Local Team or Family Team?

mainjambo99

My mate is an Ayr fan and always has a go at me for not supporting my local team.

We both stay close to Sommerset but I support Hearts as my dad is a Hearts fan and his father was a jambo and so was his etc... My dads from Edinburgh but i was born down here and as my dad took me to Hearts games from a very young age..so naturaly im now a Hearts fan and have been for the past 18years.

so whats wrong with that...should you support your local team because you stay near there ground or the team which has been in my family for years?!

Charlie-Brown

I can respect most non Old Firm team supporters reasons for supporting their team regardless of family or local ties.... :)

i was born and bred in dundee but cant stand either of the local teams i was taken to the hearts v killie game by my uncle and cousin in 65 .that was me a jambo for life even though my dad was a dundee fan as far as i know there is nothing in the rules that says youve to support the team you live closest to.

jamboinglasgow

My family was traditionly a rugby following team, but my brothers loved football so my dad took them to a couple of derbys. One brother was a hibs fan (now a massive jambo) and the other is a bigger jambo than me. My dad took me to a hearts match with my jambo supporting brother. Was a jambo ever since.

Hearts are the closest team to me (about 1.5miles) so closer than any other team. Therefore my local team, but a little family influnce. (Oh and my family are now massive jambos, and future generations should hopefully be as well.)

Carl Weathers

I'm from Edinburgh but I guess the Hobos would be my local team as I was brought up in Leith, Restalrig and Portobello.

Luckily my dad brought me up in the correct fashion.

My mate is an Ayr fan and always has a go at me for not supporting my local team.

We both stay close to Sommerset but I support Hearts as my dad is a Hearts fan and his father was a jambo and so was his etc... My dads from Edinburgh but i was born down here and as my dad took me to Hearts games from a very young age..so naturaly im now a Hearts fan and have been for the past 18years.

so whats wrong with that...should you support your local team because you stay near there ground or the team which has been in my family for years?!

One things for sure , you cant be accused of bieng a glory hunter.:)

scott herbertson

Brought up mainly in Northfield but from a long line of hearts men so not a second thrught about it

Cheers Guys.....it was starting to get to me with the crap he's talking, but is all good now!

JTID :108years:

My old man's a Bristol Rovers fan so that wasn't really an option for me what with them being in a different country. I grew up in a Hearts area so I support Hearts.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Jambo due to family (father and grandfather), but also I was brought up in Uphall so Hearts were my local side (pre Livingston days)

Family , all my three total Hearts, born and bred in the North East of England,

their dislike of their local club (ELP) very much surprises me :mw_rolleyes:

Used to get that all the time despite being fortunate enough to be born in Edinburgh was brought up in Rosyth and used to get abuse for not supporting my local team but my Dad's a Jambo and there was no way he was gonna let his sons be anything but Hearts fans.

Agree with what has already been said i don't have a problem with anyone choosing to support any team outside the ugly sisters and never understood all these guys who claim to be die hard Rangers/Celtic fans despite never going to games and having no links to either club

john brownlee

Well ther you go

Brought up as a hearts supporter from Gorgie rd 335

move to pilton as a baby, then leith, back to to wheatfield st and then to nittin

so who should I support, Hearts . them or the star and of course I have lived in manchester liverpool london carlisle and Plymouth and all points east

I'm a Hearts fan because of the local reason. Support your local Sheriff and all that. Grew up in Tollcross.

But now I live in Glasgow but my son supports Hearts because of me. The family reason. Can't blame him.

So for those two reasons I think its a tie between Local and Family.

Supported hearts since 92 when my family moved to Edinburgh. Was 7 at the time and chose support the team most of my friends did in Baberton. My best mate was a Hibs fan and my dad is die hard Rangers but I suppose i just went with the crowd. Glad i did though. I could so easily have ended up a gers fan though so lucky escape there! :108years:

Family - no doubt in my mind. My dad is a diehard jambo and took me to hearts matches from when i was six/seven years old. I lived in Aberdeen til i was 18 but obviously i've supported the Famous. And I'm glad, can't imagine what it would be like to be a sheep! Awful! Acceptable in the 80's. Imagine how you'd feel if your son/daughter turned out to be a hibee/sheep/OF supporter. You'd be gutted. My sister is going out with a Hibs ST holder and she's said to me, if they ever had kids, they'd be jambos, no question. :laugh:

Never ever forget the day.

