Tangoman off to Norwich (NHC)

t04dg7

They have the world's richest league immediately above them, and the longer you fail to go up, the larger the gap between your club and the EPL becomes. At least half the clubs in the league like to pretend they 'belong' in the EPL, yet only three can go up, hardly any stay up, and sometimes, clubs which don't naturally 'belong' there (eg. Stoke and Hull) go up instead. All of which creates pressure: bucketloads of the stuff.

In the SPL, there's a mountainous, arguably unbridgeable gap between the OF and the rest. There's then only three clubs whose fans expect regular European qualification and top 4 finishes. Three clubs who expect Euro qualification; 12 clubs who expect promotion. There's your answer.

It is the worlds richest league. But its hardly the holy grail to get out of is it? 3 teams go up every year - three come down. We are also seeing the teams who come down now struggling. So its hardly as if the teams which come down go straight back up.

There is a gap with the OF and the rest. That does not make it any less demanding from a fans point of view.

Not much of an answer.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is the worlds richest league. But its hardly the holy grail to get out of is it? 3 teams go up every year - three come down. We are also seeing the teams who come down now struggling. So its hardly as if the teams which come down go straight back up.

There is a gap with the OF and the rest. That does not make it any less demanding from a fans point of view.

Not much of an answer.

Which makes it even more competitive! How often do Motherwell or Killie qualify for Europe? Not very, with Well's success last season looking like a flash in the pan. How often do sides who aren't that big threaten to or actually go up to the EPL? Far more often. And yes, it is the holy grail: getting there is the mission statement of at least half the clubs in the Championship!

Is it Hearts or Aberdeen's mission statement to win the SPL? No - because that'd obviously be unrealistic. Generally, you finish 3rd, then you get stuck: you honestly think that's as demanding as a rat race as competitive as the Championship? I'm amazed.

Sergio Garcia

Calderwood has won heehaw!!!!!

The man is a joke who would get found out down south, only reason he hasnt up here is because of him being part of the Weegie club.

The mans a fat orange tube!!!!

Which makes it even more competitive! How often do Motherwell or Killie qualify for Europe? Not very, with Well's success last season looking like a flash in the pan. How often do sides who aren't that big threaten to or actually go up to the EPL? Far more often. And yes, it is the holy grail: getting there is the mission statement of at least half the clubs in the Championship!

Is it Hearts or Aberdeen's mission statement to win the SPL? No - because that'd obviously be unrealistic. Generally, you finish 3rd, then you get stuck: you honestly think that's as demanding as a rat race as competitive as the Championship? I'm amazed.

You made the point that every year you stay down, the gap gets bigger. My point was it was hardy a closed shop with the teams which go up. Its competitive, no doubt about that - but there are a number of teams which can go up.

And, as I stated earlier - thats why there will be jobs coming up in the summer in the Championship.

Have you been on a Motherwell fans forum this season for a look? Ever been on a Killie one? fans know that they aint going to with the SPL, but that does not stop their fans being demanding and often setting unrealistic targets.

Did you have a look at the Dons forums earlier in the year when they were going through a bad spell?

You must have read kickback in the last 18 months, pretty demanding stuff I would say.

I would imagine most clubs up and down the lland are demanding - even if they cant win leagues.

Should not be in the bottom 3

Should not be near the bottom

Should be pushing for Europe with the squad we have

etc

etc

Still, Mcghee will head to Abderdeen as their fans are not as demanding as down in the Championship.

Calderwood has won heehaw!!!!!

The man is a joke who would get found out down south, only reason he hasnt up here is because of him being part of the Weegie club.

The mans a fat orange tube!!!!

Levein and Csaba have won heehaw too. Are they both 'jokes' as well? And in what way did 'being part of the Weegie club' contribute to him taking Dunfermline to their best period since the 60s, and Aberdeen to their best period since Willie Miller was in charge?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The day we beat Dunfermline 7-1 was probably one of my favourite ever games.

Caldwell has hated us ever since. We took an early lead and he reverted to his famous 4-2-4 system and we absolutely ****ing shagged them.

Stephane Adam was unbelievable that day.

You made the point that every year you stay down, the gap gets bigger. My point was it was hardy a closed shop with the teams which go up. Its competitive, no doubt about that - but there are a number of teams which can go up.

And, as I stated earlier - thats why there will be jobs coming up in the summer in the Championship.

Have you been on a Motherwell fans forum this season for a look? Ever been on a Killie one? fans know that they aint going to with the SPL, but that does not stop their fans being demanding and often setting unrealistic targets.

Did you have a look at the Dons forums earlier in the year when they were going through a bad spell?

