What Song Reminds You Of A Particular Hearts Game?

Guess The Crowd

Guess The Crowd

Apologies if it's been done already, but I thought this might be a good idea for a thread.

The thought occurred to me when listening this week to Morrissey's 'The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get'. Apart from the great tune, brilliant guitar riff and clever lyrics (beware, I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges), one of the reasons I like this song so much is it reminds me of a 1-0 victory at Pittodrie (always good to beat them) in March 1994 - Sandy Clark's season, battling against relegation, Scott Leitch goal.

Any others?

awadooningorgie2

White Xmas - Dens Park one day long ago in the driving snow when we were let in the Derry with the Dundee fans (pre Albert Kidd of course).

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

That Dario G thing reminds me of the Cup Final in 1998.

Also, Kim Wilde singing "If I can't have you" reminds me of many games around 92/93/94. Must have been played every week.

Elton John's 'Passengers' was blaring out when we efficiently tipped East Stirling out of the League Cup in 1984. There were only 3,700 at the game and just two Shire fans in the old South enclosure. One of the verses runs:

'To make a chain of fools

You need a matching pair

One hypocritical fool

And a crowd that's never there

There's anger in the silence...

I'm quite sure the irony of the lyrics wasn't lost on those in attendance.

Band of Gold by Freda Payne (1970) cos it always reminds me of being taken to Tynecastle by my dad for the first time, whenever i hear it i always think of that huge open terrace at the Gorgie Road end , with Jim Cruickshank Alan Anderson and Donald Ford , it always seemed to be packed, im sure it wasnt, but im sure Hearts only owned 3 records at that time, Band of Gold, Cracklin Rosie and some Highland Country Dance album.

ahhh Happy D:mw_rolleyes::mw_rolleyes::mw_rolleyes:ays

Guess The Crowd
Beautiful Sunday-02/04/06

Actually, the song that reminds me of that happy day was Snow Patrol's 'You're All I Have' - unable to go to the game, I watched it on Sky, who closed out their programme with that song, which makes me feel good every time I hear it

Daft Punk - One more time. Cup Final celebrations 2006.

I could have sworn the DJ played 'Send in the Clowns' - v Motherwell 1981ish when we got relegated but won 3-2. Maybe my memory is playing tricks...:eek:

7 Nation Army, obviously, but one for the oldies;

Nice one Eric, nice one son,

Nice one Eric, let's have another one

Or

Who put the ball in the Hibees net?

Eric, Kenny, Donald, Drew

anyone remember when the fad was to 'sing' the tom thumb tune? more of a vocalisation than singing. circa 1987/1988 there was a cup replay at motherwell when this song was sung at great length by the massive hearts crowd that went through. 1-0 to hearts IIRC.

Our Lips Are Sealed by Fun Boy 3 and Bananarama, at the end of our last game in Division 1, in 1983. It was a warm sunny day, we'd beaten Hamilton 2-0 and everybody was waiting in the sunshine for the St Johnstone score to be announced.

Even though St Johnstone got the 2 points they needed to be champions and we were second, it's still a great memory and I always think of that game when I hear the song.

every time i hear robbie williams - let me entertain you - it reminds me of me givin it big licks semi naked on the pool table in the waverley inn in southhouse. The best of it is, i canni stick the guy....but it was the night of the 16th of may 1998. If i recall correctly, i was in a good mood that night and would've danced to anythin ha ha

IIRC the first time I sang "By the light of the silvery moon" was a 2-1 win at ER in 1978 with an amazing banana shot by the IMHO otherwise uselss Denis McQuaid.

I couldn't believe at the time that we lost Parky and got McQuaid and Craig from Partick in return, but I remember going to Partick and Parky getting a great welcome from the Hearts fans.

Oh, and being threatened in the bus park by a schemie with 2 alsations on chains.

"A Change Would Do You Good" by Sheryl Crow reminds me of the 98 cup final preview

They played it as link music on Scotsport's pre season review for the section on the Edinburgh Clubs.

As the season went on it proved more appropriate for us

White Xmas - Dens Park one day long ago in the driving snow when we were let in the Derry with the Dundee fans (pre Albert Kidd of course).

Same Song a Gayfield when we won 7-0!!!

Also, Molly Malone at Celtic games at Parkhead in the early to mid-sixties! It really brassed them off that we had Molly Malone wheeling her wheel barrow through streets broad and narrow, crying, "Jam Tarts!"

Dont look back in anger-oasis - reminds of the 1996 league cup final at darkheid. .

Mirror man-Human league-first division days at Tynecastle with crowds of 4k and a pishy team.

Happy days ;)

the enemy, you're not alone - when we beat rangers 4-2 last september

first time i heard the song was on the radio that morning when i woke up. got it stuck in my head and heard it again at half time.

Carnivale de Paris from the 98 cup final.

That stoopid coco-jambo thing reminds me of season 97-98.

White stripes = 4-0 cup semi

Hey Jude reminds me of the game where we beat the Hobos 1-0 at Fester when they had chic charnley playing for them. The Hearts fans were singing it for most of the game.

Our Lips Are Sealed by Fun Boy 3 and Bananarama, at the end of our last game in Division 1, in 1983. It was a warm sunny day, we'd beaten Hamilton 2-0 and everybody was waiting in the sunshine for the St Johnstone score to be announced.