I think i was about 5-6 yrs old walking to the shops with my dad.

Turned up to him and asked ........

" What team do you support dad "

Lucky for him it was the right answer " Hearts son ".

" So do I "

I skipped all the way down the road.

The rest as they say is history.

:)

God Bless

I was born in Edinburgh to a Hearts fanatic of a father. I was brought home from the hospital in my dad's Hearts scarf.

Someone else on this thread cannot say that, someone else on this thread is currently supporting their second Edinburgh side. ;)

Wife's family. We first shared a flat at Roseburn and me brother in law took me to Tyney. I'd always looked down me nose at Scottish football before actually going to see a game. Only ever saw the OF on telly down south and didn't like either of em. 90 minutes later I'm a believer.

It's local for me, otherwise I would have ended up a dirty bluenose *shudder*

I wasn't a Hearts fan the first time my brother took me along to see my local team.

But as soon as I walked onto that terrace I was hooked.

My dad is 'a Hearts fan': but you could count on Jake "3 fingers" Reid's hand the number of games he took me to.

Buffalo Bill

My dads from currie and always been a Hearts man so it was inevitable Id follow him.

I owe that man alot! :)

If I was supporting my local team it would probably be Raith. I like to see them do well but thats about it.

No ties with Edinburgh or Hearts supporting relatives. My uncle used to take me to Stirling Albion (local team) in the early 60's which was fine until the fateful day Hearts came to town and I decided to support them because I liked the colour of their strip.

50 years later it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride but I wouldn't have missed it for the world, it's an absolute privilege to support this club. :flag2:

it's an absolute privilege to support this club. :flag2:

:thumb:

When I first started getting interested in watching footy I lived in Perth.

All of my classmates were St Johnstone supporters.

Cheers Dad :)

Cheers Guys.....it was starting to get to me with the crap he's talking, but is all good now!

JTID :108years:

just take him to the shanter and get him drunk:laugh:

family for me well ma mums side anyway

Grandad and uncles all hearts fans so had no choice in the matter am glad it turned out this way. Or a would have to developed a drugs habit and bought a caravan:D:D:D:tongue:

still go to games with ma grandad and uncles. We still all sit close to each other and seem some great times and some bad but thats what supporting hearts is all about

It`s a grey area. Could Hearts fans from afar and who are around the late 50`s over 60`s age wise be accused of being glory hunters?

Can Chick Young`s comments that he supported Hearts many moons ago because they were the best around at the time be deemed glory hunting? Of course it can.

Obviously alot of time has passed now since the heady days of the 1950s, 60`s and most Hearts fans support the club because of family ties or locality. But i`m sure because of Hearts history and past we have maintained support from further afield because of that.

Overall i`d say most of us support our club because of family, but then how does one support end up bigger than the other?(between Hearts and Hibs)Alot of it must come down to success and what club is most impressionable on youngsters at the time.

Ernie Eskilsson

Well I'm from Edinburgh but have lived in Prestwick and Ayr for the last 25 years and brought up both my sons to be Jambos - their grandad was a big influence as well. They're very proud of it and we all enjoyed yesterday's win enormously.

Hearts are my local team. Originally a gorgie boy.

My dad isn't really into football much and there isn't really any family ties to any other particular team.

I'm planning on starting the tradition, hearts all the way!

:thumb:

When I first started getting interested in watching footy I lived in Perth.

All of my classmates were St Johnstone supporters.

Cheers Dad :)

changed days most seem to be huns or tics now.

My laddies not really into football yet, took him to a game last season. liked everything leading up to it, but was downright bored during the game. It was he 2-0 defeat to Killie at home.

We left at half time cause he was so uninterested so thankfully he never watched us getting beat as it was 0-0 at half time.

