Webster - Waste of Money

WASTREL

Charlie-Brown

Seems a fair enough article to me, Webster showed himself to be weak and easily influenced by that agent of his (and those at Ibrox he was acting for) - he could have had a fat contract at Hearts and played for a money spinning move the same Craig Gordon but instead he followed the purely selfish route which ultimately cost himself, Hearts, Arbroath & Rangers money, acrimony and a waste of his talent.

Rangers in financial turmoil..

Surprise surprise, ex players rubishing the players Murray wants out.

Webster... Sit tight I say.... ?500,000 / year.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hateley says that he had 2 years out with injury, but criticises Webster who has had 2 years out with injury?

Webster was also embroiled in a legal dispute which meant he was unable to play football.

Hateley may still have had the proper attitude like keeping himself fit and in shape unlike chubba Webster.

The article is spot on about all 3 players mentioned!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Given the way Murray engineered Webster out of Tynecastle, I hope his career continues to rot while he pockets the cash at Rangers expense. Perfect! :thumb:

Ultimate money grabber in football would have had to been Winston Bogarde. Nae luck Andy Webster, what goes around comes around.

badly drawn boy

Didn't realize Rgers had given him a 3.5/4 year contract on 500k per annum

Unbelievable the money wasted at that club , on what basis was it right to sign away 2 million , hasn't kicked a ball in anger for years

marshallschunkychicken

Looks to me like he's trying to shame Webster out of his '?500,000 a year, three year deal'.

I wonder if an old friend and employer put him up to it...?

Marmeladent?rtchen

:omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2:

Did anyone get the Masonic advert at the bottom of Hateley story!!!:eek:

FreeMasonStore.com!!!!

Remarkably forthright article and surprisingly scathing of players for both teams. However, clubs sometimes allow themselves to become hostages to such players by offering silly money and ridiculously long contracts.

Looks to me like he's trying to shame Webster out of his '?500,000 a year, three year deal'.

I wonder if an old friend and employer put him up to it...?

Dont think you would be far away.

Strikes me that what Webster did to us (and I know some still think he had every right) was IMO pure greed but it never gained any adverse comment from the papers or Scottish football in general. If anything as per norm HMFC were made to look the bad guys.

Despite what I would view as a contrived move to Wigan to ensure he ended up at Ibrox nought was said. Suddenly Rancers are in a financial mess (well maybe not suddenly) and an ex player who has access to a newspaper (use term loosely) column uses his ability to enlighten everyone and the rest of Scottish football is to believe he is the Judas we already think he is.

Surprisingly I do actually agree with most of what Hately says its just stinks a wee bit with the timing/tranferwindow/rancers finances etc etc etc

In the present climate, coupled with his injury problems, Webster would be lucky to get more than a one-year contract elsewhere, at a much-reduced salary. In relative terms, Hately drawing a parallel with his previous circumstances is completely erroneous. Much as I dislike Webster you cant blame him for staying put.

Webster was always angling for a move once interest from Rankgers was known (pre-Burley iirc).

VR treated him correctly and Rankgers have reaped what the sowed. No sympathy at all for them. It does also highlight Webster for the idiot he is, although if all he is interested in in cash then he's done well.

In the present climate, coupled with his injury problems, Webster would be lucky to get more than a one-year contract elsewhere, at a much-reduced salary. In relative terms, Hately drawing a parallel with his previous circumstances is completely erroneous. Much as I dislike Webster you cant blame him for staying put.

Would that not be a situation that was ripe for compromise then?

Surely if he could negotiate some form of pay off that would take him off the wage bill but earn him a large cash sum now but also allow him to move on in his career and begin playing football again would be a good move if he loved the game. I have no idea if that is on the table obviously but even if Rancers were to off load him but drip feed payments he still is earning and free to play football.

If you look at that scenario then Hately isnt too far away should it be true that Webster is prepared to sit tight.

Does anyone have any stats for the amount of football Webster has played since he left us as it seems to me virtually nil

Victor Meldrew

For me, it's the perfect situation:

Webster ****s up his career while helping to bankrupt Der Hun :D

Mind you, if he gets about 15 mins in a reserve game for them, he'll be Scotland captain in no time!!!

Darth Sidious

I take it that story was Mark Hateley speaking to Keith Jackson.

Davros and his minions.

