Local Team or Family Team?

mainjambo99

Hearts are definitely my local team and my family team but, having watched Hearts through some very lean years indeed before finally giving up, my dad made a concious decision not to push me and my siblings towards Tynecastle as watching Hearts had only brought frustration, misery and regret and he wasn't keen to inflict that on his offspring.

Me and my brother found our way there anyway in the mid eighties when our local team came good. Soon we'd dragged our Dad back out of exile.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I can see Easter Road from my window.

Thank god I was brought up the right way.

tambothejambo

Hearts fan due to father supporting jambos

Many hearts supporters in forth lanarkshire due to darkie cumming dropping off tickets to hearts matches for the miners in the forth.

Darkie's legacy will continue forever in our village

My mate is an Ayr fan and always has a go at me for not supporting my local team.

We both stay close to Sommerset but I support Hearts as my dad is a Hearts fan and his father was a jambo and so was his

Aha! A glory hunter eh? :D

Hearts are my family team.

My local "big team" when I was growing up would have been the hunz.

So, when I wasn't able to get to see Hearts, I went to watch Queen's Park or Pollok Jnrs.

Doctor FinnBarr

My old man is a Murderwell fan and I was dragged along to see Joe Wark, Dixie Deans etc and locality meant that Broomfield and Brockville were closer than Tynie but I seen the light! Amen

:108years:

willie wallace

The biggest influence in deciding which team you support is the person who took you to your first games.Usually its your dad and you thank God he was a Jambo.If no one takes you then you end up supporting the team you see the most on the tv[ie,the most successful teams]

both,from edinburgh and my mums side where all jambos as far back as you can go. my dad hates football but it was always ment to be.

i was born in edinburgh and moved down south when i was 5 my dad was a jambo i didn't really have a choice losy my accent though. brought up in drylaw is that closer to hearts or the hobos

Drylaw is closer to Tynecastle,its just a 20min walk along the old railway line path.:097:

Its your Dad's job to make sure you follow Hearts

Mission Accomplished!!!

Now for the grandson!!!

PS Brought up near Helensburgh, surrounded by Blue Noses, and thank God that I'm a Hearts supporter and not one of that bunch!!!

My Dad was a hibby, but they grew up in a time (50's) when it was ok to support hibs but go to Tynie every 2nd week just so he can watch a game.

My brother is a stunch hobo as when we were younger we stayed over looking Fester rd (coner of Albion road,moved when I was 4mths old) and could see at least half the pitch, he used to know a lot of workers & players and got in for free.

It was at Primary School when I was first aware of football teams and I picked Hearts cause every one else supported them,

Best decision I ever made

Family, the only reason to support your local team who be if you parents supported the OF or hibs

Too true mate - brought up in Broxburn and then Roseburn, but if I'd followed my ma and uncle, I'd be a hibby......

:eek:

Luckily, a right-minded boyfriend of my mum's when I was about 13 took me to a cup QF at Tynie against the Arabs and that was me sold.

I still shudder at the thought of how close I came to hoboness.....

My Dad was a hibby, but they grew up in a time (50's) when it was ok to support hibs but go to Tynie every 2nd week just so he can watch a game.

My brother is a stunch hobo as when we were younger we stayed over looking Fester rd (coner of Albion road,moved when I was 4mths old) and could see at least half the pitch, he used to know a lot of workers & players and got in for free.

It was at Primary School when I was first aware of football teams and I picked Hearts cause every one else supported them,

Best decision I ever made

An old school friend of mine who is a staunch Hearts supporter was brought up in a Hobo dominated family. His dad was a Hoboid as was his wee Brother.

BUT HE HATES THE HOBOIDS, really does. I can remember many times him and his Dad being at each others throats arguing about Hearts and Hibs.

lol:108years:

Born and brought up in Glasgow by a mad Jambo(my Dad ) My three sons follow the famous now and if I've got anything to do it with so will my Grandson, as for my local team it's Partick Thistle and I hate those B******* as much as the OF (teenager late 70's early 80's):laugh:

HillmanHearts

I spent the first ten years of my life in Leith Walk. But me & the oldest of my young brothers were always Jambos. Think that was originally down to my Dad - who was not hugely into Football but did have a preference to Hearts. The other young brother is a hibbee but we don't like to talk about that too much. I have to say that at that time at Leith Walk primary school there were quite a few Jambos. But it was good when we moved to the West of the city where it was Jambo majority.

Rupert Pupkin
The biggest influence in deciding which team you support is the person who took you to your first games.Usually its your dad and you thank God he was a Jambo.If no one takes you then you end up supporting the team you see the most on the tv[ie,the most successful teams]

True as my dad is "DER HUN" a family friend took me to see my 1st game at Tynecastle ,and the rest is history as they say.

in terms of family teams i could have supported hearts or deveronvale. as the jt's were my local team it was easier to go to hearts games. i have a few mates that have family ties to other teams but because they were brought up in edinburgh they tended to support hearts - or the less fortunate ones supported the wee team!!

My mate is an Ayr fan and always has a go at me for not supporting my local team.

We both stay close to Sommerset but I support Hearts as my dad is a Hearts fan and his father was a jambo and so was his etc... My dads from Edinburgh but i was born down here and as my dad took me to Hearts games from a very young age..so naturaly im now a Hearts fan and have been for the past 18years.

so whats wrong with that...should you support your local team because you stay near there ground or the team which has been in my family for years?!

