as being 'spoilt' and I cant imagine what its like to not see us win anything for 30+ years. I've been a season ticket holder since I was 5 and Hearts becomes more important to me every season. To me being a football fan is more than a sport, it's a way of life!

Aii mate, 19 years old myself and i have seen the jambos win the scottish cup twice as well. It seems so much more special because we don't win it every year like the dirt that lives in glasgow. If we where to win it every year then it wouldn't feel so special would it?

Would love to see Hearts win the league more than anything.

Frankenstein Jambo.
I think the getting older and following most teams your interest more than often starts to wane, this is from conversations with Motherwell and Hamilton fans. Family, work and having more commitments takes over I think.Now being 25, my interest is probably at its peak time, more money and free time than before when i was a teenager, not as much money* and not getting through as easy to many games. However i do believe that when i do settle down in life, get igher up in my career, possibly have children, its understandble that my interest wont be able to me at the same level. I wont get away withmoping for a whole weekend and cursing decisions all weekend, if im spending time with a partner and trying to teach kids how to be a gracious loser.Well thats how i see the situation.

Don't marry and never have kids. Do as much work that is needed and never accept a promotion. Follow Hearts every where they go and swear by them like they are the holy saviours from light years away. Thats the meaning of life my son! ;):rolleyes::)

I moved away from Edinburgh 20 years ago but have never lost my support for Heart of Midlothian football club and never will. My kids (American) were brainwashed at an early age to be Jambos. My wife has never seen Edinburgh in July because all trips home are scheduled around Hearts games.

The first thing I did when I moved over here was buy a short wave radio. That then was the only way to get football results over here. Listening to Radio Scotland every Saturday or Wednesday. That radio went everywhere with us. My wife thought I was nuts. I've left weddings to go out into the parking lot to get the Hearts result. That result made or ruined my wifes weekend.

The 5 hour time difference can be a pain sometimes but now with the internet and the Fox Soccer channel I can get by a lot easier. JKB is a life saver as is HW.

Mad thinks he's Hearts. He'll probably never get it. It's the people on here and in the stands that are Hearts.

Distence makes the heart grow fonder;). It's 20 years for myself as well ( I'm 52). Our club in Oakville is a delight and a great source of pride for us. I hope that one day you have you're own Hearts club close by:)

I am 47 and ***** it is a huge part of my life.

I remember saying on a thread some time ago about the late 70s early 80s and goin to place like Arbraoth, Brechin at least we knew what we were then and i think the new regime has changed that somewhere.

From my perspective I would go anyway, yes have your say and have an opinion but back the team always.

Winning the cup in 98 will never be surpassed IMO as we had gone so long but that feeling and that Love will never be known by the infirm for example.

I currently have a dilema as I was married on Valentines day (soppy sod) and asked the Mrs if she would like a nice weekend away up north for the occasion. I was thinking Aberdeen but misread the fixtures and thought we were away. On realising my mistake I have tried to temp her with a night in a top hotel in Edinburgh and a show. Was thinking that I could go to the game and meet her later but she sussed me anyway and now I am the Barsteward that I normally are ( is that correct English?)

Love her to death as i do the kids but she and i know that Hearts may not specifically come first they are always up there and for me although like everyone else I have opinions would never stop loving the team and supporting them as protests can come in many forms.

J.T.F.Robertson
Aii mate, 19 years old myself and i have seen the jambos win the scottish cup twice as well. It seems so much more special because we don't win it every year like the dirt that lives in glasgow. If we where to win it every year then it wouldn't feel so special would it?

Would love to see Hearts win the league more than anything.

That's a bit like the old "money won't buy you happiness", adage. Although it may well be true, I wouldn't say "no" to the opportunity of finding out. :mw_rolleyes:

J.T.F.Robertson

Feck me, take out the kids part and there's a fair few bellringers in there. ;)

I sometimes think the same, but then I think "What if we hadn?t won the Cup in 2006?"

Francis Albert

Being an older Hearts fan means having gone through most of the

'60s, all of the '70's, all of the '80s and most of the '90's (about 4 decades) winning **** all. And seeing a couple of European games each decade. The last 10 or 11 years have been heaven.

Mr Harvey,

Being introduced to your namesake by Tommy Walker when I was around 9 or 10 sealed my love for HMFC forever. How good they were to me being a young lad was magical. I was also introduced to a few players around that day. I was (and still am and always will be) so proud of my team.

Christ knows why, but I'm convinced Hearts will win the league in my lifetime.

Chances are I get hit by a bus tomorrow after posting that.

Does the short wave radio really work for game commentary overseas? If so I will get my a55 over to Radio Shack ASAP!

Myself, I stared going to games when we were in the first division and unfortunately recall swingining on the perimeter railings at crap holes such as Boghead.

I suffered the trauma of '86 and the near misses until I moved down to England in '96/97. Missing the cup win in '98 broke my heart. I then moved to the states in '99/00 and have been here since, thereby missing the next cup win.

That being said, I still follow the games online every Saturday which drives the (American) missus mad as she can't understand why my mood is dependant on the Jambo's result.

The kids always have the latest Hearts kit, but I don't think they will ever know what it means to be a Jambo and experience the long drawn out low's, which seem to make the fleeting high points even more sweeter.

Craig Herbertson

Okay its three in the morning here and the graveyard shift but I suddenly thought that I might die and not see Hearts win the league. Paradoxically, I think I could bear this if I hadn't finally witnessed the Jambos lift the cup in 98. It was like a kid being shown a sweetie and then having it taken away. The prospect of coming eternally second or being cheated at the last minute by some bribed referee is pretty unbearable. Somone somewhere must have solution to this...I'm sick of always hoping for next year.

Must be the time of life.

Christ knows why, but I'm convinced Hearts will win the league in my lifetime.

