Steve Death

JT's & Irons

Apparently Van Der Saar today broke a goalkeeping record from 1979 set by Reading's Steve Death :eek:

Wharra great name. Why have I never heard of him before?

Made me wonder. Any other great British League players with tremendous names?

Goldstone Wonder
Apparently Van Der Saar today broke a goalkeeping record from 1979 set by Reading's Steve Death :eek:

Wharra great name. Why have I never heard of him before?

Made me wonder. Any other great British League players with tremendous names?

I remember Steve Death playing for Reading at the Goldstone Ground back in the 70s. Can't remember anything about him other than he was a goalie with a crazy name.

I remember reading somewhere about a guy with the surname De Ath and wondered if it had ever just been plain old Death to begin with. Don't think he was a footballer though.

Great name. People must think he's taking the pee an awful lot though.

Who's Van Der Saar ? I do know of Van der Sar ;) And tons of crazy names in Dutch football,Ferne Snoyl always made us chuckle because Sno(y)l is another word for a loose woman ;)

I was living in Berkshire at the end of the 1979/79 season (had to give my Hearts ST to a mate when I left Edinburgh), so I was able to see Reading's last three home games, all of which they won 1-0, winning the Division 4 championship at the last game, against Wimbledon. They didn't concede a goal in their last 11 games that season. Steve Death was their keeper at the time and he was a Reading legend who unfortunately died at the age of 54 in 2003.

I remember Steve Death playing for Reading at the Goldstone Ground back in the 70s. Can't remember anything about him other than he was a goalie with a crazy name.

I remember there used to be a speedway rider called Nigel Death who rode for Milton Keynes, 20 years or so ago.

He insisted that his name was De'ath (& pronounced Day Ath), he was rubbish.

Drylaw Hearts
I remember there used to be a speedway rider called Nigel Death who rode for Milton Keynes, 20 years or so ago.

Speedway is rubbish full stop.

I was living in Berkshire at the end of the 1979/79 season (had to give my Hearts ST to a mate when I left Edinburgh), so I was able to see Reading's last three home games, all of which they won 1-0, winning the Division 4 championship at the last game, against Wimbledon. They didn't concede a goal in their last 11 games that season. Steve Death was their keeper at the time and he was a Reading legend who unfortunately died at the age of 54 in 2003.

Did a bit more research on him and, believe it or not he actually played 1 game for my beloved West Am. Shame he's dead. Sounds like he was top notch. The death of Death. What a great name to have on the back of yer shirt. Number 0 underneath it.

I think this is the correct pronunciation, sometimes written D'Eath or D'Ath. Irish I think - quite a few D'Eaths in Aussie for some reason.

Archived