St Mirrens new stadium

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's a complete embarrassment to the top flight of Scottish football?

It looks like a smaller version Almondvale, and that's a soul less little place too. I'm sure I read somewhere it only holds 8,000 fans when full also, you ain't gonna generate much of an atmosphere there even when it's full.

A complete joke of a new stadium for a complete joke of a club.

bigis semiauskas
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's a complete embarrassment to the top flight of Scottish football?

It looks like a smaller version Almondvale, and that's a soul less little place too. I'm sure I read somewhere it only holds 8,000 fans when full also, you ain't gonna generate much of an atmosphere there even when it's full.

A bit harsh,Tynecastle is massive right enough we can get another 8thou in.

Come on, Tynecastle isn't exactly the Bernabau is it, probably doesn't ever fare against most Championship grounds these days. I guess St Mirren don't need a 30,000 seater stadium so they've built one to suit their needs. Seems sensible to me.

bigis semiauskas
Come on, Tynecastle isn't exactly the Bernabau is it, probably doesn't ever fare against most Championship grounds these days. I guess St Mirren don't need a 30,000 seater stadium so they've built one to suit their needs. Seems sensible to me.

Xakly!

A bit harsh,Tynecastle is massive right enough we can get another 8thou in.

double the size then ;)

heard on the radio its only 14 rows high wtf :laugh:

hope it blows over with the high winds, hopefully they'll be playing the dhims at the time

Their new stadium looks like Clyde's ground, small stadium (which probably suits them) with a crappy capacity, crappy team for a crappy League that no-one outside the "Bigott Brothers" has won since 1985, says it all really. Maybe if folk supported their local teams, bringing in more money, better players and better crowds instead of gloryhunting, we'd have a much better League.

Their new stadium looks like Clyde's ground, small stadium (which probably suits them) with a crappy capacity, crappy team for a crappy League that no-one outside the "Bigott Brothers" has won since 1985, says it all really. Maybe if folk supported their local teams, bringing in more money, better players and better crowds instead of gloryhunting, we'd have a much better League.

have to disagree :evilno:

my family are from Edinburgh and are Jambos, they moved over to Fife ( Dalgety Bay ) 30 years ago, i was born in Dunfermline but brought up a Jambo and was taken to the football by my Dad since i was a wee lad,

We get the train over most weeks to the match, and see a good number of Jambos getting on this side of the water, is this wrong? should we all be supporting Dunfermline or Raith Rovers :mad:

not all fans leaving towns and travelling to games are glory hunters, i live a couple of doors up from a hobo who watches them each week, could hardly class him as a glory hunter ;)

its plastic fans that get on my (.)(.) the types you see wondering around Asda or Tesco with there strips on during an old firm game, thats what a glory hunter is imo

crappy capacity, crappy team :)

bigis semiauskas
double the size then ;)

heard on the radio its only 14 rows high wtf :laugh:

hope it blows over with the high winds, hopefully they'll be playing the dhims at the time

MMMMM! but we are supposed to be the 3rd Farce,i would presume that means at least 4 times bigger than a crappy wee team like St Mirren or maybe we are just twice as big.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

How is a club with an average attendance of less than 5,000 having a capacity of 8,000 embarrassing for Scottish football? It wasn't that long ago we were slating Scottish football for insisting SPL clubs had a 10,000 capacity.

The Old Tolbooth

Tynie holds 17,500, which is more than double the size of the mini mhanks stadium, Tynie actually looks like a football stadium, St Mirren Park looks like a rabbit warren, it was embarrassing to think that people from other countries were watching the unveiling of one of Scotland's top flight new stadiums probably expecting something half decent in this day and age, but it's totally pathetic.

It's still too good for that mhanky mob though :D

The Old Tolbooth
How is a club with an average attendance of less than 5,000 having a capacity of 8,000 embarrassing for Scottish football? It wasn't that long ago we were slating Scottish football for insisting SPL clubs had a 10,000 capacity.

I'll tell you why mate, because as soon as they get a big game against one of the old firm, or a Scottish Cup quarter final tie against anyone, or a glamour friendly, then the Saints fans will start moaning that they didn't build it large enough for them.

A bit like when Hearts play Hibs, and we could do with a 25k all seater stadium, or like 2 or 3 years ago when we were doing well and we sold out every league game, it's kinda the same principal. St Midden have quite a large support, and I remember them under Alex Ferguson in the late 70's getting crowds of 15k when they were flying, and if those days were ever to return, they would sell 7k home seats easily imo.