You must have read kickback in the last 18 months, pretty demanding stuff I would say.

I would imagine most clubs up and down the lland are demanding - even if they cant win leagues.

Should not be in the bottom 3

Should not be near the bottom

Should be pushing for Europe with the squad we have

etc

etc

Still, Mcghee will head to Abderdeen as their fans are not as demanding as down in the Championship.

JJ's been at Killie for almost seven years now. In that time, he's won nothing, and failed to qualify for Europe on any occasion - yet it's generally accepted he's done a decent job there. What does that tell you? Calderwood's still at Aberdeen despite winning nothing, and only qualifying for Europe once; and the man who led them to their worst league campaign in history was actually popular there! What does that tell you?

Life at the top end of the Championship is more prestigious, certainly; but far, far more fraught. It's easier in the SPL, and you get the chance to play in Europe too. When Levein failed at Leicester, did you put it down to him being a crap manager? Or to the madness of him being expected to dismantle one side, and not given the chance to build his own one? They've got worse since he left; he's gone on to prosper. Go figure.

The day we beat Dunfermline 7-1 was probably one of my favourite ever games.

Caldwell has hated us ever since. We took an early lead and he reverted to his famous 4-2-4 system and we absolutely ****ing shagged them.

Stephane Adam was unbelievable that day.

There is no doubt something in this. A lot of people in Scottish football seem to hate Hearts for some reason. **** 'em. :)

Levein and Csaba have won heehaw too. Are they both 'jokes' as well? And in what way did 'being part of the Weegie club' contribute to him taking Dunfermline to their best period since the 60s, and Aberdeen to their best period since Willie Miller was in charge?

Csaba won the league in Hungary with Ferencvaros in 2004.

JJ's been at Killie for almost seven years now. In that time, he's won nothing, and failed to qualify for Europe on any occasion - yet it's generally accepted he's done a decent job there. What does that tell you? Calderwood's still at Aberdeen despite winning nothing, and only qualifying for Europe once; and the man who led them to their worst league campaign in history was actually popular there! What does that tell you?

Life at the top end of the Championship is more prestigious, certainly; but far, far more fraught. It's easier in the SPL, and you get the chance to play in Europe too. When Levein failed at Leicester, did you put it down to him being a crap manager? Or to the madness of him being expected to dismantle one side, and not given the chance to build his own one? They've got worse since he left; he's gone on to prosper. Go figure.

Does any of your first pararaph suggest anything that fans do not have expectations? JJ was close to the boot last year - and why? expectations.

Many Aberdeen fans would quite happy see Calderwood leave - why? They dont like him and think they should be (shock) doing better than they are doing - why? expectations.

Levein? He has admitted his mistakes - and in the end expectations got him the boot.

To sum up - expectations are high, up and down the country - no matter if you can win the league or not.

To suggest that their is more expectation in the Championship than up in Scotland due to only the OF can win the league, just cant see it.

As someone who watches SPL games on a near weekly basis and speaks to fans of other SPL clubs - think I can give a fair assesment (sp) on that.

Sergio Garcia

Levein will no doubt win something, if it wasnt for bad refereeing the league cup was his last year, and Csaba has been here only 6 months and previously won league in Turkey,having seen Csaba in action and talking to fans off other clubs who have seen Hearts in the flesh and on tv, most agree he is a very good manager who will go on to bigger things.

I would like to make a wager that both Levein and Csaba will win a trophy before The Tangoman, cause im sure that it will be the easiest bet ill ever win!

Pretty much never get any criticism for the press for being part of the Weegie club.

Earlier you pointed out in Calderwoods time at Aberdeen he has gained an extra point, but i dont remember them beating their rivals in the semi final and winning the Scottish Cup in his time there.

Csaba won the league in Hungary with Ferencvaros in 2004.

Yes, I stand corrected! Was he there for the whole season though? Wiki suggests he only joined them in '04 in the first place.

Yes, I stand corrected! Was he there for the whole season though? Wiki suggests he only joined them in '04 in the first place.

To be honest Shaun, I've no idea.

I just remember him talking about winning the league in Hungary within an interview.

Levein will no doubt win something, if it wasnt for bad refereeing the league cup was his last year, and Csaba has been here only 6 months and previously won league in Turkey,having seen Csaba in action and talking to fans off other clubs who have seen Hearts in the flesh and on tv, most agree he is a very good manager who will go on to bigger things.

I would like to make a wager that both Levein and Csaba will win a trophy before The Tangoman, cause im sure that it will be the easiest bet ill ever win!

Pretty much never get any criticism for the press for being part of the Weegie club.

