Whats your favourite castle to visit?

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

And I don't mean Tynecastle.

Edinburgh is good tho a tad expensive unless you go on Historic Scotlands free days.

Fort George is another cracker with its cracking defensive fortifications.

Carrickfergus in NI is well worth a visit and even has a statue of King Billy for those that like a good photo!

Anyone else got any favs?

:108years:

Craigmillar castle may not have quite the glamour of others, but it is a surprisingly interesting place to visit in Edinburgh; very dark and brooding.

Edzell Castle in Angus. A ruin, but because of its walled pleasance one of the most remarkable and beautiful places in Scotland.

Spill the beans then Shaun!

Heh! Well there's Edinburgh Castle obviously - but also Corfe Castle in Dorset, and Arundel Castle in West Sussex. I went to the latter two summers ago, and loved it: Arundel is a place it's wonderful to get away to for a couple of days.

Castle Campbell in Dollar Glen is spectacular.

Aye Castle Campbell is amazing. Great view.

Also Dunottar and Tantallon are great old ruins, being by the sea makes them more spectacular. Over the border Bamburgh Castle is grand.

As a Douglas I am particulrly fond of Threave and Tantallon

Caernarvon is also pretty dramatic

Threave

DGTBSP_THREAVE_CASTLE_WINTE.jpg

Tantallon

tantallon.jpeg

Caernarvon

Sunrise%20on%20Caernarfon%20Castle.jpg

Saddo ! :D

heartgarfunkel

I absolutely love castles. Had Crichton Castle on my birthday cake at my 21st party.:mw_rolleyes: Sad but true! Here's a few of my favourites:

Dunbar Castle. Terribly ruinous, but a very atmospheric and enigmatic ruin. Played a major part in the nation's history. Don't get me started on how much of a ****ing disgrace it is that it has been allowed to erode into the sea.:mad:

DunbarDrawing2.jpg

Craigmillar Castle. An absolute stoater. Huge, excellent exemplar of the tower-house, a brilliant curtain wall, and 16th and 17th domestic additions. Fanatical Jambo History Dave got married a few years ago in the Great Hall. Magic. If you've never been, get the bus out, visit near dusk then wander down to the Sheep's Heid for a warming bevvy by the fire.

Craigmillar-Castle-3548-877.jpg

Crichton Castle. The Dog's danglies. Amazing location, like Craigmillar, a mighty tower house at the core, with the stupendous 15th and 16th ranges surrounding a courtyard. My historical anti-hero, Francis Stewart, 5th earl of Bothwell, modelled his palace block on Renaissance Italian palazzio he had admired during his education at the University of Padua in the 1570s.

5-30.jpg

The castles of north Wales. Magic place for a holiday. Edwardian masterpieces such as Conwy, Caernarvon, Harlech etc., augmented by gorgeously located Welsh strongholds in places like Dolforwyn and Dolbadarn.

harlech3.jpg

Norham Castle. Just over the border, battered by Mons Meg. Beautiful place, well worth incorporating into a day's castleing from the capital.

N2207b.jpg

So many!

Freaky Dancer

Fatlips Castle! quality name for a Castle. It's not far from my house, used to walk up it with my old man when I was a kid. In disrepair now, it used to be a museum in the 60's i think.

Fat Lips_thumb.jpg

Carl Fredrickson

I joined Historic Scotland http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk a few years ago and have visited loads of sites since. Some of my favs are:

Stirling Castle (the history and location are amazing and the refurbs are spectacular)

Fort George - no shot has been fired from it in anger - not surprising as the size of it is truly stunning

Caerlaverock Castle - a small but perfectly formed castle with a cracking moat

Castle Campbell - surely one of Scotlands best kept secrets. A nice walk from the car park - the views again are stunning.

Just visited Edzell Castle yesterday for the first time - and as has been said, the gardens are worth the visit alone. Even in January the aromas were pleasant - planning on going back in July/August to see them at their best.

Crichton is my local and i cant add anything that hasnt already been said.

Craigmillar has been a favourite since i was a wee lad and it hasnt lost any of its charms.

Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness never disappoints. In all seasons it is stunning - and if you have time, go on one of the cruise boats to view it from the water.

Having been to Orkney last May i visited many cracking sites there too - and for about ?35 a year I am getting cracking value from my membership

Dunbar Castle. Terribly ruinous, but a very atmospheric and enigmatic ruin. Played a major part in the nation's history. Don't get me started on how much of a ****ing disgrace it is that it has been allowed to erode into the sea.:mad:

DunbarDrawing2.jpg

It's now hard to believe that a castle ever existed in Dunbar with the stump that remains. Completely agree with your sentiments.

Doctor FinnBarr
I joined Historic Scotland http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk a few years ago and have visited loads of sites since. Some of my favs are:

Stirling Castle (the history and location are amazing and the refurbs are spectacular)

Fort George - no shot has been fired from it in anger - not surprising as the size of it is truly stunning

Caerlaverock Castle - a small but perfectly formed castle with a cracking moat

Castle Campbell - surely one of Scotlands best kept secrets. A nice walk from the car park - the views again are stunning.

Just visited Edzell Castle yesterday for the first time - and as has been said, the gardens are worth the visit alone. Even in January the aromas were pleasant - planning on going back in July/August to see them at their best.

Crichton is my local and i cant add anything that hasnt already been said.

Craigmillar has been a favourite since i was a wee lad and it hasnt lost any of its charms.

Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness never disappoints. In all seasons it is stunning - and if you have time, go on one of the cruise boats to view it from the water.

Having been to Orkney last May i visited many cracking sites there too - and for about ?35 a year I am getting cracking value from my membership

Orkney isn't really a very castley place tho. OK if you like crawling along damp tunnels! Which I do!

:D

Dirleton ,Hailes and Tantallon for me as they are close bye.Bamburgh is fantastic

It is a fantastic castle but getting there is horrible, I hate having to cross that level crossing, it really scares the bejasus out of me.

There are many amazing castles on the coastal/scenic drive between Newcastle and Edinburgh. When I was a young lad my grandad got me an English Heritage membership and we pretty much did all of the ones in North Yorkshire/Northumberland and some in the Borders. Three of my favourites are:

Bamburgh - perhaps one of the most stunning settings for a castle:

bamburgh-castle_big.png

Dunstunburgh - again, purely for the setting on the coast:

N5872b.jpg

And also, Warkworth, stunning village setting too:

warkworth_castle_600.jpg

The guy who mentioned Neuschwanstein is bang on too, one of the most amazing settings and impressive castle too!

castle-neuschwanstein-castle.jpg

And I don't mean Tynecastle.

Edinburgh is good tho a tad expensive unless you go on Historic Scotlands free days.

Fort George is another cracker with its cracking defensive fortifications.

Carrickfergus in NI is well worth a visit and even has a statue of King Billy for those that like a good photo!

Anyone else got any favs?

I don't know about single membership, but I've got Family membership (2 adults and up to 4 children) for ?60 a year. Not only do you get all of Historic Scotland's sites for free, but after you have been a member for 1 year, you get into all of English Hertiage's sites for free as well.

A family trip to Edinburgh and Stirling Castles and you've paid for your subs.

This one in France is quite spectacular too. it is where they filmed Merlin

pierrefronds

pierrefonds2.JPG

Guest jambomickey
Crichton and Borthwick - because they're almost on my doorstep! :)

was just out for a run the other day and past them both blondie!

Archived