Even though St Johnstone got the 2 points they needed to be champions and we were second, it's still a great memory and I always think of that game when I hear the song.

Another Bananarama one Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

Darkheid 83

IIRC the first time I sang "By the light of the silvery moon" was a 2-1 win at ER in 1978 with an amazing banana shot by the IMHO otherwise uselss Denis McQuaid.

I couldn't believe at the time that we lost Parky and got McQuaid and Craig from Partick in return, but I remember going to Partick and Parky getting a great welcome from the Hearts fans.

Oh, and being threatened in the bus park by a schemie with 2 alsations on chains.

The same song, but it always reminds me of this day.....

colquhounscoresagainsthibs.jpg

What a day that was.

7 Nation Army, obviously, but one for the oldies;

Nice one Eric, nice one son,

Nice one Eric, let's have another one

Or

Who put the ball in the Hibees net?

Eric, Kenny, Donald, Drew

Ahh... The 4-1 game! Remember going to the game absolutely 'bricking it' because of the 'previous game.':mad:

Then much to my delight, tearing them to shreds!:laugh:

Victor Meldrew

Seven Nation Army at the big semi

Dario G at the 1998 Cup Final

Sam Cooke's Wonderful World at Tannadice in April 1986

kawasakijambo

By the light of the silvery moon, in some club at Arbroath. Lots of Hearts fans using trays as symbols. Just left as the meat wagons arrived.

At the game, I'm dreaming of a white christmas.

And winning 7-0.

Does anyone remember that J&B Scotch Whisky, was giving away a case of the stuff, for any hatrick scored. Think Busby and Gibson got one each that day.

Guess The Crowd

At half-time in a game around Christmas 1987, the tannoy at Tynecastle played The Proclaimers first hit 'Letter From America'. My friend hadn't heard of the band, let alone their affiliation with, eh, them.

So when the whole ground loudly boo'd the song, initially he was puzzled. Once I explained it however, he enthusiastically joined in for the rest of the song.

Happy days indeed.......good season as well, 87/88.

kawasakijambo

Dennis scored a craker against the sheep up north aswell, can't remember the year but I think Derek O'Connor scored in the opening minutes on his debut.

Anything by Queen, Scottish Cup Final 2006.

Obviously "We are the Champions" was played at the stadium, but our Limo had a very limited selection of cd's for the road home so Queen was blaring out most of the way!

As mentioned earlier, the Oasis version of C'mon feel the noise at Hampden in 1996 was awsome. 2:45, our end full, their end empty. Our end sang and bounced. Their end empty. It all went downhill shortly afterwards though!

Prince Buaben

White Stripes.. Seven Nation Army for the Semi Final in 06

Dario G.. Carneival De Paris for the 1998 Cup Final

Frankie Miller.. Caledonia for the Bourdeax game at Tynie.

Captain Scarlett
Band of Gold by Freda Payne (1970) cos it always reminds me of being taken to Tynecastle by my dad for the first time, whenever i hear it i always think of that huge open terrace at the Gorgie Road end , with Jim Cruickshank Alan Anderson and Donald Ford , it always seemed to be packed, im sure it wasnt, but im sure Hearts only owned 3 records at that time, Band of Gold, Cracklin Rosie and some Highland Country Dance album.

ahhh Happy D:mw_rolleyes::mw_rolleyes::mw_rolleyes:ays

yep i concur just abou the same for me (without the country album):laugh::laugh:

Mr Brightside

Don't look back in to the sunn, by the Libertines.

Was nervous before a derby, the game when Rix was in charge, picked my friend up and the first song on the radio was the Libertines, as soon as we heard the opening basr we knew a win was in the bag.

Nelly Terraces

Anything by the Cockney Rejects. I always make a point of playing them before hitting the road to the boozer/game to get the correct levels of aggression stirred within me.

OI!OI!OI!

Cheero.

The usual ones all apply...Dario G, The White Stripes, Daft Punk etc.

Run DMC V Jason Nevins - It's Like That always reminds me of the cup semi final at Ibrox in 1998. That was a good night I recall!

Gnarls Berkley's Crazy is my 2006 cup song. It was played at the semi and the final during half time and before KO.

The usual ones all apply...Dario G, The White Stripes, Daft Punk etc.

Run DMC V Jason Nevins - It's Like That always reminds me of the cup semi final at Ibrox in 1998. That was a good night I recall!

Gnarls Berkley's Crazy is my 2006 cup song. It was played at the semi and the final during half time and before KO.

I've never been so cold in all my life. It was April and it was snowing FFS.

Another Bananarama one Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

Darkheid 83

We were singing that song in 1970:

Na na na na na na na na hey hey Georgie Fleming.

Heard it at my first Hearts match, a cup replay vs Montrose in January 1970. I think a band called Steam recorded it.

Slade "come on feel the noise" reminds me of the home leg against red star belgrade in the mid 90's. Needless to say we went out on away goals.

Pato Banton "come back" reminds me of the 4-2 home win against rangers in the cup under tommy maclean.

HillmanHearts

UB40's Red Red Wine will allways remind me of the 3-2 game against Hibs in 1983. When "We were Back" and the 'Robbo Legend' was born.

One of my favourite ever games. The song was "number one" at the time. I'm sure they played it at the game. ( Either that or it was played frequently on duke boxes as we celebrated into the night ! )

Archived