Earlier you pointed out in Calderwoods time at Aberdeen he has gained an extra point, but i dont remember them beating their rivals in the semi final and winning the Scottish Cup in his time there.

Which is probably because he's been on half our budget. You're not going to suggest Valdas is a better manager than Tangoman, are you? I agree: Levein and Csaba probably will win something before he does, mainly because his time at Aberdeen seems to be drawing to a close, one way or another. And from there, his next stop will be the Championship, League One, or back to Holland.

Sergio Garcia
Which is probably because he's been on half our budget. You're not going to suggest Valdas is a better manager than Tangoman, are you? I agree: Levein and Csaba probably will win something before he does, mainly because his time at Aberdeen seems to be drawing to a close, one way or another. And from there, his next stop will be the Championship, League One, or back to Holland.

I would rather have Valdas than Tangoman, I dont rate Tangoman, think he is a very poor manager.

Given his own reigns i think Valdas would have done a good job.

Even if Tangoman stays up here, Levein and Csaba will win before him.

On paper, tangoman has done a decent job at Aberdeen. But we all know that really isn't the case. They've been dire, eeking out 1 goal wins and I genuinely consider them one of the luckiest teams in the league over the last few years. The Aberdeen fans don't even rate him.

I can't believe Shaun is saying Aberdeen should be considered the 3rd force when they've only had 1 3rd place finish is god knows how many years.

winston churchill
There is no doubt something in this. A lot of people in Scottish football seem to hate Hearts for some reason. **** 'em. :)

the best post you have ever typed.

The quicker that welt is away from the SPL the better.

Arsepiece of a man.

Edit - some quality banter throughout this thread. :biggrin:

On paper, tangoman has done a decent job at Aberdeen. But we all know that really isn't the case. They've been dire, eeking out 1 goal wins and I genuinely consider them one of the luckiest teams in the league over the last few years. The Aberdeen fans don't even rate him.

I can't believe Shaun is saying Aberdeen should be considered the 3rd force when they've only had 1 3rd place finish is god knows how many years.

Except on that basis, we don't deserve to be 5th: how many one goal wins have we had this season? But we do - because the league table never lies. :)

And hey, here's a wild idea. If we want to be considered the third force, how about we finish above them in the league, out-perform them and overhaul their trophy count? Until we do, the debate is bound to continue.

I would rather have Valdas than Tangoman, I dont rate Tangoman, think he is a very poor manager.

Given his own reigns i think Valdas would have done a good job.

Even if Tangoman stays up here, Levein and Csaba will win before him.

Out of those four, my pecking order would be:

1. Levein

2. Csaba

3. Calderwood

4. Ivanauskas

And of the five candidates apparently shortlisted and set to be interviewed for the Norwich job, my pecking order would be:

1. Boothroyd

2. Ince

3. J. Calderwood

4. Robins

5. C. Calderwood

Final league placings are what matters how many yimes have they finished above us?

Correct. Shaun is a master of twisting things to suit his own agenda. For example, he conveniently forgets to mention Hearts gaining entry to the Champions League and winning the Scottish Cup. :rolleyes:

Once Shaun finishes being a professional interweb poster, a career in politics awaits. :)

Correct. Shaun is a master of twisting things to suit his own agenda. For example, he conveniently forgets to mention Hearts gaining entry to the Champions League and winning the Scottish Cup. :rolleyes:

Once Shaun finishes being a professional interweb poster, a career in politics awaits. :)

The Champions League qualifiers, of course. Together asked about how often they'd finished above us: I reminded him that it was three times in the last four years.

Didn't I see you being touted for a political career the other day? It takes one to know one, I guess... :)

Except on that basis, we don't deserve to be 5th: how many one goal wins have we had this season? But we do - because the league table never lies. :)

And hey, here's a wild idea. If we want to be considered the third force, how about we finish above them in the league, out-perform them and overhaul their trophy count? Until we do, the debate is bound to continue.

In the past 11 years Shaun, Hearts have won the Scottish cup twice, qualified for Europe in 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006 and have an average placing of 4th in the league. This compares to Aberdeen who have won hee haw, finished bottom in 2000, qualified for Europe twice over the same periond. Also they've consistently averaged around 2 to 3,000 less in home attendance. There isn't even any debate about who is the 3rd club in Scotland in recent times in my eyes.

I just don't think you understand Scottish football Shaun. Sure you've got a good memory for statistics and a reasonable analytical mind, but it is that fundamental inability to understand the mentality of Scottish football supporters that would prevent you from ever having any kind of sports journalism career up here.

