I can forgive everything but laziness

Diego10

Does anyone else get bugged by this complete myth that get spouted all the time but turns out to be absolute nonsense in reality.

I was reading a thread about Larry Kingston, when I came across the oft-touted line 'I can forgive players not being good enough, but not being lazy'.

Which is a noble sentiment, but would strike me as being rubbish from most people who use it, since there are dozens of players at Tynecastle over the years who have given their all yet been slaughtered by our support, both at games and more vitriolically, on KB. Calum Elliot is one such, Jamie Mole another. Their effort is never in question, yet both of them take far more stick than Kingston.

glad to have got that out my system, thanks!

scott herbertson

Good point

it should read:

"I can forgive everything else except laziness and being crap at football"

Jam Tarts 1874
Does anyone else get bugged by this complete myth that get spouted all the time but turns out to be absolute nonsense in reality.

I was reading a thread about Larry Kingston, when I came across the oft-touted line 'I can forgive players not being good enough, but not being lazy'.

Which is a noble sentiment, but would strike me as being rubbish from most people who use it, since there are dozens of players at Tynecastle over the years who have given their all yet been slaughtered by our support, both at games and more vitriolically, on KB. Calum Elliot is one such, Jamie Mole another. Their effort is never in question, yet both of them take far more stick than Kingston.

Calum Elliot DID NOT give his all, his attitude at times was appauling whilst he sculked around the pitch falling on his back-side more times than any player I can remember and constantly whingeing to the referee for non-existent fouls.

Teuchterjambo

Agree with what you say - maybe a more accurate assessment would be that outsanding talent that never comes to fruition because of bad attitude and laziness is unforgiveable.

How common it is though - there are so many talents wasted for one reason or another and it is so frustrating. The late great Willie Hamilton was such a major talent - a legend at both Tynecastle and Easter Road but could have been a legend far beyond. On the other hand so many honest to goodness pros who even if they had been blessed with a fraction of the talent of others could have been greats - in my era Jimmy Brown springs to mind.

Life's not fair but to waste a talent is such a shame - enter stage left Larry Kingston !

i think the sentiment is more to do with what any given player has control over, and what he doesn't.

the player can only be as good as he is and can't magically turn himself into a better player through the power of thought, however the player can give either 100% effort or less than 100% depending on lazy they might be.

in other words, putting in the effort is the easy bit and should be achieved by every player, whereas poorer quality players can only attain a certain level of performance.

so in that respect, the often used phrase makes perfect sense.

i think the sentiment is more to do with what any given player has control over, and what he doesn't.

the player can only be as good as he is and can't magically turn himself into a better player through the power of thought, however the player can give either 100% effort or less than 100% depending on lazy they might be.

in other words, putting in the effort is the easy bit and should be achieved by every player, whereas poorer quality players can only attain a certain level of performance.

so in that respect, the often used phrase makes perfect sense.

I don't think there's any problem at all with the sentiment. if you value hard workers then there's nowt wrong with that. I just think that the evidence of how people react to hard working, but less talented players doesn't back it up.

Agree with what you say - maybe a more accurate assessment would be that outsanding talent that never comes to fruition because of bad attitude and laziness is unforgiveable.

How common it is though - there are so many talents wasted for one reason or another and it is so frustrating. The late great Willie Hamilton was such a major talent - a legend at both Tynecastle and Easter Road but could have been a legend far beyond. On the other hand so many honest to goodness pros who even if they had been blessed with a fraction of the talent of others could have been greats - in my era Jimmy Brown springs to mind.

Life's not fair but to waste a talent is such a shame - enter stage left Larry Kingston !

I 100% agree with you. I think it's horrible to watch players who could be something special gliding through games not really giving one. Skacel had his moments, Kingston does too. but their laziness is never abused to the sam extent as Mole's inability to get a shot on target 4 games on the bounce!

I don't think there's any problem at all with the sentiment. if you value hard workers then there's nowt wrong with that. I just think that the evidence of how people react to hard working, but less talented players doesn't back it up.

well you're dead right about that last bit.

step forward one robbie neilson.

Archived