Chances are I get hit by a bus tomorrow after posting that.

Dave - mon ami. It's dead easy - there is bad karma built into your user name that is stopping Hearts winning the league. Change it to the correct gender rule Dave du Noir - or even Dave de la Noire and the league titles will follow. No idea why you are so thrawn on the matter.

SectionDJambo

A family tradition, which is carried on by my 2 sons. They have enjoyed 2 Cup wins before they aren't teenagers anymore. I tell them how lucky they have been, and that they will see those days again. They know. They ask me what I would have done if they had supported Hibs. I say it was never going to happen and they thank me.

All those big disappointments hurt deeply - but the good days are more memorable. We belong to a great Scottish club, with a unique if sometimes troubled history. We didn't join up expecting continuous success, and we sure haven't seen it. But we are more than that. I think that the disappointments have given us a stronger bond together.

I have found that the best cure for age threatening to wane my passion for my club, is a visit to Easter Road. One look at the other lot is enough to blow away any doubts.

Foster, O'Connor, Hartley, Robertson, Bone, JC, Glen, 17 in a row, 22 in a row.:toasting:

oddly enough we were talking about this down the pub last night, a bunch of 47-year-olds. I was saying that the recent KNOCKING OF THE HIBBIES OUT THE CUP gave me MORE CHILDLIKE JOY than ANY time we've done it previously. Like other good things, you get to value them a wee bit more as the years pass, is the reason for it, I think. Also you could see more aspects to it, all of the many, splendid ways in which they made complete pratts of themselves (the sending off, the no-handshake, the empty seats ...), I think I could see more of it than when I was younger, somehow. So my advice to the young uns is to stick around, as you will get more out of it in later life. Even if the results never improve that much ...

alwaysthereinspirit
Does the short wave radio really work for game commentary overseas? If so I will get my a55 over to Radio Shack ASAP!

Myself, I stared going to games when we were in the first division and unfortunately recall swingining on the perimeter railings at crap holes such as Boghead.

I suffered the trauma of '86 and the near misses until I moved down to England in '96/97. Missing the cup win in '98 broke my heart. I then moved to the states in '99/00 and have been here since, thereby missing the next cup win.

That being said, I still follow the games online every Saturday which drives the (American) missus mad as she can't understand why my mood is dependant on the Jambo's result.

The kids always have the latest Hearts kit, but I don't think they will ever know what it means to be a Jambo and experience the long drawn out low's, which seem to make the fleeting high points even more sweeter.

Radio Shack is actually where I got mine. Not used it in years though.

Dont be thinking you're alone though because I've never seen us win anything live either. 98 I had already planned for the World Cup and 2006 I was already coming home in August.

Already told my oldest we'll be back in May for the final. Quietly confident.

oddly enough we were talking about this down the pub last night, a bunch of 47-year-olds. I was saying that the recent KNOCKING OF THE HIBBIES OUT THE CUP gave me MORE CHILDLIKE JOY than ANY time we've done it previously. Like other good things, you get to value them a wee bit more as the years pass, is the reason for it, I think. Also you could see more aspects to it, all of the many, splendid ways in which they made complete pratts of themselves (the sending off, the no-handshake, the empty seats ...), I think I could see more of it than when I was younger, somehow. So my advice to the young uns is to stick around, as you will get more out of it in later life. Even if the results never improve that much ...

Agree. When you are young everything can seem like a blur, but as you get older and socialise more and gain your own perception of fellow or rival fans, i think you definitely gain more satisfaction in the good times.

The only way i`ve changed from my younger days is that i don`t seem to take defeat as badly and show it on the outside. I just tend to stew away inside now!

But my desire to see Hearts win has never changed and never will and i also think i`ve become more determined to see Hearts win trophies more than i ever have. You think about things more in older age IMO.

My first Hearts game was in 1953.So like folk of my times I have had the good and the bad.The Hearts were big in the 50s and early 60s and as young lads we strutted around big time wearing those maroon and white stripped caps along Princes street.

By the 70s we were taken down a peg or two.Many of us were married with less time for football and we looked on in horror at what had happened to our team.It was a depressing time much much worse than the Vlad years.The Hearts Board had been inept for many years.

Then came the great Waldo.What a fricken transformation!Long lines of UB40s trying to get into TYnie.High profile media stuff and real ambition.These years made sure that my sons were Jts.

1986 was a defining moment.Had we won the league Wallace may have taken us to another level.It was not to be.The fan base turned against Wallace and then followed the Robinson/Deans era.I was excited again.1998 and all that."the futures maroon it was declared"Sounded great to me as we moved into increasing debt with the SMG money squandered,Hindsight is a great thing

By 2004 it was clear that the club was close to exctinction as a top flight football club.As a fan and shareholder who had not taken interests in balance sheets I was again horrified at the way things were going.I attended a Fans Forum and listened to Robinson spin and lie.I joined SOH.

I was mightily relieved when VR came along.When you get to a certain age you realise that things can easily pass you by.1998 was magical but was this to be another 50 year drought .No it wasnt.

Thank you very much Vlad.At least I have seen Hearts win the SC twice as an adult.

Vlad may not be wonderful but he is better than all the **hol** who cannot contribute anything to the club but their unrealistic criticism.

Nucky Thompson
Personally I've been down, I've been bitter and angry at the way our club has been run, but I decided not to weigh myself down with all that baggage anymore. We have to accept things for what they are unless a real White knight comes along and invests heavily in the future of Hearts. Unlikely in the present climate.....who fancies starting a lottery sindicate and investing any future winnings in a takeover bid? Probably not! :108years:
You can put :108years: after every post if you want, but I can:smell_hobo: a mile away. HeartsDafty:laugh::laugh: you could have tried a bit harder with that one:108years::108years::108years::108years:

Archived