To be honest, I would take Webster back, if he could prove his fitness.

all he had to do was to accept the fantastic deal offered to him (?12,000 pw) and sit tight for a year or two and he would have got a move to a far bigger club, as well as nice percentage of what would undoutedly have been a transfer fee in excess of ?3M.

it's not even as if he was being kept in poverty, ?12K pw is funny money for a guy who this club had plucked from the lower leagues.

but no.... even though he did well to turn in a great season after his pre-season tantrum, he chose to bite like a shark at the hand that fed him and also caused no end of trouble when he flapped his big gob off after being dropped for THAT dundee united match.

no symapthy for the rat.

all he had to do was to accept the fantastic deal offered to him (?12,000 pw) and sit tight for a year or two and he would have got a move to a far bigger club, as well as nice percentage of what would undoutedly have been a transfer fee in excess of ?3M.

it's not even as if he was being kept in poverty, ?12K pw is funny money for a guy who this club had plucked from the lower leagues.

but no.... even though he did well to turn in a great season after his pre-season tantrum, he chose to bite like a shark at the hand that fed him and also caused no end of trouble when he flapped his big gob off after being dropped for THAT dundee united match.

no symapthy for the rat.

That's the bit I find most amusing. Due to being spoon-fed by his agent and promised great riches elsewhere, he has gone through the grief of the last few years to get ?10k pw at Rangers.

He would've had a greater wage at Hearts if he kept improving at the same rate and could possibly have moved to the Premiership, just as Gordon and Hutton did.

:laugh::laugh:

Isn't it interesting that this article comes up when he is fleecing R@ng*rs? Seems that when a player is fleecing R@ng*rs it is news, if only that were the case at Hearts....

Hately no doubt trying to do his pals a 'favour'. One thing he never mentioned was that although ?500,000 a year is a lot of money, I'm sure Webster was offered the same deal as Craig Gordon, which was more.

I think Romanov knew that in these two (Craig Gordon & Webster) he had potential for big transfers coming along very shortly. Gordon as we know signed the deal, Webster turned it down and we all know why!!!

Craig Gordon is a first pick for his club and country and earning around ?40,000 a week and Webster's a has been at 26.

So Webster, Rangers, Murray & the greedy agent are reaping what they sowed. In 10yrs time Webster can look back and say I made a lot of money but I also single handedly ruined what should have been the best years of my life through sheer greed!!!!

That's the bit I find most amusing. Due to being spoon-fed by his agent and promised great riches elsewhere, he has gone through the grief of the last few years to get ?10k pw at Rangers.

He would've had a greater wage at Hearts if he kept improving at the same rate and could possibly have moved to the Premiership, just as Gordon and Hutton did.

:laugh::laugh:

it's this thing about the big bad agent that gets me.

loads of people kind of excuse his betrayal and let him off the hook because of the theory that he was being manipulated by some eveil genius on the make. for that to have happened then surely webster is guilty of being a gullible half-wit who was taken of advantage of, and if that's the case then why didn't the other people close to him (his family) look out for his genuinely best interests?

no way pedro, i'm not buying into that. i'm sure the rat was perfectly aware of what he and his agent were up to, as well as the other players involved in the whole devious scheme.

*Note to Hearts players under the Romanov regime*

Try and **** with Hearts and he will end your career.

I like it. :)

Webster is hardly going to say "terminate the contract David, i'll go get ?400 a week at Dundee with a injury treatment clinic a million miles behind what you have here Sir"

We all need Money, He probebly has enough, but why if your injured all the time are you going to give it up to earn what would be pennys (Compaired to his current contract).

Hope he takes all he can out of Rangers and then finds himself a nice wee club in the lower leagues.

Sy

Webster was totally over rated as a player.

Pressley made him look far better than he was by managing him through games.

Look on the bright side, Romanov supposedly offered him a lucrative 5 year contract to stay at Hearts.

I take it that story was Mark Hateley speaking to Keith Jackson.

Davros and his minions.

To be honest, I would take Webster back, if he could prove his fitness.

Sure I'd take him back too, as long as we could blindfold him, take him out the back and shoot him. The man's a complete tool.

Hately was making the point that whilst he also had a long lay off with injury he had the conviction to leave Monaco and relaunch his career at Ibrox for considerably less money.

Optimus Prime

I'm sorry but i've absolutley no sympathy for either club. This is the downside to being able to use your wealth to poach player from clubs with less resources. Every so often you'll get a player who knows he's hit the jackpot and will make sure he see's that contract out regardless of if he's playing or not. The Winston Bogarde situation at Chelsea was probably the best example of this.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I know 100% that he left Hearts with the intention to go to Rangers. That's what makes him even more of a trator.