MMMMM! but we are supposed to be the 3rd Farce,i would presume that means at least 4 times bigger than a crappy wee team like St Mirren or maybe we are just twice as big.

why would being the 3rd Farce mean having to have a stadium 4 times bigger than St Midden?

its a bad show when the Almondvale Stadium and McDiarmid Park (which is nearly 20 years old) both look better, it looks like its been built with dole cheques.

Tynie holds 17,500, which is more than double the size of the mini mhanks stadium, Tynie actually looks like a football stadium, St Mirren Park looks like a rabbit warren, it was embarrassing to think that people from other countries were watching the unveiling of one of Scotland's top flight new stadiums probably expecting something half decent in this day and age, but it's totally pathetic.

Scottish football in general is an embarassment though. The only two Stadiums in Scotland worth a sook belong to the Old Firm, the rest are all pretty crap imo, although Tynie and ER are a bit bigger than the small ones they're still only about League One standard!

The Old Tolbooth
Scottish football in general is an embarassment though. The only two Stadiums in Scotland worth a sook belong to the Old Firm, the rest are all pretty crap imo, although Tynie and ER are a bit bigger than the small ones they're still only about League One standard!

I'd have to agree with that mate, you could also throw Pittodrie in there too and possibly Rugby Park, the rest are dire.

Good grief, another thread on this topic. Get a grip. How can you be embarrassed by a team from the other side of the country building a new stadium. Clearly you must be quite insecure about Scottish football. As i said yesterday they've cleared all their debt in a oner, and probably secured their future by living within their means. Did you honestly expect them to build a ~15000 seater which they'd never fill...does that make business sense to you?

The devil may care, I certainly don't.

The Old Tolbooth
Good grief, another thread on this topic. Get a grip. How can you be embarrassed by a team from the other side of the country building a new stadium. Clearly you must be quite insecure about Scottish football. As i said yesterday they've cleared all their debt in a oner, and probably secured their future by living within their means. Did you honestly expect them to build a ~15000 seater which they'd never fill...does that make business sense to you?

MJZ1634.gif

You're telling me to relax? But it's you thats clearly outraged at something which doesn't inconvenience you in the slightest. I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a poor effort. But it fits their needs, and that's all the matters to such a small club. They don't even sell out Love Street against the old firm these days. Why this topic merits another thread on a Hearts forum is beyond me.

The Old Tolbooth
You're telling me to relax? But it's you thats clearly outraged at something which doesn't inconvenience you in the slightest. I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a poor effort. But it fits their needs, and that's all the matters to such a small club. They don't even sell out Love Street against the old firm these days. Why this topic merits another thread on a Hearts forum is beyond me.

Cant say I've noticed a thread on this subject before, and today is the first time I've seen their little eggshell of a stadium, and was gobsmacked at how cheap and tacky it looked.

Show me where I was outraged :laugh:

Carl Weathers

I'm genuinely shocked that a Hearts fan would describe Tynecastle as crap.

bigis semiauskas

At least they have all New Stands,what about our main stand its embarrassing for this Day and Age,

The Old Tolbooth
At least they have all New Stands,what about our main stand its embarrassing for this Day and Age,

But it has character, I love my seat in section T :D

Where's the character in plastic seats on breeze blocks? (but that's enough about Easter Road)

Carl Weathers

Where's the character in plastic seats on breeze blocks? (but that's enough about Easter Road)

Totally agree. The main stand is great and adds character to the stadium. I'll be gutted when it is gone, although I appreciate the need for a facility that allows us to generate more income.

Cant say I've noticed a thread on this subject before, and today is the first time I've seen their little eggshell of a stadium, and was gobsmacked at how cheap and tacky it looked.

Show me where I was outraged :laugh:

But why were you gobsmacked? Tell me what you expected to see. Here we have a club who made the decision to live within their means and be sustainable. At what point is that embarrassing to a Hearts fan? A club our size going into administration - now that an embarrassing prospect.

bigis semiauskas

EH! oh that would be the Gorgie,Wheatfield and Roseburn stands.

I think the problem with St Mirren's new ground is that its physically tiny. When there are only 12 or 14 rows and big gaps in the corner its going to look like a lego ground. If they could have made one stand larger than the rest and linked it all up into some kind of bowl then it would look miles better.

getAsset.aspx?ItemID=68003378

This is what Leicester Rugby Club are hoping to do with their ground, granted its bigger than the new Love Street but it shows far more imagination. Surely St Mirren could have done something more interesting than building a warehouse with a hole in the middle.

Carl Weathers

Someone posted a link before about what can be achieved with small grounds. It all comes down to money though.

