Fergies Replacement (NHC)

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

With SAF now 67 and surely close to retirement it made me wonder which manager would be ideal as a replacement for Fergie to continue his great legacy?

To me it is either Martin O'Neil, a manager who is a great manager and capable of alot. Or how about Jose Mourinho, a talented manager who has proved his abilty in the EPL.

To me the manager will probably be in his late 40s or early 50s, a great tactician with an eye on how to handle the talented Man Utd youngsters and also to keep an eye out for a great player.

Any ideas?

(well except they cant get Csaba.)

martin o'neill for me

I reckon it will probably go to mourinho..however I agree with you that o'neil would be the best candidate.

I actually think Liverpool will go for O'Neil when Benetiz leaves in the Summer.

:)

I think Benitez will sign a new contract, to be honest - and if he doesn't, MON will turn them down anyway.

jamboinglasgow
I think Benitez will sign a new contract, to be honest - and if he doesn't, MON will turn them down anyway.

I am not too sure, I think for Benitez it will all come down to if Real Madrid come in with an offer, think the rejection of the contract offer was a come and get me message to RM. Though I think it may be delayed while Real Madrid determine their new president.

I do think Martin O'Neil is odds on.

Though they may go for someone off-field and Scottish again. How about craig levein:rolleyes:

Drylaw Hearts

I'm not so sure.

Ramos will probably only last until the Summer at Madrid and they've been rumoured to be sniffing around Benetiz for a while.

Plus.....he's not happy about not having full control of Team affairs.

I'm not so sure.

Ramos will probably only last until the Summer at Madrid and they've been rumoured to be sniffing around Benetiz for a while.

Have you seen Ramos' record there so far? Apart from the defeat to the all-conquering Barca in his opening game (which was hilariously hailed by much of the pro-Madrid press anyway), he's been perfect to date. The great imponderable is what their new President does now Calderon has resigned.

But regardless, Liverpool have money issues - and why would O'Neill leave a club where he's under no pressure, and is gradually building a team year on year with no interference from his wealthy Chairman for one with far more pressure, more question marks over funding and interference, and which is unlikely to achieve much more than his present one anyway? Does not compute.

Check O'Neill's entire career history: he never leaves a club until he knows he's taken it as far as he can. Something which led to him turning down Forest when they'd just been relegated from the EPL to stay at Wycombe, newly promoted to the Football League!

truthfully?

the only man in the world with the personality to take on and be succesfull in the role....step forward jose mourinho!!!

Drylaw Hearts
Have you seen Ramos' record there so far? Apart from the defeat to the all-conquering Barca in his opening game (which was hilariously hailed by much of the pro-Madrid press anyway), he's been perfect to date. The great imponderable is what their new President does now Calderon has resigned.

But regardless, Liverpool have money issues - and why would O'Neill leave a club where he's under no pressure, and is gradually building a team year on year with no interference from his wealthy Chairman for one with far more pressure, more question marks over funding and interference, and which is unlikely to achieve much more than his present one anyway? Does not compute.

Check O'Neill's entire career history: he never leaves a club until he knows he's taken it as far as he can. Something which led to him turning down Forest when they'd just been relegated from the EPL to stay at Wycombe, newly promoted to the Football League!

Ramos has a deal that runs till the end of the Season which can be extended if they win La Liga or the CL.

I doubt they'll do either.

As for O'Neil....

Taking Villa to 4th or 5th in the EPL is as far as he'll take them imo.

Not many Managers would say no to Liverpool.

Ramos has a deal that runs till the end of the Season which can be extended if they win La Liga or the CL.

I doubt they'll do either.

As for O'Neil....

Taking Villa to 4th or 5th in the EPL is as far as he'll take them imo.

Not many Managers would say no to Liverpool.

He would - because they've turned him down in the past (circa 2004), and because 4th is definitely not the limit of his capabilities with Villa. Anything is possible there. I'd also be very surprised if Real terminate Ramos' contract for the reasons you've given: 2nd place is the target with 1st over the hills and far away, and all he has to do is win one CL knockout tie, and he's their most successful coach in Europe in five years!

Drylaw Hearts
He would - because they've turned him down in the past (circa 2004), and because 4th is definitely not the limit of his capabilities with Villa. Anything is possible there.

I'm not so sure.

Picking Villa over Liverpool is not something many folk would do.

The Real Maroonblood
I'm not so sure.

That rules him out coming to Hearts then.

The Old Tolbooth

whoever takes over at the helm, I hope they are inept and drag manure down :D

I'd love Liverpool to get rid of Rafa and get MoN in, I think he's doing a terrific job with Villa, and if Liverpool came calling I very much doubt he would turn it down.

The major factor surely has to be ............"DARE I try and follow that" ?

It's a dream job for sure ( MAN U ) but is there not a huge risk you would be on a hiding to nothing ?

Charlie-Brown

These things go in cycles & Man Utd could go through a few managers until they find the right man just as most of the other giant clubs have during Fergies tenure.

I think that Mourinho has the personality required to follow such a legendary manager.

I don't think that there are any boot room style managers to follow him.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Fergie has said he'll retire when he's 70.

So, given the time span and that he will have a heavy influence on his successor, I think Fabio Capello will become United manager on his retirement.

I'm not so sure.

You really think that as coach of Real Madrid he'd have full control over team affairs??

Moyes is a great manager but I'm not sure if Man Utd would be prepared to take a chance on him.

Jose is the favourite for me.

Just as an aside, I've read the Giggs article in the Scotsman. Still a great player.

Buffalo Bill

So, given the time span and that he will have a heavy influence on his successor, I think Fabio Capello will become United manager on his retirement.