Anyway I wouldnt have any objection to him supporting the Saints as it will be his local team, but I will be doing everything in my power to guide hime to the light!

I'm from Edinburgh but I guess the Hobos would be my local team as I was brought up in Leith, Restalrig and Portobello.

Luckily my dad brought me up in the correct fashion.

I'm the same, lived in leith all my days, my mates are hobos:108years: but my dad brought me up the right way

changed days most seem to be huns or tics now.

I went to Nothern District Primary School which was just across the road from the old Muirton Park. The school's locality might have had something to do with it.

I'm one of the Hearts family due to them not being Sellik (oldest brother) or Huns (next oldest) when we chose our teams on coming to live in this country in 1970.

Think my late paternal grandad had a bit of a soft spot for the Jambos though he passed away before I could ask him outright. One of my last memories of him is him wearing a maroon-coloured jumper though that could just be my 8-year-old's memory playing tricks.

My dad used to alternate between Tynecastle and t'other place when he'd visit relatives in Edinburgh on leave during his National Service days in the 50s.

So definitely not location, not really family...just good luck and being the intelligent one in the family, I suppose :D

My two oldest boys are now shareholders...and not that interested in football :laugh:

i was born and bred in dundee but cant stand either of the local teams i was taken to the hearts v killie game by my uncle and cousin in 65 .that was me a jambo for life even though my dad was a dundee fan as far as i know there is nothing in the rules that says youve to support the team you live closest to.

Aye and you've travelled many football miles following that fatefull introduction.

Same as you it was family for me by way of my grandad. Some weeks you feel it is like a curse but you need days like yesterday at Rugby Park to convince yourself that you are not off your head!!

Sending my best to you and your good lady.

Grew up in Edinburgh but my dad and older brother both die hard Rangers fans and my mum was a Hibbie ( I say was as over the years she has moved towrds the Jambos due to the abuse i took from my dad and bro. Think she felt sorry for me!)

Our next door neighbour gave me a Hearts Scarf when i was young and that was it.

Fair play to my dad he never tried to change my mind and even took me to some games when he could as he has had a season ticket at Ibrox for over 30years.

My Dad was from Shetland but the minister from the manse next door was a keen Hearts fan and this influenced my Dad. My Mum was a Hibbie from Restalrig but became converted and my first match as a Hearts fan was a 3-1 New Year victory at fester road in the mid 60's. Oh happy times. Mind you I now also support Crawley Town for my taste of real live football!

Dad was a jambo but cash restraints meant he took us to the home game in Edinburgh most weekends so I saw as many Hibs games as hearts games in the 1960s.unfortunately most of the big European games I saw were at Easter Road at that time,despite this I still grew up following Hearts as we stayed locally and I went to Tynecastle School where it was illegal I think to support anyone else,its been a long and sometimes very painfull road since then but absolutely no regrets.

Anyone playing against the ugly sisters has my best wishes,(even Hibs)

i think my dad would of disowned me if i supported anyone other than hearts.

i grew up in carrick knowe then moved out to livingston (pre livingston fc days) so hearts were the local team too.

loveofthegame

My old man's a lifelong Jambo and therefore so am I. On locality Spartans are my closest team, followed by the vermin.

Dad was a jambo but cash restraints meant he took us to the home game in Edinburgh most weekends so I saw as many Hibs games as hearts games in the 1960s.unfortunately most of the big European games I saw were at Easter Road at that time,despite this I still grew up following Hearts as we stayed locally and I went to Tynecastle School where it was illegal I think to support anyone else,its been a long and sometimes very painfull road since then but absolutely no regrets.

Anyone playing against the ugly sisters has my best wishes,(even Hibs)

But not in a Cup Final it the hobbits ever make it surely

winston churchill

i was born in leef:D

the auld man, who came from boness was in the army.

when he came out the army, he married my mum and bought a flat in sunny leef.

my two kids are now members of the hearts leef family, and each have a scottish cup win under their belts:D

i was born in edinburgh and moved down south when i was 5 my dad was a jambo i didn't really have a choice losy my accent though. brought up in drylaw is that closer to hearts or the hobos

Archived