Neither in my case, all due to coming to Edinburgh as a student in the early eighties and falling in with a bad crowd at the time - never looked back since... :D

Also got quite a few mates myself who are Ayr fans due to originally being from the area, always happy to see them doing well, except against Hearts of course ! Went across to the recent Ayrshire derby at Somerset Park with a couple of Hearts guys and thoroughly enjoyed the day, be excellent if they could stuff Killie in the replay this week :icon14:

Born in Leith, but my old man made sure i was going to be a Hearts supporter by taking me to 'Tynie' from a very young age. Been through a lot of lean times following them, but never regretted being a supporter of the 'famous Gorgie Boys'.:)

Its your Dad's job to make sure you follow Hearts

Agreed.

My Dad showed me the road to life as a Jambo, his Dad before him.

My daughter is now on her 6th season ticket at 14, and the latest edition to the family now has her first replica top at five months!! She wears it every Saturday when we drop her off at her Grannies en route to the footy!!

My job here is complete.

I didn't have a choice. When i was 2 weeks old i was lying in my cot with a hearts top on while my hibby mother was out at the shops as my dad and his pal had the poloroid camera out........Always knew my dad was an intelligent guy.

trying to convert the hobo gf now whose family are all hobo's. Although she's never been to a game she doesn't Wana annoy her dad.haha

I kind of understand both angles. My family is staunchly Jambo, hence my support of Hearts but due to the fact I lived near it when younger, Ipswich Town are my English team.

All you need as a reason to support a team is an affinity with them that doesn't involve something like, 'I'm Catholic/Protestant so I support Celtic/Rangers' or 'I grew up during 9 in a row/Man Utd's glory years'

wheatfield to sheffield

My Dad is a Hearts supporter and my Nana was before him And I was born at the Simpson Memorial, so they are definitely the team closest to my place of birth as well.

Family for me.

Great Granddad played for the JT's in the late 1800's. Fortunately all my Mums family were Hearts fans as well.

I had the brass neck to go to Leith Academy as well during the 22 in a row spell, so spent 6 years at Leithy looking smug.

Luckily enough, even though I was brought up in Livingston at the time Hearts could be considered my local team as they were the closest proffesional team at the time as Livingston were still Meadowbank Thistle and playing in Edinburgh.

Captain Scarlett

i was brought up in muirhouse dad was a hobo his two brothers were sellick dont know why

i have no brothers 4 sisters 2 supported the hobos

my mate and his big brother took me to tynie for my first game was against cowdenbeath i dont remember the score i remember getting the no 1 bus from ferry road it seemed to take forever to gorgie but when i was there (about 1968) that was me hooked now forever hearts:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Captain Scarlett

also got to mention when i lived and worked in leicester early eighties i used to go to watch the city just cos they were the local team jock wallace was the boss lods of scots playing for them alan young eddie kelly etc not to mention a young gary lineker (1982) went to see them in the fa cup semi against spurs at villa park got leathered 2-0 but a geat day still have a soft spot for the foxes

Captain Scarlett
Hearts are definitely my local team and my family team but, having watched Hearts through some very lean years indeed before finally giving up, my dad made a concious decision not to push me and my siblings towards Tynecastle as watching Hearts had only brought frustration, misery and regret and he wasn't keen to inflict that on his offspring.

Me and my brother found our way there anyway in the mid eighties when our local team came good. Soon we'd dragged our Dad back out of exile.

quality

Local.

Family were mainly Celtic minded but coming from Ritchie Place I supported my local team.

Never regretted it one single minute.

The People's Chimp

My dad grew up in Gorgie, a stone's throw from tynecastle. My gran lived there until she died. She used to go and queue up for european tickets for us in the 80s and into the 90s when me and my brother were wee. Strips from topsport and hearts pin badges, tracksuits, bags, sweatbands (i'd love a set nowadays) and a cracking panelled bobble hat, with hearts and newcastle on it. brilliant memories.

I grew up just outside dunfermline, so it's family for me.

We both stay close to ****erset but I support Hearts as my dad is a Hearts fan and his father was a jambo and so was his etc... My dads from Edinburgh but i was born down here and as my dad took me to Hearts games from a very young age..so naturaly im now a Hearts fan and have been for the past 18years.

so whats wrong with that...should you support your local team because you stay near there ground or the team which has been in my family for years?!

I am a Killie fan, originally from Irvine.

My two kids were born in Stirling and are both Killie fans.

I am proud of that, as they could have been lost to one of Glasgow's Bigot Twins.

By the way, I am sorry for your mate!!!!

:mw_rolleyes:

I'm more family, even though I was born in Edinburgh:mw_rolleyes: :D:D

Proud to be a Jambo though ;):D:D

Malcolm Tucker

Both my closest geographical team and because my old man is a Jambo. There was never any other team in the mix, just Hearts.

So I'm a better fan than you all. Tcaf. Dne ffo..

MacDonald Jardine
I kind of understand both angles. My family is staunchly Jambo, hence my support of Hearts but due to the fact I lived near it when younger, Ipswich Town are my English team.

All you need as a reason to support a team is an affinity with them that doesn't involve something like, 'I'm Catholic/Protestant so I support Celtic/Rangers' or 'I grew up during 9 in a row/Man Utd's glory years'

Why is it okay to support a team based on geographical location but not religious affiliation?

I was a hearts fan until i was 5, my mum and dad broke up and my dad moved away to london, until i was eleven my step-dad convinced me to be a rangers fan :mad: (terrible i know)

then the start of the season 05/06 my dad moved back to edinburgh and bought me a season ticket for tynecastle

been hearts ever since and im begining to think i am turning hearts through aand through :mw_rolleyes:

Canadianjambo

Born and raised in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada. Brought to Scotland by my Edinburgh born wife. Was taken to a Hibs game first, then went to a Hearts game a week later. Realized right then that Tynecastle was where I belonged. :walk_man

Archived