The Champions League qualifiers,

Hearts were in the Champions League tournament. Fact.

In the past 11 years Shaun, Hearts have won the Scottish cup twice, qualified for Europe in 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006 and have an average placing of 4th in the league. This compares to Aberdeen who have won hee haw, finished bottom in 2000, qualified for Europe twice over the same periond. Also they've consistently averaged around 2 to 3,000 less in home attendance. There isn't even any debate about who is the 3rd club in Scotland in recent times in my eyes.

I just don't think you understand Scottish football Shaun. Sure you've got a good memory for statistics and a reasonable analytical mind, but it is that fundamental inability to understand the mentality of Scottish football supporters that would prevent you from ever having any kind of sports journalism career up here.

And in one sentence, you neatly summarise why Scottish football gets the journalists it does. Something to remind you next time you slag one of them off, methinks.

Between 1996 and 2004, Hearts were way ahead of Aberdeen. Since then, they've caught us up again, and their league finishes have been more consistent than ours. For which we only have ourselves to blame - but there it is. They only had themselves to blame for their slump in the late 90s and around the turn of the century too. That's football: these things are cyclical. But given the amount of posters on here who insist that Liverpool are more successful than Man Utd because they've won more trophies... well, it's up to us to go past Aberdeen's haul, isn't it? And they're still two ahead of us.

Sergio Garcia
Out of those four, my pecking order would be:

1. Levein

2. Csaba

3. Calderwood

4. Ivanauskas

Well my pecking order;

1 Csaba

2 Levein

3 Valdas

4 My maw

5 Your maw

6 Csaba maw

7 My dog

8 My dogs maw

Pretty much loads of ppl instead the very poor Tangoman.

And as for Norwich job i couldnt give a flying ****** to a very poor English side, who have only been useful for the legend of Jeremy Goss!

Hearts were in the Champions League tournament. Fact.

If Aberdeen had achieved the same thing, no way on earth would you be describing it as the above. Fact. :)

Well my pecking order;

1 Csaba

2 Levein

3 Valdas

4 My maw

5 Your maw

6 Csaba maw

7 My dog

8 My dogs maw

And as for Norwich job i couldnt give a flying ****** to a very poor English side, who have only been useful for the legend of Jeremy Goss!

Who has finished above us three times out of four. :) Fair comment on Norwich, by the way: I included that list merely to place his abilities in perspective.

If Aberdeen had achieved the same thing, no way on earth would you be describing it as the above. Fact. :)

As sheep haven't managed it, your comment is nothing more than speculation. Fact. :)

As sheep haven't managed it, your comment is nothing more than speculation. Fact. :)

Well, on the basis that you dismiss their Cup Winners' Cup victory on the grounds that it was against "the worst Real Madrid side in history" (one which finished 2nd, by a whole point), I'd suggest my speculation is pretty well founded...

And in one sentence, you neatly summarise why Scottish football gets the journalists it does. Something to remind you next time you slag one of them off, methinks.

Between 1996 and 2004, Hearts were way ahead of Aberdeen. Since then, they've caught us up again, and their league finishes have been more consistent than ours. For which we only have ourselves to blame - but there it is. They only had themselves to blame for their slump in the late 90s and around the turn of the century too. That's football: these things are cyclical. But given the amount of posters on here who insist that Liverpool are more successful than Man Utd because they've won more trophies... well, it's up to us to go past Aberdeen's haul, isn't it? And they're still two ahead of us.

In all honesty Shaun, that is probably correct, however sad it may seem. I think people from out with Scotland struggle to understand just how intense the rivalries are up here. Due the parochial nature of the SPL and the fact the clubs play each other so often, the supporters of each of the bigger clubs in particular cannot stand each other.

Hearts hate Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers and Celtic and vice versa. We also have the added problem that we are seen as the biggest fish in the east coast footballing pond and so thus supporters of teams such as Dunfermline and Falkirk also have genuine hatred of HMFC. Events that have occurred such as Fans United days down South, would never happen up here. It's an entirely different mentality. Failing to understand that is to fail to understand Scottish football.

In all honesty Shaun, that is probably correct, however sad it may seem. I think people from out with Scotland struggle to understand just how intense the rivalries are up here. Due the parochial nature of the SPL and the fact the clubs play each other so often, the supporters of each of the bigger clubs in particular cannot stand each other.

Hearts hate Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers and Celtic and vice versa. We also have the added problem that we are seen as the biggest fish in the east coast footballing pond and so thus supporters of teams such as Dunfermline and Falkirk also have genuine hatred of HMFC. Events that have occurred such as Fans United days down South, would never happen up here. It's an entirely different mentality. Failing to understand that is to fail to understand Scottish football.

