Season Targets

Martin_T

I usually start each season with a set of targets for Hearts, the more of which we achieve the better the season. These are in order of priority:

1. Avoid Relegation
  2. Achieve Top 6 place
  3. Qualify for UEFA Cup
  4. Qualify for Champions League
  5. Win the league

Now the first priority is usually never an issue and the bottom two are very unlikely, but we have had seasons in living memory when the aforementioned have looked possible or for some of you have actually happened.

This season, I reckon we have probably achieved no.1 already, I think Inverness will struggle to get 18 points more than us from their remaining 16 games, a win next week will remove all doubt.

Priority no.2 can also probably be achieved over the next couple of games. We are currently 9 points clear of 7th with 11 games till the split. I don't think Killie have it in them to achieve 9 points more than Hearts over this round of fixtures.

Given 4 and 5 are probably gone, that leaves priority no.3, I reckon player sales pending, this will be a scrap till the last couple of games of the season.

After last season we really had to watch and wait to see how it panned out. But in normal situations were we are normally strong one season to the next a minimum aim for Hearts should always be top 3 finish and try to win a cup.:)

Finishing above the vermin is ALWAYS number one priority...

Anything else, is a bonus

If Hearts are half decent that`s a gimme mate. Our sights are set higher and generally that`s routine.:)

Telford Jambo

I think I'm correct in saying we have 3 UEFA cup places this season, so 3rd and 4th and potentially 5th (depending on the cup finalists) qualify for the UEFA cup which greatly increases our chances of achieving number 3.

Hearts Heritage
I think I'm correct in saying we have 3 UEFA cup places this season, so 3rd and 4th and potentially 5th (depending on the cup finalists) qualify for the UEFA cup which greatly increases our chances of achieving number 3.

Sort of BUT THERE IS NO EXTRA PLACE

The non compulsory entry in the Intertoto Cup is now compulsory in the revamped "Europa League". 5th means playing in early to mid July vs teams halfway through their season.

Much will depend on what happens with the transfer window but if we do as well in the next 11 games as we have in this set (21 points) then that would have us on 56 points before the last five games against the top six. I think that we would be certainties to finish in the top four if we achieve this.

Historicallly, if you finish on 60 points then you are going to be third or fourth.

Looking at the fixture list, we have an easier run of games than Aberdeen and Dutd until we play the dons on 14th Feb, which for me will be a big game

Doesnt always mean anything. Dons are beating celtic today and we got 4 points in a week from the OF, but hopefully we can use the next 3 games to get into 3rd spot and then if we beat Aberdeen, we're well set for 3rd/4th

Never a good idea to talk like that as only disappointment can come of it, but i canny help it!!

My targets are:

1. Finish above Hibs (always the first most important thing!)

2. Top 6

3. UEFA cup place

4. Anything above 3rd place is a bonus after that

Mac_fae_Gillie

got to make Europe...I want a good trip abroad this year

Aberdeen well improved since 1st 2months and Dunutd very strong so going to be very tough to get 3rd but we have(at present)large squad which could help us get a couple move results as injuries stack up...

Not been thinking about not finishing in top6 at all just take it as a given,last year was a shambles never to be repeated.

Archived