As someone above said, I hope his career goes nowhere and he drains ?2m from Rangers. Karma for Rangers.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Oh and just want to add, the article is an interesting read, so credit to Hately.

However, I'm still waiting on a fair article on Hearts from the record. Hence why I've not bought the paper for about 2 years.

Webster was totally over rated as a player.

Pressley made him look far better than he was by managing him through games.

QUOTE]

Disagree, not over-rated, especially in his last season. We had a great central defence with Pressley, Webster and Gordon; each played his part. Webster was unfussy, rarely booked, had great positional sense, let nothing by him, good in the air.

Certainly he benefitted from playing alongside Pressley (and being coached by Levein), but towards the end he was the better, faster, player.

What a waste.

Meanwhile, we've (still, only just) got Berra. The HMFC centre back production line goes on.

Hateley says that he had 2 years out with injury, but criticises Webster who has had 2 years out with injury?

Think you missread that bit. Yes he had the same time out, but Hately was desperate to play again, whilst Webster is happy to sit on his erky and take the money. Webster should be fighting to get fit and play again but has become a lazy "B" and will never make it again in football.

This article caught my eye today. Especially since I share his direct views about an ex-Hearts player I used to enjoy watching.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/comment/columnists/sport-columnists/mark-hately/2009/01/22/what-a-waste-of-money-86908-21060488/

Very good article and spot on IMO... who the hell would touch Webster now... you reap what you sew judas!

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I'm no fan of Webster but I thought Hateley went over the score with his shot at Webster. We all know the guy is a money grabbing parasite but I genuinly believe he turned us over so he could PLAY for the Huns, not sit in the stand.

And why should Balde, Webster and Hemdani trot off somewhere they dont want to go just to ease thier employers money troubles. If the club were big enough to offer them stupid salaries over stupid lengths of time, they should be big enough to accept people may not want to jump to thier tune.

Given the way Murray engineered Webster out of Tynecastle, I hope his career continues to rot while he pockets the cash at Rangers expense. Perfect! :thumb:

Aye, couldn't have worked out better. :)

I P Knightley
Hately no doubt trying to do his pals a 'favour'. One thing he never mentioned was that although ?500,000 a year is a lot of money, I'm sure Webster was offered the same deal as Craig Gordon, which was more.

I think Romanov knew that in these two (Craig Gordon & Webster) he had potential for big transfers coming along very shortly. Gordon as we know signed the deal, Webster turned it down and we all know why!!!

Craig Gordon is a first pick for his club and country and earning around ?40,000 a week and Webster's a has been at 26.

So Webster, Rangers, Murray & the greedy agent are reaping what they sowed. In 10yrs time Webster can look back and say I made a lot of money but I also single handedly ruined what should have been the best years of my life through sheer greed!!!!

Very well put.

You should come back and post more frequently!

:omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2: :omg_2:

Did anyone get the Masonic advert at the bottom of Hateley story!!!:eek:

FreeMasonStore.com!!!!

And your point is??

Stupid Sexy Flanders

So Webster, Rangers, Murray & the greedy agent are reaping what they sowed.

That's it in a nutshell. Get it right up the lot of them.

Ferkin well written mark. It's about time the Daily ****** told it like it is. Webster the wage thief eh, who'd have thunk it.

Webster is an idiot. Davie Weir is still doing the business just now, but he can't go on forever, he's almost a geriatric now FFS (in footballing terms anyway). If Webster had a brain in his head he would realise that Davie Weir needs replacing, soon. If it was me i'd be jumping up and down at training giving it 'look at me, look at me', and working my balls off trying to ensure that I was the natural replacement for the old geezer. The fact that he'd rather just sit on his erse proves that we were right to let him go.

I can't see the point in him getting his move to his dream team then just not bothering his erse to ever actually play for them.

I usual see both sides of things when it comes to moving on from one team to another and never expect anyone to truly stay for the love of any club.

But see on this occasion

Rangers = :laugh: get it right up you

Webster = :laugh: get it right up you

$?"% them both.

alwaysthereinspirit

The Webster point made no point as you say.

Hately sounds like a bitter man who gave up "loads ah money" and now regrets it.

Tosser.

CAN I JUST POINT OUT THE VICTIMS IN THIS ARTICLE ARE GLASGOW CELTIC AND GLASGOW RANGERS VIVA WEBSTER AND BALDE LONG MAY YOU CONTINUE TO STEAL WAGES OFF THE OLD FIRM

You have to admit Webster is a great advert for the rule he used. How many will follow and use this rule, knowing how long it took him to finally get the chance to play and knowing you may well be past your best by that time.

Archived