:clap:

I know Martin. I think it's a huge pity. This doesn't mean I don't understand it, mind you - though I do have a card carrying role of JKB's straight man (uh, maybe!) to protect here. Which oddly enough, winds people up as much as if I was just trolling!

Well, on the basis that you dismiss their Cup Winners' Cup victory on the grounds that it was against "the worst Real Madrid side in history" (one which finished 2nd, by a whole point), I'd suggest my speculation is pretty well founded...

It is widely recognised the 1982-83 season was the poorest ever in La Liga in terms of overall quality of the participating teams. Another fact.

It is widely recognised the 1982-83 season was the poorest ever in La Liga in terms of overall quality of the participating teams. Another fact.

:laugh:

Find me at least two articles saying as much.

Find me at least two articles saying as much.

I'm not a secretary. :mad:

Search the Spanish football/press/media web sites and you'll find what you're looking for.

I'm not a secretary. :mad:

Search the Spanish football/press/media web sites and you'll find what you're looking for.

Last season's Primera Liga was pretty pants, Mr T - but in the 80s, it was just run of the mill stuff. Neither that good, nor that bad.

jambos are go!

You cant hide the evidence that Calderwood can improve teams ala Dunfermline and Aberdeen. And he wants his teams to play a passing game.

You cant hide the evidence that Calderwood can improve teams ala Dunfermline and Aberdeen. And he wants his teams to play a passing game.

*falls off his chair in shock at someone agreeing with him*

*falls off his chair in shock at someone agreeing with him*

You do realise that it's against the rules to have multiple user names....?

You do realise that it's against the rules to have multiple user names....?

:D

Well my pecking order;

1 Csaba

2 Levein

3 Valdas

4 My maw

5 Your maw

6 Csaba maw

7 My dog

8 My dogs maw

And don't forget Robert Fleck, whose Chelsea career I had the misfortune to witness and is up there in terms of total useless dross alongside those other CFC giants Scott Minto and Paul Furlong.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I would argue the exact opposite. Anybody who wasn't raised on the pathetic, childish parochialism of Scottish football would make an excellent Scottish football journalist.

And don't forget Robert Fleck, whose Chelsea career I had the misfortune to witness and is up there in terms of total useless dross alongside those other CFC giants Scott Minto and Paul Furlong.

Ah yes, Rab C. Fleck. One of a distinguished list of Norwich players who went on to be an umitigated disaster at their next club:

"A goal? A bliddy goal, is it? Well ah'll tell yi this, boy, ah will tell yi this. See me, by the way? Stoatin' aroonabox like a Govan boy waitin' on a Giro, know? See the ball hit me on the napper? Ah kinna brung it doon, gied the big numpty in defence the old hipsway an' left his arse in the keech. Then did yi see the flyness o' me? A wee dunt o' the toecap an' the tube in front o' thae sticks cudnae keep it oot. Pure bliddy magic, so it was!"

David - were you at the Chelsea 2 Norwich 3 game in September 1992? Known to all and sundry as the "Dave Beasant game"? :D

PS. Oh, and that's a blatant slur on Scott Minto! He was part of the first Chelsea side to win a major trophy in 26 years!

Hackney Hearts
they've won more trophies... well, it's up to us to go past Aberdeen's haul, isn't it? And they're still two ahead of us.

Does this mean we have to get past Queen's Park's haul of Scottish Cups before we can consider ourselves bigger than them??

Does this mean we have to get past Queen's Park's haul of Scottish Cups before we can consider ourselves bigger than them??

Nah - I'm talking total trophies won here. For the record, I certainly think Hearts are bigger than Aberdeen - but we won't convince all observers of our case until we leave them firmly in our wake.

Sigh.

Besides Real, 1982-83 Cup Winners Cup included:

Barcelona

Inter Milan

Bayern

PSG

Tottenham (who would win the supposedly stronger UEFA Cup 12 months later)

Red Star Belgrade

IFK Gothenburg (UEFA winners in '82 and '87)

Plus the supposedly legendary Austria Vienna.

Besides Real, 1982-83 Cup Winners Cup included:

Barcelona

Inter Milan

Bayern

PSG

Tottenham (who would win the supposedly stronger UEFA Cup 12 months later)

Red Star Belgrade

IFK Gothenburg (UEFA winners in '82 and '87)

And? How many of those did you play? :rolleyes:

And? How many of those did you play? :rolleyes:

You'll be telling me Hearts' 2006 Scottish Cup win doesn't count next. Because who did we play?

Archived