St Midden's ground is perfect for their needs.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

They cleared their debts and built a ground that probably costs nothing to maintain and suits their needs. They can probably spend much more over the next few decades scouting youngsters and developing good players, thus helping save Scotland from embarrassment in the future.:tongue:

Miller Jambo 60
I'll tell you why mate, because as soon as they get a big game against one of the old firm, or a Scottish Cup quarter final tie against anyone, or a glamour friendly, then the Saints fans will start moaning that they didn't build it large enough for them.

A bit like when Hearts play Hibs, and we could do with a 25k all seater stadium, or like 2 or 3 years ago when we were doing well and we sold out every league game, it's kinda the same principal. St Midden have quite a large support, and I remember them under Alex Ferguson in the late 70's getting crowds of 15k when they were flying, and if those days were ever to return, they would sell 7k home seats easily imo.

Love it John a wee hole for a wee piece of celtic reserves kak:mad:

Miller Jambo 60
But why were you gobsmacked? Tell me what you expected to see. Here we have a club who made the decision to live within their means and be sustainable. At what point is that embarrassing to a Hearts fan? A club our size going into administration - now that an embarrassing prospect.

WHO ARE YOU:eek:

Sound like a HOBO to me .

Go on then rip me , cant wait:laugh:

Gorgie Boot boy

rudi must stay

can't really say it's an embarrassment. It's dull but it looks alot nicer than most of the stadiums in the SPL. 8,000 is a good capacity they will sell out the big game seasily.

8k is ok for St Mirren tbh.

Will be ok all fixtures apart from OF,but so what.

When we went down to our pishy 17k,its fine for all fixtures apart from Derby games and the OF.

We probably knocked 10k of our potential crowd.

St Midden knocked of 4k if there lucky.

have to disagree :evilno:

my family are from Edinburgh and are Jambos, they moved over to Fife ( Dalgety Bay ) 30 years ago, i was born in Dunfermline but brought up a Jambo and was taken to the football by my Dad since i was a wee lad,

We get the train over most weeks to the match, and see a good number of Jambos getting on this side of the water, is this wrong? should we all be supporting Dunfermline or Raith Rovers :mad:

not all fans leaving towns and travelling to games are glory hunters, i live a couple of doors up from a hobo who watches them each week, could hardly class him as a glory hunter ;)

its plastic fans that get on my (.)(.) the types you see wondering around Asda or Tesco with there strips on during an old firm game, thats what a glory hunter is imo

crappy capacity, crappy team :)

I'm talking about people from other parts of Scotland that jump on buses and trains to go gloryhunting in Glasgow, it's different if you originate from there and you move away, of course you're still going to support your team, i'd still be a Jambo no matter where I lived, the point is that if people went to watch their local team instead of abandoning it and spent their hard-earned there instead of at the "bigott brothers" there'd be more money going into their local club, creating better wages for better players thus creating a more competitive League. Those two would have less money to grab players on the cheap from the rest of us aswell, pretty simple really.

Nope. Perfect sized stadium for a club of that size.

The joke is/was SPL rules that used to demand 10,000 seats which helped put Airdrieonians to the wall and nearly did the same with Raith Rovers, whilst denying clubs promotion.

Now it is 6,000 seats which is still a joke. I really do hope someone like Morton or Ross County get promotion -who dont have anywhere near 6k seats - and the take the SPL to court over the seating and no terracing rules.

good post m8 I like it

Miller Jambo 60
I'm talking about people from other parts of Scotland that jump on buses and trains to go gloryhunting in Glasgow, it's different if you originate from there and you move away, of course you're still going to support your team, i'd still be a Jambo no matter where I lived, the point is that if people went to watch their local team instead of abandoning it and spent their hard-earned there instead of at the "bigott brothers" there'd be more money going into their local club, creating better wages for better players thus creating a more competitive League. Those two would have less money to grab players on the cheap from the rest of us aswell, pretty simple really.

We will be back big man.

Did you watch the highlights we were robbed.

Hamilton played basketball in the box but no penalty.

CHEATIN gets

Thunderstruck
Nope. Perfect sized stadium for a club of that size.

The joke is/was SPL rules that used to demand 10,000 seats which helped put Airdrieonians to the wall and nearly did the same with Raith Rovers, whilst denying clubs promotion.

Now it is 6,000 seats which is still a joke. I really do hope someone like Morton or Ross County get promotion -who dont have anywhere near 6k seats - and the take the SPL to court over the seating and no terracing rules.

I hear tell that Morton have bought one of the stands from, the now empty, Love Street.

We will be back big man.

Did you watch the highlights we were robbed.

Hamilton played basketball in the box but no penalty.

CHEATIN gets

We certainly will Doug!

winchester 73

I've read that due to the close proximity to Ferguslie Park, Greenock Morton fans have dubbed the new St Mirren stadium as the "Methadome".

Archived