Capello? No chance. If Ferguson does retire in 3 years Capello will be 65. What would be the point in that, unless they decide on a short-term appointment?

Optimus Prime

O'Neil and Mourinho would be favourites.

Champions League experience could be the key which rules out Moyes (a great manager IMO) and may tip the balance slightly in favour of Mourinho at present.

Also wouldn't rule out Carlos Quirezos. A key component in Uniteds recent success and somebody Fergie holds in huge regard.

jamboinglasgow
O'Neil and Mourinho would be favourites.

Champions League experience could be the key which rules out Moyes (a great manager IMO) and may tip the balance slightly in favour of Mourinho at present.

Also wouldn't rule out Carlos Quirezos. A key component in Uniteds recent success and somebody Fergie holds in huge regard.

to be honest i would rule out Carlos Quirezos. He has tried being a manager at alot of clubs but he works best at being an assitant manager.

me thinks steve bruce hes doing a triffic job with wigan and as an ex captain you never know

Bravo that man. Mourinho has too much personality for them I reckon. Wouldn't touch it meself after him TBH. You are always gonna be an underachiever.

By the time he retires West Ham under Gianfranco will be champions anyway:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's such an odd situation nowadays though isn't it ?.....................an all conquering side with a manager who's been there for over 20 years

Supposing MAN U take a dip in form under the new man, how much backing would he get I wonder.

Most of the foreign managers being touted have probably done very well elsewhere, at various clubs, but having won the league or whatever they have probably got out before their influence waned in that one particular post ?

alwaysthereinspirit
With SAF now 67 and surely close to retirement it made me wonder which manager would be ideal as a replacement for Fergie to continue his great legacy?

To me it is either Martin O'Neil, a manager who is a great manager and capable of alot. Or how about Jose Mourinho, a talented manager who has proved his abilty in the EPL.

To me the manager will probably be in his late 40s or early 50s, a great tactician with an eye on how to handle the talented Man Utd youngsters and also to keep an eye out for a great player.

Any ideas?

(well except they cant get Csaba.)

Whoever comes in has to have the WOW factor.

It can only be Mourinho.

Anyone less and United fans would be up in arms.

Cant stand O'Neill. He's a $#!tstain now. Imagine his attitude as Man Utd manager.

I'm sure I read a recent interview with someone at Man Utd who suggested SAF would have a big say in his successor. I would rule out JM for that reason alone.

me thinks steve bruce hes doing a triffic job with wigan and as an ex captain you never know

Bravo that man. Mourinho has too much personality for them I reckon. Wouldn't touch it meself after him TBH. You are always gonna be an underachiever.

By the time he retires West Ham under Gianfranco will be champions anyway:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think Steve "Bernard Cribbins" Bruce will be there or there abouts too.

I'm not so sure.

Picking Villa over Liverpool is not something many folk would do.

He already chose Leicester City over Liverpool, so why not Villa?

I'd agree with that. Massive success elsewhere, knowledge of EPL and the timing would be perfect (providing he achieves success with England).

I think only Capello or Mourinho have the personality to take over from such a massive figurehead. Its not just length of time he's been there, or the success he's had, but the fact that he is deeply rooted into the organisation of the club from top to bottom.

Captain Scarlett

aye right lets get up those apple n pears and bristol cities n barnet fairs etc :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whoever comes in has to have the WOW factor.

It can only be Mourinho.

Anyone less and United fans would be up in arms.

Cant stand O'Neill. He's a $#!tstain now. Imagine his attitude as Man Utd manager.

I disagree on the wow factor, I suspect they will ease from Ferguson to Phelan, in the old Liverpool style.

Moyes is a great manager but I'm not sure if Man Utd would be prepared to take a chance on him.

Jose is the favourite for me.

Just as an aside, I've read the Giggs article in the Scotsman. Still a great player.

Buffalo Bill

Spot on about Davie Moyes - Moyes is a good manager. Clearly can control his squad which is what MU will need. Is it a risk - just depends on what the Glazer's want.

Fergie had his troubles in his early days but established his team and went on from there. Moyes has showed that he can deal with the bad times and recover. This may be a crucial factor - he has the longevity and stability that MU are based on.

Jose would be a cracking choice - but would he we able to handle the pressure/attacks that will come from the press/managers etc. ?

Not coming back to the UK was probably the best thing for him I say...

I'm sure I read a recent interview with someone at Man Utd who suggested SAF would have a big say in his successor. I would rule out JM for that reason alone.

I would rule in JM for that reason alone.

Seymour M Hersh
I am not too sure, I think for Benitez it will all come down to if Real Madrid come in with an offer, think the rejection of the contract offer was a come and get me message to RM. Though I think it may be delayed while Real Madrid determine their new president.

I do think Martin O'Neil is odds on.

Though they may go for someone off-field and Scottish again. How about craig levein:rolleyes:

Well if the press speculation about Rafa wanting more say in transfer dealings is correct i would suggest Madrid is not the place to go as I doubt the manager there has much input over the owner/chairman.

It was a piece by Bobby Charlton. He was emphatic that Jose was not right for M.U. I go with Geoff K - think Capello will certainly be offered it.

Totally agree shaun, contrary to common belief, SAF and JM definately have the upmost respect for each other. I'd have to say Quieroz or Mourinho.

I'd stick my pennies on Martin O'Neill getting the job, he's done terrifcally well at every club he's been to.

I think Steve Bruce would have to do something pretty spectacular to be considered for the job, such as gaining consecutive european spots and winning a cup.

As for Rafa, I don't think he's daft enough to go to Real, managers there don't have a long shelf life, and if he's pee'd off at not having full control over team affairs at Liverpool then he's got sod all chance of getting that guarantee at Madrid.

Archived